WESTFALL TOWNSHIP was set off from Milford January 31, 1839. It is named in honor of the Westfall family, who were among the pioneer settlers within its limits. Westfall is the eastern township of Pike County, and is inclosed on the northeast and southeast by the Delaware River, which makes a decided bend at Carpenter's Point, changing its general course from southeast to southwest. New York State lies northeast across the Delaware, and New Jersey bounds it on the southeast, Milford township borders it on the southwest and Shohola on the northwest. Across the Delaware, below Port Jervis, stands the Tri-States Rock, at the point of a rocky peninsula, lying between the Delaware and the Neversink. This rock is the corner of the three States, New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The distance from Matamoras, situated on the Delaware just across from Port Jervis, to Milford, is seven miles, which is traveled by stage-coaches. The valley from Matamoras varies from a mile to one-fourth of a mile in width, having a high bluff on the right, over which the little Buttermilk Falls descends during a part of the year. The valley up the Delaware from Matamoras is narrow, and traversed by the Erie Railway from Saw-Mill Rift to Pond Eddy. The interior of the township is a rocky pine barren and generally uncultivated.
The pioneer history of Westfall township dates from the Revolution, and like most of the old settlements along the Delaware, is largely lost or preserved only as a tradition. The Quicks, De Witts, Westfalls, Van Akens and Rosecrances were the pioneers of Westfall township and the Middaghs and Carpenters were there at an early day. According to ex-Lieutenant-Governor Bross, who is a descendant of the Quicks, on his mother's side, Thomas Quick came from Holland and settled near Milford, Pa., in 1730-35. He was the father of Tom Quick, the Indian killer, and James Quick. Thomas Quick had a grist-mill on the Vandemark before the Revolution, in Milford township. Peter Quick, probably a brother of his, located in Westfall township and built a grist-mill and saw-mill either just before or after the Revolution.* He took up a large tract of land in the vicinity of Quicktown. His children were Jacob; John; Margaret, wife of Dr. Francis Al. Smith, who lived for some time on part of the old Quick property; Elias Quick, who emigrated to the West; Cornelius, who lived in Milford; and Roger, who resided in New Jersey; Jane married Cyrus Jackson and Maria became Mrs. Cornelius Cox.
Of these sons, Jacob Quick, Esq., an enterprising man, had a grist-mill and saw-mill on Quick Creek, at Quicktown, a blacksmith shop and lived in a large house. Of his children, John married Maria Middagh and resided on part of his father's property. His widow, aged eighty-eight years, still lives on the property with her son, Charles Quick. She is a lifetime resident in this vicinity and remembers many anecdotes of the pioneers. She says her stepfather related that on one occasion eighteen persons were in a flat-boat and the Indians shot every one that handled the oars. Finally a negress took the oars and was likewise shot in the mouth and killed. All were slain with the exception of one child, who was taken prisoner and did not escape until he was nineteen years of age. (This same story has come to the writer in a little different form from other sources.) This happened down on the Delaware, opposite Lehman.
"Sally Decker was taken prisoner by the Indians on the place now occupied by Soferyne Vannoy, where the old orchard was located. She came over with her brother to milk a cow, bearing with her a gun, for she could shoot. The Indians secured her, however, and encamped near by for the night. Her Indian captor was very unkind, but soon sold her to an old Indian, who was good to her. He one day asked her if she would like to return home. She said she would, but she did not expect to find any of her family alive. He took her to Philadelphia and sold her to a person who purchased her ransom. He dispatched a man on horseback to her father to inform him of his daughter's liberation. He sent a span of horses to bring her back, and, on her arrival, all the neighbors gathered to see her. They call the locality Saunches Clofee or Sally's Hollow, to this day. It is just below Quicktown." Mrs. Quick says "it was a very common thing to see people dressed in buckskin clothes. They used wooden trenchers, and later pewter plates." Gen. Samuel Seely had a store many years ago near the present Klaer mill. Mrs. Quick remarks, "I have heard my grandmother tell about buying coarse earthenware dishes there. His store and the one Benjamin Carpenter started at Carpenter's Point were the first stores in all this region of country, as I have heard from my grandmother. I never saw but one light wagon in my life when I was young, and that was owned by Dick Westbrook. He was lame, and, being wealthy, he had a two-wheeled light wagon and a negro to wait on him. About sixty years ago Courtright Middagh bought a light wagon with wooden springs. His lines were ropes."
John B. Quick, the second son of Peter Quick, married one of Jacobus Rosecrans' daughters, and remained on the homestead. He was a farmer, lumberman, and first started the "Half-Way House," and lived to be eighty-five years of age. He was an enterprising man. In 1824 he purchased twelve hundred acres of anthracite coal lands at Hyde Park, in Luzerne County, Pa. He and others got a charter for a railroad from Milford to the Lackawanna Valley, but the representative from Pike wished the road to go lower down, and, by inserting words to that effect in the charter, killed the road.** "He burned the first anthracite coal used in New York, at the Orange County Hotel, on Cortlandt Street." He took Gilbert L. Thompson into partnership with him in the coal business, afterward sold a three-fourths interest to other patties, and a company was formed which undertook to mine coal, but they did not, however, succeed. The company agreed to give Quick fifteen thousand dollars for the three-fourths interest, but only paid him six thousand dollars. Quick held possession until 1841, when an ejectment suit was brought against Jacob R. Quick, one of John B. Quick's sons. Peter A.L. Quick, another son, who also had an interest, was not notified, and the project failed. Peter A.L. Quick took up the matter, which had been pending in the courts for thirty years. On carrying it to the Supreme Court, Judge Alfred Hand, attorney for the Susquehanna and Wyoming Valley Railroad Company, settled with him for forty thousand dollars. This arrangement left Quick's lawyers unpaid, as they were to have a certain amount providing they were successful with the suit. Quick claimed that he took ten thousand dollars less than he otherwise should have done, with the understanding that Hand should pay them. His attorneys brought suit against him, and after three years' litigation, Quick compromised the matter. John B. Quick's sons are Martin C. Quick, James R. Quick and Peter A.L. Quick, who now owns the Newman property in Delaware township.
Jacob De Witt before the Revolution owned the land along the Delaware River from below Milford to the Half-Way House. He had a log fort on the Simeon Cuddeback farm, and remained there during the conflict, until taken prisoner by the Indians and carried to Canada. He was kept there for three years. Cornelius, his son, settled near the Half-Way House, where he cultivated a large farm. He dressed in buckskin throughout, and was dubbed "Buckeyhout," which means "buckskin" in Dutch. The De Witts were friendly with the Indians and great hunters. His son, Lodowick De Witt, owned about one thousand acres of land. Cornelius, one of his sons, lives on the hills in Westfall, and Jacob P. De Witt resides near the "Half-Way House."
Jacobus Van Aken and Herman Rosen Krantz,*** father of Jacobus Rosencrans, settled before the Revolution where Rosetown now is, then known as Upper Smithfield. Jacobus Van Aken owned a good farm on the Delaware flats. His son, Garret Van Aken, was born there in 1770. He was a militia captain and generally called Captain Van Aken. John Van Aken, another son, moved to Ontario, N.Y. Of Garret's children, Margaret was the wife of Levi Middagh, and Sally married John W. Middagh. Benjamin Cole Van Aken lived on part of the homestead and Frederick A. Rose purchased a portion of it. Benjamin C. had a family of nine children, of whom William B. Van Aken was track supervisor on the Erie Railroad for twelve years, when he removed to Wisconsin and died there. John M. Van Aken lives at Matamoras. He has been treasurer of Pike County, and is now collector of internal revenue for Wayne, Pike and Monroe Counties.
Herman Rosen Kranz's name appears on a petition for a township in what afterwards became Upper Smithfield in 1750. His son, Jacobus Rosencrans, was probably born in what is now Westfall township, and lived neighbor to old Jacobus Van Aken, Esq., and his son Garret. He owned a large farm near the Delaware, now the property of the Roses. His farm was divided among his five daughters, reserving a piece in the centre for himself. His daughters were Betsey, who married Manual Brink and lived at Chocopee; Lena, married Matyne Cole, who resided in the Clove, N.J. (Judge Martin V. Cole, of Montague, is a grandson); Catharine, married to Daniel Decker, her first husband, who reared a family of children. Crissie Bull, her second husband, lived on part of the Rosencrans farm. They had two sons and two daughters. The first son was named James, in honor of his grandfather, and in accordance with the plan of all the sisters to name one child James. As a result, they were each presented with a yoke of oxen. James Bull died in youth, and the next son, who was named Rosencrans Bull, married Jennie Westfall. They resided on a farm in Milford township until recently, when, on leaving it in charge of his son, he moved to Milford, his present residence. Hannah Bull was the wife of Colonel Henry S. Mott, of Milford, and Maria Bull, another daughter of Crissie Bull's, married Eli Van Inwegen, of Port Jervis. Annchy Rosencrans was the wife of Saunders Ennis, of New Jersey, and Polly was the wife of John B. Quick.
Simon Westfall located at Carpenter's Point in 1755, and was among the first settlers. He built a stone house or fort, and had also a grist-mill on the Clove Brook. It was an important position and the Indians tried many times to surprise the place. This family were first attacked by Brandt in 1779. Simon Westfall moved his household back farther in New Jersey and laid up on the hills with three loaded guns to watch his buildings. He saw the Indians firing his barn. Firing his guns at them, he fled, but they succeeded in burning all his buildings. His marriage is kept in the records of the old Dutch Reformed Church, among those whose banns had been published, as follows:
"1743, March 13. Simon Westfael,(4*) young man, born in Dutchess County, dwelling in Smithfield in Bucks County, to Jannete Westbroeck, young woman, born at Mormel, dwelling at Menissinck, married the 17th day of April, by Peter Kuyckendal, justice of the peace."
This shows that he was a resident of Pennsylvania in 1743, but he appears to have built across the river at Carpenter's Point in 1755. He died 1805, aged eighty-seven. He had five children, of whom Simeon was the only one who settled in Pike County. He built a stone house after the Revolution on the Delaware River at a point called Sims Clip, where there was formerly a reef of rocks in the river at that place, about opposite the Tri-States Rock. He was a farmer and also kept a public-house. His wife, Sally Cole, was a daughter of Benjamin Cole, of Deckertown. She buried her work-basket in the corn-field when the Westfall family left their homes on account of the Indians. After they returned she dug up the basket, which contained, among other things, a pair of shears that were in great demand in the neighborhood, as they were the only pair in the vicinity. She lived to be ninety-five years old, and often talked with her descendants about the Indian depredations. Their children were Simon, who settled in Deerpark (now Port Jervis), and kept a tavern, and David Westfall, who owned a farm of about two hundred acres where Matarnoras now stands. His house stood on a knoll in "Old Matamoras," back from the Delaware about three hundred and fifty yards. He was a farmer and lumberman. He married Jemima, a daughter of Captain Cuddeback, of Deerpark. His children were Abram, Simeon, Cornelius, Wilhelmus and Jacob, sons, and the daughters Esther, who moved West, and Sally, wife of James Bennet, of Carpenter's Point. She is now eighty-four years of age, a clear-headed, well-preserved old lady, who is familiar with the Westfall pedigree from old Simon Westfall to the present generation. Simon Westfall (2d) was a farmer and blacksmith. He lived and died at Matamoras, August 22, 1878, aged eighty-six. His wife was Sarah, daughter of Jacob Cuddeback. Their children were Abram, Sarah J. (wife. of James W. Quick), Peter G. (who was killed in Canada while serving as fireman). Simeon C. Westfall inherited the property where the village of Matamoras now stands, and where he at present resides.
Cornelius Westfall married Huldah Cuddeback, and lived on the Delaware River in Westfall township. He was justice of the peace, and died at the age of eighty-three. His children were Jemima (wife of R.C. Bull, of Milford), Elizabeth (wife of P.G. Canfield, who lives in Sullivan County), Sarah (unmarried). Jacob C. Westfall, the only son, lived on the homestead and took his father's place as justice of the peace. George Westfall, a son of old Simeon, Sr., lived on the homestead for many years, and later sold to Jacob Cuddeback, when he removed to the West.
TRI-STATES ROCK AND CARPENTER'S POINT.-No history of Pike County would be complete that did not include some account of Tri-States Rock and Carpenter's Point. Tri-States Rock is located at the point of a rocky promontory formed by the junction of the Neversink with the Delaware River. At this point a granite rock has been established by commissioners appointed for that purpose, where the States of New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey converge. A little south of the Tri-States Rock is Carpenter's Point, so named in honor of the Carpenter family. The oldest Carpenter of whom any definite knowledge can be obtained was Benjamin, who lived on the New Jersey side of the river and kept a store, as also the ferry which bears his name. The village of Carpenter's Point, half a mile above the mouth of the Neversink, now linked to Port Jervis by a suspension bridge, held, until the opening of the Delaware and Hudson Canal, in 1828, the position at present occupied by Port Jervis, as the most important place in the district, and was the centre of business for the surrounding country. Here was the post-office, the store, the mill, the blacksmith shop and the comfortable inn, where the traveler, after his tedious journey over the old turnpike, found good entertainment for man and beast. We have been thus particular to describe Carpenter's Point, although it is on the Jersey side of the river, because this ferry was the crossing-place of the old pioneers who settled in Pike and Wayne. The Connecticut Yankees, in particular, came to Newburgh, where they crossed the Hudson and bore west until they reached the old "Mine Road," which they followed to Carpenter's Point. Here they were ferried over by the Carpenters or Courtnight Middagh and his sons, who had the ferry for many years, to the Pennsylvania side. They were then driven to Milford. John Biddis had a mill and store near the present Klaer's mill. Here they took the old "Wilderness road,"(5*) then crossed the Sawkill, passed up to Frank Olmstead's present home and thence through Blooming Grove to Major Ainsley's, on the " Dolph Bingham" place, where it crossed the Wallenpaupack near the Marshall Purdy place. Thus on through Purdy settlement, Little Meadows, in Salem, and Cobb's Gap to the Lackawanna and Wyoming Valleys. Afterward a turnpike was built, as also a turnpike from Milford to Carbondale, in Pennsylvania, and Oswego, in New York. Those were halcyon days for the tally-ho stage-coach and this was a thoroughfare of travel en route for what was then the great West. Courtright Middagh, a large, coarse-grained, bony man, who lived on the Pennsylvania side, was kept busy ferrying travelers over the Delaware with his flat ferry-boat that would carry one loaded wagon with two teams attached, propelled by paddles and shoved by poles. All is now changed. There is a suspension bridge above the old ferrying-place that connects Port Jervis and Matamoras and the New York, Lake Erie and Western Railroad carries the passengers with mighty steam-power, in place of the old "tally-ho" to Western lands never dreamed of by our ancestors. Port Jervis, with its eleven thousand inhabitants and constant puffing of engines, has superseded Carpenter's Point, and Matamoras, which is in Westfall township, just opposite, is a village of some seven hundred inhabitants. In 1844 Gabriel Mapes built a hotel where Matamoras now is. Oliver S. Dimmick, son of Dan. Dimmick, purchased the hotel and ferry in connection with it in 1846. The ferry was first started by Simeon Westfall, about 1830. Mr. Dimmick laid out the town about the time of the Mexican War, which accounts for its name. Besides keeping a public-house, he carried a stock of goods and was the first postmaster of the place. He represented his district twice in the Assembly of Pennsylvania and was associate judge of Pike County for five years. He married a daughter of Major Hornbeck, and had five children. Of these, Jacob Dimmick, a lumber dealer in Port Jervis, has represented his district twice in the Assembly of New York, and William H. Dimmick is an attorney-at-law in Honesdale.
The first bridge was built above the present location about 1850, and after its destruction by high winds the present suspension bridge was built. After Dimmick, Adolph Kessler had a small store. There are now three stores, three hotels and a school-house that cost about five thousand dollars and embraces four departments. It is too near Port Jervis to be a business centre, and is therefore more a place of residence for the Port Jervis overflow.
A Philadelphia company(6*) had a glass factory on the Delaware, above Matamoras, about 1800. This was before the days of anthracite coal, their object in settling in the wilderness being cheap fuel. It was less expensive to transport material for glass and the manufactured article back again than to buy fuel near Philadelphia. They blew window glass principally and operated the factory for a number of years, but the use of coal, and the improved means of travel consequent thereon, changed the conditions under which this factory was operated, and it was abandoned. They transported their glass to Philadelphia with horse teams. There was some communication with Philadelphia up the Delaware by means of Durham boats, these boats being propelled by paddles or shoved by poles. Merchandise has been brought to Carpenter's Point and vicinity in this way. Benjamin Carpenter had a son Benjamin, who succeeded to his father's home, and another son, John, who lived on the Pennsylvania side. Not even a road leads to the old ferry now, and nothing but a lane is seen, which goes past some very old apple-trees and the old foundation of a house. Just above the old ferry, on the old Pahaquarry road, is the burying-ground where the early Dutch pioneers who dwelt in this vicinity sleep, with rude, unlettered stones, in most cases to mark the spot. Not far away was the old log church where Johannes Casparius Fryenmoet gave his people strong Calvinistic doctrine in pure, unadulterated Dutch, as he stood perched on a single post, with a sounding-board over his head. This rude beginning has resulted in the present elegant brick Reformed Church in Port Jervis, with the proud inscription over the entrance, "Founded in 1737." The people on the Pennsylvania side attend church in Port Jervis; consequently there are no church edifices in Matamoras. It is known that a blacksmith by the name of William Tietsort, or Titsworth, lived among the friendly Indians near Carpenter's Point as early as 1690. Here the early Dutch pioneers came down from Esopus on the Hudson, and settled on the flatlands near the Delaware. Their implements were rude, their wagon wheels being entirely of wood. The felloes were clumsy wooden pieces, pinned together, without any tire. Four trips to Esopus and back was considered good service for one of these wagons, and a pail of water often answered for a mirror to the traveler. These early settlers appear to have cultivated friendship with the Indians, and had no particular trouble until the "French and Indian War" of 1755, when there were not a great many inhabitants in the valley.
The Lenapes ravaged the country lying along the line of the Blue Ridge from the Delaware to the Susquehanna. The war-path of the Minsis lay along the frontier of New Jersey and Orange and Ulster Counties, N.Y. In 1758 the hatchet was buried and the pipe of peace smoked by the Delawares and the pale faces of the Minisink country. Thus this war, which had been brought on by the rapacity of the English proprietaries, but whose terrors had been felt by the peaceful Dutch settlers as well, was brought to a close and the latter were again permitted to resume the pursuits of peace. During the Revolutionary War the Dutch settlers were inclined to live as peaceably as possible with the Indians. Not in the sense of being Tories, but because they looked upon the Revolutionary War as a Yankee and English struggle in which they had no interest. Their friends and ancestors in some instances, perhaps, had been compelled to submit to English authority in New Amsterdam, and these Yankees were but descendants of the English. This was a perfectly natural view for the Minisink settler, and that many of them kept as neutral as possible we have abundant evidence. But the Indians looked upon this as an opportunity to expel the white man, and the Minisink Valley became one continuous frontier line from Port Jervis to Delaware Water Gap. The Pennsylvania side, in particular, was exposed and raided by the Indians until there were but few settlers remaining within the present bounds of Pike County. This valley was raided in 1778, when Count Pulaski was sent with his cavalry for its protection and was engaged in that service during the winter following. In the spring of 1779 hostilities were renewed, and all the mills, stores and houses at Carpenter's Point and vicinity were burned. The schoolteacher, Jeremiah Van Auken, was killed, but the little girls were saved by Brant, who had painted a sign on their aprons which the savages respected. July 19, 1779, the fatal battle of Minisink was fought opposite the mouth of the Lackawaxen River. The following petition, which has been preserved in the correspondence of Captain James Bonnel, shows the condition of the Pennsylvania frontier in 1782:
"MINISINK, 10th December, 1782.
"His excellency, Governor Livingston, and the Honorable Legislative Council and General Assembly of New Jersey.
"Gentlemen, we, the inhabitants of the frontier of the County of Sussesx, beg leave to present our petition to the Honorable Legislature of the State. The Inhabitants who formerly lived on the Pennsylvania Side of the river opposite to us have Principally left their Farms and moved into Jersey and other places to escape savage cruelty. These Inhabitants was formerly a considerable guard to us, but there is nothing to stop the Enemy but the river, which is Fordible in a grate Number of Places a considerable part of the year, Particularly in Harvest and other times when the Enemy can do us the Gratest Damage. The Situation of this country and the manner the Savages Carry on the War like a Thief in the Night, renders it impracticable to depend on the Malitia for Security, for before they can be collected the Mischief is done and the Enemy secure in the Wilderness. Numbers of us have friends and near relatives who have been torn from their familys and connections and are groaning under cruel Savage Captivity.
These labour under the sad remembrance of having experienced the Truly Shocking Spectacle of Seeing there Dearest Connections Brutally Murdered and Scalped before there Eyes, and we have grate reason to fear that we shall share the same fate unless some move be adopted for our security. We therefore most earnestly pray that a Law may be passed by the Honourable Legislature before they adjourn for raising a company of about Eighty men, Properly officered and to be Stationed here for our Protection the Ensuing Campaign."(7*)
The signatures of the petitioners do not appear in the record that Captain Bonnel has made of this petition. Such, then, was the condition of the pioneers in Westfall (then Upper Smithfield) and all the townships bordering on the Delaware in Pike County, or Upper Smithfield and Delaware townships. Among the later settlers of Westfall are Benjamin Van Inwegen, who located on the river road, not far from Matamoras, about 1830. He was a very conscientious man, and descended from an old family just across the Delaware. Eli Van Inwegen, a son of his, is the vice-president of the First National Bank of Port Jervis, and his son is cashier of the same bank. Benjamin Van Inwegen, a descendant of Benjamin Van Inwegen, the first, occupies the homestead, and Andrew and Solomon Van Inwegen live in Matamoras.
Baltus Nearpass, a descendant of Jacob Nearpass, who located in Montague, about two miles below Carpenter's Point, in 1750, settled at Saw-Mill Rift, which lies up the Delaware in Westfall township. (The Nearpasses are of German origin.) Jacob Nearpass went back to Germany, expecting to get a large amount of gold and silver; but, instead, he returned only with two guns, one of which was used by his son Baltus in the battle of Minisink, where he was killed. Baltus' son John raised a large family of children, most of whom settled in Westfall township. They were Baltus, of Saw Mill Rift; Michael; William; Jacob; Rachel, wife of Wm. K. Stone, who lived at the glass factory; Polly, wife of Benjamin Westbrook, who lived near Quicktown; and Catharine, wife of James Sawyer, of Saw-Mill Rift. Wm. H. Nearpass, one of Michael Nearpass' sons, is editor of the Port Jervis Gazette, is much interested in the history of the Minisink, and has collected valuable information which is accessible to the writer. His labors in translating and publishing old Dutch church records, have shed much light on the early history of the Minisink.
Among others, we find that the De Witts were in Upper Smithfield in 1754, as evidenced by marriage records. Saw-Mill Rift at present contains about a half-dozen houses. The Erie Railway crosses from New York to the Pennsylvania side near this place. The flat between the Delaware and the mountain is narrow from Matamoras to Pond Eddy. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in quarrying along the Delaware, above Saw-Mill Rift.
Frederick A. Rose was born in Hartford, Conn., in 1789, and was a descendant of one of the early settlers of the New England States. At the age of four years he came with his parents to Montague, N.J., and eleven years after the family settled at Pond Eddy, shortly after removing to Masthope, where they engaged extensively in the lumber business. In 1813 they repaired to the mouth of the Mongaup River, and remained until 1828, when Frederick A. Rose, who was then married, purchased the old Rosencrans' farm, in Westfall township, and removed to the same. Here he remained until 1839, when he again went to Pond Eddy, and engaged extensively in the lumbering and rafting business. In this he was very successful. He was well known in all the lumber regions along the Delaware River, and noted as a bold lumber speculator. After a few years he returned to his farm, one of the finest in the valley, where he remained until his death, in his eighty-eighth year. His children were Benjamin H. Rose (of Rosetown), Elijah Rose, Mrs. Isaac Cuddeback and Mrs. E.P. Gumaer. The Rosetown property, which consists of the greater part of the old Rosencrance farm and a portion of the Van Aken farm, is held by the descendants of Frederick A. Rose.
William Brodhead, a son of Richard Brodhead, lived in Westfall township, just out from Milford, a number of years, when he sold the property to Simeon Cuddeback, who died recently, aged nearly eighty.
Soferyne Vannoy lives by the river, on a farm formerly occupied by Mr. Van Gordon.
The public schools of Westfall township are those of "Saw-Mill Rift,"
Stairway," Matamoras Graded School and Quicktown School.
* Peter A.L. Quick says that Peter Quick settled about one-half mile from the Delaware in 1770, and that his wife was Margaret Westbrook.
** Peter A.L. Quick's recollections.
*** Herman Rosen Krantz is the old form of spelling the name.
(4*) Old spelling of Westfall.
(5*) This road was first cut through by the Connecticut settlers in 1762.
(6*) Mathew Ridgway was the principal man in it.
(7*) The above is a literal copy of the petition.
Page(s) 898-904; History of Wayne, Pike and Monroe counties, Pennsylvania, Mathews, Alfred, Philadelphia, R. T. Peck & Co., 1886