211th Regiment
Pennsylvania Volunteers

The companies of the 211th Regiment were recruited as follows:
  • Company A in Crawford county
  • Company B in Jefferson County
  • Company C in M'Kean and Jefferson Counties
  • Company D in Mercer County
  • Company E in Westmoreland County
  • Company F in Erie County
  • County G in Warren County
  • County H in Westmoreland County
  • County I in Westmoreland County
  • County J in Westmoreland County
The companies rendezvoused at Camp Reynolds, near Pittsburg, where, on the 16th of September, 1864, a regimental organization was effected with the following field officers:
  • James H. Trimble, Colonel
  • Levi A. Dodd, Lieutenant Colonel
  • Augustus A. Mechling, Major
Soon after its organization, it moved for the front, and on the 20th, was placed in the intrenchments at Bermuda Hundred, where it was incorporated with a provisional brigade in the Army of the James. It had scarcely reached its position, when it was ordered to mount the parapets, in full view of, and in point blank range of the enemy's guns. The sudden appearance of the long lines of men upon the sand-bags, of which the works were constructed, attracted his attention, and he immediately opened upon them with his batteries. Two men of company F, were instantly killed by a single shell. Theobject of thus exposing the command, was to divert attention from the storming party which was about to move upon Fort Harrison, and which gallantlycarried that work.

The picket line, which the regiment was required to hold,extended from the James River on the right, opposite Dutch Gap, through adense pine wood to an open space, where was the regimental encampment. Thisspace, a fourth of a mile in width, had been cleared of timber, by converting itinto an impenetrable slashing, over which an unobstructed view of the enemywas given. The line after leaving the river was nearly straight until it reachedthis slashing, where it made an abrupt bend, leaving the apex of the angleclose to the enemy's line. At this point, many rebel deserters came in to theUnion lines. So common had this practice become, that it was proving a serious drain upon the rebel strength; so much so, that General Pickett, who was in command, determined to stop it. The most friendly relations had subsisted between the opposing picket lines, the men frequently meeting for social conference and banter. But on the night of the 17th of November, quietly massing a picked body of men, the rebel leader suddenly burst upon the Unionpickets, and before they could rally, or supports could come to their aid, captured fifty-four of their number, seized this projecting angle, and before morning, had built a redoubt, and so strengthened his lines, that General Grant,after a careful survey of the ground, deemed it inexpedient to attempt to retake it. This was the end of the truce on the part of the pickets, hostilities never ceasing afterwards for an instant, and so long as the regiment remainedon that line, the men were obliged to hug the breast-works, or lie close in the bomb-proofs.

On the 27th of November, the Two Hundred and Eleventh, with other Pennsylvania regiments with which it had been brigaded, was relieved by a brigade of colored troops, and was ordered to join the Army of the Potomac, onthe south side of the Appomattox. These regiments were subsequently organized into a division, which became the Third of the Ninth Corps, to the command of which General Hartranft was assigned, the Two Hundred andEleventh, Two Hundred and Fifth, and Two Hundred and Seventh, undercommand of Colonel Mathews, forming the Second Brigade.

During the winter, the regiment was thoroughly drilled, and made occasional expeditions with the troops of other corps, but without becoming engaged, though a considerable amount of fortifying was done in the movement upon Hatcher's Run, and the troops were there held in momentary expectation of bloody work.

Before the opening of the spring campaign, Colonel Trimble resigned, andwas succeeded by Lieutenant Colonel Dodd. The camp of the regiment waslocated midway between Fort Howard and Fort Alexander Hayes, on theArmy Line Railroad, to the extreme left of the division, which was posted inrear of, and acted as a support to the Ninth Corps line. At the moment whenthis line was broken at Fort Steadman, at early dawn, on the morning of the25th of March, 1865, and the fort and a considerable portion of the line was captured, the Two Hundred and Eleventh was resting in its camp, nearly fourmiles away.

The Colonel and Major were absent, and the Lieutenant Colonelwas sick in hospital. The command consequently devolved on Captain WilliamA. Coulter. It was quickly summoned to the scene of disaster, and marchingrapidly, reached division headquarters at half-past six A. M. With little delayit was led by order of General Hartranft, to the high open ground about MeadeStation, just in rear of Fort Steadman, where it was formed and awaitedthe order to charge. The other regiments of the division, which were all nearerthe scene of disaster than this, had been gathered in, and having checked theenemy's advance, were holding him at bay. A strong line had been drawnaround the fatal break, and the best possible disposition of the division forstrength and efficiency, had been made. General Hartranft felt satisfied thatthe enemy could make no further advance, and that by a united assault, hisdivision could re-take the captured works. His plan of attack was most ingenious. He already had five of his regiments posted in the immediate front, advantageously formed for a dash upon the enemy, who was swarming upon thefort, the covered ways, and bomb-proofs.

The Two Hundred and Eleventhwas a mile away, but on high open ground. It was a large regiment, and ifput in motion, drawn out in line, would instantly attract the attention of thefoe, and, as he believed, would draw the fire of his artillery upon it. His otherregiments thus relieved from peril, could rush upon, and overpower him. Heaccordingly sent word to their commanders to hold themselves in readiness tocharge in fifteen minutes, and the signal to start, should be the forward movement of the Two Hundred and Eleventh, which was in full view of them all.

General Hartranft determined to lead this regiment in person, and though heexpected that it would be sacrificed by the fire which the enemy could instantlybring to bear upon it, he was ready to share its peril, in order that his division might be victorious. The regiment was accordingly formed, with nearlysix hundred muskets in line, and put in motion. In the most perfect order,and in the most gallant manner, it moved forward; but contrary to the expectation of General Hartranft, the enemy, at sight of the advance of so finea body of men, instead of turning all his guns upon it, as was in his powerto do, began to waver, and when the combined forces of the division rushedon with unflinching determination, he had little heart to offer opposition,and the fort, guns, small arms, and many prisoners were speedily taken. Atthe moment when all the plans had been perfected, and the columns wereupon the point of moving, General Hartranft received an order from GeneralParke, in command of the corps, not to attempt to re-take the fort, until reinforcements from the Sixth Corps, which were on their way to his support, shouldarrive. But the order to move had already gone forth, and it could not besafely re-called. He accordingly decided that it was better to disregard, thanto obey orders, and when the moment came, dashed forward with his men,winning a brilliant and most signal victory. The captures made by the division, were fully shared by the regiment. Fortunately, the loss was but slight,being one killed and ten wounded.

Great activity all along the Union lines was soon after inaugurated, and onthe night of the 30th, preparations were made by the division to assault. Itwas, however, deferred until the morning of the 2d of April. At a little before midnight of the 1st, the regiment moved to the camp of the Two Hundred and Seventh, where it remained until half-past three of the following morning.

It then moved to the front, passing around the right of Fort Sedgwick, andwas formed with the brigade, in column by regiments, the left resting on theJerusalem Plank Road, the First Brigade standing in like formation, just inits rear. A strong force of pioneers was detailed from the leading brigade,well provided with axes and spades, all under command of Lieutenant AlbertAlexander, of the Two Hundred and Eleventh, to open the way for the movement of the column. When all was in readiness, the word to advance was given.

The pioneers, closely followed by the division in close column, and joined onright and left by other troops of the corps, went forward, and in an instant theheavy blows of the axe-men upon the well adjusted abatis and chevaux-defrise, were heard. The work of destruction was scarcely begun, when a fearful discharge of grape and canister was brought to bear upon them, before which the stoutest might well quail. But closing up where their ranks were swept away, they soon broke the obstructions, and, assisted by the ready hands of the troops which followed, had ample opening for the advance of the column.

With a rush, the ground in front of the rebel works was cleared, and pushingup the steep and slippery sides of the forts, the troops were soon in completepossession, the enemy either captives or in full retreat, and the rebel main lineof works, from a short distance beyond the Jerusalem Plank Road on the left,to a point four hundred yards to its right, was triumphantly carried and heldby the division. The guns were immediately turned upon the foe, and with hisown ammunition, death and destruction was dealt upon him. Not without afierce struggle was the ground held, for the enemy, intent on re-gaining his lostground, made repeated charges. But hastily throwing up lunets, for the protection of the gunners, and rifle-pits for the infantry, the division succeeded inrepulsing every' assault.

But this signal victory was not gained without signalloss. Of the Two Hundred and Eleventh, four officers and seventeen enlistedmen were killed, four officers and eighty-nine men wounded, and twenty-onemissing, an aggregate of one hundred and thirty-five. Lieutenant ColonelCharles M'Laifi, and Lieutenants Andrew J. Sparks, Albert Alexander, andJohn P. Tarr, were killed, and Major Elias B. Lee, and Lieutenant John M. Pelton, mortally wounded. Captain James D. Gourlay, and Lieutenant Thomas C. Gilson, were severely wounded. Few more desperate assaults, and none moresuccessful, were delivered during the war, than this.

During the following night, the enemy quietly withdrew from the front, and evacuating the city under cover of darkness, retreated rapidly. The division entered on the following morning, with little opposition. The Two Hundred and Eleventh was immediately ordered forward to the Appomattox, to picket the river bank. The railroad bridge and foot bridge, were both found on fire. By vigorous efforts the former was saved, and part of the latter. Towards noon, the regiment marched back to camp.

The remainder of its history is quickly told, for hostile operations were now at an end. It followed along the South Side Railroad, in charge of trains, until it reached Nottoway Court House, where news of the surrender of Lee was received, and where it remained until the 20th, and then proceeded via City Point to Alexandria. Here it encamped, and here, on the 2d of June, it was mustered out of service.

Source:  Bates, Samuel P. History of the Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861-65, Harrisburg, 1868-1871.


Organized at Pittsburg September 16, 1864.
Moved to Bermuda Hundred, Va., September and attached to Provisional Brigade,
Defences of Bermuda Hundred, Army James, to November, 1864.
Provisional Brigade, 9th Army Corps, Army Potomac, to December, 1864.
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 9th Army Corps, to June, 1865.


Siege operations against Petersburg and Richmond, Va.,
September, 1864, to April, 1865.
Duty in the Defences of Bermuda Hundred, Va., till November, 1864.
Joined Army of the Potomac before Petersburg November 28.
Movement in support of Weldon Railroad Expedition December 7-11.
Dabney's Mills, Hatcher's Run, February 5-7, 1865.
Fort Stedman March 25. Appomattox Campaign March 28-April 9.
Assault on and fall of Petersburg April 2.
Pursuit of Lee April 3-9.
At Nottaway C. H. till April 20.
Moved to City Point, thence to Alexandria April 20-28, and duty there till June.
Grand Review May 23.
Mustered out June 2, 1865.


Regiment lost during service:
6 Officers and 38 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and
53 Enlisted men by disease
Total 97.

Source:  Dyer, Frederick H. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion Compiled and Arranged from Official Records of the Federal and Confederate Armies, Reports of he Adjutant Generals of the Several States, the Army Registers, and Other Reliable Documents and Sources.  Des Moines, Iowa: The Dyer Publishing Company, 1908






U. S. C. T.

Direct questions or comments to pacivilwar@pa-roots.net

©  Alice J. Gayley, all rights reserved

Web Space provided by