PAGenWeb McKean County, Pennsylvania
from History of the Counties of McKean,
Elk, Cameron, and Potter, Pennsylvania
J.H. Beers, Chicago, 1890
Bradford Township & the City of Bradford Biographical Sketches
JAMES L. ADAMS, manager of the Bradford Beef Company, Bradford, was born in
Ossian, Livingston Co., N. Y., October 31,1847, a son of Leonard and Amy
(Crocker) Adams. He left school and served as private in the Union army, Second
Army Corps, Third Brigade, Third Division, One Hundred and Twentieth New York
State Regiment, Company I, from September 2, 1864, until The end of the war; was
discharged June 15, 1865, at Kingston, N. Y, when be returned to school and
graduated from the Rushford Academy, Allegany county, N. Y., in 1865; then
attended Eastman's commercial school of . Poughkeepsie, N. Y., and graduated in
March, 1866, and then was employed for a time as bookkeeper, when he began the
manufacture of cheese, which he continued until 1871. He then sold out his
business and moved to McKean -county, Penn., where he was employed as
superintendent and manager of the cheese factory at Kendall. In 1874 he accepted
a position. as bookkeeper at Bradford, Which he held until 1886, When he became
manager of the Bradford Beef Company, which was established by Swift & Co., of
Chicago, Ill., in 1883. The business of the company has doubled since Mr. Adams
became its manager, and they now sell three car loads of beef per week at
Bradford. Mr. Adams was married July 4, 1870, to Miss Emma M. Tyler, of
Farmersville, N. Y., and they have two children: Myrtie M. and Carrie L. In
politics Mr. Adams is independent. He is a member of the Knights of St. John and
Malta and the Knights of Pythias. The parents of Mr. Adams are native-born
Americans of English descent; those of Mrs. Adams, James and Malona (Clark)
Tyler, are also native-born Americans, and reside at Farmersville, N. Y., where
the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Adams was solemnized. Although regular attendants
at church, they are not members of any congregation.
HARRIS ANSEL CANFIELD, M. D., Bradford, Penn., was born May 1, 185~, in Chautauqua county, N. Y., son of Lewis and Harriet (Huling) Canfield. He early chose the profession of medicine, and after completing a highschool course, began his medical studies. He spent a few months at Sherman, Chautauqua Co., N. Y., with Drs. Osborne & Ames; then entered the Michigan University at Ann Arbor, took one course there, one course at Rush Medical College, Chicago, Ill, returned to Ann Arbor and graduated from the medical department, University of Michigan. in 1877. He then went to Dayton, Cattaraugus Co., N. Y.. and began practice; staid there a few months, when the oil excitement broke out in McKean county, Penn.. and the Doctor located in the village of Gillmor, McKean county, where he had an extensive and lucrative practice. He was married March 12, 1879, to Miss Flora C., daughter of Wesley and Lavinia (McArthur) Flint. They have at present two children: Clyde C. and Clair C., aged nine and seven years. The Doctor's parents were both born in New York State. and as far as known of purely. Anglo-Saxon or Yankee extraction. Mrs. Canfield's father was of same, but her mother was of Scotch extraction. The Doctor's family are not members of any church. The parents of both were of the Baptist faith. In 1887 the Doctor took a course of lectures at the College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York City, and removed to Bradford, McKean Co., Penn., in 1889, where, his record as a successful physician having preceded him, he is now established in a good practice. He is a prominent member of the McKean County Medical Society, and was one of the founders of that society. He is also a member of the Masonic and several other fraternal societies. In politics Dr. Canfield has always been a stanch Republican.
C. L. CASTERLINE, dealer in torpedoes and oil producer, Bradford, was born in Allegany county, N. Y.. a son of G. S. and Marietta (Moorehouse) Casterline, of German and English descent, respectively, and both deceased. He was reared a farmer, but when he started in life for himself he followed teaming. In 1877 he came to Bradford, embarking in the coal business, and in 1879 began dealing in torpedoes; he also became an oil producer, and has since had the entire oversight of all his interests. He also, in 1886, became interested in a livery stable at Bradford, Penn., which is superintended by his partner, C. S. Corthell; he also engaged in the same business the following spring, at Findlay, Ohio, having several men in his employ at Findlay, and also at Bradford. Mr Casterline has made his own way in the world, and from a small beginning has become one of the leading citizens of Bradford. He is a Republican in politics. He is also a member of the Knights of Pythias.
WILLIAM CHAMBERS, one of the worthy representative citizens of Bradford, was born in Erie county, Penn., November 10, 1839, a son of David and Mabel (Nash) Chambers, natives of Pennsylvania and of Irish descent. His grandfather located in Erie county in an early day, buying, in company with his brother, several hundred acres of land; and his son David (father of the subject of this sketch) became heir to a part of the property, Here David Chambers died in 1878. He had been twice married, and had a family of ten children, William being a son by the first marriage. William Chambers was reared on his father's farm, where he was taught lessons of thrift and self dependence. When he commenced for himself he embarked in the grocery business, which he continued in until 1868, when he sold out and moved to the lower oil country, where he was employed two years. In 1877 he came to McKean county, where he bought property and began drilling wells for himself, in which he has met with good success. On October 20, 1872, Mr. Chambers married Harriet E. Burgess, a native of Erie county,
Penn., daughter of L. A. and Clemanda (Hitchcock) Burgess. In politics ~Ir. Chambers is a Prohibitionist, and he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mrs. Chamberr is an active member of the W. C. T. U., and is president of the county organization; in 1888 she was a delegate to the national convention at New York.
CAPT. W. B. CHAPMAN, attorney at law, Bradford, is one of the oldest practicing lawyers of the bar of McKean county. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio, October 8, 1826, the second of five children of Daniel S. and Margaret (Burt) Chapman. His ancestors were of English and French origin. His paternal grandfather was in the war of the Revolution, and his father in the war of 1812. The latter was wounded at the battle of Lundy's Lane, but lived to the advanced age of eighty-six years, and died May 22, 1882. W. B. Chapman was reared and educated in Ashtabula county, Ohio, and graduated from the academy at Conneaut in 1846. He began the study of law in the office of Gen. Brewster Randall, at Conneaut, and was admitted to the bar at Columbus, Ohio, in February, 1852, to practice in the supreme courts. He soon won a good clientage, which he held until the breaking out of the Rebellion, when, in July, 1861, he enlisted in the Second Ohio Light Artillery and when the battery was organized was elected first lieutenant, being afterward promoted to captain. He was wounded at the battle of Pea Ridge, which incapacitated him from further service, and caused his resignation and return home. On his recovery he again took up The practice of law, which he continued in Ohio until 1873, when he came to Pennsylvania, and in 1877 located in Bradford, where he now has a large practice. Mr. Chapman was married October 14, 1847, to Cynthia Olds, a native of Conneaut, Ohio, daughter of Ezekiel Olds. She is one of a family of eight children, two boys and six girls, all of whom are living, the youngest being fifty-six years old, and in 1888 all met together and had a family picture taken. Mr. and Mrs. Chapman have five children: Sarah M. (wife of Charles Howard, of Conneaut, Ohio), Phoebe, wife of S. A. Holbrook, of Bradford), Henry W. (of New York City), John B. (an attorney, of Bradford) and Will B. (a student in his father's office). Mr. Chapman was reared in the Whig school of politics, but since its organization has affiliated with the Republican party, and has .been an active worker in its ranks. He is a strong advocate of temperance, but has always opposed the third party movement. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, both of lodge and chapter.
THOMAS CHATTLE, proprietor of the "Hotel Florence,'" also interested in the production of petroleum at Bradford, Penn., was born in Orange county, N. Y., October 24, 1819, a son of Thomas and Nancy (Pike) Chattle, who were natives of New England. His father was a physician, who practiced many years in the State of New York, and died in 1824, leaving six children, or whom Thomas is the youngest son. Thomas Chattle's first business venture was as a peddler, traveling with a team and selling goods at wholesale. In 1860 he removed to Pennsylvania, and embarked. in the lumber business, also conducting a grist-mill in McKean county. He sold his milling interests in 1884,. and has since given his attention to his oil interests and to carrying on his hotel in Bradford. Mr. Chattle was married in 1844 to Adaline Corwin, who died in 1855, leaving four children: Augusta (wife of G. Ewen), Garafalia (wife of William A. Harris, of Brooklyn, N. Y.), Amelia R. (wife of W. H. Rogers) and Lulu (since deceased). In 1857 Mr. Chattle married Julia F. Corwin, a sister of his first wife, and she died in 1887; their only son, Harvey C., is a machinist in Bradford. Mr. Chattle is a member of the Presbyterian Church. In politics he is a Republican.
DR. H. C. CHESNEY, Custer City, was born in Lawrence county, Penn., in 1862, a son of John and Catherine (Stoner) Chesney, natives of that county,. where They are still residing, engaged in farming. He received his education at the public schools and Westmoreland College, read medicine with Dr. J. M. Balph, of Rose Point, Lawrence county, and attended lectures at the Medical College of Columbus, Ohio, graduating from Fort Wayne Medical College in 1883. Dr. Chesney first began to practice at North Liberty, Mercer Co.,. Penn., and in 1885 came to Custer City, where he bas since enjoyed an extensive practice. The Doctor is also a professional druggist, and conducts a well equipped drug store. He is a member of McKean County Medical Association and of the Knights of the Maccabees, Columbian League; is identified with the Republican party. and has served as township clerk two years.
CAPT. ALFRED W. COBURN, oil producer, Bradford, and a pioneer in the oil business in Pennsylvania, has operated in several fields and has been extensively engaged in both The production and refining of oil. He bas seen The rise and fall of several towns and cities, and has also seen fortunes made and lost. He has experienced all the varied fortunes of an oil speculator; has seen the time when his check for $100,000 would be honored whereever he was known, and then has had his entire fortune swept away. His early life was spent on the water, and during the war of the Rebellion he was a member of an independent company from Titusville, Penn. From 1870 to 1876 he was oil inspector, and in 1876 he became a member of the Oil Exchange at Titusville. In 1878 he removed to Bradford, where for a time he represented the Farrar & Trefts Manufacturing Company; also served one year as superintendent of the Telephone Company, and three years as tax collector. In 1885 he moved to Erie City, Penn., and in 1886 was injured in an accident on the Nickle-Plate Railroad, for which he received $10,000 damages. Capt. Coburn was born in Louisville, Ky., in January, 1838, a son of Henry R. and Eliza (Fosdick) Coburn. He has a family tree that traces his ancestry in the United States to 1636. He was married in 1860 to Huldah Paine, a native of Massachusetts, daughter of Joseph P. Paine, and they have one daughter. Millie C. Mrs. Coburn is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
ALLAN COCHRAN, oil producer, Bradford, was born in Glasgow, Scotland, January 1, 1820, a son of John and Grace (Lester) Cochran, former of whom was a physician in Scotland. Allan was the eldest of three children. He learned the boiler-makers' trade after coming to America in 1849, and worked at his trade in New York State until 1865, when he removed to the oil country of Pennsylvania, and lived in Venango county six years. He then bought property, and has been in business for himself, owning at present 200 producing wells. In 1882 he removed to Bradford with the intention of making that his home. He has a neat and substantial residence, is well to do, and his declining years may be spent free from the anxiety and cares of business. He is an unassuming, genial gentleman, and has many friends who deem it a pleasure to spend their spare time in his company. Mr. Cochran was married in Glasgow, Scotland, in 1847, to Miss Elizabeth Caggie, a native of Scotland, daughter of Allan and Jean. (Keir) Caggie, and they have six children: John, Grace (wife of Samuel Kerr), Jean (wife of Edward Holden), Lizzie (wife of E. E. Northup), Allan and William. Mr. and Mrs. Cochran are members of the Presbyterian Church. In politics he is a Republican. He was a crockery merchant in Glasgow, Scotland, until he came to America.
C. P. CODY, of the firm of C. P. Cody & Bro., general insurance agents,
Bradford, was born in Mount Elgin, Canada West (now Ontario), July 19, 1854, a son of Charles G. and Abigail E. Cody. He attended Woodstock Canadian Literary Institute for some time, and after leaving school came to the United States, first going to Virginia, and thence to Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, and lastly Pennsylvania. He located in Bradford in 1878, embarking in his present business in 1882, and in 1886 his brother E. V. became associated with him. They represent eighteen leading companies, foreign and domestic, embracing fire, accident and life insurance. They are also engaged in the real estate business, E. V. Cody being treasurer of the Petroleum Real Estate Company. Mr. C. P. Cody was married in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1882, to Ella, daughter of Elias and Julina Ede. He is a member of the Baptist and his wife of the Episcopal Church. In politics he affiliates with the Prohibition party, his brother being a Republican. He is secretary of the Bradford Board of Trade and treasurer of the Automatic Car Brake Company.
E. V. CODY was born at Mount Elgin, Ontario,' Canada, April 30, 1862, a son of Charles G. and Abigail E. Cody. About 1877 he removed with his parents to London, Ontario, and there attended the London Collegiate Institute. In 1882 he came to the United States, locating in Bradford, Penn. For four years he was librarian of the Bradford Library Association. In January, 1886, he became associated with his brother, C. P. Cody, in the insurance business.
S. G. COFFIN, one of the successful and enterprising business men of Bradford, was born in New Hampshire October 17, 1847, the only son of J. M. and Dorothy S. (Gale) Coffin, also natives of New Hampshire, of English descent, former of whom died in his native State in 1887. S. G. Coffin was given good educational advantages, and when he embarked in business for himself went to Brady's Run, Penn., where he opened a flour and feed store, continuing there eighteen months, when he sold out and went to Butler county, where he was in the livery business till 188O, when he again sold out, and, coming to Bradford, engaged in the same business. He is a good business man, and has been successful in his operations. He owns two livery and sale stables in the city and never has less than twenty-five horses, often fifty. He does a general livery business, and also buys, sells and ships horses on a large scale. He is also quite extensively engaged in the oil business. Mr. Coffin was married in Armstrong county. Penn., June 24, 1874, to F. M. Fleming, daughter of A. W. Fleming, and they have three children: Clandie D., George Ralph and Charles J. In politics Mr. Coffin is a Republican. He is ~ member of the A. O. U. W., the Knights of Honor, and several benevolent orders.
PHILIP W. CROAK, general foreman in the Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburgh Railroad shops at Bradford, has held this position since 1888. He learned the machinist's trade in his youth at Renovo, Penn., and from 1884 to 1886 he was foreman of the Pennsylvania Railroad shops at that place; in the latter year he was transferred to Erie City, and in 1888 came to Bradford. He now has about 130 men under his supervision and there are about forty-five engines to be kept in repair at the shops in Bradford. He is a thorough machinist and understands every detail of his work. Mr. Croak was born in Bradford county, Penn., in March, 1852, a son of Edward and Honora (Mulqueen) Croak, natives of Ireland. He was married in March, 1877, to Miss Mary Jones, a native of Renovo, Penn., of German descent, daughter of David Jones, and they have eight children: William, Edward, Viola, Bessie. "Winlan, Philip, Thomas and Sarah. Mr. Croak and his wife are members of. the Catholic Church. In politics he is a Democrat.
LEVI M. CROSS, P. O. Kendall Creek, was born in Carrollton, Cattaraugus Co., N. Y., August 6, 1841, and is a son of Levi and Eliza (Conklin) Cross, natives of New York and Pennsylvania, respectively. He was reared in Bradford, McKean Co., Penn., from three years of age, and received a common-school education. At the breaking out of the civil war he was engaged in farming and lumbering, but in August, 1862, he enlisted in Company H, Fifteenth New York Volunteers, and served nine months, when he was discharged on account of disability. In April, 1864, Mr. Cross re-enlisted in Company E, Fifty-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was wounded at Chapin Farm, near Richmond, Va., September 29, 1864. As a result of this wound he lost his left leg at the thigh, and was honorably discharged from the service in March, 1865. Since the war he has made his home in Bradford, this county, and has been engaged in teaming and the oil business. Mr. Cross married, March 21, 1867, Fannie, daughter of David and Amanda (Reynolds) Cornelius, of Bradford, and has two children: Leda M. and Autie V. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and G. A. R., and politically is a Republican. .
E. J. CROSS, grocer, Bradford, was born at Sandy Hill, Washington Co., N. Y., August 2, 1850, a son of Stephen Oscar and Ruby Ann (Conrey) Cross, natives of New York, and of English and Irish descent. The father was a prominent farmer, and during the war was a United States marshal; after the war he was appointed United States revenue collector. The mother was a relative of Gen. Putnam, the hero of Bunker Hill. Mr. Cross prepared for college at Fort Edward Institute, and then took a course at Eastman's Business College, Paterson, N. J., from which he graduated in 1873. In 1876 he went to Butler county, Penn., where he carried on a general mercantile business foal' years, and in 1880 removed to Bradford, where for three years he carried on a wholesale and retail vegetable market. He then embarked in the flour and feed business, to which he has since added groceries. He now owns his place of business, and also a small farm, which is under the supervision of William Tenney, a practical gardener, and is cultivated as a vegetable garden. Mr. Cross was married September 26, 1876, to Alice E. Keith, daughter of Alonzo A. and Alvina (Carter) Keith. and they have three child1en: Oscar R.. Alice E. and Ruby E. Mrs. Cross is a member of the Baptist Church. In politics Mr. Cross is a Republican.
H. G. CUTTING, farmer, fine stock raiser and oil producer. Bradford, was born in St. Lawrence county, N. Y., January 22,1838, a son of D. H. and Jane H. (Barrows) Cutting, former of whom is still living in New York, and is now eighty-six years old. Mr. Cutting was reared on his father's farm, remaining in his native county until 1862, when he came to Pennsylvania, and worked about the oil wells. In 1876 he bought and drilled several wells, and in 1883 purchased 135 acres of land, which he has cultivated; is also extensively engaged in stock raising, making a specialty of horses and cattle, and dealing only in the finest breeds. He devotes his attention to his farm and stock, hiring an overseer for his wells. of which he owns fourteen. Mr. Cutting was married in 1860, to Ellen Blanchard, who died in 1875, leaving three children: Bertha, Blanchard and Algernon. The parents of Mrs. Ellen Cutting were named Orville and Almeda (Newman) Blanchard. In 1877 Mr. Cutting married Miss Amy Gunn, daughter of William. and Isabella Harriet (Pond) Gunn, the former a Canadian, of Scotch descent, and the latter an American, of English extraction. They have three children: Hawley G., Malcomb J. and William F. Mrs. Cutting is a member of the Episcopal Church. In politics Mr. Cutting is a Republican. He is a member of the F. & A. M. and the A. O. U. W.
F. W. DAVIS, president of the First National Bank, Bradford, was how near the city of Bradford, Penn., June 8, 1844, the eldest of four children of R. W. and Sarah C. (Moore) Davis, former a native of Vermont, and latter of New York, of English descent. His father was a cabinet-maker by trade, which he followed in Chautauqua county, N. Y., until his removal to Bradford in 1842. where he continued the business until his death in 1876. F. W. Davis attended the common schools until seventeen years of age, at which time the war broke out, and in November, 1861, he enlisted in Company E, Fifty-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and rendered faithful service until the close of the war, at which time he held the rank of first lieutenant. He was with his regiment in all its battles and skirmishes. They were on detailed duty the greater part of the time fighting bushwhackers, and were present at the capture of Fort Harrison, below Richmond. After his return home Mr. Davis was employed as clerk and bookkeeper, taking a regular course at Eastman's Business College. and in 1870 he embarked in the drug business, which he continued until 1878. When the First National Bank or Bradford was organized be became one of The stockholders and a director; in 1887 he was elected vice-president, and in 1888 president. He has been one of the leading citizens of Bradford, and has built one of the best blocks in the city; is owner of considerable real estate, having devoted a portion of his time to that business. Mr. Davis was married in 1868 to Albina T. Sanford, daughter of George Sanford, of Bradford, and they have one child, Sarah G. Mrs. Davis and her daughter are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In politics Mr. Davis is a Democrat, and he is a member of Union Lodge No. 334, F. &A. M.
F. G. DAVIS, of the firm of Brennan & Davis, jewelers and booksellers, Bradford, is one of the leading business men of the city, where he has spent his life. He became established in his present business in 1883, and as success came to the firm they have gradually increased their stock until it is now unexcelled in variety and quality in the city. Mr. Davis was born in Bradford, McKean Co., Penn., August 8, 1851, a son of R. W. and Sarah (Moore) Davis. He was the youngest of three children, and is a brother of F. W. Davis, president of the Bradford National Bank. He was married at Fredonia, N. Y., in 1876, to Eva Cowdrey, who died in 1882. Mr. Davis has one son, Clyde H. Davis.
P. H. DAVITT, proprietor of bottling works, Bradford, is a native of Ireland, born March 14, 1854, a son of John and Nora (Rush) Davitt. In 1866 he came to America with his parents, who settled in Erie county, N. Y., where the father worked at the stone masons' and plasterers' trades, and later became a contractor and builder. In 1878 the subject of our sketch came to Bradford, soon after opened his bottling works, and has built up a good trade in his line. Mr. Davitt was married in New York in 1889 to Miss Ella J.. daughter of John Considine. Mr. and Mrs. Davitt are members of the Catholic Church and he is a member of the Catholic Benevolent Association. He is a Democrat in politics, and has served as a member of the select council.
ALBERT DEGOLIER, oil producer, Bradford, was born in Keating township, McKean Co., Penn., June 4, 1831, a son of Abel and Elizabeth (Overhiser) DeGolier, natives of Western New York and descendants of the earliest settler~, the former of French ancestry and the latter of English and Mohawk Dutch. The father moved to McKean county in 1830 and died in 1833 at Smethport, when only thirty-one years old. The mother's health failing. she was obliged to give over her children to the care of others. Albert found a home with Warren Edson, who gave him the benefit of the common schools, and as he grew older he assisted in the work of the farm. He started in life for himself as a farmer, and in 1860 went to Iowa, where he remained six years. In 1866 he returned to McKean county, and embarked in general mercantile trade, which he continued ten years, and in 1876 became interested in the production of oil. Mr. DeGolier was married October 17, 1853, to Miss Eleanor, daughter of Absalom and Elizabeth (Faloon) Hutchinson, natives of Ireland, who came to McKean county in 1832. Mr. and Mrs. DeGolier have had eleven children, seven of whom are living: Charles Fremont, Elmer A., Spencer M., Elizabeth A., Mary A. (Mrs. J. L. Barrett), Margaret L. and Eleanor J. Emma E., Ella O. and John died in infancy; the second son~ Albert E., died March 15, 1886. Politically Mr. DeGolier is a Republican. He has served as a member of the school board and also of the common council of Bradford.
D. DEGOLIER, gardener, P. O. Bradford, was born in Prattsburgh, Steuben Co., N. Y., July 16, 1820. a son of Samuel and Esther (Olds) DeGo1ier, natives of Saratoga county, N. Y., and Vermont, respectively. In 1831 Samuel. James, Abel and Nathan DeGolier came to McKean county, and took up land in Bradford township, which is now known as DeGolier settlement or station. James was in the war of 1812; Samuel was an active business man,
and filled various offices in Bradford township, and was a prominent member of the Baptist Church. He died in 1844. His widow married Phineas Hall and died in 1870. Three of the children of Samuel and Esther DeGolier are yet living: R. A., of Northport, Mich.; Esther~ wife of Daniel Dikeman, of Bradford township, and the subject of this sketch. D. DeGolier married, in 1842, Miss Dersy C., daughter of Simeon Morris, of Bradford township. She died in 1881, leaving three children: Sylvester B., living at home; Maurice, of Wisconsin; and W. F., of Florida. Mr. DeGolier was next married to Mrs. Lavinda E. Emery, of Erie county, N. Y. He was engaged in the mercantile business at Bradford for :five years, and, with this exception, he has always been engaged in farming and market gardening. He had always been identified with the Republican party, and served as justice of the peace of Bradford township for ten years, but since the formation of the Prohibition party has been identified with it. He is a deacon and trustee in the Baptist Church, of which he has been a member fifty-four years.
C. DEHART, superintendent of a distri0t for the New York Pipe Line Company, Bradford, was born in Auburn, N. Y., January 2, 1846, a son of Joseph and Margaret DeHart, natives of New York, and of French descent, former of whom died in 1881. C. DeHart was reared in Titusville, and in his youth began to work at the oil wells. For eighteen years he has worked for pipe line companies, and for sixteen years has been in the employ of the New York company in various capacities, coming to Bradford in 1877. Mr. DeHart was married, in 1871, to Mary, daughter of William Carey, and they have three children: Mabel, Lloyd and Helen. Mrs. DeHart is a member of the Catholic Church. In politics Mr. DeHart is a Republican.
R. A. DEMPSEY, ex-mayor of Bradford and capitalist, was born in Venango county, Penn., April 26, 1837, the eldest of three children of Thomas C. and Mary Ann (Arthur) Dempsey, natives of Pennsylvania, former of Venango county, of Irish and German descent, and latter of Warren county, of Scotch and English descent. The father died in 1884, at an advanced age. R. A. Dempsey was reared a farmer, and followed that vocation until 1862, when he enlisted in Company E, One Hundred and Twenty-first Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and by promotion finally was commissioned first lieutenant. His regiment participated in many hard fought battles. Near Petersburg, Va.~ October 1, 1864, he was captured and was held prisoner three months and two weeks at Salisbury. . Being detailed to cut wood, he found an opportunity to make his escape, and joined the Union lines in Tennessee. After the close of the war he returned to Pennsylvania, and for a time was engaged in mercantile business, later in oil producing, and since 1871 has owned and conducted an oil refinery. In 1882 he became a member of a manufacturing company at Custer City that has been extensively engaged in the manufacture of high explosives. He is also interested in the cattle business in Kansas, owning a large tract of land. He has been a successful business man, and is now one of the leading citizens of Bradford. He has served as supervisor of Bradford township, also as school director, and in 1886 was elected mayor of the city. He has served two terms as postmaster, one term in Venango county and one in McKean county. He is a member of Bradford Post No. 141, G. A. R., and has held all the important offices in his post. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. lodge and encampment, of the Knights of Labor, and of several beneficiary societies. In politics Mr. Dempsey is a Republican. He was married in November, 1859, to Martha E. Campbell, daughter of Joseph Campbell, and they have four children: Mary (wife of Frank Howard), Lizzie, Nora and Lulu. Mrs. Dempsey is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
C. W. DENNIS, a member of the firm of Spence & Dennis, dealers in torpedoes and nitroglycerine, Bradford, was born in Buffalo, N. Y., October 30. 1853, a son of Joseph W. and Delia (Tolles) Dennis, who were also natives of New York, of English descent. Joseph W. Dennis is still a resident of Buffalo, and is aged sixty-two. Mrs. Delia Dennis died in Detroit in 1858, and in 1867 Mr. Dennis married Lucy M. Newman, of Nunda, N. Y. After his mother's death our subject lived with an aunt, sister of his mother, several years, in Albion and Marion, Ohio; then lived on a farm near Kenosha, Wis., for eight years, and then returned to Buffalo, N. Y., in 1869; he had good educational advantages, and after leaving school clerked for his father, who was a government contractor. In 1877 he came to Bradford and engaged in the oil business, adding the torpedo interest in 1878. In lS83 Spence & Dennis obtained the agency for the Torpedo Company of Delaware, and have met with good success in this line. Mr. Dennis was married January 24, 1883, in Buffalo, to Miss Jennie, a daughter of Capt. James W. Moore. In politics he is a Republican. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the Knights of Honor, as well as of the Royal Arcanum.
WILLIAM H. DENNIS, senior member of the firm of Dennis & Booth, who has been identified with the building up of the city of Bradford from the early days of the oil excitement, was born in England, of English parents, in October, 1852, son of James and Sarah (Stephens) Dennis. Early in life he was apprenticed to learn the carpenter's trade. In 1872 he came to Pennsylvania and settled in Carbondale, Lackawanna county, where in 1875 he was married to Maggie C., daughter of David and Charlotte (Farquharson) Andrew,
who were natives of Scotland. coming to New York in 1853, and settling in Ontario county, where Maggie C. was born in June, 1854. In 1876 Mr. Dennis entered into p8.1'tnership with I. S. Jones, and the firm of Jones & Dennis in 1877 moved to Bradford, where C. S, Booth was added, and the firm of Jones, Dennis & Booth did an extensive business both in Bradford and adjoining cities. Among the buildings erected by them are the Producers' Petroleum Exchange, the Central school-building, the Baptist and Methodist Churches, L. Emery, .Jr., & Co.'s stores, the residences of George A. Berry, Esq., Senator Emery and many others. In 1886 Mr. Jones withdrew and Dennis & Booth, in addition to their building business, engaged in the production of petroleum, having purchased some valuable oil lands in Foster township, McKean county. From the start this firm have held the position of leaders in the building business, and at the present time employ a large number of skilled workmen. Mr. Dennis also does architectural drawing, furnishing plans and specifications for buildings when desired. Mr. and Mrs. Dennis have six children: Lizzie B., Lottie S., Margie A., Marion B., Charles J. and Edith M. Both are members of the Baptist Church, which, in 1878, they took a prominent part in organizing in Bradford and in which he has for years held the office of deacon and church clerk. He is also president of the Young Men's Christian Association of Bradford, a member of the Royal Templars of Temperance, and in politics votes the Prohibition ticket.
DAVID A. DENNISON, managing editor of the Era, Bradford, Penn., was born at Cromwell, Conn., in 1856, where his parents had settled after their immigration from Cork, Ireland, about forty -five years ago. The family moved to Pennsylvania before the war of the Rebellion, and in this State the subject of this notice received an elementary education, while assisting on the home farm in Crawford county. In 1878 we find him in the State of Iowa, where he followed agricultural pursuits, but deeming the hills and valleys of the Keystone State a much happier clime, he returned hither, where he was engaged in various industries until 1887, in which year he was appointed to a position on the staff of the Era at Bradford. From the age of fifteen Mr. Dennison had been a contributor to several publications, and after coming here he acted as correspondent of the Elmira Sunday Telegram, and other papers, on oil-field news and other subjects. On July 3, 1889, he was promoted to the managing editorship of the Era, vice Mr. C. H. Steiger, transferred to the Toledo Commercial.
JOHN A. DIETER, farmer, P. O. Custer City, was born in Livingston county, N. Y, February 28, 1~35, a son of John and Annie C. (Kline) Dieter, natives of New York State, who came to McKean county, Penn., in 1848, and purchased a farm in Bradford township. The father was a stone mason, brick layer and plasterer by trade. In politics he is a Republican, and filled various township offices; although not a member of any church, he was a conscientious Christian man, and his wife was a member of the United Brethren Church for many years. He died in 1857 and his widow in 1881. Ten children were born to them, eight of whom are still living: Barbara J. (wife of William Baker, of Bradford township), Samuel Jackson (of Michigan). Michael K. (of Chautauqua county, N. Y.), John A., Eliza C. (wife of John Mack, of Ohio), Mary C. (wife of Spencer Tibbitts, of Custer City), Martha M. (wife of Henry Hammond, of Colorado) and George W, (of Cattaraug11s county, N. Y.) John A.. was reared mostly in McKean county, and obtained but a limited education, as he had to assist his father in clearing and improving the farm and attending stone masons. He was married May 2, 1865, to Miss Mary Ann, daughter of Charles Hayter, of Eden, or Marshburg, McKean county, and they have four children: Charles Stanley, John Franklin, Emma Frances and Henry Joseph, all living at home. Mr. Dieter has been identified with both the Republican and Democratic parties, and of late years has been a strong supporter of the Prohibition party. He has always been a prominent member of the United Brethren Church, and for years has been a licensed exhorter and class leader.
LORENZO DRAKE, farmer and oil producer, P. O. Custer City, was born in Morris county, N. J., September 20, 1819, a son of Silas C. and Sarah (Hamilton) Drake, natives of that State. In 1840 they came to McKean county, Penn., and entered the tract of land in Bradford township now owned by Lorenzo Drake. Silas C. Drake was a captain of the New Jersey State Militia. He was a Whig. afterward a Republican, and filled various township offices. He died in Bradford township in 1858, and his wife in 1862. They reared seven children, three of whom are living: Clarissa, widow of John Rutherford, of Erie county, Penn.; Theodore F., of Great Valley, Cattaraugus Co., N. Y.; and Lorenzo, the eldest, who removed with his parents from New Jersey to Tioga county, N. Y., when four years of age. He received a common-school education, and has followed the occupation of farming. In 1846 he married Miss Rhoda, daughter of Sheldon Tuttle, of Tioga county, Penn., and to them have been born nine children, named as follows: Silas, Ralph, Leroy, Russell and Guy, all farmers in Nebraska; Charles, civil engineer, at home; Millie, wife of Frank Smith, of Springville, N. Y.; Ida and Sarah A., at home. Mr. Drake is an active Republican.
S. R. DRESSER. manufacturer of oil well and gas well packers, Bradford, was born in Litchfield, Hillsdale Co., Mich., February 1, 1842, a son of Parker and Lydia (Cronkbyte) Dresser, former a native of Massachusetts, of English descent, and latter of New York, of Dutch descent. The father died in 1872. Mr. Dresser, when a young man, went to La Fayette, Ind., where he clerked in a dry goods store, and in 1865 moved to West Virginia, and was there employed in The oil fields. In 1872 he changed his location to Butler county and for Three years continued in the oil business. In 1880, having invented his packer, he began manufacturing, and now has a good business. Mr. Dresser was married in 1864 to Vesta E., daughter of Chauncey Simpson, who died in 1883. and they had a family of five children, two of whom are .living: lone and Robert A. In 1885 Mr. Dresser married Caroline, daughter of Carl Kirsch. Mrs. Dresser is a member of the. Presbyterian Church. In politics Mr. Dresser is a Republican, and has held various official positions, being a prominent citizen. He is a member of the Masonic lodge of Bradford.
C. A. DURFEY, State oil inspector, oil producer and dealer in real estate, Bradford, is a native of Connecticut, born April 19, 1838, a son of Benjamin and Harmony (Kingsley) Durfey, also natives of Connecticut. His father was a prominent citizen of that State and served as a member of the legislature from New London count)'. He died in 187-1, in the seventy-second year of his age. C. A. Durfey was the second in a family of six children. He learned the blacksmith trade in his youth, and during the Civil war was employed on government work in the armory at Springfield, Mass. In 1865 he came to Pennsylvania as superintendent of the Prescott and Seymour Oil Companies, and made his headquarters in Venango county twelve years. He then removed to Bradford county and worked in the oil fields, where he has since been successful as an oil producer. In 1877 he was appointed State oil inspector, a position he has since held. He has bought considerable real estate in the county, and has sold portions at quite an advance on the purchase price. Among his valuable possessions in the county may be mentioned the Durfey block, on Main street, Bradford, which is one of the handsomest buildings in the city. Mr. Durfey was married in 1864 to Lizzie V. Bowles, who died in 1872, leaving two children: J.W. and Gertrude S. In politics Mr. Durfey is a Democrat, and he has been a member of Bradford city council, and also of the school board.
EDGETT & McALLISTER, real estate, 1, 2 and 3 Bradburn block, 95 Main street, Bradford. The firm of Edgett & McAllister is composed of Roy W. Edgett and R. McAllister. They have been established in their present business only about one year, and in that time, by close application and careful study of values, have succeeded in steadily increasing the number of their transactions, until today they are among the leading real estate firms, and engaged in handling some of the very best properties in the country. They have a branch office at 315 Main street, Buffalo, N. Y., and handle property an over the United States. In addition, they enjoy facilities for placing loans on most reliable securities. They are always willing and anxious to assist in any landable effort to build up and maintain enterprises of a useful nature. They hold in the community an enviable position for their liberality and progressive spirit, and are gentlemen of pleasant and courteous manners.
G. C. EDMUNDS, proprietor of a livery stable, Bradford, was born in Warren county, Penn., April 8, 1849, fifth in a family of nine children of Robert and Elizabeth (Caskey) Edmunds, former of whom came from Scotland to America and settled in Warren county, where he spent the last years of his life. G. C. Edmunds was reared in his native county, attending school when a small boy, but in 1862 he was apprenticed to learn the blacksmith's trade. After completing his apprenticeship he engaged in business for himself, and for some time dealt extensively in horses. He also bought valuable oil ]and leases and has been successfully engaged in the oil business. Since 1870 he has been a resident of McKean county, and at present devotes the most of his attention to the livery business, having stables at both Bradford and Kendall. In politics Mr. Edmunds is a Republican, and has held the offices of constable and road commissioner of McKean county. He was married in Tennessee, in 1870, to Miss Eva, daughter of D. C. Hayes, and they have five children: Ina, Elizabeth, George, Frank and Eva.
LEWIS EMERY, JR., Bradford, was born about two miles from the pretty little village of Cherry Creek, Chautauqua Co., N. Y., August 10, 1839. In 184~ his father had been engaged constructing a railway near Olean, N. Y.,. for the old Erie, now the New York, Lake Erie & Western Railroad, and lost a great deal of money through the failure of that corporation. After severing his connection with the railroad he secured a contract on one of the levels of the Ganesee canal, and when that company defaulted he was again a sufferer, financially; and, becoming disgusted with the state of affairs in .the East, determined upon going to the West. In January, 1842, he started, with his family, to drive overland to Janesville, Wis. He was a thorough general mechanic, and an adept in all the varied details of woolen cloth making. 'When he reached Jonesville, Mich., on his westward journey, the loss of some of his live stock compelled him to make a halt, and the people of the surrounding country, learning of his ability, persuaded him to settle among them, and they agreed to and did build a mill for him, allowing him to pay for it from the profits on his sales. He remained in Jonesville for seven years,. during the latter part of which period he built another mill at Hil1sdale, -the county seat, to which place he moved with his family in 1849
Hon. Lewis Emery, Jr., the subject of this sketch, after spending his early youth learning the trade of his father, and acquiring what rudimentary education the country schools afforded, was sent to Hillsdale College, Hillsdale, Mich., where he finished his mental training. At the age of nineteen he engaged to teach the district school of Wheatland township, and continued to do so for two years; after which he resumed work at his father's flour mill, which be continued until he left the State. During his attendance at the Hillsdale College he met with, and formed an attachment for, Miss Elizabeth A. Caldwell, and on December 29, 1863, he married her at the home of her parents, in Vistula. Elkhart Co., Ind. Four children were the result of their marriage: Delevan Emery. born September 26, 1867; Grace Elizabeth Emery, born January 27, 1874; -Earle Caldwell Emery, born December 12, 1875, and Lewis Emery, born August 27, 1878. In May, 1864, he went to Southern Illinois and engaged in general merchandising, and also built a min. The war was brought to a close soon after he went there, and, business coming to a standstill, he concluded to seek other fields, and in August, 1865, started for the oil regions of Pennsylvania. He made his first stop in Pit Hole, Venango county, remaining a short time, and in that memorable year located his first well at Pioneer, that county, and shared the ups and downs of the producers of that period. For the next five years he followed the excitement, so characteristic of the oil country, with all its varied successes and disappointments, until, in 1870, he went to Titusville, Crawford Co., Penn., and was fairly on the way to wealth. He rapidly rose to the top rank among the well-known producers of that field, and by his determination and enterprise, coupled with a strong sense of honor in all business dealings, he soon commanded the respect and confidence of the whole community. Like hundreds of others of the then prosperous producers the financial panic, precipitated by the failure of Jay Cooke & Co., of New York, caught him with the floating obligations that could hot be quickly enough protected to save him from the desolating ruin that followed, and in the parlance of the country he "went to the wall," almost hopelessly ruined. With a recorded. debt again5t him that would have driven a less intrepid man to lunacy or, possibly, to the grave, he, with his characteristic enterprise and confidence in himself, was soon looking about. for a way to recover his lost fortunes. He had often viewed the hills and vales of. McKean county, Penn., with a strong suspicion that they held beneath them a vast lake of petroleum, only waiting to yield up its wealth to the pioneer who should tap it. Now, in a spirit of desperation, almost, he determined to test his ideas with the drill. He had leased and purchased about 14,000 acres of territory, without a cent of money. The people had confidence in him, trusted in his ability to pay, and never questioned his honor. He commenced operations in this field July 28, 1875, his first well being at Toad Hollow, on what was known as the Tibbets farm, about two miles south of The city of Bradford. This well opened up at a rate of forty barrels per day, and not only proved of vast financial importance to him, enabling him to wipe out every cent of debt, and accumulate a handsome fortune, but it virtually opened up the greatest oil territory the world has ever seen. His wealth piled up, and each year saw acres of territory falling into his possession, until over 500 wells were pouring their wealth into his store-house. In thus entering such a vast undertaking without money, the firm of Eaton, Cole Burnham Company, of New York, proved great friends to him. They gave him unlimited credit, though he was a bankrupt. They realized that a man who had gone down two or three times, and as often come out of the ordeal with honor unstained, would not long remain down, and so. it proved. In 1878 he was elected by the people of McKean county to represent them in the general assembly, where, in the session of 1879, he took such a warm and untiring interest in the wants of the oil country, that the people returned him to the legislature, in 1880, with credentials of a senatorship. During his sitting in the lower house of the legislature, he manifested an independence of spirit in political labor similar to that which had always characterized his action elsewhere. While he did not object to the party caucus, he would follow no leader whom he suspected of packing the caucus, either by purchase or the party lash. He ever advocated the most frank and honest dealing where the rights of the people came into the question; and never could reconcile the mandates of packed ,caucuses with either frankness, honesty or honor. It was for this reason that he refused to go into the senatorial caucus of 1879. At that time the Republican party was being wielded by and for the interests of a few individuals, and the "gag" . rule and caucus packing were two of their. favorite instruments to carryon their plans. The continuation of these practices led to. the memorable senatorial dead-lock in the legislature in 1881, when fifty-six Republicans remained out of the party caucus, many refusing to be tied to Galusha A. Grow for the United States senatorship, and this action ultimately resulted in the election of Hon. John I.' Mitchell, and was followed a year later by the three-cornered fight for the gubernatorial chair, by Hon. John Stewart! Robert E. Pattison and James A. Beaver. He was re-elected to. the State senate from the Twenty fifth district, in 1884: by a largely increased majority. In the same year he was chosen delegate-at-large to represent the State of Pennsylvania in the National Republican Convention, that convened at Chicago, June 19, and was in attendance during the memorable contest which ended in The nomination of James G. Blaine and John A. Logan. He was a warm advocate of Mr. Blaine's nomination, and an ardent supporter of him in the election that followed. In 1886 he was a candidate for congress from the Sixteenth district, and again in 1888 from the Twenty-fourth district, but both times was compelled to yield his claim, because of the rotation system so determinedly clung to in that part of the State. During his ten years of public service he was unflagging in his opposition to the tendency of corporate monopolies and trusts to prostitute their rights to private purposes, and the crushing out of fair competitian. In this direction he was the recognized leader of the anti-monopolists, and, though tempted to withdraw his opposition to the monopolists, by prospects of ample financial returns in the way of business facilities, he consistently stuck to his principles, and refused to be cajoled in any manner. In 1879 he went to Europe, and made a thorough investigation of the oil fields of the Baku region in Russia, to learn, if possible, what its competition with American oil would ever attain. In 1881 he made a second visit to Europe, this time traveling through France, Germany, Italy, Turkey, Greece, and up the Nile 1,000 miles, as far as the second cataract. He has also traveled extensively in this country, and in the Canadian provinces, and has equipped himself with a vast store of general information as to the needs and capability of the country. While traveling he was always a keen observer and a painstaking student of the men and things he met. He is a man of broad views, a ready reasoner and most determined in execution. His philanthropic work, while it has been very extensive, has been directed in a modest and unostentatious manner, and many are the institutions and private personages who have felt the influence of his quiet beneficence. In his personal habits, as in his public actions, he is plain and unpretentious. His home life is one of domestic peace and happiness, and furnishes him a harbor from the labors of business and public service, to which he always hies with pleasure unfeigned. His public spirit, coupled with a firm conviction that the rights of the common people must be sustained against the encroachment of individual or corporate gain, has made him an object of admiration among the people, and one to whom they have always shown a readiness to entrust their welfare. H~ is now engaged in the production and refining of petroleum on a very extensive scale in Bradford, McKean 00., Penn.; merchant flour-milling in Three Rivers, Mich.; has large wheat land interests in Northern Dakota, and is lumber milling in Farmers, Rowan Co., Ky., and is owner of a large oil well and general supply store in Bradford, McKean Co., Penn.
J. B. FARREL, oil producer, Bradford, was born in Erie county, N. Y., April 8, 1844, a son of Robert and Mary (Wells) Fane!. natives also of the Empire State, and of Scotch-Irish descent. He remained at home until after the breaking out of the Rebellion, when, in 1861, he enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Sixteenth New Y0rk Volunteer Infantry. He was discharged in 1863 on account of wounds received in battle, which incapacitated him for active service. Soon after his return home he came to the lower oil fields of Pennsylvania, and drilled wells at Petroleum Centre, remaining in that vicinity until 1876, when he removed to Bradford, where he has since lived, owning a number of wells near the city. He has been a successful business man, is one of the leading citizens of Bradford. and has served as a member of the select council. He is a Republican in politics.
JOSEPH FISCHER, of the firm of L. A. Fischer & 00., wholesale and retail grocers, Bradford, is a native of Alsace, Germany, born February IS, 1857, the youngest of seven children of Anthony and Catherine Fischer, former of whom died in 1869; latter still living on the old homestead in Germany. Joseph was reared in his native country, and there received a good common school education. After coming to America he took a commercial course at Bryant & Stratton's Commercial College, Buffalo, N. Y. In 1880 he came to Bradford and clerked for his brother in a wholesale and retail grocery business, continuing in that capacity until 1884:, when he was admitted to the firm as a partner. This firm have a large retail trade, giving employment to thirteen men and three delivery wagons. Mr. Fischer was married in Buffalo, April 1, 1888, to Miss Lucy A. Diebolt, daughter of George A. Diebolt, a
prominent boot and shoe merchant of Buffalo. In politics Mr. Fischer is a Republican. He and his wife are members of the Catholic Church, and he is treasurer of the Catholic Benevolent Legion.
JOHN FLANAGAN, dealer in oil well supplies, Bradford, Penn., was born in Ireland, in 1850, a son of John and Bridget (Kelly) Flanagan. His parents came to the United States in 1851, and settled in Armstrong county, Penn., where the father died April 7, 1864, and where the mother still lives. Left fatherless at an early age, the subject of our sketch was obliged to rely on his own exertions, and began working in the mines, which he continued until 1883. He then came to Bradford, where for a few months he worked at plumbing; then opened a junk shop, and has been successful in that line of trade, also handling a full line of oil well supplies. Mr. Flanagan was married April 24, 1873, at Brady's Bend, Penn., to Anna, daughter of Manasseh Boyle, and they have eight children: Anna, Mary, John, James, M. J., Rosella, Stephen and William. Mr. and Mrs. Flanagan are members of the Catholic Church. In politics he is a Republican.
LEONARD SAMPSON FOSTER, deceased, was a native of Townsend, Mass., born March 25, 1792. His father was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, and he a soldier in the war of 1812. He was one of a family of twelve children, who were noted for their longevity. His mother lived to be over one hundred years old, and two brothers lived to be ninety, and one sister to the age of eighty-three years. Mr. Foster moved with his family to McKean county, Penn., in 1827, and settled in what was afterward Foster township, the same having been named in his honor. He first embarked in the lumber business, but afterward devoted his attention to agriculture. He died at his residence at Foster Brook, June 13, 1882, in the ninety-first year of his age. March 27, 1817, he married, at Watertown, N. Y., Miss Betsy Hinds. and they spent together a happy married life of over sixty-five years. They had a family of eleven children, three of whom died in infancy. One son, A. G., laid down his life for his country during the war of the Rebellion. Seven of their children and over thirty grandchildren are now living.
HON. C. H. FOSTER, oil producer, Bradford, was born in Cattaraugus county, N. Y., September 5, 1826, a son of L. S. and Betsy (Hinds) Foster, his father a native of Massachusetts and his mother of Vermont, of English descent. In 1827 his parents moved to McKean county and made this their home the rest of their lives. The father died June 13, 1882. He was a prominent man in the county, and Foster Brook and Foster township were named in his honor. He was a soldier in the war of 1812. C. H. Foster was the third born in his parents' family. He was reared on his father's farm, attending the district school, and early in life embarked in the lumber business on his own account, which he continued until 1872, and since then has been largely engaged in the oil producing business. In 1845 Mr. Foster married Miss Euphemia :Snider, daughter of William Snider. She died in 1867, leaving five children: Charles C., C. M. (of Michigan), C. H. (of Findlay, Ohio), Effie (wife of Otis Kingsbury) and Emma E. (wife of L. A. Smith.) In 1870 he married Evaline A.., daughter of John F. Melvin. Mr. Foster is a Republican in politics and has held different positions of trust. He has served his town as school director and treasurer, his county as treasurer one term of three years, and as auditor one term of three years, and in 1877 and 1878 was a member of the State legislature. He is also a member of the Masonic fraternity. His brother, Capt. A. G. Foster, was a member of the Pennsylvania Bucktail Regiment during the war of the Rebellion, and after a service of three years and three days was killed at the battle of the Wilderness.
A. T. FOSTER, farmer, P. O. Custer City, was born in Bradford township, :McKean Co., Penn., February 28,1841. His father, Ephraim Foster, was a native of Onondaga county, N. Y., and married Miss Lydia Bliss, who was born in the State of Vermont, Orange county, but moved to New York State with her parents when a child About 1836 they came to McKean county and purchased a farm in Bradford township and engaged in farming and lumbering. The father and mother are still residing in Bradford township, although retired from active life. Ten children were reared by them, eight of whom are still living: David R(of California), Mary Etta (wife of Patrick Shady, of Panama, N. Y.), Noah (of Chautauqua county, N. Y.), A. T., Ulissa (wife of A. J. Brooks, of Guffey, Penn.), Willard G. (of Bradford township), Augustus (of Michigan) and Eugene (of Bradford township). A. T. Foster received a common-school education, and has principally followed farming and lumbering. In 1861 be married Miss Ellen R., daughter of G. W. Watrous, of Lafayette township, and to them have been born eight children: Elvira (wife of G. W. Dieter, of Cattaraugus county, N. Y.), Alice (wife of Donald Kidd, of Potter county, Penn.), Alida, Elmer, Lulu, Laura, Charles and Olive. Mr. Foster has always been identified with the Republican party. He and family are members of the United Brethren Church.
NELSON M. FRANCIS, oil producer, Ouster City, was born in Chautauqua county, N. Y., February 8, 1836. His father, Paul Francis, was a native of England and a currier by trade. He immigrated to America in 1830 and married, in Chautauqua county, N. Y., Mrs. Polly Willoughby, formerly Miss Polly Boss; he was married three times. He died in 1887. Nelson was The only child reared to maturity. He was educated in Chautauqua county, N. Y., and remained there until eighteen years of age. In 1854 he went to Bellevue, Wis., where he taught school during The winter and worked on a farm during the summer, until 1861, when he enlisted in the Eighth Wisconsin, Company H, served thirteen months, and on account of sickness was honorably discharged. He then located near Forestville, Chautauqua Co., N. Y., where he engaged in farming and dairying until 1869, and then for one and one half years followed the butter and cheese business at the same place. In 1871 he went to Petroleum Centre, and in partnership with Mr. J. Hurlbert purchased the McClintock House, which they conducted for about two years. Since that time Mr. Francis has been engaged in oil producing in Venango county, Penn. In 1877 be came to McKean county and bas since resided at Custer City, operating from twelve to thirty-five wells most of the time. Since 1882 he bas been a member of The Bradford Rock Glycerine Company, is a member of the Ohio Rock Glycerine Company, of Lima, Ohio, and is also a member of the firm known as the Western Drilling Company. In 1858 he married Miss Tyrella M., daughter of Edward and Tyrella (Blair) Durand, of Ohio, and they have four children: Edward Paul, Nelson Thornton, Egbert Earl and Grace Louise. Mr. Francis is a member of Hanover Lodge, No. 152, F. & A. M., and of the A. O. U. W. of Custer City, also of Post 141, G. A. R., and Iron Hall of Custer City; politically be is a Democrat, and for nine years has been school director of Bradford township.
D. U. FRASER, watchman for the Erie Railroad at the Elm street crossing, Bradford, is the oldest railroad man in the employ of the Erie Road at Bradf01'd. He carried the chain in the survey of the road, then worked on its construction, and when the road was completed was appointed baggage master at Bradford, holding that position until 1887, when he resigned and was appointed watchman at Elm street. This is a post of great responsibility, and one that few could fill, even if they desired it. Mr. Fraser has been in the employ of the Erie Company for over a quarter of a century, and is one of .their most reliable men. He was born in Scotland in 1832, a son of Alexander B. and Margaret Fraser, being the eldest of six children. When twenty four years old (in 1856) he left his native country. and as the ship that brought them across the ocean was leaving port, the bells were ringing in the town and the people were rejoicing at the glad tidings of the close of the Crimean war, and the proclamation of peace. He landed in New York City, where he remained a few months, and in 1857 came to Bradford. Mr. Fraser was married at Forestville, N. Y., in 1858, to Ann :McKenzie, a native of Scotland, and they have one child, Margaret. Mr. Fraser is a Republican in his political views.
F. F. FRENCH. dealer in nitro-glycerine and torpedoes, Bradford, was born in Allegany county, N. Y., September 4, 1854, a son of Sanford and Usley (Holdridge) French, natives of New York and Vermont, respectively. He remained in his native county until 1876, when he came to Bradford and was here employed in the oil fields. Later he bought a lease and began to operate for himself. In 1878 he became associated with Mr. Gormley, and has since been engaged in his present business. In politics he votes with the Democratic party, but is in no sense a politician, devoting his entire attention to his business interests. .