South Bend Township
1773 ~ 1969
Under the entire southern portion of the township is a huge gas storage field first started in 1951 by the New York State Gas Company and operated by a twelve thousand horsepower station near South Bend.
Two huge pipelines lead in and out of the field and these are patrolled by helicopters. Another station belonging to the Peoples Natural Gas Company is located near Girty.
Most of the coal miners disappeared as did the dairy farms when rigid inspections of stream pollution were enforced. At present, there are two stores and several roadside stands which operate in the summer selling fresh produce.
The geological features of this township are similar to those presented by a sketch of Plum Creek Township. A sharp break in the Roaring Run anticline in the northeastern portion of the township is located near Girty.
Close to the western line between this and Kiskiminitas Township is the highest elevation, 1,443 feet above sea level.