The first baseball team in Ludlow was organized in 1899 and was very
successful from the beginning.
The first game was played by the Town Boys vs. the Farming Country Boys on
the John T. Anderson Farm. The score was 77-55 in favor of the Town Boys. A
game was later played against Sheffield with Sheffield winning by a 56-11
score. These scores are rather large when compared with the scores made
today, which all seems to indicate that the game, at that time, consisted of
wide open hitting and slugging.
At the outset the grounds now occupied by the Ludlow Garage and Filling
Station wre used as a playing field. Later, baseball was played on the
grounds next to the tannery building of the J. G. Curtis Leather Company.
This site proved undesirable, and in 1904 land was cleared at the top of the
hill overlooking Ludlow, owned by Nels Wenstran. In spite of the hard climb
up hill for players and spectators, this diamond was used continuously, with
the exception of a few seasons when the team played on the Roystone grounds,
until the present diamond at Wildcat Park was opened up for playing.
The line-up was as follows:
John Johnson, c
Wales Connelly, p
Arch Ross, 1b
Tom Connelly, 2b
Nels Nelson, 3b
Lynn Banks, ss
Oscar Swanson, lf
M. Mattison, cf
Tom Gibbs, rf
The first game on the Wildcat Park diamond was played on July 4, 1924.
source:Souvenir program book, Ludlow Old Home Week, July 4-5-6-7, 1935