SURNAMES: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
- HOUSEMAN posted by Samuel J. Hardman on Sunday, December 1, 1996
- I should very much like to have information on the marriage of Charles Houseman and Emily Gain(es) which must have taken place in Potter or Tioga Co., Pa. between the years 1850-1870. Any information on this family will be greatly appreciated.
- WASHBURN posted by Carl Washburn on Friday, December 6, 1996
- Requesting any information available regarding JOSIAH WASHBURN b. 1809, 1st m. Eliza Howe, 2nd m. Jane Reed. Children ? Silas S., Moses E., Sally Ann, Charles, Rosette from first; Lynden O. from second. My gggrandfather was Ordell. Could this be the 'O' for Lynden. Any information regarding ancestors or descendents greatly appreciated.
- BARTHOLOMEW, CORSAW posted by Connie Frederick on Friday, December 6, 1996
- I would appreciate any information on the surnames BARTHOLOMEW and CORSAW, living in Potter County during the 1800's. Ira & Julia BARTHOLOMEW along with their children; David, Mary, Charles & Delana, are first found living in Clara Township during the 1870 Census. Their oldest daughter, Juliann, had by that time married Oscar CORSAW and they were residing in Clara Township, also. Oscar was the son of John & Rachel CORSAW. These parents, along with their two sons; Oscar & Harrison, were first found residing in Coudersport, PA, during the 1850 Census. Rachel Corsaw's maiden name is unknown, the census shows her as being born in PA. The BARTHOLOMEWs apparently moved before the next census, the whereabouts are unknown, they originally came from NY. I have census data for the years 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900 & 1910, obituaries for Oscar & Juliann, and the daeth dates for John & Rachel. Any other information would be greatly appreciated. T
- HARRISON, HURLBERT posted by J Rankin on Friday, December 6, 1996
- I had a look-up done and the index for Harrison showed what might be my GGG Grandmother. Was Harrison Valley called Harrison in 1860 or am I looking at the wrong county? If this is the right county, she was on P. 108 (HURLBERT, Julia A.) & I would like to know where to write for a copy of the enumeration. Thank you for your help. Judy in Yellowknife, NWT Canada.
>>>Dan's Response Follows
I know it is confusing but in this part of country, Pennsylvania has settlements, boroughs and townships. Harrison Valley is a settlement - a cluster of houses - which is in Harrison Township - an area of land which may have many settlements. For example, the settlement of Mills is in Harrison Township, Potter County. A borough is a large settlement that incorporated [I think.]. Luckily NO Harrison County in PA. :^)
In the 1800s, people would say they were born is such-and-such township. I have records that so indicate. Therefore, your hunch is right about your GGG Grandmother. She could be born in Harrison and later live in Harrison Valley.
It is even more confusing since some settlements changed their names. For example the settlement of Lewisville was in Ulysses Township and later they changed the name to the Borough of Ulysses.
- BABCOCK, HAMMOND posted by No on Tuesday, December 10, 1996
- My wife's ggparents Dwight Lewis HAMMOND and Emma BABCOCK, originally came to michigan from new york through PA, most of their family staying there. Dwight's parents were Nathan C Hammond (Judge or JP in Potter Co) and Mary Treat. Emma's parents were Lyman and Mariah Babcock. D L & Emma were married in Pleasant Valley PA. i'm interest in any info you can give me on their families that stayed in PA, also in info on their marriage - all i have is the year 1878.
- WILCOX posted by Bonnie on Wednesday, December 11, 1996
- William M WILCOX born 1830 East Hebron, Potter Co., PA. He married Orrissa ? and had 4 children. Orson, William L, Mary, Ira and Emma. William M served in the Civil War, Co., G, 46th Reg. PVI and died in a confederate prison in Florence, SC. Hoping to share information on this line.
- BROWNLEE, DARLING, JORDAN, MCSHERRY posted by Larry L. Jordan on Wednesday, December 11, 1996
- John and Mary Jordan of Wharton Twp. had daughters Eleanor (b.11 Jan 1839), Mary (b.13 May 1843), and Nancy (b. 12 Jan 1846). Eleanor married _____ McSherry, Mary married _____ Darling, and Nancy married _____ Brownlee. Does anyone know the given names of these husbands and where they located?
- SHUTTS posted by Sheila Shutts on Monday, December 16, 1996
- Peter SHUTTS b. 26 Aug 1811 New York, lived for twenty years in Potter County PA. I have no idea what town. His son Lewis Ebenezer/Ebenezer Lewis SHUTTS was born in Potter County, 19 Oct 1847. The family removed to Benton County Iowa in the 1850's. Would love to share family info.
- MIGHELL, TAYLOR posted by Brenda L. Struthers on Thursday, December 26, 1996
- Is there any possibility of finding a birth record of my maternal grandmother in Potter county? Bertha Lois Mighell born about 1887 in or around Westfield, her parents were William Nelson Mighell and Clara Taylor. I've been searching for this record for ages and it sure seems impossible from up here in Massachusetts. Please, let me know if you have received this. I am new to the internet and want to be sure I am doing it right.
Received your message fine. Welcome to the Internet.
Sorry, but birth records in Potter County start at 1893. Also, Westfield is in Tioga County. You might try the 1890 census and see if she is listed.
Return to the Potter County Genealogy Project
(c) Potter County Genealogy Project