FRANCIS M. CURTIS of New Kensington, is the son of Dr. Charles Curtis, who came from Rutland, Vermont, to Parnassus, Pennsylvania, where he practiced medicine for a few years, after which he moved to Columbus City, Iowa, and there engaged in the practice of his profession during the remainder of his life. Dr. Curtis married Martha, daughter of David McClain, one of the first publishers of the old Pittsburgh Gazette, and two children were born to them: Phoebe, and Francis M., mentioned hereafter. Dr. Curtis died about 1859.
Francis M. Curtis, son of Charles and Martha (McClain) Curtis, was born May 12, 1857 in Iowa, and was but two years old at the time of the death of his father. His mother then returned to her old home at Freeport, Pennsylvania, the boy receiving his education in the common schools of that place and of Indiana county. Afterward he attended the Elder's Ridge Academy, graduating at the end of two years. In 1877 he became clerk for the firm of Wilson & Manifold, general merchants of Parker's Landing, Pennsylvania. In 1883 he was admitted to partnership, the style of the firm becoming Manifold & Curtis, under which name the business was conducted for the next ten years. In 1893 he moved to New Kensington and there established a department store which he has successfully conducted down to the present time under the firm name of Frank Curtis & Company. Mr. Curtis was one of the pioneer merchants of New Kensington, and his business has increased until he has now the largest store of its kind in the Allegheny valley. He is a director of the Logan Trust Company, of New Kensington, and one of the trustees of the Young Men's Christian Association. He is a member and trustee of the Presbyterian church of New Kensington. Mr. Curtis married Susan, daughter of Peter King of Emlenton, Pennsylvania, and one child was born to them, who died in infancy.
Source: Page(s) 182-183, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed May 2007 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project