PAGenWeb McKean County, Pennsylvania
from History of the Counties of McKean,
Elk, Cameron, and Potter, Pennsylvania
J.H. Beers, Chicago, 1890
Foster Township Biographical Sketches
J. K. MITCHELL, of the firm of Mitchell Brothers, merchants and producers, Kendall Creek, was born in Chautauqua county, N.Y., April 1, 1852. His parents, H.G. and Lucy (Kidder) Mitchell, were natives of that county, and for a number of years engaged in farming, the father also operating a grist- and saw-mill. In 1876 they moved to McKean county, Penn., and located at Kendall Creek, where the wife and mother died in June, 1877. H.G. Mitchell engaged in the grocery business, on the present site of the American House, and associated his sons with him, under the firm name of H.G. Mitchell & Sons. Their trade increased from $5 to $500 per day inside of two years. He is a member of the Baptist Church, and an active worker in the Republican party. He was appointed the first postmaster of Kendall Creek, in May, 1876, and served until 1886. In 1887 he moved to Richburgh, N.Y., where he is now engaged in mercantile business. Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. H.G. Mitchell: J.K., G.W. and Minnie. Our subject was reared in Chautauqua county, N.Y., and educated at the Jamestown Union School and Collegiate Institute. Since the retirement of his father, he and his brother, G.W., have conducted their general mercantile business under the firm name of Mitchell Brothers. They also operate several oil wells. In 1873 J.K. Mitchell married Miss Cora, daughter of J.C. Smith, formerly of Chautuaqua county, N.Y., now a merchant of Kendall Creek, and they have one child, Jeanie. Mr. Mitchell is identified with the Republican party; is a member of Union Lodge, No. 334, A. & F.M., of Bradford, and the E.A.U. He and his family attend the Presbyterian Church.