This comes from the Souvenir program of Ludlow's Old Home Week, July 4-5-6-7,
In 1922, the Ludlow Athletic Association purchased 6.16 acres of land in
Wildcat to be used a a baseball diamond. Additions to the original purchase
were made and ten acres of land were set aside for the ball diamond proper,
and by 1924 this plot was completely graded. J. A. Connelly was a heavy
contributer to this grading project. The possibility of extending the
acreage and of making a community park was readily seen. And so the original
baseball diamond really became the nucleus of the present Wildcat Park.
The Ludlow Community Association was incorporated in September, 1925, with
fifty-one charter members, " For the purpose of promoting wholesome and
healthful sports and recreation and for the social and general welfare of the
people residing in the village of Ludlow and its vicinity, and for that
purpose to maintain suitable grounds, buildings and equipment for the use of
1924 saw very extensive improvements under way. Two Mile Run was changed
by making a new channel. This was done to provide a suitable location for
the new bridge which was to be built over the run. The bridge, donated by G.
W. Olmsted, is a concrete structure 28 feet wide with a 30-foot span. A
gravel road was then constructed crossing Two Mile Run at this point. The
water system was installed in 1926. This project consisted of the
installation of eight small hydrants with pipe lines connecting them with the
spring on the premises.
The playground equipment, consisting of swings, bars, rings, slides, and
sand boxes, were donated by the Girl Scouts.
The Shelter House was erected in 1928, a gift of Walter Lloyd of
Montclair, New Jersey and the Grand Stand was presented to the Park by Nathan
The Ludlow Community Association was presented with a beautiful entrance
gate and gate house in 1929 by G. W. Olmsted. In the same year, the American
Legion, James Uber Post No. 489, erected the exit gate as a memorial to those
who fought in the World War.
In 1930, two clay tennis courts were constructed. Eight large natural gas
hot plates were installed at various places in the park and electric lights
were installed in the park buildings and main entrance.
Two years later saw two bath houses erected and nine additional tennis
Through its natural and beautiful surroundings, many people are attracted
to this woodland spot, and it is not uncommon to find 1500 or 2000 people in
attendance on a Sunday afternoon. Many picnics are held here, and many of
them have come to be an annual affair. Ninety-six large picnics were held in
1934, the largest being that of the United Gas Company with two thousand
people in attendance.
The first Horse Show was held July 15, 1933, with sixty-seven horses
entered. This year it promises to be even larger, attracting people from all
parts of the country.
At present there are one hundred sixty-eight active members in the Ludlow