PAGenWeb McKean County, Pennsylvania
Elk, Cameron, and Potter, Pennsylvania
J.H. Beers, Chicago, 1890
Keating Township & Borough of Smethport Biographical Sketches
MRS. C. A. McCOY, Smethport, daughter of Dr. George and Lavinia (Cannon) Darling, was born in Massachusetts in 1813, and with her parents removed to Bunker Hill, Penn., or what is now known as Clermont, in 1822, where her father engaged in the practice of medicine, which he continued until his removal to Jefferson county, Penn., where he died November 16, 1869. His wife died in 1831. after which he married, for his second wife, Julia Clark; and she died in Jefferson county. He was the father of seven children,: three sons and three daughters by his first marriage, and one daughter by his. second. Miss C. A. Darling was married to Dr. W. Y. McCoy, December 13, 1832, and located at Smethport, where she had lived since fourteen years of age, and where Dr. McCoy first began the practice of medicine, which he continued until failing health necessitated his retirement. By close application to his profession, although beginning poor, he acquired a handsome competency. Be died January 5, 1886. This union was blessed in the birth of ten children, six of whom are now living: Hannah 1-,., wife of the Hen. Henry Hamlin; Charlotte M., wife of J. C. Hamlin; Ellen M,, wife of Adelbert Bishop, an architect of Buffalo; Henry L., a practicing physician of Smethport; Alice E.. widow of D. R. Hamlin; Edgar B., a druggist of Mount Jewett. Mrs. McCoy is still living on the old homestead, where for forty years she has resided, and in her declining years is surrounded by her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren, who are never so happy as when. listening to Grandma's interesting recitals of events relating to the long ago. Mrs. McCoy had three brothers and two sisters, also a half-sister, the record of whom is as follows: Jedediah was at an early day one of the noted practitioners, and was very prominent in the medical profession, died in 1871, at Smethport; Paul E. was a banker at Brookville, Jefferson Co., Penn. ; George, Jane and Mary died comparatively young; Mary, the half-sister, married Henry Gray, a merchant of Brookville, Penn.
HENRY L. McCOY, M. D., Smethport, son of Dr. William Y. and Char-torte A. (Darling) McCoy, was born in Smethport, McKean Go., Penn., in l846. His maternal grandfather, Dr. George Darling, was the first medical practitioner of McKean county. Henry L. was educated in Smethport, and read medicine with his father, who was a noted physician of his day, also with Prof. Sanford Eastman, of Buffalo; he then attended two courses of medical lectures, and graduated from the University of Buffalo in 1868, commencing the practice of medicine in Smethport. In the winter of 1870-71 he attended a course of lectures at the College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York City; thence returned and resumed practice at Smethport. In September, 1869, he married Clara, only child of P. Ford, and to them four children have been born: Alice, Grace, Agnes and Charles. Dr. McCoy is a member of McKean Lodge, No. 388, F. & A. M. ; Bradford Chapter, No. 258, R. A. M., and Trinity Commandery, No. 58, K.T. He is also a member of the I. O. O. F., lodge and encampment. He is senior warden of St. Luke's Episcopal Church, of which his family are members. In politics the Doctor is a Democrat.
MRS. LOUISA McCLURE, Smethport, was born in Lockport, N. Y., in 1846, and was educated at Lockport, Oberlin and Buffalo. She was married in 1867 to John Francis McClure, who was employed in the telegraph office at East Buffalo (Stock Yards) until the consolidation of the Western Union and Atlantic & Pacific Telegraph Companies. He then received an appointment at Larrabee, Penn., to which place he removed and there remained four years. On B. A. McClure's removal to Coudersport, John F. McClure became his successor at Smethport, a position he occupied until his death, which occurred September 20, 1887. He was a gentleman possessed of exceptionally good abilities, of sterling integrity and of moral worth. He was a member of the K. O. T. M. Mrs. McClure is a member of St. Luke's Episcopal Church.
JOSEPH M. McELROY, prothonotary, Smethport, son of William and Catharine (McClintock) McElroy, was born in Allegheny county, Penn., in 1842. He attended the common schools and took part of an academic course, but was compelled to leave school before completing his studies. When fourteen years of age he began supporting himself, and for three years was employed as salesman for a mercantile firm in Pittsburgh. When the war broke out in 1861 he enlisted in the first call for volunteers for three months, but a severe attack of diphtheria prevented his serving. Under the call for three years he enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Second Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and joined his regiment at Washington in November, 1861. He participated in the battles of Williamsburg, Fair Oaks, the Seven-Days' fight in front of Richmond, Malvern Hill, Antietam, Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, where he was slightly wounded and was captured; he was confined at Belle Isle, but was paroled after fourteen days, and being exchanged afterward took part in the Wilderness campaign and in front of Petersburg; was also with Sheridan in the valley, when his term of service expired. November 2, 1864, he was honorably discharged from the service, and arrived at Pittsburgh in time to cast his first presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln. After remaining home a month he .went to Franklin, Venango Co., Penn., where he was engaged in the coal business, and upon the opening of the Allegheny Valley Railroad in l869 he went to Oil City, where he lived ten years and was prominent in the organization of the city government, was a member of the council, and also mayor one term. In March, 1879, he removed to Bradford, where he has also been prominent in public affairs and served one term as president of the city council. He was in the coal trade in Bradford until 1884, when he was elected prothonotary of the county, which necessitated his removal to Smethport, and in 1887 he was re-elected. Mr. McElroy is an able man, and has taken a lively interest in all that pertains to the county's welfare. Although so prominently identified with public affairs, he still finds time to attend to an extensive business, and his friends find him always courteous and genial and ready to extend to them the hospitality of his home. Mr. McElroy was married in 1868 to Martha J. Woodburn, daughter of John Woodburn, and they have had three children, two of whom, Fred and Howard, are living. He takes an active interest in Freemasonry, and is a past eminent commander of Trinity Commandery, K. T. He is also a past commander of Post No. 847, G. A. R., and is a member of the A. O. U. W.
BERNARD McKEAN, farmer, P. O. Smethport, is a son of Patrick and 5lary (Kiernan) McKean, and was born in County Cavan, Ireland, in 1811, and in 1840 emigrated to America, locating in Long Island, where he married, in 1848, Bridget Graham, a lady of Scotch-Irish descent. He removed from there, in 1847, to Franklinville, Cattaraugus Co., N. Y., and from there to Keating township, McKean Co., Penn., in 1849, and purchased a tract of wild land which he improved, and engaged in farming, and here he still has his residence. Mr. and Mrs. McKean's children were Thomas and Phoebe (twins), the latter the wife of George Garlick; James A., Mary and Willie (twins), the latter deceased; Charles; Edward; Mary is now Mrs. Henry Gallup, of Smethport. Mrs. McKean died July 18, 1888. Mr. McKean is a member of the Catholic Church, and in politics a Democrat.
JAMES A. McKEAN, farmer and lumberman, P. O. Smethport, was born at Glen Cove. Long Island, N. Y., August 11, 1845, a son of Bernard and Bridget (Graham) McKean. In 1848 his father moved to McKean county, Penn., and located on what is known as the "Bond farm," on Marvin creek. This he afterward sold, and then settled on the adjoining farm to the south, where he still lives. The mother died in the year 1888. They had a family of seven children- Thomas and Phoebe (twins), James A., Mary A. and William (twins), Charles and Edward B. James A. McKean had the advantage of only a common-school education, but improved every opportunity to obtain a knowledge of the English branches. During the summer his services were required on the farm, and in the winter months he attended the district school, there being but one in a district of ten miles, and a tramp of miles through the snow of the valley was necessary each day. But it was this experience in his youth that helped to form the character of young McKean, and that has made him the successful business man of later years. When eighteen years old he entered the employ of James l5. Butts, at Buttsville, for whom he worked two years, in the meantime having charge of the building of the high dam across Three-mile Run. Later, he worked at the carpenter's trade, and then went to Kane, where he was employed in the car shops of the Pennsylvania & Erie Railroad, five years. In 1874 he bought the farm where he now lives, which adjoins his father's on the south, and since then has been extensively engaged in the lumber and bark business, employing during the bark and timber season from fifty to one hundred men. Mr. McKean has always been a stanch Republican, and cast his first presidential vote for Lea. 24 Grant, in 1868. He has served two terms as supervisor of his township, and, in 1887, was elected a member of the county board of commissioners. In January, 1869, he married Mrs. Julia S. Hubbard, and they have two children: William Hubbard and Maggie. Mr. and Mrs. McKean are members of the Catholic Church.LINN W. MASON, hardware merchant, Smethport, is a son of Lewis 3. and Nancy Mason, and was born in Franklinville, Cattaraugus Co., N. Y., in 1843, and at an early age he removed to Smethport, where he attended the academy after the completion of his studies he learned the hardware trade, and in 1859 became proprietor of a working interest in a wholesale flour and feed store at Emporium. He, however, returned to Smethport, and engaged in the hardware trade. In 1861 he went into the army with a sutler, remaining two years. He then purchased a hardware store of Mr. Nurse, but the Western fever had a strong hold upon him, and he is next found at Des Moines, Iowa, where he remained two years. He then removed to Tioga county, Penn., where he remained four years in a hardware store, and in 1879 he returned to Smethport, where he erected the very fine building he now occupies, and fitted it purposely for the hardware trade. Having started six hardware stores, it is not to be wondered at that the last was the crowning effort of all, and that his place of business is conveniently and elegantly arranged with everything accessible, and that he is enjoying a fine trade. He married Frances, daughter of David R. Bennett, and they have two daughters: Mary Louise (now Mrs. C. H. Kerns, of Smethport) and Corn. Mr. Mason is an active worker in the Democratic party. He and his family are members of St. Luke's Episcopal Church.
MRS. G. R. MOORE, daughter of Mander and Elizabeth A. Farnsworth was born in Erie county, Penn., in 1830, and in 1848 married George R. Moore, son of William and Elmira (Rice) Moore, after which they located in Liberty township, McKean Co., Penn., where he was engaged in the lumber business, which was his life-work, with the exception of a brief time he was engaged in speculating in oil. He was at one time associated with A. M. Benton, of Port Allegany, this county, and also with E. S. Johnson, and sent the largest raft ever run down the Allegheny river. In 1873, during the coal excitement, when the railroad was built to Clermont, he put up the first mill there for the railroad company. It, however, was burned, and having become associated with his son, they together erected another on the same site, and eventually a second mill, operating both successfully. Mr. Moore was compelled, however, by ill health to abandon active pursuits, and died October 24, 1888. Mrs. Elmira Moore, his mother, is still living. His son still continues the business at Clermont. Mrs. Moore is residing at their old home in Smethport. They had four children, three of whom are living: Jennie E., wife of John Eberspacher, of Texas; Ella E., wife of Henry Lehman, of Mount Jewett, McKean county, and Charles H. Mr, George R. Moore was brought up in the Methodist Church, and in politics was a Democrat.
C. H. MOORE, lumberman, Smethport, is a native of Smethport, McKean Co., Penn., born March l 0, 1849. He was reared in his native city, and was educated there and at Lima, N.Y. In 1876 he went to Clermont, Sergeant township, McKean county, and opened a hotel, which he conducted eighteen months, when he moved to Larrabee, same count),, and there carried on a hotel until May 8, 1882. He then moved to Smethport, where he engaged in the livery business, and in 1883 he moved to a farm at Farmers Valley, but in addition to superintending his farm continued his livery business at Smethport until August, 1884, when he sold out and bought a tract of timber land and a saw-mill at Clermont, and he now carries on an extensive business, cutting 40,000 feet of lumber a day. 1Vir. Moore was married October 9, 1878, to Miss Mary A. Goodwin, daughter of Thomas Goodwin, of Farmers Valley, and they have two children: Lloyd M. and Leatha M. Mr. Moore is a member of McKean Lodge, No. 388, F. & A. M., Chapter, No. 251, R. A. M., and Smethport Lodge, I. O. O. F.
THOMAS D. NASH, merchant, Smethport, was born in Vermont. He received a practical business education in the schools of his native State, and in 1863 came to Crawford county, Penn., where he was engaged as a clerk, and also worked in a printing office. In 1880 he came to Smethport, and same year married Miss Mary A. Tracy, a daughter of Edward and Bridget (Riley) Tracy, of Smethport, Penn. In May, 1883, he went to Harrisburg, Penn., under Hon. J. Simpson Africa, in the office of internal affairs, where he remained until May, 1887, when he returned to Smethport, and has here since remained, engaged in mercantile business. Mr. and Mrs. Nash are members of the Catholic Church.
JOHN E. OLDS, retired, P. O. Farmers Valley, is a son of E. C. and Jane (DeGolia) Olds, and was born in Prattsburg, Steuben Co., N. Y., in 1828. In 1840 his parents removed to what is now Bradford, McKean Co., Penn., where the father engaged in farming, also starting a tannery and shoe-shop. In 1876 the parents came to Keating township, and made their home with their son, John E., the balance of their lives; the father's death occurring in 1878 and the mother's in March, 1880. Their children were Robert D. ; Sibyl, the late Mrs. Edwin Colegrove, of Bradford; Marilla T., the wife of William McKean, of Nebraska; James, who was married, was a resident of Marshburg, in McKean county, and in blasting a well was killed; John E. ; Rachel T., wife of Edwin Storms, of Michigan, and Abel W., of Nebraska, deceased. John E. Olds began his business life in the tan-yard and shoe shop of his father. He remained in Bradford until 1856, when he removed to Keating township and purchased a farm, which he cultivated in connection with his work in the tan-yard and shoe shop, for a period of ten or twelve years. In 1862 he purchased the farm where he now resides and erected a new and commodious-residence, and now, iu the evening of his life, is living at leisure, surrounded by his children and in the enjoyment of the results of his earlier labors, Mr. Olds was married March 7, 184 ¢, to Elizabeth, daughter of Charles Tubbs, of Farmers Valley, and their children were Frederick C., married to Miranda C. Arnold; Hannah F., wife of Orren W. Godfrey, of Olean, N. Y. ; Abner R. (deceased); John A., who married Jennie Heinline, and is now a resident of Olean, N. Y., and Charles C., who married L. E. Cooper, also a resident of Clean. N. Y. In polities Mr. Olds is a Republican. Part of his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and part of the United Brethren Church.
F. C. OLDS, merchant and lumberman, Farmers Valley, is a son of g. E. and Elizabeth Olds, and was born in Bradford, McKean Co., Penn., in 1848. J. E. Olds was a native of Steuben county, N. Y., and with his father located at Bradford. F.C. Olds removed with his father to Farmers Valley in 1857, where he was reared. He purchased a steam saw-mill, and is extensively engaged in the lumber trade, in addition to which he is a dealer in general merchandise at Farmers Valley. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and in politics is a Republican. He is one of the enterprising men of this portion of McKean county, and has been postmaster at Farmers Valley for the past twelve years. Mr. Olds was married December 18, 1872, to Miranda C. Arnold, of Cuba, N. ¥., daughter of (Gilbert and M. S. Arnold, and born in Stark county, Ill. They have one child, Ethel M., born in November, 1874.
FRANK E. ORMSBY, farmer and lumberman, P. O. Smethport, is a son of W. F. and Loretta Ormsby, and was born in Smethport, McKean Co., Penn., in 1844. His father, who is a native of Vermont and a blacksmith by trade, located at Smethport, Penn., in October, 1842, where he carried on a blacksmith shop, but he is now a resident and farmer of Ormsby Junction, which place derives its name from him. His children are Mrs. Ella Newton, Mrs. Emma Helsel, Gideon I. and Frank E. The last named, who is the subject proper of this sketch, was reared and educated in his native town, and, in 1866, married Helen, daughter of Pardon Wright, and they have two children: Mrs. Clara Neeley and Mrs. Lottie Lament. In 1887 Mr. Ormsby purchased the farm he now owns on Marvin creek. Keating township, McKean county, where, in addition to his agricultural interests, he is engaged in lumbering. In politics he is a Democrat.
A. H. PIERCE, JR., hotel keeper, Smethport, was born in Troy, N. ¥., June 14, 1844, a son of A. H. and Esther (Oatman) Pierce, the former a native of Albany, N. Y., and the latter a native of Vermont. A. H. Pierce, the subject proper of these lines, left his home at the age of ten years, and worked on a farm for $25 a year, clothing himself, until 1861, when he enlisted in Company D. Sixth Ohio Cavalry, and served faithfully until 1865, when he received an honorable discharge. In 1869 he married Miss Rosa A., daughter of Johnson and Fannie Glase, of Lymansville, Penn., and to this union were born four children, of whom two are living: A. H. and Hattie G. Mr. Pierce located in Coudersport, Penn., in 1867, rented a building and kept a restaurant several years; in 1879 he came to Smethport, where he rented again and kept a restaurant two years, when he built for himself his present hotel, which he very successfully conducts. Mr. Pierce is a member of Tent No. 9, K. O. T. M., and of McKean Post, No. 347. G. A. R., at Smethport In politics he is a Republican, and his family all attend church.
T. H. PURTLE, blacksmith, Smethport was born in Susquehanna county, Penn., in 1854. He made his home with his parents until 1877, when he removed to Bradford, McKean Co., Penn., where he was in the oil business for five or six years; then removed to Jamestown, N. Y., and thence to Smethport, where he is now engaged in blacksmithing. In 1879 he married Lizzie McNelly, and they have two children. They are members of the Catholic Church, and he is a member of the Catholic Mutual Benefit Association. In politics he is a Democrat.
WILLIAM RAMER, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Smethport, was born in Schuylkill county, Penn., in 1823. He learned the wagon maker's trade, at which he worked in his native county until 1856, when he removed to Smethport. In 1858 he purchased the farm he now owns, in Keating township, where he has been engaged in farming and stock raising, selling the productions of his dairy in the borough of Smethport. Mr. Ramer married Matilda Fry, and they have had six children, four of whom are living: Louis, Nathaniel, Samuel and Alice (Mrs. Samuel McClure). Mr. Ramer is a supporter of the Republican party.
A. REILLY, Smethport, was born in 1825, in County Cavan, Ireland. The Reilly family, consisting of father, mother, four suns (including our subject) and two daughters, moved from Philadelphia to McKean county in 1842, arriving, after a tedious journey with horses and wagons, in the then wilderness, locating three miles east of Smethport. Here they built a log-house, and began work to make themselves a home in the woods. The following recollections of those times, as narrated by Mr. Reilly, will be found interesting:
"Deer, which were numerous, would come to browse upon the fallen brush, where they were killed for their skins, and a hunter who visited us killed seven in one day, taking their skins and leaving their carcasses in the woods. I was the first to buy and ship venison to New York and Philadelphia, and one winter, in company with Judge Arnold, I shipped fifteen tons, the saddles selling at 4 cents and the rest at 2 cents per pound. In 1842, the year we came here, a drove of seven elk was driven past our home by Joseph Coleman, and at another time a full-groom elk was captured by two Indians and led through the town. A half-grown panther was trapped by Mr. Hugh Starkweather, bound with withes and taken to Smethport. Wolves and bears were so ravenous that the sheep had to be housed at night, at one time sixteen in my flock being killed by animals in one night. In the spring pigeons would come in immense flocks, at one time the nesting being ten miles long and five miles wide, every tree and limb in the forest being covered. Their last appearance was in 1870. Many made a business of catching them, and on Potato creek there were placed nets about one hundred yards apart for a distance of fifteen miles, each net capturing from ten to one hundred dozen per day. I was one of the first to buy them for shipping, and have shipped twenty to thirty barrels per day, each barrel holding twenty-five dozen, and selling at from 25 to 50 cents per dozen, but discontinued shipping when advised to do so by the commission men, who would no longer pay freight charges, as the market was glutted. In 1843 I walked all the way to Philadelphia, a distance of about 300 miles, sixty miles of the distance being through Potter county, a wilderness, with but one house in the sixty miles, and returned in 1844, also on foot."
Mr. Reilly was married in Philadelphia to Miss Ann Bryen, and became the father of six sons and four daughters: Joseph W., Emmet R., James M., Andrew R. M., Grattan and John M:, being the sons; the daughters were Mary, Ann Celia, Maggie and Emma B. The family belong to the Catholic Church. and in politics Mr. Reilly is a Democrat. He was elected county commissioner in 1878, and re-elected in 1881. As a contractor and builder Mr. Reilly built the county poor buildings, on the cottage plan, a style being now largely copied by other counties. He also built the Grand Central Hotel at Smethport, at a cost of $30,000, a large brick store and other edifices in Smethport, at a cost of $8,000 each. He cleared a farm of 150 acres from the wilderness, planting 300 fruit trees, and has always proved himself to be a worthy, industrious and useful citizen.
F. O. RICHMOND, conductor on the Bradford, Bordell & Kinzua Railroad, Smethport, was born in Smethport McKean Co., Penn., July 27, 1840, a son of Nelson and Amanda (Chapin) Richmond, natives of New York State, who came to Smethport about 1812. They were the parents of six children, of whom F. O. is the fourth son. His father died in 1846. He has followed various occupations, having been in a hotel in Smethport more or less for eleven years. He married September 4, l861, Miss Mary E., daughter of Erastus and Mary (Star) Curtis, of Smethport, Penn. Since the completion of the Bradford, Bordell & Kinzua Railroad, at Smethport, he has been employed on it for nearly six years, and over four years as conductor. Mr. Richmond served at different times under Col. Wilcox as deputy sheriff.
LUCIUS ROGERS, proprietor of the McKean County Miner, Smethport borough, was born in Geneseo, Livingston Co., N.Y. When he was less than a year old his father moved his family to Jamestown, N. Y., where they lived until two or three years after the father's death, which occurred in August, 1847. The subject of these lines received a comparatively limited education, the public schools and Jamestown Academy being the extent of his school training, and at the age of sixteen years he entered the Journal office at that place to learn the printing business. After serving about two and a half years he moved to Warren, Penn., where he worked in the Mail office for about a year; then went to Syracuse, N. Y., and worked in the Journal office of that city about six months. From there he proceeded to New York City, where he set type on the New York City directory, and afterward in the book and job office of Baker & Goodwin, in the old Tribune building, remaining in that city about fifteen months. Subsequently he worked about eighteen months in the city of New Haven, and the towns of Litchfield and Waterbury, in Connecticut, also a few months in Dansville, N. Y. Returning to Warren, Penn., about the year 1851, Mr. Rogers soon after entered into partnership with Hen. E. Cowan in the publication of the Warren Mail. In the summer of 1854. he was nominated by the Whigs as a candidate for county treasurer of Warren county, and at the October election was elected by a majority of about 150 At the session of the legislature in 1857 he was elected transcribing clerk of the senate of Pennsylvania, a position he retained, however, only one session, the Democrats having resumed control of that body at the following session. Late in that year he entered into negotiations for the purchase of the Citizen. of Smethport, which was owned by Prof. F. A. Allen. The purchase was finally concluded, and Mr. Rogers took possession of the office February 27. 1858. At the session of the legislature in 1860, the county of Cameron was formed partly from McKean county, and in the fall of that year he moved the Citizen office to Shippen (now Emporium), which would be the county seat, believing that the Philadelphia & Erie Railroad Company would locate their shops there when the road was completed at that point. The first number of the paper was issued on December 28, 1860, and was the first paper ever published within the limits of that county. In a few months the war broke out, and the editor and printers shut up the office and enlisted. Under a commission issued by Gov. Curtin, Mr. Rogers recruited Company F, of the Fifty-eighth Regiment, in July, 18617 with which regiment he served until the spring of 1863, when he returned to this county and purchased the McKean County Miner, which was moved from Bradford to the county seat a year or two before. About the year 1870 he sold the paper and in January, 1884, repurchased it and returned to his first love. In 1864 he was a candidate for representative, and carried his own county by a handsome majority, but was defeated by Clinton county, which was strongly Democratic. In 1869 he was elected prothonotary, and in 1871 to the assembly in the district composed of McKean and Potter counties, defeating F. W. Knox, of Potter county. He was a secretary of the State constitutional convention of 1873, and was several years secretary of the Republican State committee. Four years, from 1879 to 1883. he was deputy secretary of internal affairs, and for some eleven years was journal and reading clerk of the State senate. In the summer of 1889 he was nominated for county treasurer by the unanimous vote of the convention, and was elected. Years before the discovery of oil in McKean county Mr. Rogers had great faith in the existence of extensive coal beds in the eastern portion of the county, and spent a small fortune in Seeking to develop this theory. He was wedded to the belief that there was a great future in store for the county, and was ever ready to devote his energies in furthering its development in any direction that appeared in the least feasible. In the face of repeated discouragements he never lost hope. For a number of years he was president of the school board of Smethport borough, and it was through his persistency, with the support of other members of the board, that the present fine building was erected and the founding of Smethport's excellent schools laid. He built and operated the first steam saw-mill ever erected in the Potato creek valley, and has been identified with every effort for the development of the resources of the county. All earnest, aggressive men have their enemies, but though Mr. Rogers is a man very much in earnest in all that he undertakes, and has through life been an aggressive Republican, there is no bitterness in his warfare, and few men have come out of so many hard-fought political battles with so few personal enemies. In May, 1860, Mr. Rogers married Levia M. Goodwin, of Seneca county, N. Y. ; this lady died July 27, 1889, at the age of fifty-two years. The result of that union was three daughters and one son, all of whom are living, excepting the first born, a daughter, who died in infancy. The family of Mr. Rogers attend the Presbyterian Church, but he is not himself a member of any denomination.
JOHN F. ROONEY, dealer in meats, fruits, etc., Smethport, was born in Portageville, Wyoming Co., N. Y., February 14, 1854, son of James and Ann (Lavelle) Rooney, both of whom died when John F. was comparatively young. The subject of our sketch received a common-school education in his native town, and since commencing life has been engaged in various occupations. He first went into partnership in the hotel business, but six months later sold his interest in the hotel and opened a grocery, which he carried on two years; then sold his grocery business and moved to Bradford, Penn., where the following winter he found employment with the Standard Oil Company, at Custer City. When the "shut-down" came in the succeeding spring, Mr. Rooney, with the other new men, was laid off with promise of first vacancy. Becoming impatient, however, waiting for an opening, he went to Coleville, Penn., where he entered into a partnership in the meat business, and when the oil excitement was over at that place he took an interest in a 500-acre lease and wild-cat well, located three miles from Shongo, Allegany Co., N.Y., near the Allegany county oil belt. This well proving to be dry, the venture reduced Mr. Rooney's capital to $150, with which he came to Smethport, where he invested $132 in the meat business, which he has since successfully carried on. Mr. Rooney is a member of the Catholic Church, and of the C. M. B. A. ; in politics he is a Democrat.
ROBERT H ROSE, attorney at law, Smethport borough, was born at Silver Lake, Susquehanna county, Penn., December 7, 1847. His grandfather, Dr. Robert H. Rose, of Philadelphia, was very prominently identified with the early history of Susquehanna county, buying from the Francis estate 100,000 acres of land, and building a beautiful residence on the banks of Silver Lake, where he finally took up his abode, Silver Lake still remaining the property of the family. Edward W. Rose, father of the subject of this sketch, moved from Silver Lake to Montrose, same county, where he was in the mercantile business for years, and here, at the academy, young Robert H. commenced his classical education. In 1868 he graduated from Cortland Academy, at Homer, N. Y., after which he became a student in the law office of Fitch & Watson, prominent attorneys of Montrose, Penn., and in 1878, he was admitted to the bar in Susquehanna county. In December of that year Mr. Rose came to McKean county, and to Smethport, as attorney and agent for the Bingham estate. The Binghams were the original owners of nearly all McKean county, as well as Potter and adjoining counties, and the largest owners of oil territory in this field. Mr. Rose is still attorney for the Ringham estate and acts for Robert C. Simpson, attorney in fact for the trustees. .The first law partners of Mr. Rose were Hen." David Sterrett, now of Washington, Penn., and Hen. W. W. Brown, now of Bradford, Penn., the firm subsequently changing to Sterrett & Rose, and now, by the retirement of Mr. Sterrett, after ten years' co-partnership, Mr. Rose is alone, his Office being in the Hamlin Bank building. In addition to his other interests, Mr. Rose is attorney for the county commissioners; and in this connection, at the time of his appointment, a local paper paid him the following just tribute to his ability as an attorney and his integrity as a citizen: "The Appointees. The new board of commissioners appointed, as their legal counsel, Hon. Robert H. Rose. Mr. Rose is one of the younger, yet one of the ablest, members of the bar of McKean county. He represented this county in the legislature of 1885 with great credit, and as a member of the law firm of Sterrett & Rose he has had very considerable legal experience. Other attorneys sought the position who were backed by strong friends, but the commissioners finally decided in favor of Mr. Rose, and no one can deny but that the selection is a singularly meritorious one." Mr. Rose has been actively engaged in the oil trade since 1878, and is a member of the Bradford Exchange; has operated in the Bradford, Allegany and Washington fields largely, and is recognized as a thorough, able and successful business man and financier. On September 5, 1877, he was married to Laena D., daughter of Hon. Henry Hamlin, and their union, a most happy one, has been blessed in the birth of two children: Robert Craig and Marion. Mr. Rose has represented his district in the State legislature, where he made an enviable record. He takes a just pride in being a thirty-second degree Freemason, a Knight Templar, and a member of the consistory at Pittsburgh; as also a member of the Mystic Shrine. In his political views Mr. Rose has always been a Republican. His home is one of the fine residences of the borough, and he is recognized as one of the leading representative citizens. Mr. Rose is of a remarkably genial and kindly nature, and his home is the center of a refined social life, to which his own personality gives much of the zest. Here he has also given free scope to his love of the fine arts, notably pictures by modern artists, of which he is an enthusiastic admirer and intelligent judge.
MOSES ROSENFIELD, dealer in clothing and jewelry, Smethport, son of S. A. and Sarah Rosenfield, was born in Germany, near the Russian line, March 15, 1862, and was educated in the Hebrew school in his native country. His father, who was a merchant and dealer in produce, employed about 150 men, and Moses assisted him, making his home with his parents until he emigrated to America. His parents are still living in Germany. Their children were Joseph, Rebecca (who died in 1879, at the age of twenty-two, having been married only eighteen months), Levi, Barney, Jacob and Moses. The first two sons are in Germany, Barney is a merchant at Bradford, Penn., and Jacob is with Moses. Moses came to America in 1878, and located in New York City, where he remained a little over two years. He began his business career as a merchant in a small way, and, as funds increased, enlarged his stock, until by hard work, economy and strict attention to business, he has secured a sum which enables him to do a trade on a large scale. He located at Smethport in the fall of 1880, and in 1888 he erected the building he now occupies (having previously purchased the lot), where he is now extensively engaged in the clothing and jewelry trade. Mr. Rosenfield is a member of the I. O. O. F., lodge and encampment. He is a member of the Hebrew Church.
H. W. RUBIN, merchant tailor and dealer in clothing, Smethport, was born in Germany, February 23, 1855, receiving his education in his native country. When fourteen years of age he came to Syracuse, N. Y., and commenced business for himself by selling goods upon the road, coming in 1879 to Smethport, where he engaged in his present business. He married September 28, 1879, Miss Sarah Rosenson, of Brooklyn, N. Y., and they are the parents of four children: Rachel, Harry, Ida and Estella. Mr. Rubin is now one of the largest and most successful business men in Smethport. He is a member of McKean Lodge, No. 888, F. & I. M. ; also of Smethport Lodge, No. 389, I. O. O. F., and encampment No. 273.
ROSWELL SARTWELL, retired, Smethport. The first of the Sartwell family in America was Simon Sartwell, who located at Charlestown, N. H., and was killed by the Indians while he was plowing on his farm. He had two sons, Obediah and John. Obediah lived in the town of Langdon, N.H., and had a family of six sons: Solomon, Phineas, Joel, Obediah, Thomas and Roswell. John had a family of nineteen sons and one daughter. Solomon, the eldest son of Obediah, was reared in Langdon, N. It., and was there married and later settled on Sartwell creek, in Potter county, Penn., and about 1815 moved to Farmers Valley, McKean county, where he died. He was twice married, and had a family of eight children: Betsey, born May 20, 1794; Solomon, January 16, 1796; Joel, April 16, 1798; Asa. August 19, 1800; Sally, February 13, 1803; Almond, November 14, 1806; Armena, July 11,. 1808, and Cordelia, September 11, 1817. Solomon Sartwell, the eldest son of this family, removed when a young man to Rochester, N.Y., where he worked at the carpenter's trade, and thence came to Smethport, Penn., where he engaged extensively in the lumber and mercantile businesses. He was a prominent man in his day. He was sheriff of the county, was appointed associate judge, and at the time of his death was a justice of the peace. January 1, 1822, he married Sally, daughter of Isaac and Phoebe King, and they had six children: Alfred Mortimer, born December 30, 1822, died June 12. 1831; Chester King, born May 12, l824; George Washington, born February 22, 1826; Roswell, born November 7, 1827; Mary, born February 9_8, l830, died May 16, 1860, and Samuel Babcock, born April 8, 1833, died June 8, 1882. The father died August 24, 1876, and the mother October 28, 1877. Of these, Roswell, the fourth son, and whose name heads this sketch, enlisted in 1861 in Company H, Fifty-eighth Regiment P. V. I., but was discharged after a short service on account of disability. He has been extensively engaged in the lumber and mercantile businesses, but is now living retired from active life. In 1878 he was elected sheriff of the county, and made an efficient officer. Mr. Sartwell married Mary A., daughter of Henry Chapin, and they have two sons, T. L. and F.C. T.L. is married and has one son, Roswell C. Mr. Roswell Sartwell is a member of the G. A. R. In politics he is a Democrat.
JOHN R. SHOEMAKER, late county treasurer, Smethport, son of Jacob Shoemaker, was born in Monroe county, Penn., in 1841, and received his education in the common schools. In 1865, for a couple of months, he filled a clerkship at Port Jervis, N. Y., and in May of that year he removed to Mankato, Minn., where he was engaged in a dry goods store, and in the winter of 1865-66 he had charge of a store at Winnebago City, same State. In May, 1866, he married Miss Sarah A. Wood, of Mankato, Minn., and returned east to Monroe county, Penn., the following winter. In 1867 and 1868 Mr. Shoemaker was engaged in the wholesale notion trade; in 1869 he was a traveling salesman for the house of H. O. Leet & Co., of New York City, and in 1870 he similarly represented the house of Huntington & Darn, wholesale grocers; also in 1871, owing to the death of a brother, he took charge of his store in Northampton county, Penn., and settled his estate; in 1878-74:, he had charge of a store for Monroe Howell, at Troy, Morris Co., N. J., and in October, 1874, he removed to McKean county, Penn., locating in Clermont. in November, 1875, where he filled a position as book-keeper and cashier for the :Buffalo Coal Company for a period of five years. In July, 1880, he became clerk in the commissioners' office, of McKean county, where he remained until January 1, 1887, when, having at the preceding election been made treasurer of the county, he took possession of that responsible office, which, as an affable, courteous gentleman, he filled with honor to the county and credit to himself until his retirement, January 1, 1890. Mr. Shoemaker is an active Republican. He is a member of McKean Lodge, No. 888, F. & A. M.
CASPAR SMITH, farmer, P. O. Farmers Valley, son of George and Katrina Smith, was born in Germany in 1839, being one of a family of seven children, viz. : George C., John, Andrew, Margaret E., Dorotha, Lenora and Caspar. Caspar Smith immigrated to America in 1849, and located in Pittsburgh, Penn., where he was engaged at his trade as a tailor for a period of seven years. In 1852 he married /Kiss Anna D., daughter of Conrad Dean, of that city, and in 1856 came to McKean county, locating at Clermont, where he was engaged in farming until 1874, when he removed to Keating township to the farm he now owns near Farmers Valley. He erected a grist-mill there of three run of stone, of which he is a one-half owner. Mr. and Mrs. Smith . have six children, viz. : Margaret (now Mrs. George Boyer), John, Mary, Regina (now Mrs. Eugene Day), August and Ella. They are members of the Lutheran Church, and Mr. Smith is a member of McKean Lodge, No. 388, F. & A. M., of Smethport. He is a Republican in polities, was elected justice of the peace in 1869, and in 1877 was elected commissioner of the county.
WILLIAM SPECHT, dealer in furniture, Smethport, was born in Hanover, Germany, in 1825, son of Eingenhouse and Louisa Speeht. After the death of Eingenhouse Louisa Specht was married to Jacob Sasse, and became the mother of Carl Sasse, mentioned below. William Specht was educated in his native country, immigrated to America in 1851, and the same year located at Smethport, where he worked at the cabinet maker's trade. He married, December 3, 1854, Elizabeth Weineman (who died February 25, 1881), and they had two children: Carrie (who died December 23, 1886), and William F. In 1879 he, with Carl Sasse, erected a fine, commodious building in Smethport, and engaged in the furniture business, which they still continue. He is a member of McKean Lodge, No. 388, F. & A.M. He and his wife are members of the Catholic Church, and he is a Republican in politics.
CARL SASSE, his partner in business, was born in Duderstadt, Hanover, Prussia, in 1838, and immigrated to America in 1863. He located in Smethport, and engaged in cabinet making until he became associated with Mr. Specht in business. He married, in 1867, Margaret Koenig, also a native of Duderstadt, and they have had five children: Leonard (deceased), Amanda, Herman, Rudolph and Waldo. Mr. Sasse is a member of the A. O. U. W.
DR. M. A. SPRAGUE, merchant, Smethport, son of Parris A. and Elizabeth Sprague, is a native of Erie county, N. Y., born in 1833. He was educated at what is now Griffith Institute. He began his professional life as a dentist in Erie county, N. Y., and in February, 1860, removed to Smethport, McKean county, where he designed to remain only over night, but, finding a desirable field here for the practice of dentistry, located here and practiced until 1872. He then purchased a half-square, and erected on the corner of Main and Fulton streets one of the first brick blocks built in Smethport, and engaged in the hardware trade, in which he has since done a pleasant and remunerative business, and where he is still to be found. The Doctor has been made the recipient of nearly all the honors the borough can confer upon an individual--having been its burgess, member of council, school director, and having filled all the minor official positions in the borough. In 1866 he was appointed assessor of internal revenue for Cameron and McKean counties, a position he held for three years, when he was made deputy prothonotary, register and recorder of McKean county; upon the resignation of Mr. Rogers he was appointed prothonotary, and at the ensuing election was elected to that office. In 1882 he was appointed by President Arthur postmaster at Smethport, and after repeated requests to have a successor appointed, and his many refusals to retain the office, he succeeded in June, 1888, of being relieved of the cares of a public trust. He is a member of the Republican party, but never was an office seeker, and honors came without an effort on his part to secure them. He is a member of Smethport Lodge, No. 388, F. & A. M., and of Trinity Commandery of Bradford. In 1862 he married Emma J., daughter of Nelson Richmond, one of the prominent citizens of Smethport, having been judge of the county, and was one of the largest landholders in the county. Dr. and Mrs. Sprague have two children: Carlton R. and Rose A.
GEORGE A. STICKLES, farmer, P. O. East Smethport, the second son of Stephen and Elizabeth (Teal) Stickles, was born in Columbia county, N. Y., in l8Z7. He moved to Seneca county, N. Y., thence to Yates county, same State, and then, in 1841, to McKean county, Penn., remaining with his parents until manhood. His grandfather, Adam Stickles, lived on the place he now owns, and there he died. George A. Stickles married, in July: 1855, Caroline Grimes, daughter of John Grimes, of Liberty township, McKean Co., Penn., and their children are: Adelbert, Jay and Ella. Mr. Stickles is a supporter of the principles of the Republican party.
MILLER 0. STICKLES, farmer and lumberman, P. O. Smethport. is a son of Stephen and Elizabeth Stickles, and was born in Claverack, Columbia Co., N. Y., on December 22, 1830. In 1886 the family moved to Waterloo, Seneca county, and thence, in 1838, to Yates county, N. Y., and, in 1841, to Keating township, McKean Co., Penn., where they located on a farm adjoining the one now occupied by Niftier C. Here the parents reared their family of six children, named as follows: Jacob F., Catherine M., George i., miller C., Hiram S. and Lydia E. The father died in August, 1864, and his widow then made her residence with our subject until her death, in February, 1880. Miller C. returned to Columbia county, N. Y.. in I855, and in May of that year married Miss Catherine E., daughter of W. H. Hurd. He remained the following summer in Columbia county, working for his uncle, Jacob Teal, at $12 per month, until November 1, whoa, with his wife, he returned to McKean county, Penn., and settled on the farm he still lives on, and engaged in lumbering and clearing up his place. His first purchase was a contract for twenty-four acres, then in the hands of a third party, with about two acres improved. As fast as he acquired moans he bought of his neighbors who wanted to go west, and in this manner secured five different lots, which comprise his present homestead. He has now one of the largest barns in the county, it being 100xS0 feet, with outside posts twenty-four feet long; it has forty windows and a mow for hay 100 feet long. In addition to the homestead he owns several other farms, some timber land, and considerable village property. In politics Mr. Stickles is a Republican, and has filled many official positions in the township, in fact he is one of the most substantial and influential citizens. To revert to the pioneer days, a recital 'of the following circumstances may not prove uninteresting: When Stephen Stickles arrived in Keating township he had but 82.50 left, and had but one acquaintance in his neighborhood, P. B. Fuller. Work was scarce and wages very low, and the father and boys went to making shingles, which brought 75 cents per thousand, and "store pay" at that; having little or no hay they chopped browse for the cow and yearling once a day, and thus worried through the winter of 1841-42. In the spring of 1842, the father, having a net, caught thousands of wild pigeons, but, as there was no market for them, he hired himself and his net to his neighbors at $2 per day, capturing 500 to 2,000 per diem. In 1844 Miller C. Stickles began carrying the marl for Capt. A. H. Cory from Smethport to Great Valley, N. Y., via the Tunuanguant, a distance of thirty-six miles, going on horseback one day and returning the next day; for this service he received 25 cents per day. John F. Melvin was the postmaster at Kendall Creek, and A. K. Johnson, deputy. The next post-office was at Rice's, two or three miles south of the mouth of Tunuanguant creek, but there was no bridge, and the Allegany river had to be forded. The next post-office was at Kill Buck, with John Green in charge, and the next office was at Great Valley, of which Daniel Farrington was postmaster, and there Mr. Stickles passed the night. At times the trip would reach far into the night, as late, very often, as ll o'clock. This contract ended in July, 1848, when Mr. Stickles entered into a new one with Lemuel Southwick, to carry the mail from Smethport, to Bellefoute, a distance of 126 miles. At that time the turnpike went over Bunker Hill and through Williamsville and Montmorency to Ridgway; the next office was at Hyetts, seven miles from Ridgway; the next at Caledonia, on Bennett's Branch; then, from Caledonia through the Twenty-four-Mile woods to the Dutch settlement or Karthaus; thence to Snow Shoe; thence down Four-mile Mountain to Milesburg; thence to Bellefonte, the round trip consuming six days, and the recompense being 35 cents per day. In 1849 Mr. Stickles carried the mail for John G. Young from Smethport to Coudersport; then from Coudersport on to Wellsborough, and then back to Smethport, the trip consuming four days, for which he received $1.50 per round trip. Mr. Stickles was one of the most successful pigeon trappers in McKean county. In 1854 W. S. Oviatt agreed to pay him 31 cents per dozen for all" he could catch between April until May 4. Mr. Stickles trapped, April 4, 5 and 6, and in three days earned $76.25; he could easily have made $2,000 had he trapped until May 4, but after netting during the three days mentioned; the market dropped to 10 cents per dozen. In 1868, however, prices were good, reaching $1 per dozen, and Mr. Stickles caught over 1,200 dozens, in one forenoon capturing 105 dozens.
JAMES H. STULL, proprietor of meat market, East Smethport, is the eldest son of John and Phebe Stull, and was born at Eldred, McKean Co., Penn., in 1839. John Stull was born in Reading, Steuben Co., N. Y., in December, 1808, and his father, Joseph Stull, settled in what is now Eldred township, McKean county, in 1808, during the winter, reaching his destination by traveling on the ice, Jacob, brother of Joseph, accompanying him. They each cleared a ten-acre lot, when they discovered they were on a 600-acre. tract owned by others and were compelled to remove. Joseph came to what is now Stull Town, McKean county, cleared a farm, and remained there throughout his life, dying at the age of ninety-one years and ten months. His children were Alma, Abram, John, Abbey, Camilla, Baker, Lorinda, Mary, Jerome, George and Joseph. John, the second son of Joseph Stall, married Phebe Windsor, In 1831, located in Pennsylvania, and afterward in New York, remaining seventeen years, when he returned to Eldred and worked at his trade, that of carpenter and joiner. In 1884 he removed to Smethport, and has his home with his son, James H. His wife died September 17, 1883. Their children were James H., Phebe M., Almeda, John E. and D. L. James It. Stull married, in 1870, M. E. Keyes, and after their marriage they located on a farm in Eldred township, where they remained until 1883, when they removed to East Smethport, where Mr. Stull has since been engaged in his present business. They have four children: Myrtie, Cora, Grace and Hattie. Mr. Stull enlisted October 21, 1861, in Company H, One Hundred and Tenth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, which was afterward consolidated with the :Fifty-eighth Regiment, and he was transferred to Company D, Fourth United States Light Artillery, in which he served until February, 1867. He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, Knights of the Maccabees, and in politics is a Republican.
A. N. TAYLOR (deceased) was a native of Madison county, N. Y., and was born June 11, 1822, of English descent, and died May 15, 1876, the result of a fall, on September 25, 1875. Some time in the last century Robert and James Taylor came from England, and April 10, 1785, the first named married Sally Bailey, at Groton, Conn., but was lost at sea about six months before his son, James, came into the world.- Sally Taylor then married John Bailey, May 31, 1796, and by him was the mother of several children; again becoming a widow, she next intermarried, June 5, 1810, with Daniel Goth. Deacon James Taylor, son of Robert and Sally (Bailey) Taylor, was born at New London, Conn., December 28, 1788, and January 14, 1811, he married at Franklin, Delaware Co., N. Y., Lois Niles, who was born August 28, l 787, at Colchester, Coon., and they had a family of seven children, the subject of this sketch being the fifth child in order of birth. June 13, 1824, the family moved to McKean county, and settled on a backwoods farm. The father, James Taylor, was elected the second sheriff of McKean county. A. N. Taylor very early gave evidence of the untiring and indomitable energy that was so prominent a characteristic of his life, and, having a taste for mercantile business, at about the age of nineteen he entered, as a clerk, the store of Hawkins, Ford & Taylor, his father being one of the partners in the firm. Two years later he formed a partnership with his father, and commenced business in the old Astor building. A few years later he bought out his father's interest in the business, and built a store adjoining the Astor House, which he occupied until it was burned down in the fire of March 28, 1868. He afterward moved his store to the Sartwell block. When he first commenced business he had but $400 in the world. Although it is impossible to give a correct estimate, it is believed by those best acquainted with his affairs, that he was worth at the time of his death not less than $300,000. March 1, 1849, he became united in marriage with Ann E., daughter of William E. and Betsy A. (Bard) Fuller, and born December 28, 1828, at Unadilla, Otsego Co., N. Y. Five years after her birth her parents moved to Mexico, Oswego county, where her father carried on farming, and where he died May 4, 1854; her mother died at the age of twenty-six, December 28, l831. Mrs. Ann E. Taylor comes of "Mayflower" ancestry, her great-grandfather having been one of the Lutheran ministers who crossed the ocean on that historic vessel. Her grandfather, Isaac Fuller, was a lieutenant under Washington, and was promoted on the field of Bunker Hill, where he was wounded; he was a native of New Hampshire, where he married a German lady, their children being William E., father of Mrs. Taylor, and Christopher, formerly a Presbyterian clergyman of Rochester, N. Y., now deceased. By the marriage of William E. Fuller and Betsy A. Bard three children were born, viz.: Ann E., Charlotte T. (now deceased, who married the late Hen. L. T. Moore, of Emporium, Penn., who in his lifetime had been made the recipient of various political honors) and M. C. (of Bedford, Iowa). To the union of A. N. Taylor and Ann E. :Fuller were born three children: Ada M. (now Mrs. D. C. Young), Frank N. and Flora C. (now Mrs. J. J. Newman). A. N. Taylor was a man of remarkable business capacity, and should be classed among the most successful men of our day and time. His entire heart and mind was in his business during his earlier days. He was keen and shrewd, quick to detect the weakness of an opponent, and improve an opportunity of favorable investment. Many men may have complained that he was a hard man to deal with, yet the assertion can be ventured, without fear of successful contradiction, that no man whom he believed to be dealing honestly and fairly by him was ever oppressed or wronged by his authority, and that no man in McKean county was found to be more sympathetic and tender hearted when approached in a proper manner. He was a business man in every sense. He expected men to live up to their obligations. He took all manner of chances, and gave accommodation and time to men whom no other merchants would trust, in hundreds of eases. The loss that McKean county, and the borough of Smethport especially, sustains in the death of A. N. Taylor can not at once be estimated. When a town loses one of its ablest, most energetic, successful and wealthiest business men, the loss is not f-ally repaired in years. At the time of his fatal fall he had in contemplation the use of a portion of his ample means for the building up and improvement of the borough, and had already taken energetic steps in that direction. He left a widow and three children, one son and two daughters; and though well provided for as to the things of this world, nothing cart fully compensate the loss of a kind and wisely indulgent father and husband. Mr. Taylor, always a Republican in politics from the organization of the party, was once elected associate judge by an overwhelming majority. During the dab's of the Civil war he had the fullest faith in the ultimate success of the Union arms, and he had lost since that time none of his love for the principles of his party or his zeal for their success.
EDWARD It. TAYLOR, merchant, Smethport, is a son of John B. and Elizabeth (Holcomb) Taylor, and was born in Smethport, McKean Co., Penn., in 1858. His father was a native of Burlington. Otsego Co., N. Y., and his mother of Granby, Conn. They each came to Smethport with their parents, and were hero married. They had a family of twelve children, seven of whom are living: James V., John L., Myrtilla E., Mary E., Maria A., Edward It. and Ezra V. Edward It. Taylor was reared and received his education at Smethport, and at Randolph, N.Y. After the completion of his studies he engaged in jobbing, and eventually became one of the merchants of Smethport, dealing in boots, shoes and groceries. He married, in 1886, Laura M., daughter of H. M. Reynolds, of Mansfield, Tioga Co., Penn., and they have two sons, John H. and George R. (latter born April 4, l889). James Taylor, grandfather of Edward H., was among the pioneers of the county, locating here in 1824, when the country was a wilderness. Mr. E. It. Taylor is a Republican in his political views.
JAMES M. TRACY, postmaster and merchant, East Smethport, was born in Philadelphia, Penn., in April, 1844, a son of Edward and Bridget (Riley) Tracy, natives of County Cavan, Ireland. They came to Philadelphia from their native land, but, thinking a newer country better adapted to their needs, came to Keating township, McKean county, in 1842, and purchased a tract of land for a farm. They wore the parents of seven children, James M. being the third son, who during his youth attended the common schools and worked upon the farm. After his marriage, Mr. Tracy remained upon the farm with his parents until September, 1876, when he came to East Smethport, where he erected the building he now occupies, and engaged in mercantile business. Mr. Tracy married in Juno, 1863, Miss Ann, daughter of Bernard and Ann (Gallagher) Burns, natives of Ireland, who came to Union City, Erie Co., Penn., in 1845. Five children have blessed this union, viz. : Thomas A., Mary E., Lillie E., Annie E. and Paul E. In July, 1885, Mr. Tracy was appointed postmaster at East Smethport, which office he still retains. In politics Mr. Tracy is a Democrat, and he and his family belong to the Catholic Church.
F. E. TULL, merchant, Smethport, was born in Bath, N. Y., August 25, 1846, the only son of three children born to R. D. and Harriet (Colegrove) Tull, natives of New York State, who came to Ceres township, McKean Co., Penn., in 1860. He was educated at Portville, N. Y., and his boyhood days were spent with his parents upon the home farm. He married, in February, 1873, Miss Almira, daughter of Luther and Sophia (Maxon) Eastman, of Portville, N. Y., and they are the parents of two children, Herman and Ethel, both of whom reside at home. Mr. Tall, in 1875, engaged in mercantile business. and became postmaster at Myrtle, Penn., which he continued until June, 1887, when he sold his business out to J. C. Burt, and went to Ceres, Penn., engaging as a drug clerk. From there he moved to Eldred, Penn., where he embarked in the clothing trade. Here he remained until March, 1889, when he came to Smethport and engaged in his present business. Mr. Tull served for six years as justice of the peace in Ceres township, and has held various township offices. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. of Eldred, Penn., and of the K. O. T.M. In politics he is a Republican.
MANVILLE TUTTLE, farmer and lumberman, P. O. Coryvllle, a son of Daniel and Lucina Turtle, was born in Freetown, Cortland Co., N. Y., in 1815, and with his father removed to Wellsville, N. Y., in 1837, where the father died in 18427 the mother having died in Freetown, N. Y., in 1828. Manville Turtle came to Pennsylvania about 1845, locating at Turtle Point, McKean county; eventually he purchased the farm he now owns in Keating township, McKean county, where he is interested in business as a lumberman and farmer. In 1838 he married Cordelia Kent. daughter of R. C. and Prudence Kent, and they have had a family of seven children, of whom but two are living: Prudence L., now Mrs. Orson Cory, and F. S., on a farm opposite the old homestead. Mr. Turtle is a Republican in politics, and is a prominent man in this portion of the county.
JOHN K. WILLIAMS, born August 22, 1822, died April 4, 1880, was the first white child born in Smethport. He read law under W. At. Williams, and was admitted to the bar of his native county, June 6, 1846. For two years before his admission he was Prothonotary Hamlin's deputy. In the summer of 1846. he moved to Wisconsin, where he died. He was named by John Keating after himself, and received from the great land owner a silver dollar, which his mother invested in the purchase of a sheep, and this investment yielded $200 by 1846, which then was forwarded to Wisconsin.
G. W. WILLIAMS, merchant, Smethport, was born in Canton. St. Lawrence Co., N. Y., August 7, 1882, and began his studies there, completing them in Franklin county. He commenced business life as a grocer, in Burlington, Yr., and afterward removed to Franklin county, where he went into the cattle business, from that to mercantile business, remaining until 1877, when he went to Bradford, Penn., and engaged in the livery business, and later removed to Red Rock, eventually locating in Smethport, where he is now dealing in groceries and meats. Mr. Williams married Candace C. Lyon, in 1866, and they have two sons: Ezra L. and Joseph G. He is a member of the Select Knights of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and North Star Lodge, F. & A. M., of New York. Politically he is a Republican.
CLARK WILSON, the present editor and publisher of the McKean Democrat, is now a few months over sixty-two years of age, and has perhaps devoted as much time as editor and publisher as any man living in the State. He is of Irish descent, his parents having emigrated at an early day from a part of Ireland, adjacent to Scotland, his father leaving Ireland when about nineteen years old, and his mother at the age of nine. They were strict Presbyterians during all their lives and raised their family in the same faith. Clark Wilson went as an apprentice to the printing business when twelve years of age, and served no less than seven years before he graduated as a journeyman printer. A few years after finishing his trade, he commenced business as one of the editors and publishers of the Jeffersonian, published at Brookville, Jefferson Co., Penn. He afterward established and published for some time the Mahoning Register, at Punxsutawney, same county, then became one of the editors and proprietors of the Clearfield Republican, a radical Democratic sheet published in the town of Clearfield, Penn. Next Mr. Wilson appears as editor, publisher and proprietor of the Democratic Messenger, a paper which he established and published for over five years, in the town of Indiana, Indiana Co., Penn. He then served five years as editor of the Union Herald, a Democratic paper published in Butler, Butler Co., Penn., after which he was for a time editor and publisher of the Democrat and Sentinel, at Ebensburg, Cambria Co., Penn. He next established and for ten years edited and published, as an independent paper, the Oilman's Journal, at Parker's Landing, Armstrong Co., Penn. Last, and perhaps least, the past ten or eleven years of Mr. Wilson's life have been spent in publishing the McKean Democrat, established by him at Smethport, McKean Co., Penn., May 20, 1879. He claims to have labored under many disadvantages during his career as a journalist here, and if favored with life and health will probably make a better showing hereafter. Mr. Wilson was married when about twenty-three years of age, to Miss Cornelia A. Magee, of Clearfield, Clearfield Co., Penn., and five children were born to them, four of whom are still living, one son and three daughters. The son, like his father, took to the printing business, and has been for some years engaged as editor and publisher of the Public Spirit, an independent Democratic paper, published in the town of Clearfield, Penn. In 1860 the subject of this notice was appointed deputy marshal, and took the census of the northern part, about one-half, of Indiana county. In 1888 he was appointed by President Cleveland postmaster at Smethport, Penn., and on June 11, same year, he took charge of the office and continued, assisted by two of his daughters, to discharge the duties pertaining thereto up to April, 1890. His successor, E. M. Kerns, was appointed in July, l889.
CHARLES C. WRIGHT, lumberman, P. O. Coleville, is a son of Rensselaer and Sally (Moore) Wright, and was born at Smethport, McKean Co., Penn., in 1829. His father came from Delaware county, N. Y., and located at Eldred, Penn., where he was engaged in farming; was also the proprietor of a hotel and quite extensively engaged in the lumber business. His family consisted of eleven children, six of whom are living, viz. : Charles C., James, Martha, Sally, Maria and Junius. Mr. Rensselaer Wright was one of the first commissioners of McKean county, and in 1829 was elected sheriff of the county. During his official career he went to Philadelphia on horseback, and returning brought with him funds necessary for the erection of the first court-house of McKean county. He was emphatically a self-made man, and held a deservedly high place among the representative men of his day. He died in 1884 and his wife in 1881. Charles C. Wright was reared and educated in Eldred, and on starting in life for himself located on Cole creek, in Keating township, on the place he still owns, where he erected a steam saw-mill, and is now known as one of the extensive lumbermen of McKean county. Mr. Wright married Jerusha Dennis, and to them were born six children: Victor C., J. B., William, Delbert, Lillie J. and Milton. Mrs. Wright died in 1877, and in 1879 Mr. Wright married Miss Madison. Mr. Wright takes an active interest in the questions of the day, and is a supporter of the principles of the Republican party, of which he is a prominent member.
B. F. WRIGHT, proprietor of Wright's Hotel, Smethport, was born in Madison county, N. Y., in 1835. He removed to Oneida county, thence to Lima, Livingston Co., N. Y,, and completed his education at the seminary there, after which he visited the West. In 1859 he removed to Smethport, and at the beginning of the war enlisted in Company C, First P. R.V.C. He was wounded at the battle of South Mountain, Md., and received a second wound at Spottsylvania Court House in 1864. On July 3, 1865, he was mustered out of the service, and returning to Smethport accepted a position with the Lafayette Coal Company at Lafayette. In the fall of 1866 he was elected sheriff of McKean county, serving one term of three years. In 1875 he built the hotel named after himself, becoming its proprietor, and being one of the representative men of the county, social and courteous with his guests, and having a large and favorable acquaintance, Wright's Hotel is well and favorably known. He is a member of McKean Lodge, F. &A. M., No. 388, of Lodge No. 183, A. O. U. W., and of the G. A.R. He is a worker in the Republican party. In 1859 he married Miss Catharine L., daughter of O. L. Bennett, and they have five children: F.O. (an only son), Ella, Lena, and Lucy and Elida (twins).
HENRY WRIGHT, farmer, P. O. Smethport, son of Pardon and Clarissa Wright, was born in Cattaraugus eouuty, N. Y., in 1849. With his parents he removed to Wearing township, McKean Co., Penn., where they engaged in farming. They had a family of four children, viz. : Helen A., June, Mandana and Henry. Pardon Wright died October 23, :1885, and his widow has her home with her son, Henry. Henry Wright, in 1875, married Mary, daughter of Charles Guenther, formerly of Smethport, and they are the parents of four children: Mollie G.. William H., W. Leo and Sarah Alice. Mr. Wright is a supporter of the principles of the Republican party, and was elected auditor in 1889. He owns and operates a farm on Marvin creek, in Keating township. Mrs. Mary Wright, for several years before her marriage, was a school-teacher of some note.
D. C. YOUNG, merchant, Smethport, son of Arthur and Laminda (Stull) Young, was born May 5, 1843, at Farmers Valley, McKean Co., Penn. His parents were among the early settlers of that county, and his paternal great-grandfather, William Young, was a native of Providence, R. I., where he married and became the father of a numerous family of children, and where he lived and died. Stephen, a son of William Young, removed to Norwich, Chenango Co., N. Y., when that county was comparatively in a state of nature, and then married Betsy Greene and reared a family of ten children. Removing with his family to Norwich township, McKean Co., Penn., he purchased lands and followed farming until his decease in 1841, Betsy, his widow, surviving him until 1858. Their children were as follows: Clinton, Edward, Anna, Hannah, Arthur, Betsy, Harriet, Stephen, Malvina and William. The parents of Lucinda Stull, mother of D. C. Young, were also among the pioneers of McKean county, her father having located in Eldred township in 1811. Arthur, the third son of Stephen and Betsy Young, was born at Norwich, Chenango Co., N. Y., in 1813, and with his parents removed to McKean county, Norwich township, settling in 1821. When a boy of fourteen years of age he engaged in trapping for mink and otter, and after making a sale of his furs he found himself in possession of a sufficient sum of money to enable him to purchase a gun. Later he became one of the noted hunters of his day, and had the reputation of having killed a greater number of deer, bears, panthers and wildcats, than any other individual in the county. This gun, his first purchase, which he always used in his expeditions in search of game, he be queathed to his son, D. C., who cherishes it as a most valuable heirloom. Educational advantages were not as great then as now, and Arthur Young's experience in that connection was of a practical nature. After his marriage he engaged in farming, and became one of the successful agriculturists of McKean county. He was a member of the Democratic party until 1858, when he enlisted in the ranks of the supporters of Fremont, and ever after was identified with the Republican party. He never sought political preferment. choosing the enjoyment of the borne circle rather than the more exciting field of polities. His death occurred in 1879; his widow still has her residence upon the old homestead farm. D.C. Young, the subject of these lines, after attending the common schools at home, completed his education at Alfred University, Alfred Centre, Allegany Co., N. Y., after which he, in 1865, began his mercantile career as an employee of A. N. Taylor, at Smethport, Penn., with whom he remained three years, when he accepted a similar position with Henry Hamlin, of same place, serving him for a like period of time; then, in 1871, he became associated with his former employer, A. N. Taylor, as dealers in general merchandise. This partnership, however, was dissolved in 1875, and Mr. Young removed to Larrabee, McKean Co., Penn., where he carried on business for six years, and where he also owned (and yet owns) a large stock farm. In 1881 he returned to Smethport, where he has since been engaged in business, and is now one of the representative men and leading successful merchants of the place. In 1871 Mr. Young married Ada M., daughter of the late Hon. A. N. Taylor, of Smethport, and has three children: Raymond, Louis and Aria. He is a member of Smethport Lodge, No. 388, F. & A. M., Arnold Chapter, No. 254, R. A. M., of Port Allegany, and of Trinity Commandery, No. 58, K. T., of Bradford. In politics he is a Republican.
H. A. YOUNG, farmer and lumberman, P. O. Farmers Valley, is a son of Arthur and Laurinda H. (Stull) Young, and was born in Keating township, McKean Co., Penn., in 18'45. Here he was reared and educated, and in July, 1862, he enlisted in Company G, One Hundred and Fiftieth P. V.I. At the battle of Gettysburg he received a wound which disabled him, but nevertheless he continued in the service until August, 1865. After the close of the war he was mustered out, returned to his home in Keating township, and in 1869 married Miss Ocelia N. Howell. The young couple located on the farm he now owns in Keating township, where he has since been extensively engaged in the lumber trade and in farming. To Mr. and Mrs. Young six children have been born: Arthur L., Mettie E., Eunice, Floyd A., Ada E. and Clinton B., all at home. Mr. Young is a member of the G. A. R. For three terms he has served as supervisor of the township, a position he now holds. He is a supporter of the Republican party, is active in politics, and is a prominent and representative man of his township.
WILLIAM A. YOUNG, farmer and lumberer, P. O. Farmers Valley, is the third son of Arthur and Laurinda H. (Stull) Young, and was born in Keating township, June 28, 1856, on the farm he now owns. His mother was the daughter of Joseph and Belinda (Brewer) Stull, and was born in Stull Town, McKean Co., Penn., in April, 1818. Her father was a native of Sussex county, N. J., and his parents removed to Elmira, N. Y., when he was a child of seven years of age. There he was married, and later he removed to Steuben county. N. Y.. and thence to. Sartwell, McKean Co., Penn., and a little later located in Stull Town Their children were Alma (who married Lyons Dodge, and removed to Ohio, where she died), Abram (who died in Stull Town), John (now a resident of East Smethport), Abbey (now a resident of Port Allegany. McKean county, and who married Joseph DeLong), Camilla (now Mrs. John L. Daniels, of Scioto county, Ohio), Caleb B. (deceased), Laurinda H., Mary (widow of the late John Nolan, of Emporium, Cameron county), Jerome (of Keating township), George (deceased) and Joseph (of Stull Town). The maternal grandmother of W. A. Young, Delinda Stull, died in 1862, and the grandfather, Joseph Stall, died in 1866. Laurinda H. Stull was educated in the common schools, and attended the academy at Smethport one term. In 1842 she was married to Arthur Young, and located on the farm now owned by William A. Young, in Keating township, where they reared a family of seven children, viz. : Violetta, Flora E., Alma (deceased), D. C., H. A., William A. and Gardner. Stephen Young, paternal grandfather of William A., was born June 25, l779, and married Betsy Green, July 16, 1803. Their children were Clinton, Edward G., Anna T., Hannah, Arthur, Betsy, Harriet, Stephen D., Amanda M. and William, of whom Edward G. is the sole survivor. Stephen, their father, died July 16, 1840, and Betsy, their mother, in March, 1858. William A. Young was reared and educated in his native township. October 80, 1S78, he married Jane, daughter of Augustus Day, formerly of Farmers Valley, Penn., and they located at the old Young homestead, where he has since been extensively engaged in lumbering and farming. Mr. and Mrs. Young have five children, viz. : Ella, Edith, Ruth, Frank and Lena. Mr. Young is a member of the I. O. O. F., lodge and encampment, at Smethport. He is identified with the Republican party, and has been supervisor of Keating township for two terms.