DANIEL A. ARTER, one of the leading physicians of Greensburg, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, was born in Salem township, Columbiana county, Ohio, October 26, 1828, the son of Colonel Simon and Elizabeth (Burger) Arter. He is of English descent. His grandfather, Abraham Arter, was born in Maryland. He led a quiet, exemplary life, and was a consistent church member. He removed in 1802, to Columbiana county, Ohio. The wife of Abraham Arter was Magdalena Hahn, and among their children was a son, Simon Arter.
Simon Arter, the father of Daniel a. Arter, was born near Strasburg, Maryland, where he was reared an trained to the life of a farmer. In political belief he was a Whig, and afterwards a Republican, and was noted for being upright and liberal in his dealings. He was an active member of the evangelical Lutheran church, and was elected colonel in a militia organization. He married, in 1824, Elizabeth Burger, daughter of Daniel Burger, of Bedford county, Pennsylvania. Mrs. Arter was born in 1806. Her grandfather, Nicholas Burger, emigrated to this country from Switzerland, settling in Bedford county, and in 1806 removed to the section that is now Columbiana county, Ohio. Seven sons and four daughters were born to Colonel and Mrs. Arter, among them Dr. Daniel Arter. The death of Colonel Arter occurred February 27, 1883, after a useful an well spent life.
Daniel A. Arter attended the public schools of his native place, and later the New Lisbon Academy from which he was graduated in 1847. Having determined to become a medical practitioner, he entered into the study of medicine under the preceptorship of Dr. Springer, of New Lisbon, Ohio. He continued the study of his chosen profession in the Cincinnati Eclectic Medical College, where his industry and earnestness soon won for him an honorable place in his class. He entered into practice in Blairsville, Indiana county, Pennsylvania, and after a five months residence in that place he removed to Lockport. Dr. Arter removed, August 2, 1851, to Greensburg, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, where he was recognized as one of the leading physicians of the town, conducting an active and prosperous practice. There has probably been no other physician in this part of the state that had a larger clientele, his operations extending throughout Westmoreland and into the counties of Indiana, Armstrong, Cambria, Fayette, and Allegheny, and which is an evidence of his widespread popularity and thoroughness as a physician. He has been a hard and incessent worker, but with all this he is well preserved, hale and hearty---looking many years younger than he is. He was one of the organizers of the Westmoreland National Bank, and stockholder in same ; also serves as director of the Greensburg Building and Loan Association from December 3, 1877, to December 4, 1882 ; as president from December 4, 1882, to October 5, 1885. He resigned the presidency, was re-elected director December 5, 1886, and has been a director ever since. Dr. Arter is pre-eminently a self-made man. Beginning with no capital but ambition and a determination to win, he soon acquired a lucrative practice and an honorable place in the world of his profession, and is the owner of considerable valuable real estate, having handled considerable property. His political affiliations are with the Republican party, and he takes a deep an lasting interest in the welfare of that organization. He is a member of the Jr. O. U. A. M., R. A., A. O. U. W., and Philanthropy Lodge, No. 225, R. and A. M., and trustee of Masonic Fund of Greensburg, Pennsylvania. He is a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and has constantly held the office of trustee since 1865 except about fourteen months.
Dr. Arter married (first) in 1851, Mary Jane McCune, daughter of Samuel McCune, of Blairsville, Pennsylvania. Their children were : Charlotte B., born March 3, 1852, wife of Charles R. Miller, of Greensburg ; Mary E., born October 15, 1854, married W. B. Stanley, a mechanic, of Salem, Ohio ; S. Marcus, born November 17, 1856, married Sarah e. Loughrey, and is clerk in the county register's office. Mrs. Arter died in 1856, and Dr. Arter married (second) October 15, 1857, Caroline A. Miller, daughter of Jacob M. Miller. Their children were : Elsie B., born October 22, 1858, and Anna S., born July 11, 1863, married H. S. Sembower, of Uniontown, Pa., and died June 18, 1888. Mrs. Caroline A. Arter died April 24, 1894.
Source Pages 30 & 31 History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N. Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906
Transcribed June 4, 1999 by Marilynn Wienke for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project