88th Regiment



On the 9th ofAugust, 1861, George P. M'Lean, then Major of theTwenty-second Pennsylvania regiment, three months' service, received authorityfrom the Secretary of War, Hon. Simon Cameron, to organize an infantryregiment, which was at first known as the Cameron Light Guards, subsequentlythe Eighty-eighth. A camp was formed at Wissahickon, near Philadelphia,recruiting actively commenced, and the regiment was scarcely filled beforeorders were received on October 1st, to report to General Casey, at Washington, forassignment to duty. The following were the field officers:

  • George P. M'Lean, Colonel
  • Joseph A. M'Lean, Lieutenant Colonel
  • George W. Gile, Major
  • Benezet F. Foust, Adjutant

Companies A, B, andH, were recruited in Berks county, and the remaining companies in Philadelphia. Immediatelyon its arrival in Washington,it was ordered into camp at Kendall Green.

On the 12th of October, it moved toAlexandria, Virginia, and was assigned to provost guardduty, in and around the city, relieving the Fourth New Jersey. Until this timethe command was without arms, having left Philadelphiabut partially uniformed, and without equipments. The regiment here received theState colors, which were presented by Hon. Galusha A.Grow, Speaker of the House of Representatives, and were received in behalf ofthe regiment by Hon. William D. Kelly, member of Congress from Philadelphia. Patriotic speeches were alsomade by Colonel M'Lean, General Montgomery, incommand of the district, and others. It was armed with the Enfieidrifle.

Guard duty was relieved of itsmonotony by company and battalion drills, and parades. The regiment continuedon this duty, much to the satisfaction of the loyal citizens, until February18th, 1862, when companies A, C, D, E and I, under Colonel M'Lean,were ordered to garrison the forts on the Marylandside of the Potomac. The remaining companiescontinued on duty in Alexandria,under command of Major Gile.

On the 17th of April, the regimentwas re-united, both battalions having been ordered to report to BrigadierGeneral Duryea, at Cloud's Mills, near Alexandria.Here it remained until the 23d, when it was detailed to guard the Orange and Alexandria Railroad from Bull Run to Fairfax Court House. Continuing on this duty until May 7th,orders were received to report to Major General M'Dowell, then in command of acorps near Fredericksburg,and upon its arrival, it was placed in General Ricketts' Brigade, composed ofthe Twenty-sixth and Ninety-fourth New York, Eighty-eighth and NinetiethPennsylvania, of Ord's Division.

On the 20th of May, the divisionwas reviewed by General M'Dowell, and on the 23d, by President Lincoln. On the25th, the corps received marching orders. Leaving camp in the afternoon, theregiment after a forced march arrived at AcquiaLanding at midnight, and taking a transport next morning, reached Alexandria and encamped on the night of the 26th, near Manassas.

On the following day commenced aseries of forced marches up the Shenandoah Valley, passing through ThoroughfareGap, White Plains, Salem,and Piedmont, arriving at Front Royal on the31st. On the 1st of June, heavy firing was heard in the direction of Strasburg,supposed to be between General Shields and the enemy. The regiment was formedin line of battle expecting an attack, but after remaining some hours, wasordered to go into camp at the Forks of the Shenandoah River.The weather was very severe, the rain falling incessantly for eight days,causing much sickness.

On the 18th of June, the commandleft its unhealthy camp ground, and moved by rail to Manassas, thence to Warrenton, andsubsequently to Culpepper. On the 4th of August, General Pope having assumedcommand, preparations were made for an active campaign, and on the 9th, whileon the march, cannonading was heard in front, and the column was hurriedforward towards Cedar Mountain. TheEighty-eighth, now in General Tower's Brigade, General Ricketts being incommand of the Division, was immediately led to the extreme right of GeneralBanks' Corps, to relieve troops which had been actively engaged during theafternoon. Darkness was coming on, but the regiment while getting intoposition, was discovered by the enemy, who immediately opened upon it withartillery, which was replied to by Captain Hall's Second Maine Battery, theregiment being between the two fires. The enemy's guns were in a short timesilenced, and the troops placed in position to open the battle early nextmorning. But at day-break it was found that the enemy had fled, leaving hisdead unburied.

On the 14th of August, the line of march was taken up towards the Rapidan, halting near Pony Mountain.Large details were made for picket along the river bank, the rebel picketsbeing within hailing distance. On the 18th, orders were received to keep thecamp fires brightly burning, and at midnight a retreat commenced. The enemy wasendeavoring to flank the corps. A detail was made from the regiment to destroya bridge near Mitcbel's Station, to impede theprogress of the enemy in his pursuit. A portion of it fell prematurely,crushing Lieutenant Henry Hudson of company C, a brave and valuable officer,killing him almost instantly.

Being on rear guard the regimentwas frequently drawn up in line of battle, as the enemy werein close pursuit. After a hard and laborious march, about midnight of the 19th,the Rappahannock was crossed, and a halt madeon the north bank. The next day the artillery on either side was continuallyengaged, the Eighty-eighth supporting the Second Maine Battery, posted in anexposed position. During this engagement several men were severely wounded.Skirmishing continued daily until August 25th, when the whole command commencedfalling back. After a severe march, the day being intensely hot, the regimentwas about bivouacking at Warrenton, when a heavy cannonading commenced a fewmiles to the left, which continued without cessation for several hours. Orderswere received to march in the direction of the firing. It was soon ascertainedthat Sigel's Corps was engaged. After marching about five miles the firingceased, and the command returned, encamping just outside the town of Warrenton.

1862, Bull Run

On the 27th, aforced march was made, and on the evening of the 28th, a portion of thedivision encountered the enemy at Thoroughfare Gap. A fierce fight immediatelycommenced. The brigade was hurried forward, but being in rear, arrived as therest of the division was actively engaged. Forming immediately in line ofbattle, the Eighty-eighth was ordered to advance, but as the enemy disputed thepassage in overpowering numbers, the whole corps was withdrawn to a positionnear Gainesville.arriving at midnight. On the following morning, thecolumn continued on, passing Bristoe Station, and halted in the afternoon nearManassas Junction. Rapid firing having commenced in front, the command advancedtowards Bull Run, which was reached at nine P.M. About day-break of the 30th, the whole corps was formed in line of battle,the Eighty-eighth frequently shifting position during the early part of theday. Meanwhile a portion of the line had engaged the enemy, and the brigade wasdrawn up in rear of a wood on the extreme left of the line as a reserve. Orderswere received about four P. M., to hurry forward the command. It moved at adouble quick, and while taking position, was attacked.

The regiment opened a witheringfire and was at once actively engaged. Coionel M'Lean being absent, sick, the command devolved uponLieutenant Colonel Joseph A. M'Lean, who shortlyafter the action opened was mortally wounded, the command devolving on Major Gile. The fire in front was incessant and very severe.Portions of the line on the left had broken, and batteries forced from theirpositions, had been driven through the ranks of the Eighty-eighth, whensuddenly on their left appeared a heavy column of the enemy pouring in anenfilading fire. Meanwhile the battle raged with great fury. Captain Belsterling fell instantly killed. Captains Wagner andStretch and Lieutenants Streetand Patterson, were wounded. General Tower had fallen, andbeen carried from the field. Men were falling rapidly on every side under thewithering fire, and the regiment was at length forced to fall back closelyfollowed by the enemy. Re-forming, it again contested the enemy's advance, butit was impossible to stand the fire of artillery and musketry which was centred upon it, and it was againforced to retire, crossing Bull Run Creek, and taking position near Centrevilleat midnight. The loss in this engagement was fifteen killed, one hundred andtwo wounded, and forty-eight missing. The body of Lieutenant Colonel M'Lean was left upon the field and never recovered.

General Pope in his official reportof the battle, thus refers to the action of thebrigade:

"The conductof Tower's Brigade, Ricketts' Division, in plain view of all the forces on theleft, was especially distinguished, and drew forth hearty cheers. The exampleof this brigade was of great service and infused new spirit into all the troopswho witnessed their intrepid conduct."

About noon ofSeptember 1st, the regiment was advanced some distance in the direction of Chantilly. The brigade was filed into a wood and placedin line of battle. In a few moments rapid musketry firing commenced somedistance in front of the regiment, which proved to be a portion of the divisionengaging the enemy. Remaining in line until next day, the fighting being over,the regiment moved through Fairfax, to Upton's Hill, near Washington,and remained until the 8th. The command then broke camp, and crossing the Potomacat Aqueduct Bridge,passed through Georgetown, Washington,New Market and Frederick City, where the regimentwas detailed as guard to a wagon-train.

South Mountain and Antietam

On the 14th,hearing heavy firing in the direction of South Mountain,Major Gile left the train, and hurried forward, butnight coming on, and unable to find the division, he was compelled to remain atthe foot of the mountain. Early next morning it re-joined the brigade andcontinued the march, reaching Sharpsburgon the night of the 16th. About three P. M., next day, it crossed the AntietamCreek, where the command was at once drawn up in line of battle. After frequentchanges of position, the regiment finally bivouacked about midnight in a wood.

At day-light next morning, heavymusketry opened in front. Moving rapidly to the right, which afterwards provedto be the right of line of battle, General Hooker having command of the corps,the brigade was advanced under a heavy artillery fire. Arriving on the advancedline of battle, which was then hotly engaged, it immediately opened with rapidvolleys, which was continued for two hours. The enemy endeavored to flank thecommand, but was met by stubborn resistance, the men standing firm in the faceof his repeated assaults.

Major Gileand Captain Steeples were severely wounded early in the fight. Captain Carmack assumed command, but he also was soon wounded, andthe ranks were becoming rapidly decimated.

The enemy having been re-inforced, with renewed zeal again charged and sueceeded in driving the regiment through the woods, butnot without receiving a heavy fire in return. Re-inforcementsnow came up, and the ammunition being exhausted, the command was conducted tothe rear, where a fresh supply was issued. andpreparations made to return to the front.

About three P. AM. the regiment advanced under a heavy fire, but night coming.on, the firing gradually died away and the men,after their hard fought battle, threw thenselves uponthe ground for rest. The loss during this engagement was ten luIled and sixty-one wounded.

On the 19th the regiment marched afew miles and halted on the, Hagerstown road,near the Potomac, where clothing and freshsupplies were received. On the 29th it crossed the river at Berlin,remained a few days at Waterford,and on reaching Warrenton was ordered into camp. Only a few days were allowedfor rest, when the march was continued in inclement weather, over muddy roads.Stopping to destroy the bridge at Rappahannock Station, it reached StaffordCourt House, November 22d, and afterwards encamped at Brooks' Station. While here notice was received of the resignation of Colonel M'Lean, whereupon Lieutenant Colonel Gilewas promoted to Colonel, Captain Louis Wagner to Lieutenant Colonel, andCaptain David A. Griffith to Major.

On the 10th of December orders werereceived to be ready at a moment's notice to cross the river at Fredericksburg. Beforeday the brigade, now commanded by General Taylor, of the division of GeneralGibbons, Franklin'sGrand Division, started for the river. Resting near the banks of the streamuntil the morning of the 12th, under cover of the artillery, the regiment,under Major Griffith, crossed on the pontoon bridges, which had previously beenlaid. On reaching the opposite bank, skirmishers were thrown out, andpreparations made to attack. Advancing to the Bowling Green Road, the regimenet bivouacked for the night.

At daylight of the 13th orders werereceived to advance the brigade, which was promptly done. General Taylorordered the Eighty-eighth to go forward to the brow of a hill to silence abattery which was annoying the troops by a flank fire. On reaching the hill itpoured in a volley, but in return received a severe fire of canister, by whicha number of men in the color company were wounded, causing the regiment to fallback under cover of the hill. Again forming on the right of the brigade, thewhole line moved forward, making an effective charge and taking a large numberof prisoners. The fighting now became general and other brigades of thedivision charged, the Eighty-eighth keeping in position on the right after thebalance of the brigade had gone to the rear. The ammunition having beenexhausted and supports failing to come up, with the entire corps, it was forcedback to the Bowling Green Road.Here the line was re-formed, and marched a short distance to the left, where itremained until midnight, and was then placed on picket. A little later it wasquietly withdrawn from the picket line, and on marching to the rear, found thatthe whole army had re-crossed the river. It quickly followed, and at daylightthe bridges were removed. The loss during the battle was seven killed and fortywounded. Among the killed was acting Lieutenant George H. Fulton, and among thewounded Lieutenant James A. Napier. The next day the brigade marched to WhiteOak Church, and from thence to Fletcher's Chapel,where it went into winter-quarters. Log huts were built, a neat camp formed,and all were in a few days comfortably housed.

On the 18th of January, 1863,orders were unexpectedly received to move, when the regiment, under command ofLieutenant Colonel Wagner, was marched towards United States Ford, but owing tothe inclemency of the weather and the condition of the roads, it ended in thefamous "Mud March," and the command returned to its old camp. Afterthe resignation of Major Griffith, on the 31st of December, Adjutant Benezet F. Foust was promoted to Major, and Cyrus S. Detre to Adjutant.

Upon the initiation of theChancellorsville campaign the brigade, on the 28th of April, was marched to theRappahannock below Fredericksburg,to support the First Division of the corps, which had effecteda crossing. The enemy concentrated a well directed fire upon the regiment,which caused it to change its position for shelter. Early next morning a forcedmarch was made from the extreme left to the extreme right of the line, adistance of thirty miles, reaching Chancellorsvilleat midnight, and relieving the Eleventh Corps, where the regiment threw up aline of earthworks, in anticipation of an attack. Remaining there until thenight of the 5th of May, orders were received to withdraw. Before moving,Lieutenant Sylvester H. Martin, with a number of men was sent out between thelines to gather up the abandoned entrenching tools, which he successfullyaccomplished without loss. Marching towards the river, in a drenching rain andover muddy roads, the regiment re-crossed the Rappahannockand proceeded to White Oak Church, where a handsome camp was formed.

Gettysburg Campaign

On the 12th of Juneit was again on the march, under command of Major Foust, starting for the Gettysburg campaign.After forced marches, marching in one day thirty-two miles, it arrived on thefield on the 1st of July. The brigade was commanded by General Baxter, of Michigan, Robinson'sDivision, Reynolds' Corps. A portion of the corps having encountered the enemy,the brigade which had been on picket the previous night, was hurried forward,and filing to the left of the town, passing in the rear of the seminary, wasbrought into position on a ridge to the right of the line beyond the railroadcut and in readiness for an attack; but it had been only a few minutes in linewhen the enemy was discovered advancing on the left flank. To about-face andright half wheel was the work of a moment, and immediately heavy volleys ofmusketry were given and received at short range. The fight raged furiously, andthe enemy succeeded in gaining a hollow within easy musket range. After twohours of severe fighting, his lines having been repeatedly re-inforced, orders were given to charge, when the brigadedashed forward across an open field in the face of a heavy fire, taking nearlythe whole of one of his brigades prisoners, the Eighty-eighth capturing thecolors of the Sixteenth Alabama and Twenty-third North Carolina regiments.Discovering a heavy skirmish line of the enemy, supported by lines of battleadvancing, the command fell back to its first position. It now became painfullyapparent that the ammunition was nearly exhausted. The enemy soon began topress heavily upon front and upon both flanks. The only alternative left was tofall back, and the order was accordingly given. The enemy followed in closepursuit, driving the division through the town, pouring in a constant fire. Noopportunity was given to re-form until it reached Cemetery Ridge, where lightbreast-works of rails were thrown up. After reaching it, darkness soon closedin and all sounds of battle ceased.

During the night other corps of thearmy arrived and were posted in readiness to open thestruggle. The First Corps had lost its commander, General Reynolds, killedearly in the fight, and heavily in prisoners. The next day the regiment wasmoved to a position in support of a portion of the Eleventh Corps. It remainedin reserve until evening, when a portion of it was placed on picket. On theafternoon of the third day, during the heavy artillery fire from the enemy, itwas led across the cemetery under that terrible cannonade, by CaptainWhiteside, Major Foust having been wounded on the first day, to a position onthe right centre, where it was immediately put to throwing up breast-works. Itwas detailed for picket the next morning, and occupied an advanced positionuntil the morning of the 5th, when it was found that the enemy had withdrawn.The regiment lost seven killed, thirty wounded, and about forty prisoners,among whom were Captains Mass and Schell, andLieutenants Grant, Boone and Beath.

On the 6th the regiment joined inthe pursuit, passing through Emmittsburg and Middletown, crossing South Mountain,and reaching Sheperdstown on the 12th, wherefortifications were thrown up. On the 14th it advanced to Williamsport, where it was found that theenemy had escaped across the river. Marching down the LoudonValley, and passing through White Plains, Warrenton,and Bristoe Station, it arrived at Rappahannock Station on the 31st of July. Itnow had but two hundred men fit for duty.

On the 16th of September itadvanced to Culpepper, thence to Stevensburg andMitchell's Station, and established a picket line at Raccoon Ford, on theRapidan. On the 12th of October the whole army commenced falling back rapidly,the regiment crossing the Rappahannock atKelly's Ford, and marching to Centreville. It advanced to Thoroughfare Gap onthe 19th, and returning moved along the Orangeand Alexandria Railroad, to Bristoe Station, where it was engaged for several daysin re-building the railroad.

Mine Run Campaign

At the commencementof the Mine Run campaign, on the 23d of November, the regiment crossed theRapidan at Culpepper Mine Ford, and after long and tedious marches reached MineRun on the 27th. Here it was ordered to join in charging the enemy's works, andthe men were about unslinging knapsacks in readinessto move, when the order was re-called, and the regiment sent on picket. Whileout upon the line, exposed to intense cold, on the night of December 1st, thewhole army was withdrawn. It was called in near daylight, and marched rapidly,overtaking the brigade at the river bank. It was ordered into winter-quartersat the town of Culpepper.

During the winter a largeproportion of the regiment re-enlisted and left the front on a thirty daysfurlough. Upon its arrival in Philadelphia,it met a warm reception. At the expiration of the furlough, with a number ofnew recruits, it returned to the front, arriving at Culpepper on the 7th ofApril.

1864 The WildernessCampaign

Remaining in campuntil May 3d, the regiment under command of Captain Rhoads, received orders toreport at midnight to the Corps Quartermaster, to guard the wagon-trains on themarch to the Wilderness, and remained on this duty until the morning of the6th. It then re-joined the brigade and was posted on the Plank Road near Todd'sTavern, until the evening of the 7th, when it joined in the movement to theleft, marching all night, and on the morning of the 8th, suddenly confrontedthe enemy near Spottsylvania Court House.

Charging upon him, he was soonrouted, and the pursuit was continued about two miles, where he was found wellposted and fortified. The order to charge was given, and the command endeavoredto carry his entrenchments, but met with a murderous fire in front, and anenfilading fire from the left. After a half hour's fruitless struggle, findingit impossible to withstand the destructive fire, it fell back a short distanceand threw up a line of works. General Robinson, commanding the division, wasseverely wounded. The loss was ten killed and thirty wounded, LieutenantsNichols and Donnelly being of the latter.

On the 10th the division advancedthrough a wood, again charged and was again repulsed, Lieutenant Bemesderfer being wounded. Remaining behind breast-worksuntil the 12th, the regiment participated in the last charge at Spottsylvania,but was repulsed with considerable loss.

North Anna River and Cold Harbor

On the 23d, theregiment crossed the North Anna, and had just halted, when the enemy suddenlyopened upon the brigade with artillery, at the same time sending forward hisinfantry. A severe engagement, which lasted for an hour, ensued. After beingslightly engaged on the 26th, at Bethesda Church, the regiment arrived on the 6thof June at Cold Harbor, where it remained in reserve, and on the 12th, at WhiteOak Swamp, where a line of works was thrown up and the brigade placed inposition to prevent the enemy from flanking the army, now on the march towardsthe James River. The enemy immediately opened with artillery upon the line, andCaptain George B. Rhoads, commanding the regiment, a young, brave, and valuableofficer, was killed. Skirmishing continued during the day, and on the 13th thecommand withdrew, and marched towards the James, crossing on the 16th, andhalting in front of Petersburg.

On the night of the 17th, it pushedforward under a heavy artillery fire in support of a portion of the corps whichhad been actively engaged. On the morning of the 18th, the regiment advancedslowly, crossing the Norfolkand Petersburg Railroad, and driving the enemy's skirmishers into their mainline of works. About five P. M., the whole corps charged upon hisentrenchments. The Eighty-eighth was in advance and after getting within sixtyyards of his first line, was compelled to lie fiatupon the ground, a terrific fire of artillery being centered upon that portionof the line. Night coming on, slight earth-works were thrown up with the aid ofbayonets, the regiment being so far in advance of the rest of the division thatit could not be withdrawn or re-inforced. The colorswere sent to the rear, Sergeant Ewing, of Company B, who had originallyenlisted as a drummer boy, crawling back with them.

About midnight small spades weresent out to the command, the bearers being compelled to crawl along the ground,the enemy's sharp-shooters having complete control of the position. Bydaylight, sufficient entrenchments had been thrown up to afford someprotection, and in the afternoon the regiment was relieved. Arriving at therailroad, it was ordered to the left of the brigade, and compelled to marchover an exposed piece of ground, upon which his sharp shooters were directingtheir fire. The loss here was about thirty killed and wounded, Lieutenant AtwoodG. Sinn being among the killed. Moving to the left it went into position at theJerusalem Plank Road,and was engaged in building forts and entrenchments.

On the 30th of July it moved to theextreme left of the entire line, where the regiment was engaged on picket dutyuntil the 18th, when it marched to the Weldon Railroad, meeting with but slightresistance. Assisting for a few hours in destroying the railroad, the commandwas advanced along the road towards Petersburgand filed into a dense wood where fortifications were thrown up. The enemy sooncommenced a sharp skirmish fire at various portions of the line, as if to testits strength, when suddenly he charged upon the right of the division, breakingthrough, taking many prisoners, and gaining the rear of the brigade. Orderswere given to jump to the other side of the works and open fire. The wood wascomposed of dense underbrush, and the enemy became scattered. Taking advantage of his confusion, the brigade charged through,routing him, taking some prisoners, and reaching an open space in the rearunder cover of the Union batteries. Here it re-formed, and whilereturning to its first position, Captain Jacob Houder,commanding the regiment, was instantly killed.

Early on the following morning it marchedto the left to support the First Division, which had been attacked, and theenemy was repulsed with great slaughter. A few days later the regiment wasactively engaged in building fortifications, among which was Fort Dushane,and on its completion, the Eighty-eighth was ordered to garrison it. On the11th of November two hundred conscripts were received, making about threehundred and fifty officers and men for duty.

On the 7th of December the regimentjoined in the movement on the Jerusalem Plank Road, extending to the South Side Railroad.On the 5th of February, 1865, it moved towards Hatcher's Run, and on the 6th,after a severe fight of about two hours near Dabney'sMill, was repulsed. The next day it encountered the enemy at Hatcher's Run andsuffered severe loss, Lieutenants Sylvester H. Martin and Edward L. Gilliganbeing among the severely wounded.

The regiment went into camp nearHatcher's Run, and remained until the 29th of March, when it joined in activeoperations, being hotly engaged and losing Lieutenant Daniel J. Lehman killed,and Lieutenant M'Callicher wounded. On the 1st ofApril it was again engaged, losing Captain Thomas J. Koch killed. With theFifth Corps it participated in the marching and fighting which ensued, untilthe 9th, when Lee surrendered and it commenced the homeward march. Passingthrough Petersburg, Manchester,and Richmond, it proceeded to Washington, where, on the 30th of June, 1865it was mustered out of service.

Source:   Bates, Samuel P. History ofthe Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861-65, Harrisburg, 1868-1871.



Organized at Philadelphia September, 1861.
Left Statefor Washington, D.C., October 1. At Kendall Green,Washington, D.C., till October 12. Provost duty at Alexandria till April 17,1862. (Cos. "A," "C," "D," "E"and "I" garrison forts on Marylandside of the Potomac River February 18 to April17.) At Cloud's Mills, Va.,April 17-23. Guard Orange & AlexandriaRailroad between Bull Run and FairfaxC. H. till May 7. Attached to 1st Brigade, Ord's 2ndDivision, Dept. of the Rappahannock, to June,1862. 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 3rd Corps, Army of Virginia, to September, 1862. 2nd Brigade,2nd Division, 1st Army Corps, Army Potomac, toMarch, 1863. 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, 1st Army Corps, to May, 1863. 2ndBrigade, 2nd Division, 1st Army Corps, to March, 1864. 2nd Brigade, 2ndDivision, 5th Army Corps, to June, 1864. 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 5th ArmyCorps, to March, 1865. 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 5th Army Corps, to June,1865.


Duty near Fredericksburg, Va.,till May 25.
Expedition to Front Royal to intercept Jackson May 25-June 18.
Duty at Manassas,Warrenton and Culpeper till August.
Battle of Cedar MountainAugust 9.
Pope's Campaign in Northern Virginia August16-September 2.
Fords of the Rappahannock August 21-23.
Thoroughfare Gap August 28.
Battle of Bull RunAugust 30.
Chantilly September 1.

MarylandCampaign September 6-24.
Battles of South MountainSeptember 14; Antietam September 16-17.
Duty near Sharpsburg, Md., till October 30.
Movement to Falmouth, Va., October 30-November 19.
Battle of FredericksburgDecember 12-15.
Burnside's 2nd Campaign, "Mud March," January 20-24, 1863.
At Falmouth andBelle Plains till April 27.
Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6.
Operations at Pollock's Mill Creek April 29-May 2.
Fitzhugh's Crossing April 29-30.
Chancellorsville May 2-5.
Gettysburg (Pa.) Campaign June 11-July 24.
Battle of GettysburgJuly 1-3.
Pursuit of Lee July 5-24.
Duty on line of the Rappahannocktill October.
Bristoe Campaign October 9-22.
Advance to line of the Rappahannock November7-8.
Mine Run Campaign November 26-December 2.
Demonstration on the Rapidan February 6-7, 1864.
Regiment reenlisted February 6, 1864, and on furlough till April 7.
Rapidan Campaign May 4-June 12.
Battles of the Wilderness May 5-7; Laurel Hill May 8;Spottsylvania May 8-12;
Spottsylvania C. H. May 12-21.

Assault on the Salient May 12.
North Anna RiverMay 23-26.
Jericho FordMay 25.
On line of the Pamunkey May 26-28.
Totopotomoy May 28-31.
Cold Harbor June 1-12.
Bethesda Church June 1-3.
White Oak SwampJune 13.
Before PetersburgJune 16-18.
Siege of PetersburgJune 16, 1864, to April 2, 1865.
Mine Explosion, Petersburg,July 30, 1864 (Reserve).
Weldon Railroad August 18-21.
Hatcher's Run October 27-28.
Warren'sExpedition to Weldon Railroad December 7-12.
Dabney's Mills, Hatcher's Run, February 5-7, 1865.
AppomattoxCampaign March 28-April 9.
Lewis Farm near Gravelly Run March 29.
White Oak RoadMarch 30-31.
Five Forks April 1.
Pursuit of Lee April 2-9.
Appomattox C. H. April 9.
Surrender of Lee and his army.
Moved to Washington, D.C., May 1-12.
Grand Review May 23.
Mustered out June 30, 1865.


Regiment lost during service:

8Officers and 101 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 72 Enlisted menby disease.

Total 181.

Source:  Dyer,Frederick H. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion Compiled and Arrangedfrom Official Records of the Federal and Confederate Armies, Reports of heAdjutant Generals of the Several States, the Army Registers, and Other ReliableDocuments and Sources.DesMoines, Iowa: The Dyer Publishing Company, 1908


Direct questions or comments to pacivilwar@pa-roots.net

  Alice J. Gayley,all rights reserved

Web Space provided by