PAGenWeb McKean County, Pennsylvania
from History of the Counties of McKean,
Elk, Cameron, and Potter, Pennsylvania
J.H. Beers, Chicago, 1890
Bradford Township & the City of Bradford Biographical Sketches
G. GARDELLA., restaurateur, Bradford, is the proprietor of a first-class
fruit and confectionery establishment. He started in business in Bradford in
1878 in a small way, has been successful and now carries a good stock, and
J. K. HAFFEY, deceased, was born in County Armagh, Ireland, April 27, 1830,
and moved to Canada with his parents in 1844, He attended the colleges of
Ireland, and afterward his own efforts procured him a fine education. At an
early age he came to the United States, and for a time taught in the public
schools of New York State. He afterward was ordained a minister: and in 1851 was
given charge of the Bradford Baptist Church. He soon resigned the charge, and
accepted the agency of the American Bible Union Society, which position he held
for many years. In 1852 he was united in marriage with Miss Diantha E. DeGolier,
and took up his residence on a farm in Bradford township, following the
occupation of a surveyor, geologist, clerk, etc. In 1861 he enlisted under Col.
Kane in the Forty-second Bucktail Regiment, Company I, and held the position of
sergeant. After serving two years his health failed, during the Seven Days fight
near Richmond, and he was honorably discharged. He was afterward appointed major
by Gov. Hartranft, and later promoted to colonel and aid-decamp. After the close
of the war he spent ten years in Philadelphia and New Jersey. He was a stanch
Republican; was a notary for many years. He died November 7, 1881. His widow
still survives him and lives on the homestead farm in Bradford township; also
three children, viz.: George M. (of Colorado, who married Miss Maggie Higgins),
John Nathan (brakeman on the Erie Railroad), and Zillah (now teaching). Mrs.
Haffey's parents were Nathan DeGolier, who was born near Saratoga, N. Y., March
25, 1801, and Rhoda Ackley, who was born in Addison county, Vt., January 8,
1801. About 1831 they came to McKean county, Penn., and took up a tract of land
in Bradford township. He was a millwright by trade, and erected the first saw
and grist-mill at DeGolier, which was named in honor of him. He was also the
first postmaster of the place. He was a supporter of the Republican party, and a
prominent member of the Presbyterian Church. He died December 2, 1871, and his
wife July 11, 1874. Three children were born to their union: Hannah Maria (wife
of Truman Sherman, of Bradford township), Diantha E. (now Mrs. Haffey), and
James Nelson (who died February 14, 1878).
MAYNARD INGALSBY, farmer, P. O. Custer City, was born in Steuben county, N.
Y., in 1827, a son of John and Amanda (Chapin) Ingalsby. His father was born at
Black River, New York State, his mother in Massachusetts. In 1843 they moved to
McKean county, Penn., and located on the present farm of Maynard Ingalsby, in
Bradford township, where they lived and died. The father took an active part in
politics, and filled various township offices. He was a deacon in the Bradford
Congregational Church for many years, and died April 18, 1865; his widow died in
1866. Maynard Ingalsby moved from Steuben county, N. Y., to Warren county,
Penn., when about two years of age, and since coming to McKean county has lived
on his present farm. In 1854 he married Miss Melinda, daughter of Edward
Freeman, of Bradford township, and they have one child, Maynard Ingalsby, Jr.,
who is living with his father and studying for the ministry. He married Miss
Minnie Wright, of Potter county, Penn. Mr. Ingalsby, Sr.. is Republican in
politics, with Prohibition proclivities. He has filled the office of assessor,
auditor, etc. He is one of the trustees and is superintendent of the
Sunday-school in the DeGolier United Brethren Church. In 1861 he enlisted in
Battery H, Independent Pennsylvania Light Artillery, and served until the close
of the war; is now a member of Bradford Post, No. 141, G. A. R.
DAVID KIRK, president of the McCalmont Oil Company, Bradford, has been
engaged in the oil business since 1860, when he drilled a well at. Franklin, and
for two years devoted his attention to the production of oil. In 1862 be built.
a refinery, which he conducted eight years, and also in the meantime opened the
first yard for The storage of oil. In 1870 his business was mined by the
Standard Oil Company, and since then he has been engaged in the development of
oil wells. In 1880 he organized the company he now represents, which operates
extensively in the lower oil fields. Mr. Kirk was born in Scotland, February 18,
1831, a son of Arthur and Marion (Smith) Kirk, who came to America in 1839, and
settled in Pittsburgh, Penn., where they reared a family of six sons and six
daughters, David being the fourth child. Early in life he was put to work in a
cotton factory, and later learned the carpenter's trade. but followed it only a
short time, when he went to Allegheny City, where he found employment in a
grocery. In 1836 be embarked in business for himself, continuing it until 1860.
Mr. Kirk has always taken an interest in the community in which he lives, and
while in Pittsburgh was nominated for congress by the Greenback party, but was
defeated by a small majority, although he ran 5,000 votes ahead of his ticket.
In 1880 he was nominated by the Greenback and Democratic parties to represent
the Sixteenth Congessional District in congress, but was defeated by 500 votes.
In politics Mr. Kirk is now a Republican. He was married in 1856 to Miss Ellen
Baldwin, a native of Allegheny City, Penn., and to them were born eight
children, four sons and four daughters: W.M Kirk, Charles Kirk, Mrs. Mary Bell
Davidson, Mrs. Ella Bovard, Elizabeth Kirk, David Kirk, Jr., Clara Kirk and
Albert E. Kirk. Mrs. Kirk died in 1885.