3d Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery/
Source: U. S. Army Heritage and Education Center
(formerly the U. S. Army Military History Institute)
© Alice J. Gayley, all rights reservedUSAMHI
laf Mar 96
Bates, Samuel P. History of the Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861-5. Wilmington, NC: Broadfoot, 1993. Vol. 8, pp. 698-771 (37 photocopied pages). E527B32.1993v8. (Brief history and roster of the regiment).
Dyer, Frederick H. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. Vol. 2. Dayton, OH: Morningside, 1979. Ref. See p. 1571 (1 photocopied page) for a concise summary of the battery's service.
Pennsylvania. Gettysburg Battlefield Comm. Pennsylvania at Gettysburg: Ceremonies at the Dedication of the Monuments Erected by the Commonwealth.... Vol. 2. Hbg, PA: Wm S Ray, 1914. pp. 933-35 (2 photocopied pages). E475.53P422v2. (Addresses delivered at the dedication of and a photo of Battery H's monument at the Gettysburg National Military Park).
Sanderson, Joseph. "Chaplains and Chaplains." In War Papers (MOLLUS, WI, Vol. 3). Milwaukee, WI: Burdick, Amitage & Allen, 1903. pp. 372-376 (3 photocopied pages). E464M5.1991v48.
Sauers, Richard A. Advance the Colors!: Pennsylvania Civil War Battle Flags. Vol. 2. Hbg, PA: Capitol Preservation Comm, 1991. pp. 454-55 (2 photocopied pages). E527.4S38.1991v2. (Brief histories of the Independent Batteries and information on their flags).
Taylor, Frank H. Philadelphia in the Civil War. Phila: By the City, 1913. pp. 152-53 (1 photocopied page). E527.97P54T39. (Brief history of the unit).
The following pertinent personal papers are in the Institute's Manuscript Archive:
- Band, William - William Bland/Arthur Martin Papers (Enlisted man's letters, Aug 30, l86l-Aug l2, l864)
- Breckenridge, George A. - CWTIColl (Enlisted man's letters, Apr l9, l862-Jul 29, l863)
- Lebanon Advertiser - HCWRTColl (Newspaper clippings, Apr 24, l86l; Aug 6, l862; Oct 8, l862; Jun l, l864; Aug 24, l864)
- Martin, Arthur - William Bland/Arthur Martin Papers (Enlisted man's letters, Feb l4, l864-Oct 25, l865)
- Moore, William H. "Tip" - PASaveFlagsColl-MooreFamilyColl (Enlisted men's letters, Mar 6, l862-Jul 24, l864)
- Smith, James - HCWRTColl (Enlisted man's transcribed diary, Oct 25-27, l864; Jan l-Mar 30, l865; muster roll, Apr 30, l864-Jun 30, l865)
- Townsend, Amos - HCWRTColl-BernhardColl (Enlisted man's letter, Nov l, l863)
- Battery G: Cooper, William M. - WmPrinceColl (Enlisted man's letter, Sep l5, l865)
- Battery L: Nevitt, James M. - CWTIColl (Enlisted man's transcribed diary and letter, Jun 28, l863- Dec 3, l864)
Direct questions or comments to email@example.com
Web Space provided by