© Alice J. Gayley, all rights reserved
The Third regiment was composed of independent volunteer companies,existing prior to the breaking out of the war, and as such, responded tothe first call of the Governor for troops. Company G arrived in Harrisburg,early on the morning of the 18th of April, 1861, and was the first company toenter Camp Curtin. Company K arrived on the same day, and the two companies alone occupied the camp during the day and night of the 18th. Othercompanies arrived on the 19th and 20th.
The regiment was organized on the20th of April, by the choice of the following officers:
On thesame day the men were mustered into the service of the United States.
- Francis P. Minier, of
- Hollidaysburg, Blair county, Colonel
- John M. Power, of Johnstown, Cambria county, Lieutenant Colonel
- Oliver M. Irvine, of Pittsburg, Major
- James C. Noon, Second Lieutenant of Company F, was appointed Adjutant.
The regiment was ordered from Camp Curtin, on the evening of April 20th,and immediately started by the Northern Central railroad for Baltimore. Arriving at Cockeysville, Maryland, further advance by rail was found to be cutoff, by reason of the destruction of the bridge at that point. Orders were received from General Scott, directing the regiment to remain, and not attempt,from considerations of policy, to pass through Baltimore. Encamping near thevillage, the regiment remained till the night of the 22d of April, when it returned to York, and went into camp. Regimental and company drill was atonce commenced, and was continued daily when the weather would permit.The hospitality of the citizens of York, in voluntarily contributing food, untilthe commissary department was fully organized, proved not only a relief toofficers, but a great source of comfort to the men. Raw recruits hastily transferred from private life, accustomed to a varied and generous diet, to the campwith its simple regimen of uncooked rations, feel the change most sensibly.Added to this, is the difficulty of immediately perfecting a system of supplyfor large bodies of men suddenly thrown together. Hence, these supplementalcontributions proved highly acceptable and timely.
On the 27th of May, the regiment proceeded by rail to Chambersburg, andwent into camp at Camp Chambers, about three miles from the town. It wasassigned to the 2d Brigade,1 of the 2d Division, and continued its regular drill, acquiring marked proficiency.
On the 7th of June, the regiment proceeded by rail to Hagerstown, andthence marched on the same day to Funkstown, in position to operate againstHarperrs Ferry, where the enemy had taken position under General Joseph E.Johnston. Drill and camp duty was little varied during the three succeedingweeks which were passed in this encampment.
On the 1st of July, the command proceeded to Williamsport, and on thefollowing day crossed the Potomac. Advancing with Patterson's column, itarrived at Martinsburgon the 3d, and encamped to the north of the town. Almost the entire supplies of the army were transported by wagon train fromWilliamsport, where the main depot was established. To guard this, and thecommunications leading thereto, the 3d regiment was detached from the Brigade, and ordered back to Williamsport. Remaining on duty in this position till the 26th of July, the term of enlistment having expired, it was ordered to Hagerstown, and from thence moved by rail to Harrisburg, where it arrived on the 27th, and on the 29th was mustered out of service.
1 Organization of 2d Brigade, Brigadier General George C. Wynkoop, 2d Division, Major General William H. Keim. 1st Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, Colonel Samuel Yohe; 2d Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, Colonel Frederick S. Stumbaugh; 3d Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, Colonel Francis P. Minier.
Source: Bates, Samuel P. History of the Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861-1865 , Harrisburg, 1868-1871.
Organization: Organized at Harrisburg April 20, 1861.
(Co. "G" the first Company to enter Camp Curtin on April 18.)
Moved to Cockeysville, Md., April 20; thence to York, Pa., April 22, and duty there till May 27.
At Chambersburg till June 7, and at Funkstown till July 1.
Attached to 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, Patterson's Army.
Service:Occupation of Martinsburg, Va., July 3.
Detached from Brigade and on duty at Williamsport till July 26.
Moved to Harrisburg and mustered out July 29, 1861.
Source: Dyer, Frederick H. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion Compiled and Arranged from Official Records of the Federal and Confederate Armies, Reports of he Adjutant Generals of the Several States, the Army Registers, and Other Reliable Documents and Sources.Des Moines, Iowa: The Dyer Publishing Company, 1908
Direct questions or comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Web Space provided by