"The assessment list of the year 1805 showed one weaver - Peter Rupert; one blacksmith - Joseph Thorn; and one stonemason - Bernard Davers. "
In 1876, there were five stores in the fourteenth class and one in the thirteenth class. There were 27 laborers, 7 blacksmiths, 4 shoemakers, 2 carpenters, 2 millers, 2 wagonmakers, 1 preacher, 1 book agent, 1 clerk, 1 cooper, 1 apprentice, and 25 single men, , and it was leap year!"
In 1913, the merchants were T.C. Bair at Olivet, D.B & L.A. Townsend at South Bend, Fred W. Meyers at Idaho, and U.S. George at Girty.
Early physicians were Dr. John A. Lowreyat South Bend, Dr. J. T. Shutt at Girty and Dr. C.M. Ewing at Olivet.
"For many years after the settlement of this region, the only church edifice was the log one built in 1818 by Absolom Woodward and generously donated to the public at large. In this and in private houses and barns, itinerant missionaries conducted services for many years."
In 1840, the Associate Reform Church was organized and in 1842 erected a building at Olivet. The name was later changed to the United Presbyterian which two church bodies united. Since then, the congregation merged with another congregation and the original building was abandoned.
"The second structure used by the congregation was erected in 1842 and served the parishioners for 38 years. It was replaced in 1881 by the present edifice which cost $2,365. Later the Reformed congregation built a church in South Bend, and the old community building was sold at auction."
Some of the early ministers were Reverends G.A. Reichert, William Weinel, John H. Bernheim, Jacob Zimmerman, David McKee, Jacob H. Wright, J.W. Hutchison, Thomas J. Frederick, C.M. Wachter, J.A. Flickinger, Jacob M. Hankey, C.L. Wisswaesser, C.F. Miller and A.S. Lenhart.
At present, there are three churches in the township: the St. Jacob's Evangelical Luthern, the St. Jacob's Reform Church, and the Methodist.