A. H. CAVEN, M. D., engaged in the practice of medicine in Youngwood, is a grandson of Alexander and Esther (Brugh) Caven, residents of Westmoreland county, the grandfather following the occupation of farming. Their son, Eli Caven, born in Harrold, this county, was there reared and still resides upon the old homestead farm. He gives his political support to the Republican party and served for several years as justice of the peace. He is a man of large influence locally and transacts much public business, frequently serving as administrator of estates. He enjoys the unqualified trust of the general public. For fifteen years he acted as school director, and he has long been a member of the United Brethren church, in which for many years he has held office. He married Clara M. Campbell, and of their five children, four are yet living: Mary A., wife of Dr. F. G. McKlveen; William A., a practicing physician of Pittsburg, Pa.; A. H., Addison V., at home.
Dr. A. H. Caven was born at Bottsville, now Harrold, Pennsylvania, in Westmoreland county, April 23, 1877, and after attending the common schools, became a student in Ligonier, Pennsylvania Classical Institute, and later in Otterbein University, at Westerville, Ohio. In 1897 he began the study of medicine, entering the Western Pennsylvania Medical College, at Pittsburg, in which institution he was graduated in the spring of tgot. He then located in Pittsburg and for six months practiced with his brother at No. 2126 Fifth avenue. On the expiration of that period he returned to Youngwood, and in the three years here passed has built up a large and gratifying practice. He has throughout this period been surgeon of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company. He is a member of Youngwood Lodge, No. 667, I. O. O. F.. Woodland Lodge, No. 310, K. P., and Y.U. Lodge, No. 310, Grand Fraternity, also Ivy Commandery, K. of M., Greensburg. He also belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church, and is serving as secretary of its board of stewards.
Source: Page(s) 196-197, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed August 2008 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project