JAMES McFADDEN CARPENTER. The family of which James McFadden Carpenter, of Pittsburg, is a representative, was founded in this county by Heinrich Zimmerman, who came hither about 1698 from the canton of Berne, Switzerland, and settled in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania. About 1703 he brought over his family, which was a large one, including six sons, five of whom became surveyors and scriveners. He is said to have been much more progressive than his neighbors, in that he believed in educating his family in English and in making them Americans. His wishes in this respect are further indicated by the fact that he translated his name and after coming to this country was known as Henry Carpenter.
Daniel Carpenter, one of his sons, was the father of a son also named Daniel. This second Daniel was the father of John Carpenter, whose son, Jeremiah Murry Carpenter, was born on Pocketos (Puckety) creek, at a place more recently known as Hamilton's Mill. He received a common school education and in early life was a teacher. Later he became a farmer and also practiced the profession of a surveyor and scrivener. He held the office of justice of the peace, served in the militia, and in politics was a Democrat. In religious belief he was a Presbyterian and served as ruling ,elder in the Laird (Old Plum Creek) Church. His wife was Eleanor, daughter of James and Margaret (Stewart) McFadden, and a native of Middletown, Washington county. Pennsylvania. To them were born six -children: Mary Elizabeth, married James McJunkin; John, married Isabella Herron; James McFadden, Jeremiah Murry, deceased; Samuel Lease, at present judge of the district circuit, Denver, Colorado: who married Grace Boyd: and Bertha Eleanor, intermarried with William M. McCracken.
James McFadden, the third child, was born January 30, 1850. at Murrysville. Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania. The family removed to Plum township, Allegheny county, in 1852,. where he received his primary education in the common schools, from which he passed to the academy at Murrysville known as Laird Institute. While studying for his profession he engaged in farming, teaching and surveying, and in October, 1874, became a member of the Pittsburg bar, since which time he has been in active practice. His professional experience has lain especially along the lines of min-in, and oil interests, and he is known as a concise and forcible speaker. In early life lie was a Democrat, but has always been independent of merely party considerations. Since tSg6 lie has been somewhat active in politics. was one of the organizers of the "Gold Democracy" and was a member of the convention that nominated Palmer and Buckner. For himself lie has never sought election to any office. He is one of the trustees of Western Theological Seminar-, and a member of the Union Club of Pittsburg. Since 1881 lie has been ruling- elder in the Park Avenue Presbyterian Church of Pittsburg, during all of which time lie has served as clerk of session. Mr. Carpenter married, June 21, 1876, Marc H., daughter of John L. L. and Rebekah H. Knox. of Allegheny, and their children were: Alice Lazear, Rebekah Knox, who died in her sixth year; Bertha Eleanor and James McFadden. Mrs. Carpenter died July 2, 1899.
Source: Page(s) 217-218, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed August 2008 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project