CHARLES F. GOLDSMITH, one of the leading druggists of Westmoreland county, was born in Mount Pleasant, March 2, 1870, a son of John and Sarah (Brehan) Goldsmith. John Goldsmith was a native of eastern Pennsylvania, and when a young man removed to Westmoreland county. He followed the occupation of a hatter, and was also engaged in the grocery business. He served as councilman of Mount Pleasant for some time and discharged the duties of that office with credit.
Charles F. Goldsmith was reared in the borough of Mount Pleasant, and received a good general education in the public schools of that place. After leaving the school-room he entered in his first regular employment in the drug store of Mr. M. S. Kuhn, remaining there for eleven years. In 1897 Mr. Goldsmith and Mr. Kuhn bought out the drug establishment of Mr. E. J. McElwee, and conducted the business under the firm name of Goldsmith & Kuhn. Previous to this Mr. Goldsmith had taken a course of instruction in the Chicago School of Pharmacy, and became a thorough master of the profession. He is also a registered pharmacist of Pennsylvania. His partnership with Mr. Kuhn existed until 1901, when Mr. Goldsmith succeeded to the ownership and management of the entire establishment, and it is now known as the Chrystal Pharmacy. The store is well stocked with a full line of drugs, medicine, etc., and he makes a specialty of filling prescriptions. The business is entirely successful and is considered one of the best drug establishments in the county. Politically Mr. Goldsmith is a strong Republican, takes a deep interest in the welfare of that organization and is an earnest party worker. He is a member of the Royal Arcanum, Independent Order Odd Fellows, and Knights of Malta. No. 350, Moss Rose Lodge, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, No. 868. He is also a member of the National Association of Retail Druggists, and the Westmoreland Druggists Association. Mr. Goldsmith erected a handsome residence on Eagle street, Mount Pleasant, where he has since resided.
Charles F. Goldsmith was united in marriage to Daisy May Lozier, daughter of Henry Lozier, of Mount Pleasant. The following named children were born to them: Daisy Marie, deceased; Eugene McKinley and Gertrude Genevieve. They are members of the Church of God and German Reformed church, respectively.
Source: Page(s) 143, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed March 2006 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project