LEWIS R. EICHER, contractor and builder of Scottdale, was born November 23, 1859. He attended the public schools of his native place, then took a course of bookkeeping and read medicine at the State Normal school at Valparaiso, Indiana, during the winter of 1880-81. In the spring of 1881 he returned to Scottdale and took up the trade of carpentering with his father. He continued at that for two years, and then entered the sheet mill, beginning at the bottom and working up through all the grades to that of roller. At the end of four years his health failed, so he returned to the carpenter business, working as a journeyman in Jeannette and Scottdale. In 1894 he and his brother, John F. Eicher, formed a partnership as contractors and builders under the firm title of Eicher Bros., which firm existed for a period of five years and nine months. Lewis R. Eicher then withdrew and engaged in contracting and building on his own account, then entered the employ of J. W. Ruth as outside foreman, and during a period of two years erected the First National Bank, the Savings and Trust Company's building and the private residences of Messrs. Hill, Keister and Jarritt. In 1902 he again went into contracting on his own account, since which time he has erected the J. S. Parker block, the Overholt flats, the dwelling of George Warner, the dwelling of Martin King, at New Haven, Pennsylvania, and many others. He confines his operations mainly to Scottdale and vicinity, and has as many as fifteen people in his employ. Mr. Eicher is a stockholder in some of the largest and most important enterprises of Scottdale, and is a member of the borough council. He is a charter member of the A. I. O. K. M., No. 342, Arpad Lodge, of Scottdale.
Mr. Eicher married, October 20, 1881, Cynthia M. Graft, daughter of Jacob L. and Harriet Graft. Their children are: Charles F., Ruby, Florence, Herman R., Harrison C., Leroy, Ethel May, William, Alfa, and Ralph G., who died in infancy. They are members of the Presbyterian church.
Source: Page(s) 172, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed May 2007 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project