Margaret Catherine Smith Genealogy
MICHAEL SMITH - B. 1750 - Rhine Province, Prussia (now North Germany)
Died in 1839 - Buried in South Bend Cemetery, Armstrong Co.
1st Spouse: Magdalena Schaffer (B. 1753). May have died in Germany
2nd Spouse: Sarah Weigel - B. 1753, Northampton Co. PA
Died 1845 - Buried in South Bend Cemetery, Armstrong Co.
1. Anna Maria Rosina - B. 1773 - D. 1864JOHN HENRY SMITH
May have being daughter of Michael & 1st spouse, Magdalena Schaffer
2. MIchael J. Smith, Jr. - B. 2/2/1779 Northampton Co. -D. 4/12/1835 - Married Elizabeth Schittler
3. Jacob Smith - B. 1/22/1781, Westmoreland Co. - D. 6/12/1835 - Married Barbara Mary Ludwig
4. Sarah Smith - B. 5/8/1784 - D. 5/8/1784 - D. 6/3/1872 - Married John Phillip Neligh
5. Elizabeth Smith - B. 10/19/11785 - Armstrong Co. - Maried George Rupert
6. John Smith - B. 3/25/1787 - Married Catherine
7. Susanna Smith - B. 3/12/1789, Westmoreland Co - D. 3/27/1878 - Married Philluip Smith 8. George Smith - B. 5/16/1792
9. John Henry Smith - B. 5/16/1794 - D. 4/1871 - Married Anna Maria Schall
10. Magdalene Smith - B. 5/8/1795
John Henry Smith was born Feb. 4, 1790 or 1794 in South Bend Township, the son of Michael Smith and Sarah Weigel. He married Anna Maria Schall, the daughter of Ludwig Schall and Elizabeth George. He died April 24, 1877 and is buried in the South Bend Cemetery.
1. Catherine Smith - B. 1818 in Burrell Twp - Married to Samuel France.GEORGE SMITH
2. John Smith - B. 2/23/1820 in Burrel Twp - D. 1902- D. 1902 - Married Elizabeth George
3. George Smith - B. 4/22/1821 in Burrell Twp - Married Sarah King - D. 5/6/1870
4. Isaac Smith - B. 7/6/1822 in Burrell Twp - D. 9/14/1913 - Married Susanna George -
5. Frederick Smith - B. 6/20/1825 in Burrell Twp - D. 4/25/1905 - Married Sussana Allhouse
6. Susanna Smith - B. 10/11/1826 in Burrell Twp - Married Simon Heilman
7. Anthony Smith - B. 2/11/1829 in Burrell Twp
8. Phillip Smith - B. 3/8/1832 in Burrell Twp
10. Sarah Smith - B. 11/1824 in Burrell Twp - D. 9/20/1911
George Smith was born April 22, 1821 and died May 6, 1870 in South Bend Township. He was the son of John Henry Smith and Anna Maria Schall. He married Sarah King, the daughter of Thomas King and Catherine Fisher, and she was born 1821 and died in 1899.
1. Diana Smith - B. 1846 in South Bend Township - D. 1/14/1933 - Married Jacob BeighleyEMANUEL T. SMITH - B. 1849 - D. 1916 - Buried in South Bend Cemetery
2. Emanuel T. Smith - B. 1849 in South Bend Twp - D. 7/31/1916 - Married Margaret Jane Heasley
3. Maria Smith - B. 1850 in South Bend Twp - D. 5/1935 - Never married
4. Lorina Smith - B. 1855 in South Bend Twp - D. 26/1935 - Married Samuel Heasley
5.Sarah Jane Smith - B. 1855 in South Bend Twp - D. 8/8/1948 - Never married
6. Catherine Smith - B. 1860 in South Bend Twp - D. 6/6/1931 - Married William Crum
The Smith family were among the first members of the St. Jacob's Reformed Church, South Bend. Their names are listed in one of the oldest church records in 1857. Emanuel T. Smith was on the Building Committee for the the construction of the present-day church. Other committee members were W.J. Silvis and Jacob Shoup.
Spouse: Married Mary Jane Heasley on 12/25/1873 - Daughter of Joseph Heasley and Catherine Smeltzer
Mary Jane B. 12/28/1851 - D. 8/13/1938 - Buried in South Bend Cemetery
Children: 3 sons & 3 daughters
1. Harry Burdette Smith of West Lebanon, PA - B. 9/24/1874, South Bend Twp - D. 10/24/1953 - Married Ella Eunice Armstrong
2. Joseph Ambrose Smith of Home, PA - B. 1/7/1876, South Bend Twp - D. 6/9/1921 - Married Ella Harbison
3. James Elder Smith of Leechburg, PA - B. 11/24/1877, South Bend Twp - D. 1/12/1959 - Married Sarah Blanche Harman
4. Cora Edith Smith of Leechburg, PA - B. B. 10/31/1879, South Bend Twp - D. 12/3/1965 - Married William T. Anderson
5. Della Catherine Smith - B. 11/25/1881 , South Bend Twp - D. 9/7/1959 - Married Donald F. Jones
JAMES ELDER SMITH of South Bend
Sp; Sarah Blanche Harmon
1. Margaret Catherine Smith
2. J. Merle Smith
MARGARET CATHERINE SMITH
Margaret Catherine Smith was born 1906 in Leechburg, PA. D. 1994 at Indiana Hospital and buried in Elders Ridge Cemetery. Sp: Ezra Dunmire - B. 1901 at Nowrytown, PA - D. 12/28/1980 - Indiana Hospital and buried at Elders Ridge Cemetery. Three Children:
1. Margare Helen Dunmire
2. James William Dunmire
3. David Edward Dunmire
MARGARET HELEN DUMMIRE - B. 1929, South Bend Twp.
Sp: Glenn Raymond Shrecongost - B. 1924 - South Bend Twp - D. 1981 - Elderton, PA - Buried in South Bend Cemetery
1. Kathleen Schrecongost - B. 1953
Shawna Leight - B. 1972 - Married Daniel McCutcheon2. Glenda Schrecongost - B. 1956
Married David Allen Cook - July, 1990
Theresa Elizabeth Cook - Born 19913. Jennifer Ellen Schrecongost - B. 1960
Married Kipp Welteroth 1982 - Divorced 2003
1. Trista Lynn - B. 19854.Richard Schrecongost - B. 1967
2. Shane Ryan - B. 1994
Emmanuel Smith - Father of Jame E. Smith
One of the very good citizens of South Bend, Mr. Emanuel Smith, a very prosperous farmer, aged 67 years, died of heart trouble at his home on Monday, July 30, 1916. His farm of 200 acres join that of D.C. and L.A. Townsend on the northeast.
He was a life-long member of the Reformed Church at South Bend, and was a ruling elder for a number of years. For 32 years, he was a school director in the township.
He is survived by his wife, three sons; Amboy of Home, James of Leechburg, and Harry at West Lebanon; also three daughters: Mrs. W. T. Anderson of Leechbureg, Mrs. Donald Jones of South Bend, and Della at home. He is also survived by five sisters and six grandchildren.
Funeral services were held in th Reformed church on Wednesday at 10 o'clock, conducted by the pastor, and interment was in the South Bend Cemetery.
JAMES ELDER SMITH, 81, of South Bend, died at the Indiana Hospital Monday, January 13, at 8:20 p.m. He was born in South Bend Township, November 24, 1877, a son of Emmanuel and Margaret Jane Heasley Smith.
His wife, Sarah Blanche Harmon Smith, died in 1957. The couple celebrated their golden wedding anniversary on April 12, 1955
Mr. Smith was a member of the Evangelical and Reformed church of South Bend, served on the church council for many years, and taught a school class in the church for a number of years. He was also a member of the Girty Grange. He lived in Leechburg from 1903 until 1922 and had been a farmer since that time.
Survivors include one daughter, Mrs. Ezra (Margaret) Dunmire, South Bend; one son, J. Merle Smith; six grandchildren and four great-grandchildren; three sisters, Mrs. Cora Anderson, South Bend, Mrs. Della Colmery, South Bend and Mrs. Mary Jones, RD 1, Apollo.
Friends were received at the family residence until 10:30 a.m. Thursday, and at the Evangelical and Reformed church from 1:00 p.m. until the time of the service. Burial was in the South Bend Cemetery.
MRS. SARAH BLANCE HARMON SMITH, 76, passed away march 29, 1957 at her home in South Bend.
Born January 2, 1881 in Plum Creek Township, Armstrong County, a daughter of Joseph and Margaret (Calhoun) Harmon, Mrs. Smith was a member of the Evangelical and Reformed church at South Bend and of the Girty Grange. She and Mr. Smith celebrated the 50th anniversary April 12, 1955.
Surviving are: Her husband, James E. Smith, a daughter, Mrs. Margaret Dunmire, and a son, J. Merle Smith, all of South Bend; six grandchildren, three great-grandchildren; and two sisters, Mrs. Annie Aikins and Mrs. Vernie Mosbaugher, both of Avonmore RD 1.
Friends will be received at her late home until 11 a.m. Monday, and at the Evangelical Church, South Bend, from 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. Monday, the hour of the service. The Rev. Jacob Painter, her pastor, will officiate. Interment will be in The South Bend Cemetery.