This comes from the Souvenir program of Ludlow's Old Home Week, July 4-5-6-7,
The first Swedish Lutheran services held in Ludlow were between 1880 and
1882, with the Rev. J. Franzen, of Kane, Pennsylvania, conducting the
meetings. These services were held in the old, one-room school house.
Moriah Lutheran Church
In 1889, the Swedish Lutherans erected a church on a plot of ground
donated by J. G. Curtis. This is the exact site of the church today. The
congregation, composed of forty charter members, was organized in 1882. The
following charter members are still living:
Rev. Christian Swenson
Mrs. Emma Anderson
C. W. Anderson
Mrs. Maria Wenstran
Mrs. Britta Wenstran
Mrs. Hulda Jacobson
Many improvements have been made to the church property during these
years. An altar painting, representing an angel in flight, was done in oil
in 1893, by Albert Johnson. In 1913, this painting was replaced by the
present altar and a copy of Thorwaldsen's statue of Christ. The Sunday
School room was added in 1897 and the kitchen in 1904, thereby giving more
space for the carrying on of church activities. With the addition of the
added parsonage in 1905, the building program of the church was completed.
In 1932, the congregation celebrated its fiftieth anniversary. The
celebration lasted three days, from Friday, August 5th, to Sunday, August
7th. The picnic in Wildcat Park Saturday afternoon, and the Confirmand
Reunion in the evening, were the best attended meetings. Doctor Felix V.
Hanson, president of the New York Conference of the Augusta Synod of the
Lutheran Church, delivered the address at the Historical Meeting Sunday
Three sons of the congregation have become Lutheran pastors, namely: Rev.
E. W. Peterson, Rev. Harry A. Peterson, and Rev. Robert E. Olson.
Regular pastors who have served the congregation are as follows:
E. G. Juhlin
A. F. Peterson
C. A. Hallberg
A. S. Pearson
1935 -Reverend Carl E. Lundgren is the present pastor
The Union Church
"Elder McEwen" occasionally came to Ludlow, when, he found time, and
preached an English service in the old school house. During the week he was
employed in the Kane engine house. This was before the day of the Sunday
passenger train, and he had either to walk the nine miles or "hop" a freight
or a "pusher." The services were very irregular as it was decided to build a
church in Ludlow. Accordingly in 1890, a church was erected where the side
entrance gate to the Olmsted residence now stands. J. G. Curtis donated the
lot most of the building materials used in the construction of this new
church. It was a rather pretty church, the interior being in Gothic
architecture. Unfortunately, this church burned to the ground on Christmas
Eve, 1914, and was never rebuilt.
Swedish Mission Church
The Swedish Mission congregation was organized March 5, 1897, by Rev. A.
W. Franklin, with twenty-four charter members. The church was built during
the same year. It has held regular services during the past thirty-eight
The following pastors have served the congregation: