WILLIAM THEODORE Dom, JR., an attorney practicing in the city of Greensburg, Pennsylvania, was born at that place July 10, 1873, the son of William Theodore and Eliza Jane (mCcULLOUGH) Dom.
(I) Philip Dom, the grandfather, was a native of Hesse Darmstadt, Germany. He came to America about 1821, locating at Berlin, Somerset county, Pennsylvania. In religious faith he was a Lutheran, and in his political views was first a Whig and upon the formation of the Republican party became identified with that organization. By occupation he was a contractor and builder. He aided in building iron furnaces at Wellersburg, Pennsylvania. He also helped to construct the National pike road in the Shenandoah valley between Winchester and Romney, Virginia. He became a prominent citizen, both in Berlin and Wellersburg, Pennsylvania. He married Margaret Gerhardt, a native of Hesse Darmstadt, Germany, a granddaughter of Sir John Jacob Hentz who was the custodian of all the public records of the town of Beuern in Hesse Darmstadt, Germany. The Hentzs were very prominent among the families of that section of Germany.
(II) William Theodore Dom, son of Philip Dom, was one of a family of six brothers and two sisters. He was born August 10, 1844, at Wellersburg. Pennsylvania. He was variously engaged as hotel keeper, merchant, coal and coke superintendent and banker. He now lives a retired life at Greensburg, Pennsylvania. His education was obtained in the public school. The church of his choice is the Presbyterian, and politically he affiliates with the Republican party, but has never sought office. He married Eliza Jane McCollogh who bore him three sons - William Theodore, John McCollogh and Welty McCollogh Dom.
Of Mr. Dom's mother's family it may be said that tradition says that Hugh Brady (I) and Hannah McCormick, his wife, came from the forks of the Delaware and settled in Cumberland county, Pennsylvania, about 1734. They were the parents of nine children.
(II) Hugh Brady, the fourth son of Hugh and Hannah (McCormick) Brady, was born in 1740, and married Jane Young, by whom nine children were born, including one named James.
(III) James Brady, born in 1764, died 1839. He married Rachel Speer and they became the parents of six children including Jane. James Brady removed from the Cumberland valley and settled in Ligonier valley, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania at an early day, but went to Greensburg to assume the duties of sheriff, to which office he was elected in 1794, and resided there until his death. He was elected to the house of representatives for a term of three years. He was also a member of the state senate, three terms of four years each. In 1806 he was speaker of the senate. He was called by Governor Heister as one of his cabinet and served as secretary of the land office. The Bradys were Presbyterians and James was the first elder of this church at Greensburg, of whom there appears to be any record. He appeared as elder in the presbytery in 1802. In 1808 he and his pastor were chosen delegates to the general assembly. He frequently represented the church in the meetings of the presbytery, and from the numbers of committees on which he served in that body he must have been an active and useful member. He was an elder nearly forty years. He was a cousin of Captain Samuel Brady and General Hugh Brady
(IV) Jane Brady, born 1794, died 1873. She married Jacob Welty, who was born in 1791, and died in 1864. They were the parents of seven children. The Weltys came from Switzerland.
1. John Jacob Welty, born in 1720, married Christina Broff, and they were the parents of six children.
II. Henry Welty, son of John Jacob, was born in 1764, died in 1841. He married Catherine Steiner, and they had nine children.
III. Jacob Welty, son of Henry Welty, was born 1791, died 1864. He married Jane Brady (IV), and they were the parents of seven children, including Eliza Catherine,
IV. Eliza Catherine Welty, daughter of Jacob and Jane (Brady) Welty, was born in 1819, died 1882 .. She married John McCollogh, born in 1803, died in 1884. They had six children. The McColloghs came from Scotland and the name was there spelled McColloch.
I. John McColloch's parents removed from Scotland to the south of Ireland, where the father died when John was but six months of age. He was the only child in the family. The McCollochs were United Presbyterians. John came to Cumberland county, Pennsylvania, and settled in Mifflin township, but was subsequently removed to a farm east of Newville. This farm is still owned by the descendants. He was born in 1740 and died in 1808. He married and was the father of eight children.
II. William McCollogh, son of John McCollogh, married Sarah McBride, and they were the parents of eight children, including John.
III. John McCollogh was born in 1803 and died in 1884. He married Eliza Catherine Welty (IV), born 1819, died 1882. They were the parents of six children.
IV. Welty McCollogh, son of John and Eliza C. McCollogh, was born in 1847, died in 1889. He was a graduate of Princeton College, and in 1886 was elected to a seat in congress. He married Ada B. Markle, by whom two children were born.
IV. Eliza Jane McCollogh, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John McCollogh, was born in 1849; married William Theodore Dom, born in 1844. They were the parents of three children - William Theodore, of whom later; John, and Welty Dom.
IV. Anna Welty McCollogh, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John McCollogh, was born in 1862; graduated from the Pennsylvania College for Women; married Denna Charles Ogden, born in 1860, and now a prominent attorney at Greensburg.
III. William Theodore Dom, son of William Theodore and Eliza Jane (McCollogh) Dom, obtained his education at the excellent public schools of Greensburg, his native city, and later attended the Greensburg Seminary and finished at Washington and Jefferson College. In 1894 he registered as a law student with his uncle-in-law, D. C. Ogden, and in 1896 was admitted to the bar of ·Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania. January 1, 1904, he formed his present partnership, as a member of the law firm of Ogden & Dom. For about one year he served as official stenographer of the Orphans court, and from May to September, 1903, was deputy register of wills of the Orphans court of Westmoreland county, but upon the death of his chief, S. C. Stevenson, he resigned to resume the practice of law. Politically he is a Republican, and has been active in promoting the interests of his party. He made his first political speech in 1892, and during the McKinley campaign was very active. In 1889 he stumped the state for his party, when Colonel Barnett was a candidate for state treasurer. He has been secretary of the Republican county committee several times. He is at present a member of the Greensburg borough council He is an exemplary member of the First Presbyterian church at Greensburg. In 1895 he joined the National Guard of Pennsylvania, being a member of Company I, Tenth Regiment, and served as company clerk until the Spanish war, when he was appointed corporal and was mustered into the service of the government at Mount Gretna and accompanied the regiment to the Philippine Islands, where he was detailed as battalion sergeant-major under Major Bierer. He also acted for a time as regimental sergeant-major for Colonel Hawkins. He was a charter member of the Order of Americus, which has been absorbed by the Grand Fraternity. He is a member of Lodge No. 511, B. P. O. E., being one of its charter members; has held various chairs and is now secretary of the order. He is also a charter member of Circle No.2, Homeless Twentysix, and Westmoreland Lodge, No. 518, F. and A. M. :Mr. Dom married, November 28, 1900, Lela M. Hudson, at Greensburg, Pennsylvania. Mrs. Dom is the daughter of William and Mary (Kepple) Hudson, whose people are farmers. She was educated in the public schools and is a graduate of Greensburg Seminary. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Dom are; Anna, born at Greensburg, Pennsylvania, November 7, 1901: Lela, born at the same place, May 3, 1903.
Source: Page(s) 92-94, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed February 2006 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project