HARRY J. BEARER, a resident of R4onessen. Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, and member of the firm of H. J. Bearer & Company, at 449-451 Danver avenue, was born in Carrollstown, Cambria county, Pennsylvania, June 6, 1895, a son of John G. C. and Magdalena (Hopple) Bearer, and grandson of Francis Bearer, a native of Germany, who emigrated to this country, and resided in Berks county for a few years, later locating permanently in Cambria county, where he followed the occupation of a farmer, and subsequently became the owner of considerable property.
John G. C. Bearer (father) is a resident and retired farmer of Spangler. Cambria county, where he was born and reared. He is an active Democrat, and a devout member of the Roman Catholic church. He married Magdalena Hopple. and of their children the following named are those now living: Frank. a farmer of Carrollstown : Elmira, wife of E. M. Binder, of Barnesboro : Etta. a nun of the Benedictine order, located at Carrollstown ; Harry. mentioned hereafter: Fannie. wife of J. J. McCormick, of Spangler: Augusta, wife of William M. Gordon, of Barnesboro; Adda and Edith, reside at home; and Ralph, employed by his brother Harry J. as clerk. Mrs. Bearer, the mother of these children, died December 31, 1888.
Harry J. Bearer; obtained his educational training in the public schools and convent at Carrollstown, and at the age of fifteen years went to Charleroi, where he learned the trade of tinner and roofer. After one year's residence in the latter place he removed to Altoona, Pennsylvania, and there completed his trade, and remained for four years. His next removal was to Barnesboro, where he engaged in the conduct of a hardware store for E. M. Binder, continuing until August, 1900, when he went to Monessen. Upon his arrival in Monessen he formed a partnership with Mr. E. M. Binder, and they entered into the tinning and roofing business, being the successors of George Dinkle. The business was continued in this way until the spring of 1905, when they added a full line of shelf and heavy hardware: paints, oils, house furnishings, etc. They also have a large trade in ceilings and cornices. This is one of the largest and most successful stores of its kind in this part of the country. He is one of the active and prominent Republicans of Monessen. and is interested in all community affairs. He has served as member of the Republican county committee, member of the school board of Monessen, and was for three years chief of the Monessen fire department. Fraternally he holds membership in the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, No. 773, and is a charter member of same; Knights of Columbus, No. 604, Beaver Valley Council. December 28, 1904, Mr. Bearer married Theresa Lynch, daughter of John Lynch, of Cleveland, Ohio. They are members of the Roman Catholic church, and their residence is at 124 McKee avenue, Monessen.
Source: Page(s) 242-243, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed August 2008 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project