The Sixty-second Regiment, was recruited under authority granted to ColonelSamuel W. Black, by the Secretary of War, Hon. Simon Cameron. This order wasissued on the 4th of July, 1861, and in less than a month its ranks were full. CompaniesA, B, F, G, H, K, and L, were recruited in Allegheny county, C, and E inClarion, I in Jefferson, and M in Blair. Original authority was given forraising ten companies, which was afterwards extended to twelve, and it wasunderstood by the officers who were empowered to recruit them, that they wouldbe mustered and commissioned by the National authority. But the Governors ofStates claimed the right to commission all officers of troops raised in theirrespective Commonwealths. Thereupon a controversy arose which lasted until latein the fall of 1861. During the pendency of this question, the regiment wasdesignated the Thirty-third Independent Regiment. Finally, on the 19th ofNovember, an order was issued from the War Department, placing all independentregiments on the same footing as other State troops, and immediately thereafterthe officers of this regiment were commissioned by the Governor ofPennsylvania, the commissions bearing date of July 4th. The field officers wereas follows: Samuel W. Black, of Pittsburg, formerly Lieutenant Colonel of theSecond Pennsylvania Regiment in the Mexican War, Colonel; T. Fred'k Lehman, ofPittsburg, Lieutenant Colonel; J. Bowman Sweitzer, of Pittsburg, Major.Subsequently Lieutenant Colonel Lehman was promoted to Colonel of the OneHundred and Third Regiment, and Major Sweitzer succeeded him, Captain J. W.Patterson being appointed Major. In the meantime, the Governor had givenauthority to numerous parties for recruiting regiments, for which numbers hadbeen assumed without regard to the independent regiments. Hence, when it cameto be adopted as a State organization, it was designated the Sixty-second.
Onthe 24th of July, the regiment with full ranks, completely officered andorganized, moved from Pittsburg to Camp Cameron, in the neighborhood ofHarrisburg, whence, after a few weeks' experience of camp life, it proceeded toBaltimore, and thence to Washington, encamping at Camp Rapp, on Kendall Green,in the northern suburbs of the city. Here the regiment received a completeoutfit of clothing, arms, and equipments, six companies having the improvedSpringfield rifles, and the remaining ones, smooth bore muskets. On the 11th ofSeptember, the regiment crossed the Potomac and went into camp near Fort Corcoran,where it was assigned to the Second Brigade (Division commanded by General Porter. Drill was immediately commenced, butwas little prosecuted in consequence of the numerous details required forfatigue duty, the men being almost constantly employed in constructing roads,throwing up intrenchments, and in cutting away the pine forests beyondArlington Heights. On the 26th, the lines of the army were advanced andreformed, the enemy, who had occupied Munson's Hill, falling back.)
Organization of Second Brigade:Brigadier General George WV. Morrell
Division commanded by General Fitz John Porter
Fourteenth Regiment New York Volunteers, Colonel James M'Quade
Fourth Regiment Michigan Volunteers, Colonel Woodbury
Ninth Regiment Massachusetts Volunteers, Colonel Thomas Carr
Sixty-second Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, Colonel Samuel WV. Black.
The camp of the Sixty-second, in the new line, fell near Fall's Church, onthe Alexandria, Loudon and Hampshire Railroad. A few weeks later it moved to Minor'sHill, where it went into winter quarters in camp Bettie Black, named for theColonel's youngest daughter, and where drill and discipline were regularly andrigidly enforced. The routine here established required squad drill from six tonine A. M., company drill from ten to twelve A. M., and battalion drill fromone to five P. M. daily. The entire division was drilled at intervals, andoccasionally was engaged in sham battles. A school for officers was establishedwhich was held regularly at evening. The men were thoroughly drilled in bayonetexercises, which, however, proved of little practical utility, farther thanimparting skill in handling the musket as in practice the troops almostinvariably charged with the bayonet in the scabbard. The regiment had receiveda flag before leaving Pittsburg in July, a present from ladies of that city.The presentation of the State colors was made in December, at Hall's Hill,Colonel Black responding in behalf of the regiment in his usual felicitousmanner.
Early in the winter, a malignant form of camp fever prevailed among the troops, from the effects of which several died. Strict sanitary regulationswere adopted by Surgeon Kerr, and its ravages were soon stayed. The winter was spent in constant duty, the men being drilled and disciplined, reviewed andinspected, until heartily sick of camp life, and anxious for the real business of war. On the 10th of March, in common with the army, it moved upon theenemy's works at Manassas to find them abandoned. At Fairfax Court House, the regiment was halted, where it remained until the 15th, when it marched toAlexandria it having been determined to transfer the army to the Peninsula. Embarking upon transports, it moved to Fortress Monroe, and upon its arrival went into camp near the ruins of the little village of Hampton, which had beendestroyed by order of General Magruder. Soon after its arrival it joined in a reconnaissance in the direction of Yorktown. At Big Bethel the movementterminated, and the troops returned again to camp. On the 3d of April the army moved upon Yorktown, the regiment marching up near the enemy's works, the menbeholding for the first time the rebel grey. In the skirmishing which ensued, it moved forward under fire and took position in line of battle; but the enemywere soon obliged to evacuate, the Sixty-second losing in the operation one killed and three wounded. During the protracted preparations for carrying thehostile works, the men were kept constantly employed upon the trenches. In the progress of the siege, several died from disease.� Colonel Black was first apprised of the evacuation, by three deserters who came in with a flag of truce, the regiment happening to be onpicket near the river on the night in which it was made.
General Porter's division remained in the vicinity of Yorktown until the 8th of May, when it embarked upon transports and moved up the York River to a, point opposite West Point,where it landed and went into camp. While here, the Fifth Provisional Corps was formed, to the command of which General Porter was assigned, General Morrellassuming command of Porter's Division, and Brigadier General Charles Griffin, of the Second Brigade. The army moved forward on either side of theChickahominy, Porter's Corps remaining upon the left bank. On the 26th, it arrived at Gaines' Mill, and on the following day, in obedience to the ordersof the Commander-in-Chief, General Porter proceeded to Hanover Court House, for the purpose of destroying the Richmond and Fredericksburg Railroad and forminga junction with M'Dowell's Corps, supposed to be advancing upon the line of that road. The First Brigade, General Martindale, had the advance and firstencountered the enemy; the Second Brigade moving at double quick to its support, and marching some distance to the music of Griffin's guns, which werebeing rapidly served. Arriving on the field, the brigade was ordered into position on Martindale's right, and being quickly deployed in line of battle,the order to charge was given, and dashing forward soon engaged the enemy, putting him to flight, capturing all his camp and garrison equipage with manyprisoners.'" In the course of the afternoon's operations," says Colonel Black in his official report, "we captured eighty-one prisoners,including seven officers. From a, great many arms taken, about seventy-five were brought into camp. By the annexed statement it will be seen that our lossis only six men wounded, none killed, and not one missing. I should do the brave and faithful men, I have the honor to command, injustice, if I refrainedfrom expressing, in strong terms, my admiration of their conduct from first to last. In common with the other regiments of your brigade, they went into actionwith their bodies broken by fatigue, and their physical strength wasted by the hard toils of the day. But their spirits failed not, and they went in and cameout with whatever credit is due to dangers bravely met, and the noblest duty well performed."�
The division returned at night to its camp near Gaines' Mill, M'Dowell's Corps having been prevented from joining the Army of the Potomac by thedemonstrations of the enemy in the Shenandoah Valley. The regiment was engaged in picket duty and in constructing bridges across the Chickahominy and roadsleading thereto, until the 26th of June, when the enemy, advancing by Mechanicsville, encountered the Pennsylvania Reserve Corps at Beaver Dam Creek.The Second Brigade was ordered to move hastily to its support. A severe battle ensued, in which the Reserves stubbornly contested the ground, and successfullyheld it. The Sixty-second arrived upon the field in the evening and for an hour was under fire, but not actively engaged. Withdrawing his troops on thefollowing morning, Porter retired to Gaines' Mill, where, upon an elevation, east and south of the mill, he disposed his forces and awaited the advance ofthe enemy. Morrell's Division held the extreme left of the line, its left resting on the slope extending to the low grounds skirting the Chickahominy,Griffin's Brigade forming the right of the division, and connecting with the left of Sykes. Division. Upon the opening of the battle on the Union left bythe advance of Longstreet's Corps, the Sixty-second, with the Ninth Massachusetts, was ordered forward in the face of a terrific fire of infantry,and, charging across a ravine in front, gained the woods upon the opposite side, driving back the enemy, and inflicting fearful slaughter. In this charge,and before reaching the woods, the gallant Colonel Black, while advancing with his men, was stricken down and instantly killed. Without heeding the loss oftheir leader, the men pressed forward under command of Lieutenant Colonel Sweitzer, until they had driven the rebels back, and attained a positionconsiderably in advance of the main line of battle. This being discovered by the enemy, heat once launched his forces upon their flank, and by a grievousenfilading fire forced them to withdraw. Re-forming in the open field on the right of the woods, the men were scarcely in position, the battle still ragingfuriously, when General Seymour rode up to Lieutenant Colonel Sweitzer and hurriedly inquired if the regiment had ammunition. He was informed that it hadbeen heavily engaged during the entire afternoon, and that the ammunition was completely exhausted. He at once directed the cartridge boxes to be filled, andordered Lieutenant Colonel Sweitzer to proceed with the regiment to the extreme left of the line, to check the fiery onset of the enemy in that direction.Marching at double quick over swampy ground, towards the Chickahominy, to the point indicated, the regiment with ranks sadly thinned was formed, and boldlycharged up the hill, and into the wood, receiving, as it entered it, a heavy volley of musketry. The fire was at once returned, and the battle, which wasnow raging along the entire line, became more furious than at any previous stage of the fight. Soon the line upon the right gave way, overborne by vastlysuperior numbers, and the enemy charging upon a battery on the flank of the regiment, forced it to retire, and with the entire Union line was carried backtowards the river. In this last struggle, Lieutenant Colonel Sweitzer, who was determined to contest the ground to the last, was captured, and sent toRichmond where he was incarcerated in Libby Prison. The army now fell back, fighting its way towards the James, the Sixty second arriving at Malvern Hillon the night of the 30th of June. In the fierce battle of the following day, the regiment, without field officers, was led by Captain James C. Hull ofcompany A, and early in the engagement was sent to the support of Battery D, of the Fifth United States Artillery. This battery became a special target for therebel guns massed in its front, and when they failed to silence it, his infantry charged upon it with determined bravery, but were signally repulsed.In this fiery ordeal the regiment suffered severely. Lieutenant John D. Elder was among the killed. In the confusion incident to charging andcounter-charging, the color-bearer, Sergeant Smith, was cut off with others from the regiment, and was near being captured; but with remarkable presence ofmind, he secreted the flag upon his person and hid himself in a stable near by. Favored by the charge of a Union Brigade, he made his escape and brought offthe flag in safety. For his gallantry on this occasion, he was commissioned a lieutenant.
On the following day the army fell back to Harrison's Landing, where the regiment went into camp. On the 31st of July in the engagement of Harrison�s Bar, it was again exposed, but suffered little. The entire loss inthe series of engagements upon the Peninsula was two hundred and ninety-eight in killed, wounded, and missing. Lieutenant Colonel Sweitzer, upon his releasefrom prison, re-joined his command and was promoted to Colonel; Captain Hull was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel, Major Patterson having resigned, andWilliam G. Lowry was appointed Major.
In leaving the Peninsula Porter's Corps was the first to march, breaking camp on the 14th of August. Crossing theChickahominy near its mouth, it proceeded by Williamsburg, and Yorktown, and reached Newport News on the18th, a march of sixty miles in three days.Immediately embarking, it proceeded by transports to Acquia Creek, and thence by rail to Fredericksburg. After its arrival, the regiment was ordered to duty inguarding the fords of the Rappahannock. As soon as it was discovered that the rebel army was crossing above, it was withdrawn, and re-joined the division,which had already effected a junction with Pope's Army. In the second battle of Bull Run, the Sixty-second was slightly engaged on the 27th, at Gainesville,losing two wounded; but during the remaining days of that desperate and unfortunate struggle, it remained in reserve with the rest of Porter's Corps.From Centreville, to which the army had retired, the line of march for Maryland was taken up, and on the 4th of September the regiment encamped on the oldground at Minor's Hill, in camp Bettie Black, where it had passed the winter of 1861. Each company went into its old position, but so reduced by the hardservice of the year, that it could muster but little more than a corporal's guard, in strange contrast to the full ranks with which it started for thefield.
In the battle of Antietam, which soon followed, Porter's Corps was posted in the centre, and the Second Brigade supported a battery of twentypieces, which, being advantageously posted, played an important part in the fight, doing fearful execution. On the 30th, the enemy having retired acrossthe Potomac, the Sixty-second was ordered on a reconnaissance to the Virginia shore, for the purpose of developing the enemy's strength. Crossing at an earlyhour, at Blackford's Ford, the regiment was formed and companies L and M were deployed as skirmishers. No enemy was visible, and to all appearances he hadwithdrawn his forces. A few stragglers were captured, and a number of muskets were gathered, when the regiment re-crossed the river, and the entire corps wasput in motion to follow up the retreating army; but scarcely had the One Hundred and Eighteenth Pennsylvania, which formed the head of the column,reached the opposite shore, when the enemy debouched in heavy columns from a thick wood, and made an impetuous assault upon this isolated force, killing andcapturing many, and driving the rest in confusion back to the river. General Morrell had taken the precaution to plant a battery to cover the crossing,which was immediately opened, and soon succeeded in checking and driving the assaulting party. After this affair the army remained in comparative quiet,resting upon the banks of the Potomac, until the close of October.
In the re-organization of the army under General Burnside, the Centre Grand Division which embraced the Third and Fifth Corps was assigned to the command of General Hooker. Whereupon General Butterfield assumed command of the Fifth Corps,General Griffin of the First Division, and Colonel Sweitzer of the Second Brigade, leaving the Sixty-second in command of Lieutenant Colonel Hull. Thebattle of Fredericksburg was opened upon the right by a struggle for laying of the pontoon bridges, and as the buildings upon the opposite bank furnishedprotection to sharp-shooters, was followed by a heavy cannonade of the town. The bridges having been successfully laid, the troops began to move over and toengage the enemy. The Second Brigade crossed at noon of Saturday, December 13th; but it had scarcely passed the bridge when an order was received fromGeneral Griffin for it to return, and the counter-move had been nearly executed, when it was again ordered to advance, the column being kept upon thebridge marching and counter-marching for a considerable time, all the while exposed to a fierce cannonade from the enemy's guns upon the heights. Passingup through the town, over streets raked by artillery, the column on reaching the suburbs, turned to the right, and moving out past the brick kiln, andcrossing the railroad track, was moving along the bank of a canal, when suddenly the line upon the right seemed to have given way, and the crowd ofstragglers rushing to the rear, threw the brigade into temporary confusion. Order was quickly restored, and the canal serving as a barrier, the stampedewas checked. Soon afterwards an order was received for the brigade to advance, when, throwing aside knapsacks and overcoats, it moved forward in excellentorder, under a heavy fire, until it had reached a point within thirty or forty yards of the stone wall in front of Marye's Heights, behind which the enemy'sinfantry was concealed. To advance farther in face of the torrent of missiles which here swept their ranks, was impossible, and the men dropped upon theground, and for a day and two nights they held this advanced position, where to raise a head in daylight was almost certain death. It was while advancing overthe ground to t his perilous position, that General Burnside, while viewing the column by the aid of his field glass, inquired, "What troops arethose?" "Second Brigade, General Griffin's Division," replied General Sturgis, who stood by his side.�"No troops ever behaved better in the world," exclaimed General Burnside. Lying flat upon the ground in mud and water, with the dyingand the dead thickly strewn about them, and no possibility of caring for or removing them, the men clung to the ground they had so nobly won, until Sundaynight, when, under cover of darkness, they were relieved and returned to the town. On Monday evening the regiment was again sent to the front to picket the lineand throw up sham intrenchments, while the army was retiring across the river. When nearly over, those on picket quietly and hastily followed, and on reachingthe shore the regiment returned to its old camping ground. The loss was two officers and five men killed, and seven officers and fifty-six men wounded.Lieutenant Stephen C. Potts, and Adjutant James E. Cunningham were among the killed. The latter was struck by a cannon ball and died without a struggle.Colonel Sweitzer was wounded and his horse killed.
Shortly after the battle, a cavalry raid to the west and south of Richmond, under General Averell, wasordered, and the First Division of the Fifth Corps was detailed to accompany the force to the crossing of the Rappahannock, and support it in making thepassage. The regiment moved on the afternoon of the 29thof December, and at Hartwood Church, the First and Third brigades diverged to the river, while theSecond was directed to proceed to Unionville, fifteen miles further up, and await orders. Here General Averell was met, and an order received countermanding the contemplated raid, when the brigade retraced its steps,arriving in camp that evening, having marched during the day under a heavy snow storm, thirty-three miles. In January, 1863, the regiment moved on Burnside'ssecond campaign, which was arrested by the mud, and was for several days engaged in constructing roads for the return of the artillery. Active operations were resumed under General Hooker on the 27th of April, when the campaign resulting in the battle of Chancellorsville opened. The Fifth Corps,now under command of General Meade, preceded by the Eleventh and Twelfth, moved up the river, crossed the Rappahannock at Kelly's Ford, the Rapidan at Ely'sFord, and proceeded with but little opposition to the neighborhood of the Chancellor House, where the line of battle was established, the Fifth occupyingthe left, stretching out towards the liver. On the afternoon of the 30th the regiment was ordered with the brigade to the support of General Griffin, whohad been sent out with the First Brigade of his division to reconnoitre in the direction of Fredericksburg; but without being engaged. On the following day,May 1st, the division was again ordered to the left, but the time was principally spent in marching and counter-marching with seeming much uncertainty ofpurpose. Towards evening, in the devious movements of the command, the Second Brigade became separated from the rest of the division. The enemy, who was nowin full force in front, seeing this, threw a body of troops upon the road on which it was advancing, and at the same time opened upon its rear with artillery. Its situation was now critical. No way of escape seemed possible. Colonel M'Quade who was in command, and who was much reduced by recent sickness, proposed to surrender. But this Colonel Sweitzer, the next in rank,stubbornly opposed, and the command was passed to him. Immediately throwing out companies L and M of the Sixty-second as skirmishers to engage the attention ofthe enemy, he commenced the perilous task of withdrawing the brigade. By skillful maneuvering and fighting, which occupied nearly the entire night, hefinally succeeded in eluding the vigilance of the enemy, and brought his command in safely. During the following day the regiment was not engaged.
On Sunday morning, May 3d, the Eleventh Corps having been broken the brigade was ordered to the right on the road leading to Ely's Ford, north of Chancellorsville, where the artillery was concentrated. A line of breast-workswas thrown up west of the road, behind which the guns were posted, and immediately in rear of them was the infantry. The Sixty-second was detailed to advance as skirmishers into the woods in front of the works, drive back theenemy, and establish a new and more advanced line. His skirmishers were driven and some prisoners taken; but at this juncture, and before a lodgment could bemade, the rebels fired the woods, and the wind blowing in the direction of the Union lines, it was compelled to retire. On the following day, the brigade wasordered to advance in front of the lines, reconnoitre the enemy's position, and without bringing on a general engagement, ascertain if he was still inforce.Forming in two lines, the Sixty-second Pennsylvania and Thirty-second Massachusetts, under Colonel Sweitzer in the first, with the Fourth Michigan asskirmishers, it advanced pushing the enemy's skirmishers before it, until it came upon his intrenched line, when he opened upon its front and left flank amurderous fire of grape and canister. The object of the reconnoissance being accomplished, the command was withdrawn. In this movement the regiment lostfourteen wounded, several mortally, five members of Company D being wounded by the explosion of a single shrapnel. At three o'clock on the morning of the 6th,the Fifth Corps retired from the front, and re-crossed the river, the First Division being assigned as rear guard to the column. As the Corps moved, theenemy's cavalry followed and began to be troublesome. The Sixty-second was accordingly sent back to check him and hence was the last regiment to cross theriver.
Remaining in camp in the vicinity of Fredericksburg until the 1st of June, it moved up to Kelly's Ford, and was there employed in picket duty, therebel army manifesting much activity. About the middle of the month, it having been ascertained that Lee had started northward, the Union army commenced acorresponding movement. At Middleburg the Sixty-second was called to support the cavalry, and in the engagement which ensued the enemy was driven. Atsundown of July 1st the Fifth Corps arrived at Hanover Junction. General Meade had previously been assigned to the chief command, and General Sykes to that ofthe corps. Soon after its arrival, orders were received to immediately resume the march, and proceed with all possible dispatch to Gettysburg, where a battlehad already opened, and where it was determined to concentrate for a decisive fight. Though in no condition for a forced march, being worn out with thefatigues of the day, the troops cheerfully fell into line and before daylight on the morning of the 2d arrived upon the field. Moving up the Baltimore Pikeuntil it crossed Rock Creek, the division was posted to the left of the road, and in rear of Cemetery Hill, where it remained until late in the afternoon, inreadiness to go into action upon any part of the field where needed.
In the meantime the battle had been for some time raging fiercely on the left, and as the Third Corps was hard pushed and in peril, the Fifth was ordered to its support. The division moved off, left in front, the Second Brigade taking position in a strip of woods on the right of the wheat field, and in front ofLittle Round Top, with the First Brigade on its right, the Sixty-second holding the left of the line. The position occupied by the right of the line was rockyand wooded, the left extending into a ravine. Soon the enemy was discovered advancing through this ravine. Seeing that it was likely to be outflanked, theseveral regiments were wheeled to the left and rear, giving three lines facing in the same direction and supporting each other. The fighting became very warm,but as the brigade was favorably posted it easily held its ground, and kept the enemy at bay. But the First Brigade being in a less advantageous position, had been driven back, leaving the Second in a critical situation.
At this juncture General Barnes, who commanded the division, ordered Colonel Sweitzer to withdraw his brigade through the woods as best he could. This the troops werereluctant to obey, not being apprised of the yielding of the right of the line, and moved maintaining the contest as they went. The brigade was again formedalong the road in rear of the wheat-field, at right angles to its former position. An hour later it again advanced across the wheat-field to the support ofGeneral Caldwell, hotly engaged in the wood beyond; but before reaching the stone wall upon the farther edge of the field, the lines posted beyond gaveway, the enemy following in large numbers and charging with great impetuosity. Seeing that they were gaining upon his flank and rear, Colonel Sweitzer changedfront to the right and a hand to hand struggle ensued. A staff officer was dispatched to communicate with General Barnes; but the General had disappeared,the enemy was in full force along the road in the immediate rear of the brigade, and no possible way of escape seemed open. While returning the officerhad his horse shot under him. The woods which surrounded the wheat-field seemed to be swarming with the enemy, every avenue of escape cut off, and the menterribly exposed in this open field. Keeping a bold front, and pouring in volley after volley as they went, the lines moved diagonally across the field,crossed the stone fence in front of Little Round Top and had reached the low ground which skirts the hill, when the Pennsylvania Reserves came charging downupon the flank of the enemy, hurling him back in confusion, and rescuing them from further peril. The brigade entered the engagement nine hundred strong, andescaped with barely half that number. The loss in the Sixty-second was very heavy. Colonel Sweitzer was wounded and had a horse killed under him. MajorLowry, Captains Edwin H. Little and James Brown, and Lieutenants Scott C. M'Dowell, Josiah P. Mouck and Patrick Morris were among the killed. Many of themen were bayonetted, Colonel Jeffords of the Fourth Michigan dying on the following morning of a bayonet wound. By order of General Sykes the divisionwas posted during the night along the stone wall at the foot of the hill, to the right of Little Round Top, where it remained until the close of the battle.As it marched away from Gettysburg the regiment could muster but about ninety men.
Returning to Virginia, the Sixty-second participated in the "campaign of maneuvers' which followed, and was engaged at Rappahannock Station, at Locust Grove Church, and finally at Mine Run. It went into winter quarters atLicking Run, and was employed in guarding a portion of the Orange and Alexandria Railroad from the incursions of Moseby.
On the 1st of May, 1864, with ranks recruited, the regiment broke camp and crossed the Rappahannock halting near Brandy Station, where the main portion of the army had passed thewinter. On the 3d a general movement was commenced, the Fifth Corps, now under command of General Warren, in advance. Crossing the Rapidan at Germania Ford,the regiment encamped on the evening of the following day near the old Wilderness tavern. On the morning of the 5th it was employed in throwing upbreast-works, the enemy in heavy force in its immediate front. At ten o'clock the action opened and continued until dark. The Sixty-second was on the extremeright of the division, and with it advanced a half mile beyond the breast-works, where it became hotly engaged. Not being supported upon the left, the enemy wasenabled to outflank it, and open an enfilading fire, causing it to yield; but the advantage was not followed up and it retired in good order. On the morningof the 6th,the battle was renewed and continued without decided advantage. On the morning of the 7th the lines were advanced considerably, but withoutdriving the enemy from his intrenched position, and on the following night the regiment moved with the corps to the left, in the direction of SpottsylvaniaCourt House. The column was much impeded by passing trains, and was all night upon the march. At Laurel Hill, Ewell's Corps of the rebel army wasencountered, and a sharp engagement resulted, in which the Sixty-second participated, losing heavily. The ground was closely contested, but was heldand substantial breast-works were thrown up. On the following day the regiment was engaged in skirmishing, and on the 10th a battery was brought into positionon its left, which kept up an uninterrupted fire during the entire day, doing good execution. The enemy's sharp-shooters, secreted in the wood in front,proved very troublesome, and a constant fusilade was kept up. On the 12th a charge was made along the whole line, in which the regiment participated, andsuffered severely. Lieutenant Colonel Hull, in command of the regiment, was mortally wounded, and Lieutenants John E. Myers and William Johnson were amongthe killed.
Captain William P. Maclay, of company C, now assumed command, and on the night of the 13th moved to the left, taking position in front ofSpottsylvania. It was here almost constantly under fire until the 21st, when it was again ordered to move. Taking up the line of march, the Sixty-second inadvance, the corps proceeded to the North Anna, and fording the river, soon found the enemy. The troops were formed as fast as they arrived, and by noonthe entire corps and a part of the Sixth Corps were upon the field and engaged. The battle lasted until sundown. After this, and until the 27th, the hostileforces were maneuvered, but little fighting resulted. Re-crossing the North Anna, and passing the Pamunkey, the enemy was again encountered at TotopotomyCreek, and driven. On the 2d of June the regiment was at the front and engaged, and on the following day in the battle of Bethesda Church performed signalservice losing heavily. In this engagement Lieutenants William Phillips, Samuel M. Adams, and Jefferson Truitt were among the killed.
Crossing the James River on the 16th, the brigade arrived at evening in front of Petersburg. Two dayslater the regiment was hotly engaged near the Norfolk and Petersburg Railroad, the possession of which was stoutly contested. General Griffin, who commandedthe division, and whose faith in artillery was remarkably strong, executed the novel maneuver of advancing a battery in front of the line of skirmishers, andopening with grape and canister. The enemy was soon driven, and the brigade advanced, possessed the road and erected strong works beyond. On the 21st theregiment was again engaged at Jerusalem Plank Road, but suffered little loss. Employed in picket and fatigue duty until the 3d of July, the term of serviceof the original companies having expired, it was ordered to the rear. Companies L and M having still some further time to serve, were transferred to theNinety-first Pennsylvania, and the recruits and re-enlisted men, to the One Hundred and Fifty-fifth. On the following day the regiment started forPittsburg, where, upon its arrival, it was mustered out of service. It entered the campaign on the 4th of May with five hundred and fifty-seven men, and inone month's time lost one officer and twenty-eight men killed, eleven officers and two hundred and twenty-seven men wounded, and one officer and thirty menmissing. Six of the officers were mortally wounded and died soon after. A month later companies L and M were withdrawn from the front, and following theregiment to Pittsburg, were mustered out of service on the 8th of August.Source: Bates, Samuel P. History of the Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861-65, Harrisburg, 1868-1871.
Dyer, Frederick H. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion Compiled and Arranged from Official Records of the Federal and Confederate Armies, Reports of he Adjutant Generals of the Several States, the Army Registers, and Other Reliable Documents and Sources.Des Moines, Iowa: The Dyer Publishing Company, 1908
Organization:Organized at Pittsburg as 33rd Regiment August 31, 1861.
Left State for Washington, D.C., August 31, 1861.
Designation changed to 62nd Pennsylvania Volunteers November 18, 1861.
Attached to Morrell's Brigade, Fitz John Porter's Division, Army Potomac, to March, 1862.
2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 3rd Army Corps, Army Potomac, to May, 1862.
2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 5th Army Corps, to July, 1864.
Service:Camp near Fort Corcoran, Defences of Washington, D.C., till October, 1861,
and near Fall's Church, Va., till March, 1862.
Moved to the Peninsula March 22-24.
Reconnoissance to Big Bethel March 30. Howard's Mills, near Cockletown, April 4.
Warwick Road April 5.
Siege of Yorktown April 5-May 4. Hanover C. H. May 27.
Operations about Hanover C. H. May 27-29.
Seven days before Richmond June 25-July 1.
Battles of Mechanicsville June 26; Gaines Mill June 27; Savage Station June 29;
Turkey Bridge or Malvern Cliff June 30; Malvern Hill July 1.
At Harrison's Landing till August 16.
Movement to Fortress Monroe, thence to Centreville August 16-28.
Battle of Bull Run August 30.
Battle of Antietam, Md., September 16-17.
Shepherdstown Ford September 19.
Blackford's Ford September 19.
Reconnoissance to Smithfield October 16-17.
Battle of Fredericksburg, Va., December 12-15.
Expedition to Richard's and Ellis' Fords, Rappahannock River, December 30-31.
Burnside's second Campaign, "Mud March," January 20-24, 1863.
At Falmouth till April.
Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6.
Battle of Chancellorsville May 1-5.
Middleburg June 19.
Uppervile June 21.
Battle of Gettysburg, Pa., July 1-3.
Pursuit of Lee July 5-24.
Duty on line of the Rappahannock till October.
Bristoe Campaign October 9-22.
Advance to line of the Rappahannock November 7-8.
Rappahannock Station November 7.
Mine Run Campaign November 26-December 2.
Duty at Bealeton Station till May, 1864.
Rapidan Campaign May 4-June 12.
Battles of the Wilderness May 5-7; Laurel Hill May 8; Spottsylvania May 8-12;
Spottsylvania C, H. May 12-21.
Assault on the Salient May 12.
North Anna River May 23-26.
Jericho Ford May 25.
Line of the Pamunkey May 26-28.
Totopotomoy May 28-31.
Cold Harbor June 1-12.
Bethesda Church June 1-3.
Before Petersburg June 16-18.
Siege of Petersburg till July 3.
Left front July 3.
Mustered out July 13, 1864.
Companies "L" and "M" transferred to 91st Pennsylvania.
Mustered out August 15, 1864.
Veterans and Recruits transferred to 155th Pennsylvania.
Losses:Regiment lost during service:
17 Officers and 152 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and
89 Enlisted men by disease.
Direct questions or comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
© Alice J. Gayley, all rights reserved
Web Space provided by