LEVI T. GILBERT, M. D., son of Alexander and Sarah (Tarr) Gilbert, was born June 8. 1865, at Bullskin, Fayette county, Pennsylvania. His father was born near Gettysburg. Adams county, Pennsylvania, flay 23, 1824, and at the age of seventeen years came to Fayette county where he worked at his trade, bricklaying, which he had learned in Adams county, and after five years he purchased fifty acres of wild land in Bullskin township. This he constantly improved, clearing the land, erecting buildings and cultivating the soil. Later he added twenty acres, and followed his trade in connection with his farming until he was seventy years of age. Most of the brick buildings in this section of the country were erected by him. In politics his sympathies have been always strongly Democratic, but he has ever displayed the tolerance for other people's views of a true gentleman. At the advanced age of eighty-one years he still displays his natural activity. His wife, Sarah Tarr Gilbert, a daughter of James R. Tarr, was born in Westmoreland county, near Tarr's Station. She died in 1901, aged seventy-one. Eight children were born to them: Josephine, wife of Frank Gilbert, of Columbus, Ohio; John, a bricklayer, of Butler county, Pennsylvania; Mary, deceased wife of James Marsh, of Irwin, Pennsylvania; Minerva, deceased wife of Irwin Muir, Braddock, Pennsylvania: Lydia, wife of John T. Farmer, Homewood, Pennsylvania; James R., a farmer at Bullskin, Pennsylvania; Levi T., of whom later; and Frank, who died in childhood.
Levi T. Gilbert was reared on the farm and lived there until he reached the age of twenty-two years. When he was seventeen years old he began to teach in the public schools of his native town and continued this vocation for five years. His education was acquired at the public schools of his native place, at the Edinboro Normal school and at the Institute at Mount Pleasant, Pennsylvania. In 1888 he went to Mount Pleasant to live, and was employed there for three years in the general store of D. P. Lowe. In 1891 he removed to Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania, and found employment. In 1892 he took up the study of medicine with Dr. J. E. Rigg, then entered the Western Pennsylvania Medical College, in the fall of 1893, from which institution he graduated in 1896. He first took up practice in Alverton, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, and continued there, engaged in general practice, for eight years. In April, 1904, he located at Scottdale and has established a large practice, due to his high position in the profession and also to his genial and trust-inspiring disposition. He is a member of the American Medical Association, the Westmoreland County Medical Society and the Pennsylvania State Medical Association. Also a member of A. I. O. K. M., No. 342, the M. W. of A., Camp 9779, of which he is also medical examiner, Orpad Commandery of Scottdale, of Phi Beta Pi, of which fraternity he was chairman during his college days, and of the Western Pennsylvania Alumni Association. He is also, in addition to his regular practice, medical examiner for the New York Mutual, the Equitable and the Prudential Life Insurance companies. He is a contributor to the New York Medical Journal and the Pennsylvania Medical Journal.
Dr. Gilbert married, June 12, 1887, Rebecca Brooks, daughter of George W. and Lucinda Brooks, of Fayette county. They have two children, Carl A. and Earl V. Gilbert. The family is active in church work, belonging to the Methodist Episcopal church, the doctor being class leader and active in the Sabbath school. He is the owner of a comfortable home at 100 North Chestnut street, and is one of the leading men of his town, standing at the head of his profession, commanding the sincere respect and admiration of all who come in contact with him.
Source: Page(s) 200-201, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed August 2008 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project