FREDERICK GOEHRING, one of the lending and substantial business men of West Newton, Pennsylvania, was born February 21, 1871, the son of Martin and Mary (Hunker) Goehring, who were both natives of Württemberg. Germany, where they were reared in humble circumstances. After their marriage, they emigrated to the United States, locating at Hunkers Station. After a short time they removed to West Newton, where they spent the remainder of their lives. Martin Goehring was a laborer, and was variously occupied after he came to this country. Mrs. Goehring is still living. Their children were: Christian.. engaged in the livery business at West Newton : Martin, a clerk in West Newton: Marv, wife of George P. Buider, West Newton; John G., a druggist; Frederick, of whom later; William L., a merchant; and Anna.
Frederick Goehring was reared in West Newton and acquired his education in the public schools of that place. When twenty years of age he entered the employ of Frederick Schoaf in the foundry business in West Newton, remaining there some eight years, and was for a short time employed in the coal company's store. However, Mr. Goehring decided to enter in business for himself, so he formed a partnership with Henry A. McLain and they established a furniture business. Their business increased so rapidly during the succeeding four years that they were obliged to remove to more commodious quarters. They established themselves in the Weimer building, where they have a large, attractive salesroom. From the outset the business has been a success, owing to the good management and general fair dealing which have characterized all their transactions. The proprietors are certainly to be congratulated upon their well-deserved patronage. Politically Mr. Goehring is a staunch Democrat, and strongly advocates the principles of that party. He is a member of the K. O. T. M., and in matters of religion he accords with the doctrines of the Lutheran church, of which he is a regular and consistent attendant. April 9, 1896, Frederick Goehring married Martha B. McLain, daughter of Henry A. McLain, and their children are: Cynthia Dorothy and Albert McLain.
Source: Page(s) 232-233, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed August 2008 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project