SMITH BUTTERMORE. son of P. M. and Eliza J. (Thorndell) Buttermore, was born February 7, 1880, at New Haven, Fayette county, Pennsylvania. On the paternal side the family is of German and Scotch descent, and on the maternal side of English descent. The parents of Smith are both living, the father being a blacksmith of New Haven. The grandfather, George Buttermore, was a farmer but gave most of his attention to teaming on it route between Baltimore, Connellsville and Pittsburg.
Smith Buttermore was reared in his native town and educated in the public schools. In 1900 he went into business at Dawson, Fayette county, Pennsylvania. He established the first bakery in that place, and remained in business there until June, 1904. He sold out and located at Scottdale, where he succeeded to the bakery business of W. H. Ellis, September, 1904, the oldest establishment of its kind in Scottdale, it having been established by J. C. Anawalt in 1882. At the death of Mr. Anawalt his son conducted the business until Mr. Ellis took charge of it in 19o2. He in turn sold it to Mr. Buttermore, who has continued there since. In addition to a large bakery business lie has an ice cream manufactory, and in both branches of his trade has been very successful. His establishment is one of the leading concerns of this part of the county, the business covering a radius of some six miles about Scottdale. He is one of the most prominent men of the borough and is active in politics, his sympathies being Democratic. While at Dawson he was a member of the central committee. Mr. Buttermore married, April 25, 1900, Cora Edwards, daughter of Roland and Margaret Edwards, of Councilsville. Mr. Edwards established the first bakery at that place. They have one child, Mildred Butter-more. They are members of the Presbyterian Church at Scottdale. Mr. Buttermore is a member of Royal Arcanum. A. I. O. K. M., Omar Commandery, No. 330, of Dawson, of the Eagles and of the Modern Woodmen of America.
Source: Page(s) 214-215, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed August 2008 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project