JAMES KELLY BOYD. Although a resident of Westmoreland county James Kelly Boyd, of Monessen. belongs by birth and descent to Allegheny county. He is a son of J. K. and Margaret (Wyland) Boyd. and was born December 13, 1871. in Allegheny City, where he was reared and educated. His father died in 1879, aged forty-two, and his mother survives.
Mr. Boyd's first employment was in the capacity of office boy for James W. Drape, of Pittsburg, and his next was with the U. P. Railroad, whence he passed to the service of the C. A. Railroad, where he remained several years in the capacity of clerk. He then associated himself with the WI. Dewees Wood Company, of McKeesport, with whom he remained eight years. At the end of that time he entered the service of the United States Steel Company, retiring some years after as head bookkeeper. He then turned his attention to the clothing business, formed a partnership with William Frantz, and in 1903 they established their present business in Monessen. Mr. Boyd is a member of Monessen Lodge, No. 638, Free and Accepted Masons, the Fraternal Order of Eagles, No. 492, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. No. 773, the Versailles Council, No. 238, Royal Arcanum, of -McKeesport, and the Improved Order of Heptasophs, No. 81, also of McKeesport. He likewise belongs to the Knights of Pythias, Monessen, No. 168. He is a member of the United Presbyterian church, of Monessen. Mr. Boyd married, February 22, 1893, Susan, daughter of John and -Mary Toy, of Pittsburg.
Source: Page(s) 236-237, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed August 2008 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project