CHARLES H. BOLTON, postmaster of Herminie, was born March 3, 1867, at Irwin, Westmoreland county, one of nine children of William and Catherine (Luffler) Bolton, eight of whom are living: Cora B., wife of C. A. Thompson, of Irwin, Pennsylvania; Ida, wife of John Soles, McKeesport. Pennsylvania; Emma B., wife of John T. Small, of East McKeesport; Frank L., also of East McKeesport; Howard E., who works for Charles H.; Nellie living at home; Gertrude, wife of Frank Gregg, of Irvona, Pennsylvania; and Charles H.
The family is of English descent, the grandfather of Charles H., Jonathan Bolton, coming from England in 1841 and locating at Pittsburg, Pennsylvania where he was engaged in the butcher business. He died in his sixty-fourth year from an injury received in an accident. His son, William, the father of Charles H., was born at Pittsburg, Allegheny county, in 1842, and was reared at home, acquiring his education in the common schools. At the age of fifteen he left home and went to Irwin, where he found employment in the coal mines and continued for fifteen years. He then engaged in the butcher business at Circleville, where he still resides and transacts business. He is very active in church work and belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church. In politics he is a Republican, and has served as member of the school board for many years and also as township auditor. The wife of William Bolton, Catherine Luffler Bolton, was born in 1844, on Squirrel Hill, Allegheny county, a daughter of George Luffler. He was a native of Germany, but came to this country in 1838 and located in Allegheny county, where he followed his trade: a carpenter and builder.
Charles H. Bolton was educated in the common schools of his birthplace; at the age of fourteen he took charge of his father's books and became his assistant in the butcher business, and at twenty-one years his father took him into partnership. In 1895 he severed his business relation with his father as a partner, but was employed by him for two more years, during which time he was engaged in building houses at Herminie. In 1897 he went into the butcher business at Herminie, in company with A. H. Plough, under the firm title of Bolton and Plough. Two years later Mr. Plough's interest was purchased by Frank Bolton, and the firm for two years did business under the title of C. H. Bolton and Bro. In 1901 Charles H. bought his brother's interest and has since conducted the business alone. In addition to this he is connected with C. A. Thompson in the real estate business, at Irwin; owns a three-fourth interest in nine residence properties and forty building lots in Herminie; has a one-half interest in the Scott farm in Washington county, Pennsylvania; one-third interest in an oil farm in Washington county, on which there are six producing wells; is the president and organizer of the C. H. Bolton Sand Company of Irwin and McKeesport. He received his appointment as postmaster in 1902, during the administration of President McKinley. He is one of the leading business men and financiers of that section of the county. He is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, and of Westmoreland Lodge, No. 518, Free and Accepted Masons of Greensburg. Mr. Bolton married June 20, 1894, Margaret White, daughter of James White, of Jacksonville, Westmoreland county, by whom he has four children, three of whom survive: Helen, Fred and Margaret Bolton.
Source: History of Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, Volume II, by John N. Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906, Page 273-4.
Transcribed by Carol C. Eddleman for the Westmoreland County History Project.
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project