"For a while after the first settlement of this region, pay or subscription schools were taught in private houses in different parts of the then settled part of the townsip, which was chiefly along and in the vicinity of Crooked Creek."
"The first school house, a primitive log one, was erected probably about 1803, near the present site of St. Jacob's Lutheran and Reformed Church edifice, in which the first teacher, or at least one of the earliest was James Allison."
"The first school house at Olivet was built in or about 1820, on the site of G. W. Steer's old blacksmith shop, and was known as 'Big Run Schoolhouse,' which continued to be used until 1834 -35."
The first school year in which this was a distinct school district was 1868. Its first annual report was for 1869, when the number of schools was 6; average number of months taught was 4; 4 male teachers; 2 female teachers; average salary of male teachers per month was $38.25; average salary of female teachers per month was $35.00; male scholars, 288, female scholars, 244, and the average number attending school was 433."
"The cost of teaching each student per month was 64 cents; the amount levied for school purposes was $902.84; minimum occupation, 211, total amount levied was $1, 113.84; recieved from collectors, unseated land, etc., $1200.44; cost of instruction was $892; fuel and contingencies was $152.72; repairing schoolhouses, etc. was $55.66 and the balance on hand was $100.66."
"The number of schools in 1913 was 8; average months taught was 7; 3 male teachers, 5 female teachers; average salaries, male $46.16; female $45.00; male scholars, 64; female scholars, 85; average attendance, 142; cost per month, $3.12, tax levied, $1,648.75; received from State, $1,307.81; other sources, $2,376.03; value of schoolhouses, $8,000; teachers wages, $2, 477.50; fuel, fees, etc. $845.34."
These schools have all been closed as South Bend Township helped form the Elderton Joint School in 1947 and in 1966 became a part of the present Armstrong School District.