Short HIstory of Anderson Clan from William Anderson - 1750
By Howard B. Anderson
The Anderson's migrated to the United States in 1816 from Northern Ireland. They came from the parish of Aghadowey, and a townland named Meave Manougher. The townland was a tract of about 176 acres that was owned by a merchant Taylor. The Andersons farmed eighty acres of Meave Manougher. The family had come from the lowlands of Scotland.
Records show a John Anderson who was the father of William Anderson. In Ireland, William met and married Mary Haggerty. William and Mary were both born in 1750. They had four children whose names were Mary, born in 1786, John born in 1788, William born in 1790, and Margaret born in 1792. Mary married James Young, John married Margaret Thompson in 1810, William married Elizabeth Logan in 1814, and Margaret married Daniel Patterson.
As young married couples, the four children of William and Mary Haggerty Anderson migrated to the United States where there were opportunities to own land and where there was greater religious freedom. The Andersons were Scot-Presbterian but were required to tithe to the Church of Ireland as well as to their church in Killaig.
With their children gone to America, William and Mary Haggerty Anderson joined them about 1825. They first lived with their son John near Taylorsville in Indiana County, Pennsylvania. They then moved to their son William's farm at Stewartsville, now called Parkwood, PA. Mary died in 1836 and is buried in the West Union Cemetery. After Mary's death, William made his home with the youngest daughter, Margaret Patterson, who lived at Bealsville, Ohio. He is buried with the Pattersons in Ohio.
William and Elizabeth Logan Anderson had fourteen children. The oldest child, John, was born three weeks after the young couple arrived at Chester, PA.
John Logan Anderson married Eliza Caldwell. They had ten children. Their oldest son, William, was killed in the Civil War. John and Eliza Anderson lived on their farm at Parkwood. At one time prior to 1888, they owned the Anderson farm on Route 156 at the Girty Road. The farm was owned by three of their sons, James, John E. and Samuel T. James sold the farm to John E. to get money for a planer mill. John E. sold the farm to his father and operated a pottery at West Lebanon.
In 1888, John and Eliza divided the 110 acres, giving John E. the lower half where there was a vein of clay that John used in his pottery. The upper half of the farm was sold to Samuel who had married and needed a home. In 1888, the farm and house were log buildings. The two oldest children, David and Carl, were born in the log house. Norma was born at Grandmother Brown's home in upper Indiana County at the time of Grandmother Brown's death. The present house was built in 1894 and all the other children were born in the new house.
Samuel and Jennie (Brown) Anderson made their living doing farm work. Samuel died in 1920 and Jennie died in 1932.
In 1932, Carl and Ida (Swank) Anderson moved to the farm from Vandergrift. Carl went to Vandergrift in 1913 and worked in the mill as an electrician for 44 years. He served as Justice of the Peace in South Bend Township for thirty years. He died in 1971 at the age of 80. Ida died in 1981 at age 86. The farm is now owned jointly by their heirs.