About the year 1840, the Reformed people, together with the Lutherans, erected a plain frame building, the material being taken from the woods near by. It was weather-boarded and painted white, and for many years went by the name of the "White Church," probably because it was the first painted building in that section. The inside was sealed, lined, and the floors laid with boards as they came from the saw mill, no stain or paint being used inside except for the pulpit.
In 1872 the Lutheran congregation having completed a new church across the road moved out, but the Reformed continued to worship in the dingy building until 1891. Prior to this the Reformed had made several unsuccessful attempts to build a new church.
The main difficulty being the location of the proposed new building. In the early spring of 1890, a lot was purchased in the little village of South Bend, about 3/4 of a mile distant. The parcel of land was purchased from Henry and Rebecca Townsend for $200.00. The cornerstone was laid for the new building in May of the same year, and dedicatory services held in September, 1891.
The present edifice is probably the finest country church in the county. It is of modern design with all modern appliances. The building lies in the form of a cross, having besides the auditorium, a lecture room and vestibule. It contains large triple gothic windows filled with fine rolled cathedral glass of beautiful design.
The inside presents a beautiful and attractive appearance. The building was erected at moderate cost under the direct supervision of the present pastor and stands as a monument to his zeal, good judgment and aesthetic taste.
The cost of the building was $3,200. Rev. Gumbert and Mr. Franklin Laughlin designed the church building and ceiling, and Mr. Laughlin was in charge of building it. The present Communion table (altar), lectern and baptismal stand were made by Mr. Daniel King.
The membership of this congregation has at no time exceeded 150 members, numbering at present about 100 communicant members, with a Sunday School of over 100.
(Following from St. Jacob church records)
In the early 1930s, when Rev. Sarkis Papajin was pastor, the basement was dug out for the furnace and fellowship rooms. When Rev. Jacob F. Painter was the minister, the present windows were put into the church. In the winter of 1964 and spring of 1965, the new addition to house the inside rest rooms was finished, the rest rooms installed, and the church was painted inside and outside. In 1969, a new piano was purchased, and a new Conn Organ was bought in 1972.
In 1967, the congregation applied for and received its charter to join the new formed denomination, United Church of Christ. On July 16, 1972, during the ministry of Rev. John Kautz, St. Jacobs celebrated the 150th Anniversary of the church which was founded by Rev. William Weinel in 1822.
Officers of St. Jacob's UCC at the time of the 150th Anniversary:
- Elders: Clarence Altman, Wendell Rupert, Harold Uptegraph
- Deacons: Eugene Yount, William Espey, David Dunmire