JOHN LUTHER WEAVER
As remembered by granddaughters
Carol Mae Weaver-Young and Suzanne Weaver
John attended the country school through the 8th grade. He then attended Elderton Academy at Elderton, PA from which he graduated in 1904. Securing a county teacher's certificate, he began his teaching career teaching county school in Armstrong Co., PA for 3 years. He then entered Ohio Northern University at Ada, OH, graduating in 1908 from the College of Music with a BA degree. He studied voice, harmony, theory, counterpoint and history of music. He then taught at Elderton Academy from 1908 to 1910 organizing a music department, training a chorus of 100 voices and conducting music classes at other nearby points, including Whitesburg and Shelocta, PA.
In 1910 they went to Portsmouth, Scioto Co., OH. Grandpa was minister of music of the Bigelow Methodist Church for 2 years. On January 1, 1912 he became a solicitor for the Equitable Life Insurance Company in Portsmouth, OH. In 1920 he became a general agent and decided to move to Canton, Stark Co., OH.
He was a member of the Equitable Top Production Club for more than 20 years, Lions Club, Chamber of Commerce and was a charter member of the Y.M.C.A.'s Men's Club in 1920 and Shady Hollow Country Club when it was formed in 1926. He also served as a trustee and chairman of the music committee for 20 years at the First Methodist Church.
Grandpa enjoyed playing golf, hunting and fishing. He played volleyball at the Y.M.C.A. until he injured his knee.
John Luther Weaver died August 26, 1962 in Canton, OH and is buried in the family plot at North Lawn Cemetery, Canton, Stark Co., OH.