W. H. BROWN, M. D., engaged in the practice of medicine in Youngwood, was born in L:niontown, Maryland, June 21, 1868, a son of John A. and Mary E. (Engler) Drown, while his paternal grandparents were Moses and Susan (Harbaugh) Brown. The grandfather, who was of Swiss descent, was a railroad contractor and lived and died in Ellicott City, Maryland. John A. Brown was born and reared in Ellicott City and when a young man went to Uniontown, where he learned the trades of painting and paper-hanging, becoming a contractor in those departments of business activity. In 1884 he removed to Washington, D. C.. where he was employed in the treasury department of the government service. He died in 1893, at the age of sixty-three years. In politics he was a Democrat, and was a man of influence in the councils of the party in -Maryland, and while there he held a clerkship in the state legislature of Maryland for several years. He held membership in the Methodist Protestant church. His widow is still living and resides with her daughter at Armbrust, Pennsylvania. They were the parents of four children, of whom three are living: Susie C., wife of G. C. Mawkberz, of Waynesboro, Pa.; Nellie G., wife of T. F. Armbrust, living in the borough of Armbrust; and W. H.
Reared in his parent's home, Dr. Brown supplemented his early educational privileges by study in the Western Maryland College, at Westminster, Maryland, and when eighteen years of age he began reading medicine under Dr. T. J. Shreeve, of Uniontown, Maryland, with whom he remained for a year, and in the fall of 1886 he matriculated in the University of Maryland, being graduated from the medical department in the spring of 1889. He located for practice in New Stanton, Pennsylvania, where he remained for three and a half years, and then removed to Lancaster county, Pennsylvania. but after a brief time he went to Washington. D. C., where lie was located for two years. In the winter of 1895 he came to Youngwood, where he has built up a large and lucrative practice, having the confidence of his professional brethren and of the general public as well.
Dr. Brown was married in 1902, to Irene M. Gibbons, a daughter of Joseph and -Mary- (Scott) Gibbons, of Washington, D. C. Dr. Brown belongs. to Woodland Lodge, No. 210, K. P., of Youngwood; Painterville Lodge,J.O.U.A.M., of New Stanton; and the Youngwood Lodge of the Grand Fraternity. In the line of his profession he is Connected with the Westmoreland County Medical Society, the Pennsylvania State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal. church and is one of its trustees. When the borough of Youngwood was organized lie was elected a member of the town council, which position he now holds, and be is a man of sterling character and much esteemed, both professionally and socially.
Source: Page(s) 197-198, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed August 2008 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project