PAGenWeb McKean County, Pennsylvania
from History of the Counties of McKean,
Elk, Cameron, and Potter, Pennsylvania
J.H. Beers, Chicago, 1890
Eldred Township & Borough of Eldred Biographical Sketches
was born in Ridgeville township, Lorain Co., Ohio, March 25, 1842, a son of Milo C. and Emily (Lathrop) Alford. When he was three years of age his parents settled in Crawford county, Penn., where they lived for six years; then removed to Allegany county, N. ,Y., where he was reared and received a common-school education. He started in life for himself when sixteen years of age as a stationary engineer, which he followed seven years. He then followed the business of a sawyer for one year, and afterward, in 1865, started as a jabber in manufacturing lumber by the thousand feet, at which he continued three years. In the fall of 1866 he located at State Line Mills, McKean Co., Penn., and was postmaster while there. From the spring of 1867 to the fall of 1869 he operated the State Line Lumber-Mill for Calvin T. Chamberlin, of Cuba. N. Y., with credit to himself and to the satisfaction of his employer. In the fall of 1869 he bought a lumber-mill in Eldred township, and began the manufacture of lumber on his own account. The following year he erected another mill within forty rods of the first. In 1871 he formed a partnership with E. F. Johnson, of Oramel, N. Y., which included the above business, and which existed until the fall of 1874. In the fall of 1877 he embarked in the oil business as a producer in the Bradford field, with which he has since been connected; has been interested in twenty producing wells in the Bradford field, and is now sole owner of seven producing wells. Late in the fall of 1879 he began the construction of a large saw-mill at Barnum, Cattaraugus Co., N. Y., on a contract with West on Bros., of Weston's Mills, Cattaraugus Co., N. Y., and subsequently entered into partnership with A. R. Curtiss, under the firm name of Alford & Curtiss, and conducted an extensive lumber and mercantile business for about three years. In 1883 he engaged in the manufacture of explosives used for all kinds of blasting purposes, with J. W. Dean, under the firm name of Alford & Dean, which partnership existed until July, 1888, when Mr. Alford purchased his partner's interest, and is still conducting a successful business in that line. Mr. Alford is a prominent and representative citizen of Eldred. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, lodge, chapter, council and commandery, and of the A. A. 0., Nobles of the Mystic Shrine of Ismailia Temple, Buffalo, N. Y. Politically he is a Republican. He has been married twice. First, in 1 863. to Nancy M., daughter of Peter and Annis (Wilson) McIntosh, of near Oramel, N. Y. She died in Apra, 1882, and in June, 1884, he married Mary E. Irish, daughter of George Irish, of the town of Genesee, N. Y. Her father was a surveyor and an early settler on Dodge's creek, AIlegany county, N. Y.
THOMAS BARKAS, farmer, P, O. Eldred, was born in Newcastle-on-Tyne, England, March 18, 1827, a son of Gabriel and Mary (Lawson) Barkas. He was reared in the Parish of St. John, Northumberland, and in June, 1847, Married Jane, daughter of Thomas and Hannah Loan, of Haltwhistle. England, by whom he had eleven children, four of whom are living: William, Hannah (Mrs. David Wood), Thomas and Jane (Mrs. Frank Elliott), Mr. Barkas, with his family, came to America in 1853, locating in Erie county, N. Y., and remained in the vicinity of Buffalo four years, working at anything be could get to do. In February, 1857, he settled in Eldred, this county, and purchased 100 acres of land (to which he has since added twenty-five acres by purchases), eighty acres of which he has cleared and improved himself, and where he has since resided. He was in the war of the Rebellion, enlisting in 1864, in Company K, Seventh New York Heavy Artillery, and was honorably discharged from the service in June. 1865. Mr. Barkas may be considered one of the pioneer farmers of Eldred, as well as a respected citizen. Politically he is a Republican.
A. D. GOULD, editor and proprietor of the Eldred Eagle, was born at . Utica, N. Y., July 15, 1856, a son of C. B. and Mary (Scranton) Gould. His maternal grandfather, Lyman Scranton, was a native of Utica, an architect and builder, and with John Devereaux built the original St. Bonaventure College in Allegany, Cattaraugas Co., N. Y. A. D. Gould was reared in Utica, Homer and Binghamton, N. Y., and Emporium, Penn., and was educated at the academies of Homer and Franklinville, N. Y. In the spring of 1876 he began the study of law with Newton & Green, of Emporium, Penn., at which he continued until the fan of 1877. Prior to that he learned the printer's trade with his father, and on account of the latter being burned out he was compelled to resume the printing business. He started a job-office in Tarport in the spring of 1878. The same year Eldred came into prominence as an oil center, and in the summer of that year he removed to that point, and established the Eldred Eagle, which he has since successfully conducted. He married, September 4, 1883, Emma, daughter of John D. Schwab, of Utica, N. Y., and they have one son, Carl D. Mr. Gould is a member of the Masonic fraternity and Knights of Pythias. Politically he is a Republican.