(Published in 1884 by Robert Walker Smith, Historian of Armstrong Co.)
The only post office between Kittanning and Indiana one hundred years ago was that kept by Absalom Woodward at the point now called Idaho. The office was discontinued when that at Elderton was opened. The Frantz' Mills post office was established in 1843, with James Mitchell as the official in charge. This latter office was at the point on the creek now known as South Bend. James Johnson, Jr., was postmaster there in 1848. Harry H. Hanna is the present one. The Olivet postoffice was established in 1850, with John McGeary in charge. The postmaster there now is Torrence Bair, also storekeeper. The postmaster at Girty is J. A. Coulter.
(Written by Ruth Silvis in 1979)
Around 1920, a post office was established by Fergus Moorehead at the site of the present South Bend Store. His daughter, Mrs. Harvey Hanna was the post mistress. When Townsend’s Store went out of business, she sold some candy at the post office. Nevin Smith would bring the mail to South Bend by horse and buggy from Apollo. Later Harvey Hanna, Mrs. Hanna’s husband, took over the post office and bought the general business.
In 1942, William and Nellie Wissinger bought the South Bend Store from Mr. Hanna. He also took over the post office. About 1958, the post office was moved from Wissinger’s General Store to a small builing across Route 156. Here Jack Rearick served as postmaster for a short time. The mail system for South Bend residents was then converted to general deliveries, being Star Route, Spring Church, PA and R.D. #3, Shelocta, PA.
All the original business establishments have been torn down except the store. It has changed proprietorship several times. Harvey Hanna sold it to William Wissinger in 1942. He operated the store and filling station, selling tires, automotive parts and Esso gasoline. In 1959 Harold and Ada Uptegraph took over the business from Mr. Wissinger and continued the same retail operations. Debbie (Mr. Wissinger’s granddaughter) and Alan Blystone bought Uptegraph’s market in 1978. Jack and Kathy Rearick took over the operation of the business in 1980.