CHARLES F. EHALT, the genial and well known proprietor of Hotel Ehalt, at Greensburg, formerly know as the Station House, and Union Hotel, is a native of the town in which he now resides, born December 31, 1858, to Jacob and Lydia (Coshey) Ehalt, whose family consisted of seven children : Sybilla E., Mary E., Alice M., Annie E., Gertrude T., Jacob E., and Charles F. Jacob Ehalt (father) was born in Wurtemberg, Bavaria, July 8, 1821, and his wife, who was a daughter of Samuel Coshey, a native of Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania. In 1851 Jacob Ehallt built the hotel know as the Station House, on the present site of the hotel conducted by his son Charles F., and during the years 1869-70 completely remodeled the same. Being a man of the strictest integrity and unimpeachable character, he was never refused a license by the court. He was a staunch Democrat, and a member of the Catholic church, as was also his wife. His death ocurred October 8, 1885.
Charles F. Ehalt was educated in the public schools of Greensburg and St. Vincent College, at Latrobe, where he completed his studies at the age of sixteen. He succeeded his father in the hotel business, and in 1888 remodeled the structure an built an extensive addition thereto. Being brought up in this line off work he is thoroughly familiar with all the details of management, and therefore a large degree of success has attended his well directed efforts. He and his family reside in a private house adjoining the hotel, but entirely separate from it. Mr. Ehalt is a member of the Catholic church, and since attaining young manhood has cast his vote with the Democratic ticket. He has always taken an active part in local politics, and has served seven years as a member of the city council to the satisfaction of his constitutents. He was one of the organizers, and is now a director in the Merchants' Trust Company, a well and favorably known banking institution of Greensburg. Mr. Ehalt married, October 2, 1888, Mary J. Ruffner, of Derry township, a daughter of James and Elizabeth Ruffner. Their children are Helen R., born July 8, 1890 ; Edgar, October 15, 1891 ; Mary J., April 23, 1893 ; Jane F., October 27, 1894 ; Sybilla E., September 11, 1898 ; and Charles F., Jr., June 20, 1900.
Source Pages 54 & 55 History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N. Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906 Transcribed December 31, 1999 by Marilynn Wienke for the Westmoreland County History Project Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project