This regiment was recruited under the auspices of the Union League Association of Philadelphia, to serve for one hundred days, and was known as the Fifth Union League Regiment. It was organized at Camp Cadwalader, near the city, on the 20th of July, 1864, and a week later proceeded to Camp Bradford, at Mankin's Woods, near Baltimore. About the middle of August, it moved by rail to Chicago, Illinois, where it was employed in guarding Camp Douglass, in which was confined a large number of prisoners of war. On the 26th, company H was detached from the regiment and sent to Springfield, Illinois, where, until the expiration of its term of service, it performed provost duty. The regiment returned to Philadelphia, early in November, and upon its arrival, was ordered to temporary duty at Fort Delaware, whither it immediately proceeded. It was mustered out of service at Philadelphia, on the 17th of November, 1864.
Sources: Bates, Samuel P. History of the Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861-65, Harrisburg, 1868-1871.
Organization and Service:Organized at Philadelphia for 100 days July 20, 1864.
Moved to Baltimore, Md., July 27.
Attached to 3rd Separate Brigade, 8th Corps, to August, 1864.
Moved to Camp Douglas, Chicago, Ill., August, and duty there guarding prisoners till November,
Company "H" on provost at Springfield, Ill., August 26 to November.
Mustered out November 17, 1864.
Losses:Regiment lost during service 10 by disease.Source: Dyer, Frederick H. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion Compiled and Arranged from Official Records of the Federal and Confederate Armies, Reports of he Adjutant Generals of the Several States, the Army Registers, and Other Reliable Documents and Sources.Des Moines, Iowa: The Dyer Publishing Company, 1908
Direct questions or comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
© Alice J. Gayley, all rights reserved
Web Space provided by