Independent Battery G
The troops composing this battery, were principally recruited in Allegheny county, and were organized on the 21st of August, 1862, with thefollowing officers:Soon after its organization, it was ordered to Fort Delaware, which was, during the war, little more than a prison post. It was here thoroughly drilled in infantry and artillery service. The enlisted men were mostly young, and of more than ordinary talent and education, and the commandant of the fort soon had a majority of officers and men detailed, or sent away on special duty. A score or more of its members became officers in other organizations, some of whom fell in battle. Repeated applications were made to the Secretary of War by Captain Young, to have the battery ordered to the front; but the representations of the commandant, that it could not be spared from duty at the fort, defeated every application. Its duty as a battery, was consequently little varied, and it was mustered out of service on the 18th of June, 1865.
- John Jay Young, Captain
- Alfred Kerr, First Lieutenant
- George W. Ahl, First Lieutenants
- Joseph C. Young, Second Lieutenant
- John G. M'Connell, Jr., Second Lieutenant
Source: Bates, Samuel P. History of the Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861-65, Harrisburg, 1868-1871.
© Alice J. Gayley, all rights reserved
Web Space provided by