PAGenWeb McKean County, Pennsylvania
from History of the Counties of McKean,
Elk, Cameron, and Potter, Pennsylvania
J.H. Beers, Chicago, 1890
Bradford Township & the City of Bradford Biographical Sketches
ENOS PARSONS, dealer in real estate, one of Bradford's early settlers, was
born in Cortland county, N. Y., April 22, 1818, the fifth of ten children of
Reuben and Matilda (Morton) Parsons. His early life was spent on his father's
farm, and in attending the district school, later becoming a student at Homer
College. After leaving school he invested a little money in clocks, which he
sold in the country districts, being employed in this way during the Harrison
campaign of 1840. In 1846 he came to McKean county, and in 1847 to Bradford,
where for eight years he carried on the" Bradford Hotel He then engaged in
mercantile business, also in real estate, and was one of the prime movers in the
building of the street car line from Bradford to Tarport, of which he now owns
the most of the stock, his son, Newell B., being superintendent. He is one of
the largest real estate owners in the city, and now de votes the most of his
attention to that business. Mr. Parsons was married in 1849 to Mary Blair, and
they have three children: Newell B., Charles and Grace. Mrs. Parsons is a member
of the Presbyterian Church. In politics Mr. Parsons is a Republican, and in 1858
he served McKean county as treasurer. .
HENRY SAALFIELD, proprietor of the" Arlington Hotel," Bradford, was born in
Germany, December 8, 1854, a son of . John C. and Margaret S. (Plogfhoft)
Saalfield, also natives of Germany. He left his native country for the United
States in 1870, landing in New York City, and soon after removed to Titusville,
Penn., where for a time he clerked in the" American House." He then went to
Petrolia, Butler county, where he engaged in business for himself. In 1872 he
moved to Lancaster, Penn. , thence to Armstrong county, same State, and then
again to Petrolia, where he conducted the "Griffin House" a time. In 1878 he
formed a partnership with George R. Griffin in the production of oil, which he
has since continued, and they are also partners in the hotel business, Mr.
Griffin having charge of the oil interests and Mr. Saalfield Of the hotel. Mr.
Saal:field was married, in 1883, to 3Iary, daughter of James H. Lewis of
Meadville, and they had three children: John S., Florence M., and Charles H.
(who died at the age of one year). Mrs. Saaltield is a member of the
Presbyterian Church. Mr. Saalfield in politics is a Republican. He is a member
of the Masonic fraternity, and bas taken the thirtysecond degree.