EDWARD BARNES, M. D. The ancestors of Dr. Edward Barnes, of Monessen, were Scotch-Irish. His parents were James and Eliza (Patterson) Barnes, the former a farmer of Mercer county. Both are now deceased.
Dr. Barnes was born November 30, 1849, in Mercer county, where he was reared on a farm and received his primary education in the public schools, later attending the Edinboro State Normal school. He began the study of medicine with Dr. Boyd, also enjoying the instructions of Drs. Gibson and Borlin. He entered the Eclectic Medical College, Indianapolis, Indiana, graduating in 1882 with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. The greater part of Dr. Barnes' professional life has been passed in Mercer county with some periods in Venango and Lawrence counties. Since April 1, 1903, he has been engaged in active practice in Monessen. While in New Castle, where he spent some time, his specialty was gynecology, but he now makes a specialty of chronic diseases. In 1904 he was a delegate to the National Eclectic Medical convention held in St. Louis. He is a member of the National and State Eclectic Medical Societies, a director of the State Eclectic Medical Association, and belongs to the order of Ben Hur. Dr. Barnes married, in 1813, Laura Anson, and they were the parents of four sons: John G., Mant McGovern, an engineer on the Pennsylvania Railroad; James N., a moulder; and Byron Brun, a student. Mrs. Barnes died in 1882, and Dr. Barnes married, in 1901, Nettie Dean. Dr. and Mrs. Barnes are members of the Presbyterian church.
Source: Page(s) 256, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed August 2008 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project