PHINEAS L. GOLDEN, Duke Centre, of the firms of Carlin Bros. & Golden, and Carlin & Golden, oil producers, was born in Sardinia, Erie Co., N.Y., October 18, 1845, a son of Phineas L. and Mary (Strong) Golden, former a native of Dutchess county, N.Y., born in 1804, and the latter of Fort Herkimer, N.Y. The paternal grandparents of our subject were of English and Scotch descent, respectively, while his maternal grandfather was an Englishman, his maternal grandmother being of German descent. The subject of these lines was reared and educated in his native town, and in 1865 he moved to the oil regions, to Tidioute, Penn., where he remained four years, during which time he became thoroughly experienced in all the details of the oil business, and from 1867 to 1869, he was a producer in that territory. In the latter year he went to Shamburg, Venango Co., Penn., where he carried on a hotel and livery stable, under the firm name of Carlin & Golden, and where they were also in the oil producing business from 1872 till 1874, in which latter year he located at Petrolia, Butler Co., Penn. Here at this time was formed the firm of Carlin Bros. & Golden, who developed several wells, being also engaged in a livery and in a drug business. The firm commenced operations at Duke Centre in 1878, in which field they have drilled twenty-nine wells, all but one of which are producers. The firm of Carlin & Golden are interested as producers in the Allegany county (N.Y.) fields, and the Lima and Maxbury districts of Ohio. Mr. Golden has been a permanent resident of Duke Centre since 1879, and was its efficient postmaster from January 1, 1886, to August 13, 1889. Politically he is a Democrat.
JOHN GRIDLEY, lumberman, Duke Centre, is a native of Schoharie county, N.Y. He settled in Allegany county, N.Y., in 1849, where he was engaged in teaming until 1874, when he located in Eldred, McKean county, Penn. Here he followed farming, one year; then settled in Otto township, and soon after, with his sons, embarked in the lumber business at Gridley Station, where they have since carried on an extensive trade, manufacturing about three million feet of lumber per annum. Mr. Gridley is one of the most prominent citizens and lumbermen of Otto township.
OWEN W. GRIDLEY, of the firm of John Gridley & son, lumbermen, Duke Centre, was born in Irwin Centre, Steuben Co., N.Y., September 3, 1843, a son of John and Susan (Colgrove) Gridley, natives of Steuben county, N.Y. He was reared in Steuben and Allegany counties, educated in the common schools and Union school at Wellsville, same State, and began life as a teamster in the woods. He was also engaged as a mover of buildings in Wellsville, for five years. In 1875 he located on the old Dennis farm in Eldred, where he carried on farming one year; then removed to Otto township, and with his father purchased a farm of 300 acres of A.N. Taylor, which they conducted two years. When the oil excitement struck that locality they sold 100 acres for oil purposes, and still own the balance. In 1878 they erected a saw-mill at what is now Gridley Station, and have since done a large and successful lumber business, manufacturing about three million feet of lumber annually. Mr. Gridley married, in 1861, Sarah, daughter of William Ockerman, of Steuben county, N.Y., and they have three children living: George W., Susie and Arthur. Mr. Gridley was in the Civil war, enlisting August 13, 1863, in the First Brigade Band, Harding's Division, Twenty-second Army Corps, served two years, and was honorably discharged at Washington, D.C. He is a member of the G.A.R. Politically he is a Democrat. In addition to their lumber business Messrs. Gridley & Son have been operating in oil for the past six years, and now have three producing wells on the farm, and are continually developing more of their oil property.
MARION HENSHAW, oil producer, Duke Centre, is a native of Butler county, Penn., where he was reared and educated. He began life in the oil fields of Venango county, and there learned all the rudiments of the oil business. In 1871 he located at Petersburg, Clarion county, where his business was principally putting down wells by contract, and where he was also a producer to some extent. In 1877 he came to Custer City, McKean county, Penn., where, with Col. Vera, he engaged in the production of oil, and was associated with him for three years. Since 1880 he has been located at Duke Centre, operating on his own account, and now has twenty-eight producing wells in McKean county, besides having been interested in seventy-five well in the entire oil fields. Mr. Henshaw is one of the pioneers in the oil business at Duke Centre, and one of the few who still remain in the field. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity; in politics a Democrat.
O. P. IRVINE, machinist, Duke Centre, is a native of Montreal, Canada. In 1853 he located at Lawrence, Mass., where he served an apprenticeship of over three years at the machinist's trade, after which he worked as a journey-man in the cities of Boston, Mass., Rochester and Dunkirk, N.Y., Titusville, Penn., and other points. In 1864 he was in the employ of the United States government at Nashville, Tenn. In 1878 he located at Duke Centre, where he opened a blacksmith and machine shop with Sidney Morgan, under the firm name of Irvine & Morgan; they have built up a successful business in the manufacture of oil drilling and fishing tools, and all kinds of machine and repair work necessary in the oil district. For five years the firm had a branch shop at Bolivar, N.Y., and they are also large oil producers in the field of McKean county, Penn., and Allegany county, N.Y. Mr. Irvine is one of Duke Centre's prominent and representative citizens. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. Politically, he is independent. William Irvine, grandfather of the subject of these lines, came from Glasgow, Scotland, and landed in Quebec in 1802. His son, William, father of O.P. Irvine, was born in the same year in Quebec, and married Miss Matilda Lebare, of Montreal, about the year 1824. O.P. Irvine was married in Dunkirk, N.Y., to Miss Mary Young, a resident of that place, but a native of Schenectady, N.Y., and of Scotch parentage. To this latter union have been born children as follows: William Andrew (born April 14, 1860, at Dunkirk, died March 13, 1881), Addie E. (born September 16, 1861, at Dunkirk), Fred G. (born at the same place February 28, 1864), Mary Ellen (born also at the same place in 1866, died December 25, 1870), Albert (born February 1, 1871, also at Dunkirk), Mary (born at Dunkirk February 5, 1875, died at Duke Centre, Penn., March 21, 1881), and Isabella (born in Duke Centre, August 7, 1879).
C. F. KEIM, is a native of Cattaraugus county, N.Y., where he was reared and educated. He was brought up on a farm, and at the age of sixteen rented a farm, which he successfully conducted six years, after which he operated a cheese factory in Erie county, N.Y., one year; was then engaged in the sale of agricultural implements in Cattaraugus county, N.Y., two years. In January, 1885, he located at Duke Centre, and embarked in the grocery business. Mr. Keim has an interest in fourteen producing oil wells at Allentown, Allegany Co., N.Y. He is a member of the K.O.T.M. and K. of L.; is a Democrat is politics, and served as a member of the council one term while Duke Centre was a borough.
L. J. LILLY, dealer in boots and shoes, clothing and gents' furnishing goods, Duke Centre, was born in Bloomfield township, Crawford Co., Penn., October 1, 1845, son of Orrin and Olive (Hancock) Lilly, formerly of Massachusetts, who settled in Crawford county about 1843. L.J. Lilly was reared in his native township until sixteen years of age, when he was apprenticed to the shoemaker's trade in Union City, Penn., where he worked two years. March 29, 1864, he enlisted in Battery L, Second Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery, One Hundred and Twelfth Regiment. The regiment was immediately divided, and he was assigned to the provisional Second Pennsylvania Artillery. He participated in the battles of the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Bethesda Church, Petersburg, Cold Harbor, Chapin's Farm, and other engagements, and was honorably discharged February 8, 1866. He then returned to Crawford county, and worked at his trade in Riceville until 1872; then located at Antwerp, Clarion Co., Penn., where he opened a shoe store, which he conducted one and one-half years; then removed to Turkey City, where he was engaged in business until 1879, when he located at Duke Centre and embarked in his present business, which he has conducted with marked success. Mr. Lilly married, March 24, 1868, Sarah B., daughter of Capt. Samuel and Nancy (Laughlin) Johnson, of Crawford county, and they have three children: Ellis O., Arthur L. and Lynn M. Mr. Lilly is one of the leading and prominent merchants of Duke Centre, and while it was a borough served as member of council and school director. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and of the Grand Army of the Republic. Politically he is a Republican.
WILLIAM F. LOVEJOY, farmer, P.O. Prentiss Vale, was born in Washington county, Me., August 21, 1837, a son of William and Ruth T. (Treworgy) Lovejoy, who settled in Farmers Valley, McKean county, Penn., in 1847, and in 1848 in Otto township, on the farm now occupied by William F., a part of which they cleared and where they resided until their death. They had four children: William F., Willard T., Susan M. (Mrs. Charles C. Belknap) and Arthur P. William F. Lovejoy was reared in Otto township from eleven years of age. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company G, One Hundred and Fiftieth Pennsylvania Volunteers, served three years, and was honorably discharged in July, 1865. After the war he carried on lumbering in Otto township for one year. He then removed to Minnesota and engaged in farming and lumbering there, with the exception of one year, until 1877, when he returned to Otto and has since resided on the old homestead, a part of which he cleared and improved. He is a representative citizen of Otto township, and has held various local offices. In politics he is a Republican.
J. C. LOOKER, oil producer, P.O. Summit City, was born in Crawford county, Penn., in 1855, a son of Henry and Louisa (Hatch) Looker, who now reside with him. Mr. Looker is a carpenter by trade, and worked in Warren county, Penn., previous to coming to McKean county, in 1878. He has been engaged in producing oil since 1880, and now owns and operates eighty-six wells. In 1876 he married Miss Sarah E. Putnam, of Crawford county, Penn., and they have five children: Ralph, Louise, Myrtle, James and Ida. Mr. Looker is identified with the Republican party, and is a member of the Knights of the Maccabees.
JOHN C. MILLS, of the firm of Duke & Mills, druggists, Duke Centre, was born in Sharon, Mercer county, Penn., December 22, 1857. He was reared in Venango county, Penn., and educated in the Venango Normal school. In 1870, when thirteen years of age, he engaged as a clerk with the drug firm of Chamberlin & Tyler, of Rouseville, Penn., with whom he remained for seven years. From Rouseville he went to Colorado, where he was employed as a surveyor for the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad Company for one year. In November, 1879, he located at Duke Centre, where he was engaged in the tank business six months, after which he was clerk in a drug store until 1882. He then, with Charles Duke, purchased the drug business of C.H. Collins, and they have since conducted a successful business under the firm name of Duke & Mills. In 1886 they purchased the copyright, trade-mark, and sole proprietorship of galvanic oil, which they have since manufactured, a remedy that has been before the public for fifteen years, and has a world-wide reputation as a liniment and counter irritant, used internally or externally, for man or beast, having an extensive sale in the United States, Canada and Great Britain. Mr. Mills is a wide-awake and enterprising business man. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias, Equitable Aid Union, and of the Pennsylvania Pharmaceutical Association.
SIDNEY MORGAN, blacksmith, Duke Centre, was born in Newport, England, in 1849. At the age of twelve years he was sent to London and apprenticed to the blacksmith's trade, serving until 1869, when he came to America and located at Erie, Penn., where he worked as a journeyman six months. From there he went to Dunkirk, N.Y., where he remained until 1876, when he went to Titusville, Penn., and in 1878 located at Duke Centre, where, with O.P. Irvine, he opened a machine shop, which they have since successfully conducted under the firm name of Irvine & Morgan. Mr. Morgan is also a producer of oil in the Bradford and Allegany districts. He is a leading citizen of Duke Centre, is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and in politics is a Republican.
FRANK J. NEWTON, merchant, Rixford, was born in Sharon township, Potter Co., Penn., August 31, 1859, and is a son of Alonzo and Angeline (Warner) Newton. His father was a native of Bainbridge, Chenango Co., N.Y., and among the pioneer farmers and lumbermen of Sharon township, where he now resides. His maternal grandfather, O.C. Warner, formerly of Vermont, was one of the first settlers of Sharon township, and a farmer and lumberman by occupation. Frank J. Newton was reared and educated in his native township, and located at Rixford, McKean county, in 1879, where he opened a general store in company with George W. Dodge, and they have since conducted a successful business under the firm name of Dodge & Newton. Mr. Newton married, February 10, 1881, Ruth Russell, of Buffalo, N.Y., and they have four children: Nellie, George, Esther and Nelson. Mr. Newton is a leading merchant and citizen of Rixford. He is a Royal Arch Mason and a member of Council No. 43, Bradford, Penn. Politically he is a Republican.
W. G. NOBLE, a prominent merchant of Duke Centre, is a native of Amity, Allegany Co., N.Y., was reared on a farm and educated in the common and grade schools. He located at Duke Centre in 1878, and with I.C. Showerman opened a dry goods, glassware and crockery store, which partnership existed three years under the firm name of Showerman & Noble. Mr. Noble then purchased the business interest of his partner, and conducted the business alone until September, 1887, when C.H. Brown purchased an interest in the business, which has since been conducted under the firm name of C.H. Brown & Co. Mr. Noble has been, since 1886, engaged in business as an oil producer, and owns a controlling interest in twenty producing wells. He is also a lover of horse flesh, and is a breeder of blooded stock, which are registered in Wallace's American Stud Book. When Duke Centre was a borough Mr. Noble served as a member of the council. Though a young man, he is one of the pioneer merchants of Duke Centre, and one of its leading citizens and business men. Politically he is a Republican. The father of our subject was a pioneer to Allegany county, N.Y., from Whitehall, N.Y., having moved there when a small boy. At that time it was necessary to go ten miles to mill and carry a sack of corn on their shoulders through the forest path, there being no roads. The elder Noble is now sixty-nine years old, and hardly gray. He reached Allegany county in 1815, being five years old at the time. His wife was born in the same county, and is sixty years old. W.G. Noble is the eldest of their family of six children, and was born in 1854. His father is a cousin of O. Noble, of Erie, Penn., of the old Noble oil-well fame.
ARTHUR PRENTISS, farmer, Prentiss Vale, was born in Paris, Oxford Co., Me., February 1, 1808, a son of Caleb and Mary (Morgan) Prentiss. He was reared in his native county, and labored on his father's farm until twenty-one years of age, at which time (in 1829) he emigrated to Penobscot county, same State, and on July 4, 1831, he opened a variety store at the town of Lee, twelve miles from any other store, and where he sold no intoxicants. Here he resided until his removal in 1847 to Pennsylvania. While a resident of Lee himself and brother, Addison, now of Worcester, Mass., were mainly instrumental in the establishment of an academy there, called the Lee Normal School (with a grant of half a township of State timber land), which is still in a prosperous condition. In December, 1845, Mr. Prentiss first came to Pennsylvania, and was induced by an old Maine acquaintance, Herman Strong (who came here in 1842), to visit Otto township, with a view to purchasing pine timber land and the locating of a colony of Eastern farmers and lumbermen, and interesting account of which, and the settlement of the township, from the pen of Mr. Prentiss himself, will be found in the history of Otto township in this book. In the spring of 1846 he a second time visited this region, and again in the fall of the same year, when he succeeded in concluding arrangements for all the land wanted. All the contracts were made to George M. Prentiss, a brother, then of Worcester, Mass., who furnished all the capital required. In April, 1847, Mr. Arthur Prentiss moved his family to Farmers Valley, and they occupied the old Sartwell (now Goodwin) farm two years, while he was locating land, etc., preparatory to building a mill, etc. In the spring of 1849 he moved into a log house in the valley, and began the erection of a saw-mill, which was put in operation in the fall of the same year. Mr. Prentiss married, October 27, 1832, Lucinda, daughter of Stephen and Abigail (Morse) Blaisdell, of Cumberland county, Me., and they have had three children: Horatio K., who died in 1857; Ellen L. (Mrs. Joseph G. Spiller, now at Cheboygan, Mich.) and William A. (now at Prentiss Vale). Mr. Prentiss has been postmaster at Prentiss Vale nearly forty years. Politically he is a Republican and an advocate of prohibition, having long been a teetotaler, Maine Law Prohibitionist and anti-slavery man, and, in his own words, he is thankful that he has never made drunkards, but has done some little to benefit humanity. Mr. Prentiss was active in forming a Congregational Church at Prentiss Vale, which at one time had more than thirty members, but which is now nearly extinct, owing to deaths, removals and other causes.
THOMAS D. ROSS, M.D., Duke Centre, is a native of Chautauqua county, N.Y., where he was reared and educated. He began the study of medicine, in 1871, with Dr. Wilson, and later with Dr. A. Ross, of Chautauqua county, N.Y. He entered the medical department of the University of Wooster, Cleveland, Ohio, in 1875, and was graduated in 1878. The same year he began the practice of his profession in Duke Centre, where he has since been located, and has built up a large and successful practice. He is a member of the McKean County Medical Society, and of the F. & A.M. Politically he is a Democrat.
ROBERT SHAFER, hardware merchant, Duke Centre, is a native of Mercer county, Penn., but was reared and educated in Lawrence county. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Thirty-first Pennsylvania Volunteers; participated in the battles of Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, and was honorably discharged from the service in May, 1863. He then located in the oil district, and has been engaged, more or less, as a producer in the fields of Butler, Venango, Clarion and Bradford. He located at Duke Centre in 1880, and here embarked in the hardware trade in 1887. He is a member of the G.A.R., and of the A.O.U.W., Select Knights. Mr. Shafer served as burgess of Duke Centre one term, and as councilman one term, during its incorporation. Politically he is a Democrat.
FRANCIS W. SPRAGUE, oil producer, Duke Centre, was born in Bath, Me., October 16, 1825, a son of Peleg and Charlotte W. (Owen) Sprague. His ancestors came from England to America about 1630. He was reared in his native town, and when eighteen years of age removed to Taunton, Mass., where he learned the machinist's trade, and resided for twelve years. In January, 1856, he settled in Otto township, McKean county, where he has since resided, and cleared and improved the farm he now occupies. He was in the lumber business in Otto township, the first eight years of his residence, and for a number of years worked at his trade in Olean, N.Y. Since 1878 he has been a producer of oil, and has twelve producing wells on his farm, seven of which he opened. Mr. Sprague married, In 1847, Mary, daughter of Cyrus and Sylvia (Philbrick) Baldwin, who settled in Otto township in 1855, and who were formerly of Maine. The issue of this marriage was ten children: William F., Everett E., Mary E. (Mrs. M. Fisher), Emma L. (Mrs. Edward Bryant), Sarah J., Merritt B., Cyrus W., Mertie A. (Mrs. D.E. Jones), Annie L. and Fred W. (deceased). Mrs. Sprague died March 4, 1881. Mr. Sprague has always taken an active part in local politics, and from 1870 to 1874 held the office of county auditor. Politically, he was originally a Whig, and cast his first presidential vote for Zachary Taylor in 1848. He has been a supporter of the Republican party since its organization; he is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and of the Congregational Church.
WILLIAM F. SPRAGUE, farmer, P.O. Duke Centre, was born in Mansfield, Mass., October 1, 1848, a son of Francis W. and Mary (Baldwin) Sprague. He was reared in Otto township from eight years of age, and was educated in the common schools. He began life as a lumberman, which occupation he followed from sixteen years of age until 1876, when he engaged in farming, which he has since carried on, and since 1885 has to some extent been engaged in the oil business as a producer. January 1, 1874, he married Ellen, daughter of H.B. and Electa (Covert) Baker, of Otto township, and they have three children living: Francis H., Eugene and Walter. Mr. Sprague is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and of the Knights of Pythias. Politically he is a Republican, and has held many of the local offices of the township, being at present township assessor.
EVERETT E. SPRAGUE, oil producer, Duke Centre, was born in Mansfield, Mass., July 31, 1850, a son of Francis W. and Mary (Baldwin) Sprague. He was reared from six years of age in Otto township, where he received a common-school education, and began life working in a saw-mill. Afterward, in 1878, he located on the farm he now occupies, which he cleared and improved, and on which he has since resided. He has been interested in producing oil since the first excitement at Duke Centre in 1878, and is now operating nine producing wells. He married, January 1, 1874, Eva, daughter of Benjamin and Hannah (Judkins) Bunker, of Otto township, and they have three children: Eva, Eugene and Willie. Mr. Sprague has taken thirty-two degrees in Freemasonry, and is a member of lodge, chapter, council, commandery and consistory. In politics he is a Republican.
G. A. WILLIAMS, oil producer and proprietor of a meat market, Duke Centre, is a native of Toronto, Canada, where he was reared and educated. He came to the United States in 1868, and located at Pleasantville, Venango Co., Penn., where he conducted a meat market four years; he afterward had a market in Edenburgh, Clarion Co., Penn. In 1879 Mr. Williams located in Duke Centre, where he has since carried on the leading meat market of the place. He has been identified with the oil industry since October, 1887, and is at present the owner of six producing wells in the Allegany county (N.Y.) field. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. and of the A.O.U.W., Select Knights. In politics he is a Republican.