Date of formation: 1867 Origin of Name: Sharp Southward Bend of Crooked Creek Township’s Territory: Formerly parts of Kiskiminetis and Plum Creek Area: About 22.5 square miles or 14,400 acres Population of South Bend Township Date Population Date Population 1850 1266 1910 798 1860 1571 1920 805 1870 1633 1930 854 1880 1151 1940 804 1890 1116 1950 939 1900 875 1960 916 (Population at 1990 Census: 1304)Quotations and Other Information (Sources Unknown) “Along that portion of Crooked Creek in the southwestern part of this township, near the Indiana County line, some of the earliest settlements made by whites in this county were made. There were thirty-five original tracts in this township, the warrants for them being dated as early as 1773.”
“On the tract originally owned by John L. Howell in 1776, on Crooked Creek, near the present town of South Bend, Charles Campbell, in 1805, erected a grist and saw mill, it being many years the only mill for settlers from miles around in Armstrong and Indiana Counties. It was called Frantz’s Mill, from Jacob Frantz who owned it in 1813. It was later operated by W. E. Fryor.”
“Absalom Woodward was assessed with a grist mill and saw mill in 1811, which he built on the south side of Plumcreek, nears its junction with Crooked Creek. Reuben Allshouse, who owned the mills in 1876, called the settlement around them “Idaho,” from the fact of his having made a fortune in that western state. This settlement is still called by the same name.”
Idaho is located almost directly across Crooked Creek from the Keystone Generating Station. Two miles southwest, at a place now called South Bend, was the store of Hugh Brown in 1805.
Edited and notes by Maury Tosi, 2000