GEORGE W. GOOD, a representative business man of Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, well known as a contractor an promoter, is a descendant by both paternal and maternal lines from pioneer stock of this section of the "Keystone" state. He traces his descent on both sides to both German and Swiss ancestors.
George W. Good, son of Henry Good, was born in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, in 1849, received his education there, and lived in Harrison City, until 1873, when removed with his family to Greensburg, same county. Here he was engaged in the musical instrument business until 1880, when he removed with his family to Altoona, Pennsylvania, an continued this business for a time. About 1886 he returned to Greensburg and engaged in the general contraction business, in which he made a remarkably successful record. His first contract of importance was the construction or the Greensburg, Jeannette and Pittsburg trolley line, and was one of the promoters and builders of the Greensburg an Southern trolley line. He also executed large contracts for street paving in Greensburg, and many dithers of a public or semi-public nature. Among the important buildings in the city which he erected are the following : The court house, in 1891, which he erected in the remarkable short time of forty-seven days ; John W. Polin's store building ; St. Clair Opera House ; Star brewery ; parochial school ; Westmoreland Grocery Company's building, and many others. He was always ready to promote anything that promised for the welfare and improvement of the city, and allowed no opportunity to pass to further its interests. He was a man of sound business judgment and keen discernment, and had won the respect and confidence of all who knew him. He was a member and deacon of the Reformed church. He was also a member of the following organizations : Greensburg Lodge, No. 518, F. and A. M. ; Urania Chapter, No. 192 ; Kedron Commandery, No. 18, K. T. He died January 6, 1905, regretted by a large circle of friends. He was one of the leading business men of Greensburg, and commanded unalloyed confidence an regard in his native county. He married Maria Lenhart, a native of Westmoreland county, daughter of Michael Lenhart, whose ancestors were among the early settlers in Westmoreland county, and had three children : Minnie, married Curtis H. Greeg, an attorney of Greensburg ; Lavinia, wife of P. W. Hudson, secretary of the Opera House Company, Greensburg, Pennsylvania ; Frank, of whom later.
Frank Good, only son of George W. and Maria (Lenhart) Good, was born in Harrison City, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, February 6, 1872. Almost his entire life hitherto has been spent in Greensburg. It was there he received his early education in the public schools, later entering the high school graduating as a member of the class f 1889. He then entered the Westmoreland and Jefferson College, where he remained as a student for two years, but did not complete the entire course. Withdrawing from this institution he returned to Greensburg, where he commenced the practical study of law under the preceptorship an in the office of Curtis H. Greeg, one of the leading members of the bar in Westmoreland county, and continued these studies under this able tuition and guidance until he was eligible for admission to the bar, which occurred in April, 1895. Since that time he has been engaged in the practice of his profession in Greensburg, through other interests demand a good portion of his time and attention. He became associated in business with his father under the firm name of Good and Company. He is at the present time (1906) president of the St. Clair Opera House Company, a very flourishing institution. His political proclivities are Democratic, and he is a member of the Reformed church. He is associated fraternally with following organizations : Westmoreland Lodge, No. 518, A. F. and A. M. ; Urania Chapter, No. 192, R. A. M. ; Kedron Commandery, No. 16, K. T. ; Lodge No. 511, B . P. O. E. Mr.. Good married, October 16, 1902, Viola Frantz, of New Rochelle, New York, daughter of Jacob F. Frantz, president of the Twentieth Century Dental Company, a large concern in the city of New York. Mr. and Mrs. Good have two children : Gertrude, born January 1, 1904 ; George, June 15, 1905.
Source Pages 59 & 60 History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N. Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906
Transcribed December 31, 1999 by Marilynn Wienke for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project