FRITZ BLOCK, Sr., farmer, P.O. Kasson, was born in Germany, November 15, 1846, a son of Fred and Getta Block. Fred Block came to America in 1859, and enlisted in the Civil war in 1861, where he was killed, leaving his family in Germany. Fritz Block worked as a laborer in Germany until 1872, when he came to Morris Run, Tioga Co., Penn., and went to work in the coal mines; here he remained two years, then went to work in the mines at Clermont, McKean Co., Penn. He married, February 8, 1873, Miss Augusta Bemkoskey, of Germany, and they are the parents of seven children, viz.: Maggie, Anna, Mary, Minnie, Matilda, Fritz, Jr., and Johnnie. In 1886 Mr. Block came to Hamlin township and purchased the farm on which he now resides. He is one of the well-to-do farmers in the township, and has held various local offices. Mr. and Mrs. Block are members of the Lutheran Church.
W. W. BREWER, proprietor of hotel, Mount Jewett, is a native of McKean county, Penn., born in Norwich township November 24, 1843. He remained at home until eighteen years of age, and August 13, 1861, enlisted in defense of the Union in the noted regiment known as the "Pennsylvania Bucktails," participating in all the engagements of his regiment. He was wounded at the battle of Antietam, but was disabled only a short time. He was discharged August 13, 1864, and returned home. In 1884 he built a fine hotel in Mount Jewett, and upon its completion opened it to the public, and is still its genial proprietor. Mr. Brewer was married, August 9, 1865, to Miss Orpha Homer, and they have two daughters: Nellie and Hettie. Mr. Brewer is a member of the Masonic fraternity, McKean Lodge, No. 388, Bradford Chapter, No. 260, and Trinity Commandery, No. 58.
H. W. BURLINGAME, farmer, P.O. Kasson, is a son of Isaac and Sophronia (Wolcott) Burlingame, natives of New York State, who came to McKean county in 1815 with Timothy Wolcott and others, and settled in Norwich township (then Sergeant township) in the year 1816; it was what is known among the old settlers as "the cold season;" the crops were all destroyed, and Isaac Burlingame, in company with Timothy Wolcott, went in a canoe to Pittsburgh for provisions, taking six weeks to make the trip. Isaac Burlingame was one of the party who were pushing a canoe load of potatoes up what is now known as "Potato creek," and tipped the load over in the creek, from which incident the stream derived its name. H.W. Burlingame was born in Sergeant township, McKean Co., Penn., March 3, 1818, on the old farm now owned by George Burdick. His father was a mason by trade, and H.W. worked with him until February 26, 1841, when he married Miss Sally Rifle, a daughter of Amos Rifle, of Norwich township, and then began life for himself. They reared a family of four children, viz.: H.L., living in Smethport; Wilbur, died in the Civil war; Amanda, wife of James Barnes, of Michigan, and Arabella C., wife of Lucas Wilson, of Ludington, Mich. Mr. Burlingame, after his marriage, resided in Norwich township until 1848, when he sold out and came to Hamlin township. His wife died in 1849, and in June of the same year he married Miss Casandana King, a daughter of Joseph P. and Harriet (Berry) King, natives of New York State, who came to McKean county among the early settlers. Mr. and Mrs. Burlingame have a family of five children, viz.: Carlton K.; Millie J., wife of E.L. Olmsted, Norwich; George D., deceased; Effie and Royal H., who reside with their parents. They are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Burlingame has built by contract many of the roads in Hamlin township, and has been an enterprising and successful business man. He has held various township offices, including those of State road commissioner, supervisor, school director, town clerk, auditor and postmaster.
D. H. DAVIS, lumberman, Mount Jewett, was born in Wales, the eldest son in a family of four children born to Joshua and Annie (James) Davis, natives of Wales, who came to Cambria county, Penn., in 1837. The father died when D.H. was seven years of age, and since that time he has earned his own livelihood. He learned the shoemaker's trade, at which he worked thirty-three years. In September, 1861, he entered the United States service, serving three years and nine months, when he was honorably discharged. Returning home he married, in June, 1867, Miss Clementine Eason, of Cherry Tree, Penn., and they are the parents of five children. Mr. Davis worked at his trade until 1885, when he came to Mount Jewett and started a basket factory in company with W.H. Reese, and they afterward put in a saw-mill. In 1887 the mill was destroyed by fire, but has since been rebuilt, and is run under the firm name of Hitchcock & Davis, manufacturers of "dimension stuff." Mr. Davis has held the office of justice of the peace for twelve years. He is a member of Burnside Lodge, No. 679, I.O.O.F. Mr. and Mrs. Davis are members of the Methodist Protestant Church.
JOHN EASTBURGH, Mount Jewett, is a son of Johnson and Brita (Nelson) Eastburgh, natives of Sweden, was born in Gefle city, Sweden, September 17, 1852, and received a practical business education in his native country. His mother died when he was quite young. At twenty-one years of age he engaged with a lumber firm as foreman, and was employed by them for eight years. In June, 1881, he located at Jamestown, N.Y., but in a short time came to Bradford, Penn., where he engaged as a laborer upon the railroad. From Bradford he went to Hillsville, Ohio, and finally returned to Jamestown, engaging with the P. & W.R.R. as a section foreman, in which capacity he came to McKean county. In December, 1884, he married Miss Annie C. Johnson, a daughter of Peter and Charlotte Johnson, natives of Sweden, and they have two children: Jennie Mathilda (born December 17, 1885) and Annie Emelia (born May 6, 1889). In 1886 Mr. Eastburgh came to Mount Jewett as section foreman, and here he has purchased a piece of land and erected his residence. Mr. and Mrs. Eastburgh are members of the Congregational Church.
JOHN EKEN, farmer, P.O. Mount Jewett, is a son of Daniel and Melissa (Yons) Eken, natives of Sweden, where he was born November 18, 1825. He received his education in the common schools of Sweden, and spent his boyhood days upon the farm with his father. In November, 1847, he married Miss Lena Johnson, a daughter of John and Mary (Nels) Johnson, natives of Sweden, who has borne him eight children: Mary L., wife of G. Nelson, in Brooklyn, N.Y.; Charlotte T., wife of G.M. Jackson, in Baltimore, Md.; Ida S., in Brooklyn, N.Y.; Annie A., also in Brooklyn, N.Y.; Emma, wife of J.R. Johnson, in Mount Jewett; Augusta W., Charles and Jennie R. Mr. Eken came to McKean county in 1869, and in 1871 located at Mount Jewett, where he now resides. Mr. and Mrs. Eken are now members of church. He has always been very successful in business, and they have a fine home at Mount Jewett.
J. F. GALLUP, farmer, P.O. Kasson, is a son of Nathaniel C. and Dinah (Edmunds) Gallup, natives of Connecticut, who came to Sergeant township, McKean Co., Penn., in 1815. They reared a family of nine children, J.F. being the eldest son. He was born in Connecticut, March 17, 1809. His educational advantages were limited, there being no schools in that part of the country at that time. He spent his boyhood days with his parents upon the farm, and, when he was twenty years of age, his father died, leaving him seventy-five acres of land, on the condition that he would pay the debts he owed. The condition he accepted, and in four years had succeeded in canceling all obligations. In March, 1833, he married Miss Docha Brewer, a daughter of Nathaniel and Phebe Brewer, of Norwich township, McKean Co., Penn., and to this union were born three children, viz.: Orson D. Ellen A. (deceased) and Orpha A., who resides with her father. Mrs. Gallup died September 14, 1885. Mr. Gallup came to Marvin Creek, Hamlin township, in 1861, and here he now has a fine home and farm. He has held the office of county commissioner one term, besides various township offices.
M. J. GALLUP, merchant, Mount Jewett, was born in Norwich township, McKean Co., Penn., September 20, 1864, a son of Orson D. and Alvira V. Gallup, natives of the same township. When he was eighteen years old he formed a partnership with C.A. Anderson, of Colegrove, Penn., which continued two years, when the partnership was dissolved, and he moved to Mount Jewett, where he embarked in the general mercantile business, keeping a fine store of well-selected goods. He is an enterprising young man, and holds a high position among the business men of Mount Jewett. He has held several of the township offices, and has served efficiently and acceptably. Mr. Gallup was married September 20, 1887, to Miss Alma J., daughter of J.W. and Sarah Brennan, all natives of Smethport, Penn.
GEORGE O. GARLICK, farmer and postmaster, Kasson, is a son of Truman and Catherine (Rifle) Garlick, the former a native of Otsego county, N.Y., and the latter of Tioga county, Penn., who came to Hamlin township in 1825. They reared a family of six children, of whom George O. is the second son. He was born in Hamlin township, McKean Co., Penn., June 8, 1839, received his education in the public schools of the township, and spent his boyhood days upon the farm with his father. In May, 1864, he married Miss Phebe McKean, a daughter of Bernard and Bridget (Graham) McKean, natives of Ireland. They have three children: Bertie, Eva and Bernard. After his marriage, Mr. Garlick went to Minnesota with a team, but returned in one year, then went to Wilcox, Penn., and engaged in shoemaking, although he had never learned the trade. Here he remained for ten years, at the end of which time he settled upon the farm he now owns. In politics Mr. Garlick votes with the Republican party, and has filled the following offices: school director, road commissioner, town clerk, collector, overseer of poor, treasurer, and has filled the postmastership of Kasson for six years.
L. A. GROAT, landlord of the Fairview House, Mount Jewett, is a son of Peter and Minerva (McIntyre) Groat, natives of New York State. They came to Wilcox, Penn., in 1870, and Peter Groat was engaged as foreman of the Wilcox tannery for twelve years. They reared a family of eleven children, the subject of this sketch being the third son. He was born in Bradford county, Penn., October 30, 1842, and received a practical business education in the common schools of New York State. He spent his time with this parents until he attained the age of thirty-five years, engaging in the tanning business as an overseer. In May, 1881, he married Miss Flora A. Hamilton, a daughter of David and Eleanor Hamilton, of Emporium, Penn., and they have had three children: Carrie, Harry and Bertha (the last named deceased). After his married Mr. Groat went to Clarendon, Warren Co., Penn., and engaged in building oil rigs and tanks. In the winter of 1887 he came to Mount Jewett and erected the hotel which he successfully conducts. Mr. and Mrs. Groat are members of the Presbyterian Church at Kane, Penn. Mr. Groat is a member of Newark Valley Lodge, No. 614, F. & A.M., and of Fisher Tent, No. 45, K.O.T.M.
PHILIP HAFNER, farmer, P.O. Kasson, was born in Germany, March 17, 1839, is a son of Christopher and Elizabeth (May) Hafner. He received his education in his native land, and came to McKean county, Penn., with his parents in 1853. When seventeen years of age he went to work as a laborer in the lumber woods. In November, 1867, he married Miss Ellen, a daughter of Lyman and M.E. (Starks) Bell, of Coudersport, Penn., and they are the parents of three children: Nellie M., Harry H. and Leo R. After his marriage Mr. Hafner was employed upon the farm of Wernwag & Co., until 1875, when he opened a meat market at Clermont, which he conducted one year, then came to Hamlin township, and purchased the farm on Marvin creek, where he now resides. He is a prominent citizen, and has held various township offices.
WILLIAM HAFNER, farmer, P.O. Kasson, is a son of Christopher and Elizabeth (May) Hafner, natives of Germany, who came to this country, and settled in Sergeant township, McKean Co., Penn., in 1853. They were the parents of eight children, of whom William is the sixth son. He was born in Germany, July 17, 1845, and came to this country with his parents in his boyhood. When fourteen years of age he began work as a laborer, at Clermont, Penn., and afterward went to Wilcox, where he worked for Col. A.I. Wilcox, for three years, after which he was employed by an engineering party for one year, when he returned to Wilcox, and was re-engaged by Mr. Wilcox. In March, 1875, he married Miss Jennie Potter, a daughter of John F. and Phebe (Farley) Potter, of Lycoming county, Penn., and they have reared a family of four children, viz.: Idela M., Edith A., Edna L. and Earl P. In 1876 Mr. Hafner came to Marvin Creek, Hamlin township, McKean Co., Penn., and purchased the farm where he now resides.
JOHN HAFNER, farmer, was born in Germany, in 1835, a son of Christopher and Elizabeth (May) Hafner. He came to McKean county, Penn., with his parents in 1853, and at seventeen years of age began work for himself as a laborer. He was married, in 1861, to Miss Theresa, daughter of Christopher and Minnie Heinemann, of Norwich township, McKean Co., Penn., and she bore him one child, Mary L., wife of G.H. Graff, of Mount Alton, Penn. After his marriage he came to Hamlin township and purchased a farm. His wife died in 1878, and in 1881 he married Miss Minnie Fedder, of Smethport, who died in 1883. In 1885, Mr. Hafner married Miss Elizabeth Martin, of Farmers Valley, Penn., who died in 1889. She was a member of the Lutheran Church, as is also Mr. Hafner. He has held various township offices.
CHARLES G. JACKSON, merchant, Mount Jewett, is a native of Sweden, born January 28, 1858. He remained in his native country till manhood, working on a farm from the time he was old enough for manual labor. In 1880 he came to the United States and located at Mount Jewett, where he obtained employment as a laborer. In 1885 he embarked in mercantile business, and in 1887 became associated with O. Haglen, which partnership continued until April 1, 1889, when they dissolved by mutual consent, and Mr. Jackson is now conducting business alone. He is a successful young man, and is one of the well-known citizens of Mount Jewett. He was married September 15, 1883, to Miss Amanda Lumberg, also a native of Sweden, and they have one child. They are members of the Lutheran Church.
JOHN R. JOHNSON, contractor and house builder, Mount Jewett, is a son of Johannis and Anna Elizabeth Johnson, of the township of Hellefors, county of Orebro, located in the central part of Sweden, the city of Orebro being the capital of said county, and iron mining and lumbering the chief industries of that part of Sweden. Johannis Johnson, shoemaker by trade, was born in 1818, and died of consumption when forty-eight years old; his remains lie buried in the Hellefors Cemetery. His wife, Anna Elizabeth, was born in 1813, has worked hard all her days, and is yet living in her native country. They had six children, two of whom are deceased, and four are living in America. Of these, John R., who was the youngest child, was born February 4, 1858, in Orebro county, Sweden. He received his education in his native country, and spent his boyhood days with his parents, learning the carpenter's trade. In May, 1878, he left his native country and came to America, locating at Mount Jewett, where he worked at his trade, and after some time he bought a piece of land. As the place was growing, the land rose in price, and he became very successful in selling land lots. On December 24, 1882, Mr. Johnson married Miss Emma F. Eken, a daughter of John and Lena Eken, former a wealthy farmer of Mount Jewett. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson have a fine home, where they reside on the main street, Mount Jewett, and have a family of three children: Ernest R. W., born October 3, 1883; Ethel Beatrice, born November 10, 1886; Lilly Elvira, born January 9, 1889, all of whom reside at home. Mr. Johnson is very successful in his business, and Mrs. Johnson is a happy mother, loving and beloved by her children, a woman who is a blessing to her family. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson attend the Lutheran Church; in politics he votes with the Prohibition party.
N. P. LANTZ, farmer, P.O. Mount Jewett, is a son of John and Annastine Lantz, natives of Sweden, and was born June 24, 1841. He received a practical business education in the common schools of Sweden, and spent the days of his early manhood upon his father's farm, and on the railroad in the capacity of foreman. In November, 1864, he married Miss Sophia M., daughter of Aaron and Sophia Elkstrom, and they have a family of eight children. In 1872 Mr. Lantz came to Pittsburgh, Penn., and worked in the coal mines until 1876, when he moved to Hamlin township, McKean county, settling three and one-half miles from any neighbors. He then engaged with the Union Oil Company as foreman, with whom he was employed five years. Mr. Lantz owns a large farm near Mount Jewett, is one of the leading men of the township, and has held various township offices. Mr. and Mrs. Lantz are members of the Lutheran Church.
CHARLES LUNDEN, proprietor of billiard room, Mount Jewett, is a native of Sweden, born January 26, 1866, and when five years of age was brought to America and to McKean county, Penn., by his parents. He was reared in that county, and lived at home until manhood. He is now proprietor of a fine billiard parlor, and owner of considerable property, including the building where he carries on his business, and is one of the most enterprising young men of Mount Jewett. December 19, 1887, Mr. Lunden married Miss Alma Swonsy, of Mount Jewett.
THOMAS McCLELLAN, lumberman, Mount Jewett, is a son of A.J. and Eliza (Peters) McClellan, natives of Pennsylvania. They were the parents of two children, of whom Thomas is the eldest son. He was born in Phillipsburg, Centre Co., Penn., September 8, 1859, and received a practical business education in the common schools of Clearfield county. In June, 1878, he came to Kane, Penn., with the sum of $1.40 of his earnings; here he remained until 1884, when he took Horace Greeley's advice and went West. He returned, however, the next year, and purchased some land at Ludlow, McKean Co., Penn., in partnership with George Mell, and engaged in lumbering. In 1889 he entered into partnership with Elisha K. Kane, of Kane, Penn., and came to Mount Jewett, where they purchased a tract of land, and are now erecting a large mill with the latest improvements. He is also interested in the Mount Jewett, Kinzua & Ritterville Railroad, which is in the process of construction. In 1885 he married Miss Mary E. Fuller, a daughter of Ambrose and Martha Eliza (Jones) Fuller, of Emporium, Penn., and they have two children, Helen and Paul. Mrs. Martha E. Fuller was born in Springfield, Mass. Mr. McClellan is a wide-awake man, ever ready to promote the interests of his township. In politics he votes with the Prohibition party.
E. B. McCOY, druggist, Mount Jewett, a son of W.Y. and Charlotte (Darling) McCoy, of Smethport, Penn., was born in Smethport June 1, 1856. He received a practical business education in his native town, and spent his boyhood days with his parents. November 22, 1876, he married Miss Frances E., a daughter of Joseph and Rachel (Bovee) Lyman, of Binghampton, N.Y. Mr. McCoy worked in his father's drug store until 1883, when, in company with his brother, H.S., he bought a stock of drugs in Smethport, remaining in partnership until 1885, when he bought his brother's interest. Mr. McCoy continued in business here until 1887, in which year he sold out and came to Mount Jewett, where he built a store and put in a stock of drugs. He has been successful, and is now on of the leading business men of the place; is a member of Smethport Lodge, No. 388, I.O.O.F.; also of Fisher Lodge, K.O.T.M. Mr. and Mrs. McCoy are members of the Episcopal Church at Smethport.
DAVAULT MARTIN, farmer, P.O. Kasson, is a son of John and Margaret (Bower) Martin, natives of Germany, who came to Philadelphia in 1835, and to McKean county in 1844, and settled at Teutonia. They were the parents of eight children, of whom Davault is the eldest son. He was born in Philadelphia June 30, 1836. He received his education in the common schools of McKean county, and spent his boyhood days upon the farm with his parents until twenty-one years of age. When he reached his majority, he began work for himself as a laborer, and August 24, 1864, he married Miss Elizabeth M. Hafner, a daughter of Christopher and Elizabeth (May) Hafner. His wife died April 11, 1878, leaving four children: John C., Edward D., Philip W. and Minnie E. Four years before marriage Mr. Martin purchased the farm on which he now resides, and on which he has erected a fine residence. Mr. Martin has served as jury commissioner for three years, and has held various township offices. He is a member of McKean Lodge, No. 388, F. & A.M., Bradford Chapter, No. 260, and Trinity Commandery, No. 58, K.T.
A. MELLANDER, merchant, Mount Jewett, is a native of Sweden, born April 1, 1852. He lived in his native country until sixteen years of age, when he came to the United States, and in 1871 located near the present site of Mount Jewett, working on a farm and in the lumber camps. In 1881 he started the first store in the town, and has been a successful merchant, owning the building where he carries on his business, and which is well adapted to his needs. He also owns a large saw-mill at Mount Jewett, and is extensively engaged in the lumber business. Mr. Mellander was married, February 13, 1882, to Miss Huldah W. Burling.
E. B. MOSSER, tanner, Mount Jewett, was born in Lehigh county, Penn., January 28, 1854. He was reared and educated in his native county, and learned the tanner's trade of his father. He remained at home, working with his father until he was twenty-six years old. In 1881 he moved to Huntingdon county, Penn., started a tannery, and in 1887 came to Mount Jewett and built a large tannery, and is now engaged in business on an extensive scale under the firm name of O.B. Mosser & Co. Mr. Mosser was married March 25, 1880, to Miss Emma A. Ripley, of Lock Haven, Penn., and they have three children: Frankie, Duart and Belmont.
J. H. NELSON, farmer, P.O. Mount Jewett, was born near Stockholm, Sweden, August 7, 1834, a son of Jacobson and Elizabeth (Anderson) Nelson. He was educated in the common schools, and remained at home with his parents until he attained his majority. He was married in October, 1862, to Miss Johanna, a daughter of Johannes and Annie (Hindrickson) Johnson, natives of Sweden. In 1873 they adopted Miss Mamie Nelson. Mr. Nelson came to Kane, McKean Co., Penn., in July, 1868, where he worked at his trade (that of a mason) for two years, when he settled in Mount Jewett, purchasing the farm where he now resides, and was one of the first three families who settled in Mount Jewett. He has been very successful in business, is a live, energetic business man, and one of the leading men of his town. Mr. and Mrs. Nelson are members of the Free Mission Church at Mount Jewett, Penn.
A.G. PHILLIPS, proprietor of meat market, Mount Jewett, is a native of Pennsylvania, born in Crawford county, May 4, 1856. He remained at home until eighteen years of age, when he began his life for himself, and worked on a salary until he was twenty-one. He then opened a meat market, which he carried on one year, and in 1878 he embarked in general mercantile business at Mount Alton. There he remained three years, and in 1881 moved to Kane, and thence, in 1884, to Mount Jewett, where he opened a meat market, which he still conducts, having one of the best places of the kind in the town. Mr. Phillips was married, January 5, 1876, to Miss Dora Willey, of Crawford county, Penn., and they have one child, Woodley.
SAMUEL PHILLIPS, merchant, Mount Jewett, is a native of Germany, born February 22, 1867, a son of Elisha and Shera Phillips, natives of Russian Poland. When he was twelve years old he came to the United States, and lived in New York City until 1885, when he came to McKean county, Penn., and lived in Bradford a year. When he began life for himself he found employment as a clerk in a dry goods store, and in 1886 he formed a partnership with B. Applestine, and opened a store in Mount Jewett. This partnership continued about three years, and in the spring of 1889, he bought Mr. Applestine's interest, and is now conducting the business alone. He is a young man of good business ability, and is one of the enterprising merchants of Mount Jewett.
JAMES RANDALL, Jr., farmer, P.O. Kasson, is a son of James and Annie (Fields) Randall, natives of New York State, who came to Hamlin township in 1854, and reared a family of five children, James being the third son. He was born on the farm, where he now lives, March 4, 1862, and when he was five years old his parents sold the farm and moved to Tioga county, Penn., where they remained one year, then returned to Hamlin township, and settled on Marvin creek. James Randall, Jr., the subject of these lines, spent his early days working for his parents, and in 1884, in company with his brother, Dan, bought back a part of the old farm, which their father had previously sold. April 26, 1886, Mr. Randall married Miss Sarah Richards, a daughter of Thomas and Catherine (McElwee) Richards, the former a native of England and the latter of Ireland, who were among the early settlers of Hamlin township. Mr. and Mrs. Randall are the parents of one child, Wallace J. In 1886 Mr. Randall bought his brother's interest in the farm, and he is now one of the most prosperous farmers of the township.
WILLIAM SMITH, farmer, P.O. Mount Jewett, was born December 15, 1838, a son of Lyman and Betsy (Lytle) Smith, the former a native of Massachusetts, and the latter of Indiana. The mother died when William was quite young, and the father married, for a second wife, Miss Polly Gleason, a daughter of Daniel and Ella (Houck) Gleason, of Allegany county, N.Y. William Smith spent his boyhood days with his parents in Yorkshire, Cattaraugus county, N.Y. In December, 1861, he enlisted in the United States service, and was assigned to Company K, One Hundred and Fifth Regiment New York Volunteers, serving three years. In 1866 he, in company with his father's family, came to Mount Jewett (then known as Howard Hill), and settled upon the farm which he now owns. In December, 1871, he married Miss Fannie A. Simmons, a daughter of Ensley and Irena (Gleason) Simmons, natives of New York State, who has borne him three children: Flora, Alice and Arthur. Mr. Smith is a member of Smethport Post, No. 347, G.A.R. He has held various township offices, and is one of the leading citizens. He and his wife are members of the Baptist Church at Smethport.
IRA WARFLE, farmer, P.O. Kasson, a son of Thomas and Phoebe R. (Dixon) Warfle, natives of New York State, was born in Broome county, N.Y., April 29, 1836. He was reared and educated in his native county, and when twenty-one years old came to Marvin Creek, Hamlin township, bringing his family from Steuben county, N.Y., in a sleigh drawn by oxen. He married, June 18, 1854, Miss Mary E., daughter of Joseph T. and Hulda (Harrington) Hicock, natives of Steuben county, N.Y., and they have had a family of ten children: Joseph B., Hulda A., Mary Enmina, Juan S. (deceased), Cora A. (wife of George Richards), Phoebe M. (wife of N.D. Hausler), Benson A., Millie G., Sadia A. and Henry N. residing at home. In 1856 Mr. Warfle bought a piece of wild land on Marvin creek, where he now lives. He has been successful in business, and now has a fine home. Prominent in local politics, he has held various township offices.
ALBERT WIBORG, merchant, of the firm of A. & O. Wiborg, Mount Jewett, is a son of C.G. and Lena Wiborg, natives of Sweden, who reared a family of five children, one of whom is deceased, and four still living, Albert, our subject, being the second son. He was born in Ostergotland, Sweden, June 12, 1867. His father immigrated to America in the spring of 1869, leaving his family in Sweden. He was working on railroad building for eight years, and in the spring of 1877 came to McKean county, Penn., where he bought some land located eight miles east of Kane, by the Smethport & Kane road, it being a great forest at that time, and the nearest railway at Kane, and not a house within two miles in the direction of Kane, and four miles to Howard Hill, now called Mount Jewett, where at that time there were only four farmers. As soon as he was settled down, he sent for his family, who came to McKean county, Penn., in the fall of 1877. The subject of these lines attended the common schools of his native country, and on arriving in McKean county he worked on the land with his father for eight years, helping to clear off the timber which had to be burned on the ground. His father and mother are still living on the farm, which is known as "Pleasant Farm," and is now yielding good crops. Here a fine house was erected. In the fall of 1885 Mr. Wiborg left the farm, to work for himself; then engaged in canvassing for a magazine for two years, and also worked in a shingle-mill. In 1888 he, in company with his cousin, O. Wiborg, embarked in mercantile business in Mount Jewett, where they rented a store building. In the spring of 1889 they purchased a lot and erected the store where they are now located and are doing a thriving business.