List of modern Potter County Newspapers
- Potter Leader-Enterprise, Coudersport, PA
- The Free Press-Courier - not in Potter County per se but serves the Galeton area of Potter County.
Founded in 1878 as the Free Press
Merged 1942 with the Knoxville Courier
Established Valley and Mountain Editions 1957
Member of Penna. Newspaper Publishers Association
National Newspaper Association
Published weekly at 199 W. Main St Westfield, PA 16950
814-367-2230 Fax 814-367-5092
The above information is taken out of the newspaper - which is a weekly newspaper. There is a "Valley Edition" for Westfield Area and a "Mountain Edition" that covers the Galeton Area.
Submitted by a Galeton native.
List of Early Potter County Newspapers (up to 1890)
Reference is "History of the Counties of McKean, Elk, Cameron and Potter, Pennsylvania with Biographical Selections," 1890, J. H. Beers and Co., page 1021-1022.
- Democratic Republican - first newpaper in Potter County; Coudersport 1839 - 1851; name changed to Potter Pennant and merged into Potter Pioneer.
- Potter County Union - 1851 - 1855.
- Potter Journal 1848 - ; later named Potter County Journal; (1853 - 1861 was named People's Journal).
- Highland Patriot - Coudersport; 1854 for a few years.
- Northern Democrat - Coudersport; c1855 for a short time.
- Item - Coudersport; 1874; merged with Potter Journal after a few months.
- Potter Enterprize - Coudersport; 1875 - .
- Workman - Coudersport; 1887 - 1889.
- Ulysses Sentinel - Lewisville (later Ulysses); 1881-1895, 1907-1911, index of these years in Potter County Historical Society.
- Valley Mail - Harrisonville; c 1885; named changed to The Banner.
- The Palladium - Shinglehouse; name changed to The Signal and later Sharon Leader. In 1889, The Leader and The Ceres Courant consolidated to Oswayo Valley Mail.
Return to the Potter County Genealogy Project
(c) Potter County Genealogy Project