PAGenWeb McKean County, Pennsylvania
Elk, Cameron, and Potter, Pennsylvania
J.H. Beers, Chicago, 1890
Keating Township & Borough of Smethport Biographical Sketches
REV. J. J. GALLIGAN, pastor of the Church of St. Elizabeth, Smethport, is a son of James and Catherine Galligan, and was born in Ireland in 1848. He received his early education in the parish schools of his native county (Cavan), and his training in classics at St. Patrick's College in County Cavan, Ireland, from which he graduated June 21, 1871, coming to America August 19, 1872. September 1, 1872, he entered Allegany Seminary, on the Erie Railroad, west of Olean, N. Y., and was ordained a priest July 6, 1877. Father Galligan was first sent to Erie, Penn., thence to Titusville, same State, where he remained three years; then, on November 11, 1880, he came to Smethport, and has here since most worthily filled his present incumbency.
MRS. LAURA. ANN GALLUP, Smethport, is a daughter of Jonathan and Eliza Colegrove, and was born January 28, 1823, in Norwich township, McKean Co., Penn. Her father was a native of Sterling, Windham Co., Conn., but was chiefly reared in Griswold, Conn., and educated at Penfield Academy. On completing his studies he married Eliza Gallup, of same place, and removed to Norwich, Chenango Co., N. Y., where he followed agricultural pursuits and school-teaching until his removal, in 1875, to Sergeant (now Norwich) township, McKean Co., Penn., and to what is now known as Colegrove, where he was engaged in farming throughout his active life. He, however, was specially employed for a considerable time in the Bingham land office. Mr. and Mrs. Jonathan Colegrove reared a family of five children: Florilla (the late Mrs. Daniel Rifle, of Norwich township, McKean county), Horace (who died in Norwich township January 16, 1888), W. J. (the present agent for the Ridgway estate in Smethport) and Laura Ette and Laura Ann (twins). The mother of this family died February 27, 1859, and the father April 11, 1872. Laura Ann Gallup, the subject proper of this biographical record, married, December 29, 1844, in Norwich township, Philetus Gallup, who was born October 12, 1822, a son of Cagswell and Dinah (Edwards) Gallup. Philetus located in Keating township, McKean Co., Penn., where he became engaged in farming and lumbering, and was also owner and proprietor of a sawmill. Mr. and Mrs. Philetus Gallup had a family of six children: Eliza, Dollie, Ella, J. C., Albert and Lincoln. Mr. Gallup died September 30, 1878. He was one of the prominent and representative men of this portion of the county. Politically he was a Republican. Mrs. Gallup is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
EBEN GALLUP, farmer, P. O. Smethport, son of Nathaniel C. and Dinah (Edmunds) Gallup, was born in Norwich township, McKean Co., Penn., in 1821. Nathaniel C. Gallup was among the first settlers of the county. He was a native of Connecticut, where he married, and where three of his children were born, viz. : Jabez, Andrew (deceased) and Orrin (deceased). He located in Norwich township, bought a tract of land and built the first saw-and grist-mill on Potato creek. When he came to this county it was in the green woods, and the country was infested with wild animals. At one time. when on his way to this part of the country with a load of mill-iron and a quantity of pork, he was fiercely attacked by a pack of ravenous wolves. Being far from any assistance he was compelled, in self-preservation, to build fires around his team to keep the wolves from devouring the whole outfit. The children born to Nathaniel C. Gallup in McKean county were Nathaniel C., Jr. (deceased), California, Daniel, Eben, Philetus (deceased), Orlando (deceased), and Alfred. The mother died, and the father married, for his second wife, Indiana Arnold, by whom he had one child, Arnold. The father died in 1833. Eben Gallup was twelve years old when his father died, and he made his home with his brother, Jabez, until 1849, when he married Phebe Windsor, and located in Keating township, on the farm he now owns. He has been engaged all his life in farming, and is one of the successful men of the township. Mr. and Mrs. Gallup have two children: Emma (now Mrs. Warley Gifford) and Carrie (now Mrs. Fred Smith), and two grandchildren: Roy and Ethel Gifford. ' Mr. Gallup, in politics, is a Democrat. He received the nomination for county commissioner, though defeated at the polls, but has occupied various official positions in his township. Mrs. Gallup is a Seventh-Day Baptist, while her daughters are Episcopalians.
W. D. GALLUP, merchant, Smethport, is a son of Daniel and Lucina Gallup, and was born in Norwich, McKean Co., Penn., in 1846. His grandfather, Nathaniel C. Gallup, was a native of Connecticut, and removed to Norwich at a very early day, where he lived and died. He reared a family of ten children, five of whom still survive: Gabez F., of Hamlin township, McKean county; Daniel, of Norwich; Eben and Alfred D., of Keating; and Mrs. Philetus Corwin, of Foster township. Daniel, father of W. D., was born in Norwich. He has devoted his attention to agriculture, and still lives in his native place. His wife died in 1848. They had two children: Nathaniel C., of Norwich, and W. D. W. D. Gallup began his business life as an employee of the Hen. Henry Hamlin, with whom he remained four years, when he accepted a position at Emporium, where he also remained four years; he then returned to Smethport, and was with A. N. Taylor until his decease, and continued about a year after with Frank N. Taylor. In 1877 he engaged in business at the old Sartwell store, on Main street, as dealer in general merchandise, and in 1881 removed to the one he now occupies. He is a member of McKean Lodge, No. 388, F. & A. M. ; Bradford Chapter, No. 260, R. A. M., and Trinity Commandery, No. 58, K.T. He is a Republican in politics, and in the fall of 1877 was elected treasurer of McKean county; in 1885 he was elected county commissioner. He married, in 1871, Miss Elizabeth Shepard, daughter of David V. Shepard, and their union has been blessed with two children--one son and one daughter--Fred D. and Rena May.
SETH J. GIFFORD, lumber manufacturer, Smethport, son of William and Fanny L. (Hackett) Gifford, was born in Keating township, two miles east of Smethport, in 1847. His grandfather, Job Gifford, was a native of New Jersey, where he married Nancy Woodruff, and then removed to Norwich township, McKean Co., Penn. Here they reared a family of twelve children, namely: Jonathan, David, Sarah, William, Henry, :Eliza, Job, Alexander, Rejoice, Leander, Jane and Alonzo. The parents of these children died a few years age, having lived to a ripe old age. They were among the early settlers of the county, and endured all the privations and hardships of pioneer life. William, father of Seth J., was born in Norwich township, McKean county, in 1820, and eventually married and located in Keating township, and became a farmer. He has been a member of the Baptist Church for many years. He was the father of six children: Zavalia D., Seth J., Wasley, Leander D., Jennie E. and Will S. The father has sold the old homestead, and is now a resident of Smethport. He has served his township. in various official capacities. Seth J., his second son, received his education in the public schools of Smethport. He began his business career in 1866, when he removed to Corry and became engaged in the construction of a railroad. He next became a contractor and builder at Smethport, and among other buildings erected Wright's hotel and the first extract works here. He also purchased a saw-mill, and for a couple of years manufactured hemlock lumber. He built a new mill, and entered into a contract with H. F. Goodyear, and in three, years sawed 16,000,000 feet of lumber for him; he has since made an agreement with the Allegheny Lumber Company, sawing from twelve to fifteen million feet annually for them, and has now purchased a property of the Allegheny Lumber Company, which gives him the controlling interest in the plant at this point. He received the appointment of inspector-general of the Pennsylvania Storage Company, but owing to his large interest was compelled to resign. He was also urged by his friends to accept the nomination of State senator, but business cares prevented his acceptance. He is identified with the Democratic party, has been burgess of the borough, school director, etc.: and also a member of the fire department. Mr. Gifford is one of the live business men of Smethport, and is one of the heavy operators in hemlock lumber in Northern Pennsylvania.
I. S. GLEASON, harness maker, Smethport, is a son of Amos and Polly (Sins) Gleasen, and was born in Livingston county, N. Y., in 1828. His parents removed to Warsaw, Wyoming county, same State, where his mother died in 1843, after which his father made his home with a daughter in Livingston county until his death. I.S. Gleason received but a limited education, laboring under difficulties common to many, and in 1844, when but sixteen years of age, he became an apprentice in a harness shop in Warsaw, N. Y., where he remained until January, 1851. He removed to Smethport January 11, 1851, where he was an employee of Steele & Johnson for three years; then went into the harness business for himself, and has occupied his present store since 1855. He married Emily A. Corwin in 1854, and they have had two children: Dora M. (deceased) and Ralph C. Mr. Gleason is a Republican in politics. He appreciates the desirability of affording proper educational advantages to children, and was a member of the school board in the borough during the erection of its very elegant school building, in which he justly takes great pride. The family attend the Methodist Episcopal Church.
IRA M. GODFREY, Farmers Valley, son of David P. and Amanda M. Godfrey, was born at Clean, N. Y., in 1857, where he was reared and educated. He began his business life at Farmers Valley, McKean Co., Penn., as clerk in the employ of F. C. Olds, a dealer in general merchandise at that place, a position he still holds. He married in 1885 Miss Maud, daughter of Daniel E. Williams, of Black Creek, Allegany Co., N. Y., after which they located in Farmers Valley, their present residence. They have two children: Mabel and Elmer Lee. Mr. Godfrey is a member of the Sons of Temperance, and a Republican in politics. Mr. D. P. Godfrey, with his wife, was among the early settlers of Clean, N. Y., where he is a prosperous farmer. Mrs. Ira M. Godfrey's father was a soldier in the Civil war, but returned broken down in health, and died while his daughter, Maud, was yet a child. Mrs. L. S. Williams, mother of Mrs. Ira M. Godfrey, still lives at Black Creek, and is highly respected by all who know her.
SHERIDAN GORTON, attorney at law, Smethport, was born at Phillips-burg (now known as Belmont), Allegany Co., N. Y., in October, 1848 After finishing his studies he taught school in his native county and in Oakland county, Mich. tie began the study of law with the l:Ion. Wilkes Angel, of Belmont, but about 1870 accepted a position which necessitated his traveling for about four years; he afterward completed the study of law with S. M. Norton, of Friendship, N. Y., and June 5, 1877, was admitted to the bar of the State of New York. He became associated in the practice of law with J. C. Backus, B. A., which continued until the death of Mr. Ruckus, October 26, 1888, since which time Mr. Gorton has retained the old office, and is engaged in business as before. In June, 1878, he married Lucy C., daughter of Judson G. Eaton, of Smethport, and they have three children--boys--now tens eight and one years of age, respectively. Mr. Gorton is a prominent member of the A. O. U. W., and an officer in the grand lodge. Politically he is a Republican. His father, Sheridan Gotten, died in May, 1848, and his mother afterward married W. D. Renwick, of Allegany county, N. Y., a prominent teacher, who was school commissioner of that county for a period of six years, and they now have their home at Friendship. The mother of Sheridan Gorton bore the maiden name of Abigail Norton, and was the eldest daughter of Joseph B. Norton, one of the pioneers of Allegany county, N. Y., who died in 1882, at the age of eighty-two years.
ORLO J. HAMLIN, whose name is identified with the old bar of this district as the pioneer and leading lawyer of that bar in this county, came to Smethport in December, 1826. tie was born at Sharon, Conn., December 2, 1803, but at the age of eleven years moved to Pennsylvania with his parents, where, in Wayne and Bradford counties, he resided until the date of his settlement in McKean county. Sometime during the year 1824 he was appointed teacher of the pioneer school at Towanda, Bradford county. While holding that position, he read law in the office of Simon Kinney, and there was admitted to the bar two years later. In the fall of 1826, determining to seek his fortune in a newer country, he set out for Warren, Penn. From his pencil notes of this trip, the description of the country from Galeton to Coudersport, given in the local chapters of Potter county, is taken; while his reminiscences of his first twenty-four hours at Smethport are given in the chapters on the comes and bar, and in the one on Smethport. Shortly after his arrival at Smethport, he was called upon by John King (the agent of the Keatings), Jonathan Cole-grove (the agent of the Ridgways) and Solomon Sartwell (the lumberman and merchant), who received him cordially, and prevailed upon him to make his home among them. He came a little too late to participate in the proceedings of the first court (September, 1826), but was in time for the December term, when he and John W. Howe were admitted ex gratia members of the bar of McKean county. In the summer of 1828 Miss Orra L. Cogswell arrived from Connecticut on a visit to her uncle, Jonathan Colegrove. By this time the young lawyer had won the esteem of the pioneers, and it is not a matter for wonder to learn that his suit for Miss Cogswell's heart and hand was favorably received by the grim old soldier of 1812, who was de facto guardian of the young lady's interests during her absence from Connecticut. The marriage of the pioneer lawyer and Miss Cogswell was solemnized that year, and for over half a century they resided here together, the center of a large circle of friends and of a happy family. In 1831 and 1832 Mr. Hamlin wrote the historical sketch published in Hazzard's Gazetteer of that year, the first history ever written of any section of the district. His political life may be said to have begun in 1828, when he took a leading part in the campaign. Four years later he represented his district in the legislature, and in the winter of 1832-33 he urged the bill appropriating $20,000 for the improvement of the east and west State road through McKean county. His speech on this occasion continued for two hours, and won the attention of all readers throughout the commonwealth, owing to the excellence of the language, style and logical conclusion employed by the speaker. The bill, however, failed to receive a majority vote, as did also one for the extension of the canal up the north branch of the Susquehanna, which he earnestly espoused. Undeterred by the defeat of two such measures, he introduced a bill to organize the Eighteenth judicial district--Potter, McKean, Warren and Jefferson counties. He placed this measure before the house in such a strong light, that a legislature, which opposed everything necessitating further State or county taxes, was compelled to coincide with his views, so that, though the opposition was strong in numbers and influence, this bill was carried, and the perseverance of the young legislator rewarded. In the fall of 1833 he was nominated for re-election, but his name not being placed on the legislative ticket in Lycoming county, he withdrew, and in 1835 refused a third nomination unconditionally.
In his early years, Mr. Hamlin was somewhat skeptical with regard to the immortality of the soul, but in the year 1845 he became a member of the Presbyterian Church of Smethport, having received baptism at the hands of Rev. B. T. Babbitt of that communion. From that time to the close his faith grew stronger and more firm, as will be seen in the following lines written by himself, called:
Thoughts and Reflections
For a sick man whose sands of life are nearly run, when all experiments to regain health have failed, when even all possible hope is extinguished
and Fate has put on him the seal of despair, and there is naught to look to as the future of Earth, of all consolations
the ever busy imagination can unfold, the thought that he knows that God exists, that there is a God, and believes in Christ as his Mediator and Savior, and hopes for immortality, and believes that when life has once begun, we live forever ; that death, instead of being a cessation of life, is but a change. It may be a fanciful one, from mortal to immortal, that when we die we shall sleep, not so, but sleep with our fathers; and when we awaken from that sleep, be it long or short, we shall awaken to everlasting life. with our bodily infirmities, our diseases, our cares, our sorrows, our weaknesses, "both of body and mind, gone, all gone forever, being born again into a new. holy and perfect state of being. This is the most glorious, joyful, happy and, to find the fullest expression, most grand and sublime thought that can be conceived by mortals, arid the one of all others that gives me most happiness.
Mr. Hamlin's death took place, February, 13, 1880, the result of total exhaustion of the physical system. It was the end of an invalid condition of almost thirty years' duration, and consequently was painless and peaceful. His widow died April 17, 1881, in her seventy-sixth year, within that home in which she dwelt for fifty-three years. The fact of Mr. Hamlin's death was presented to the court in February, 1880, by Hen. C. B. Curtis, then residing in :Erie, but practicing in this court, when the official action, reported as follows, resulted. Mr. Curtis said: "If the court please, I wish to announce to the court and bar that Orlo J. Hamlin breathed his last in this town on the 13th day of the present month. The oldest practitioner which I know, and one of the oldest members of the bar which I know in Western Pennsylvania; I know of but one person now occupying that position. And I can not pass over the announcement of this fact, without some reference to the character of the deceased. Having been admitted here as early as 1826-almost fifty-four years ago, he must necessarily have formed some character for good or for evil in this community, as well as in the surrounding counties, where he was well known. And it is but just to his memory to say of the deceased, that no man ever practiced before this bar. who had a more unimpeachable record than the deceased. There are but few men whose whole life for integrity was so unquestioned, so white and pure as Orlo J. Hamlin's. While he bore that high character fully among his professional associates, he was held in the same high estimation by all classes who had intercourse with him. He also had this commendable merit besides: he was a lawyer in the true acceptance of the term, high-minded, conciliatory and honorable, not only in all of his relations with his professional brethren and the bench, but also in his intercourse with all classes of our citizens, who will long remember him with the highest respect for his high character as a good lawyer and citizen. 0rlo J. Hamlin was a thorough student, devoted to his books. As a practitioner, there was no member of this bar who came into court more thoroughly prepared, and master of the subject involved in the controversy than the deceased. He was, therefore, always prepared to make an able and learned presentation of his cause. Although Mr. Hamlin for many years had retired from the active labors of his profession, he nevertheless pursued his studies to the last, which seemed to relieve him somewhat from his pain and suffering, during so many years of sickness. Bright and promising as were his prospects in early life, yet they were somewhat clouded by delicate health, which finally settled down for a period of nearly thirty years into a sickness, making him a confirmed invalid during all these dreary years, and confined to his house, seeing but a few persons and conversing with but a few. But still, with all his afflictions, he bore them with Christian fortitude and grace, never forgetting the profession to which he belonged, never forgetting to hold aloft the high standard of that profession. And so he lived as to make his memory revered, not only in the county of McKean, which ought to be proud of his career, but in the counties surrounding wherever he was known; and wherever his character was known he will be regretted. And while his character may be held up as a model for the profession, it may also be alleged that he had a model character as a good citizen. And that is saying a great deal for the deceased. I have, in view of the character of Mr. Hamlin. and the occasion, drawn a resolution, asking for the appointment of a committee by this court to express the sentiments of this court and bar, in relation to the character of Orlo J. Hamlin, which I will now present to your honor."
Judge Williams said: "'Your idea, Mr. Curtis, is that this committee should report at a subsequent sitting of the court upon its action."Mr. Curtis:
"Yes sir; and that the resolutions be filed among the records
of the court."
Judge Williams: "Has any other gentleman, at this time, anything to urge upon this subject ?"
Mr. Backus: "Your Honor; I have been a member of the McKean county bar some twenty eight or thirty years. I knew O. J. Hamlin for some time previous to his being confined in consequence of ill health, and his retirement from the bar--probably some two years. I have known of his reputation pretty thoroughly; I have known of the man. Although he has been, as it were, buried for the last twenty-eight years, yet I have learned from the records of this county, from the transactions that have transpired in consequence of his connection with the growth and political existence of this county, sufficient to enable me to know that he was a man of extraordinary character; that he was a man of large ability. He was not only considered one of the first attorneys in Western Pennsylvania, but he was trusted also with the keeping and maintaining of the honors of the State. He was a member of the legislature; he was a member of the constitutional convention of 1838, and of whom it has been said by very able men that there were none more capable, or none who rendered more service in the formation of the constitution, than Orlo J. Hamlin. In the constitutional convention of 1873, one of its most distinguished members, ex-Chief-Justice Woodward, in his address to this body on the proposition to give to each county at least one representative in the lower branch of the legislature, said of the deceased: ' Mr. President, in the convention of 1837, there was a young man by the name of Hamlin, who discussed this subject in such a manner as to wring from Mr. Sergeant, the president of the convention, a very high compliment, and I undertake to say, that from the beginning to the end of the session of that body there was no subject so scientifically and thoroughly discussed as this subject of county representation by that young man. Since this debate has come up in this body, I have referred to the debates of the convention of 1837, and have read his speech, and I wish every gentleman here had clone so.' The people who have known him for years have known him as a man of great ability. They have known him as a man of great honesty and integrity; one who was at any and at all times, not only when in full life. but often he was confined to his room, when he was unable to exercise his full powers of thought by reason of suffering and pain, ready to adjust differences and quiet law suits between neighbors, he was one who was looked up to. He was consulted as to the settlement of difficulties arising among neighbors. He was a man who did honors to the profession, who never urged a law suit, but invariably took all trouble and pains possible to make neighbors respect each other as men. Therefore, he has stood high in the community. All who spoke of him gave him credit as being a man of worth, and a man, who, when he went out of society, was very much missed. His departure will be regretted so long as the old citizens of this county remain on this side of the dark and turbulent river over which Orlo J. Hamlin has triumphantly passed."
Judge Williams said: "It was not our good fortune to have a personal acquaintance with Mr. Hamlin. His active connection with the profession had closed before our connection with the courts of McKean county began. But through all the years of our attendance upon these courts we have heard but one opinion expressed of him. Whether he was spoken of as a citizen or as a lawyer, it has uniformly been in terms of high praise. From those who knew him when in his full strength, and met him in the contests of the court-room, we have gotten the opinion that he was recognized as a lawyer of more than ordinary painstaking, and of more than ordinary attainments; while as an advocate he was earnest, eloquent, and, before a jury who knew his own character, almost irresistible. During the long years of his retirement in a sick room he is reputed to have kept up his acquaintance with the literature of the age, to have been a careful student of the sciences, and indeed to have watched with interest even the recent changes and developments in progress about him. His long and successful professional career, his public services, his high personal character, and his recognized ability make this motion eminently proper, notwithstanding the fact that many years have elapsed since Mr. Hamlin's professional career closed. We entertain it with pleasure, and in compliance with it appoint the following committee, viz.: Hon. C. B. Curtis, A. G. Olmsted, J. O. Backus, W. W. Brown and P. Ford, Esq. And it is further ordered that as a mark of respect for the memory of the deceased these courts do now adjourn, and that this order be entered at length upon the minutes."
The committee appointed by the court to prepare resolutions of the sense of this bar presents the following resolutions, February 18, 1880, in open court:
Resolved, That the Court and Bar of this County sincerely mourn the death of oar esteemed deceased brother. O. J. Hamlin, a member of this bar for more than fifty years. Resorted, That we entertain the profoundest respect for the unsullied character of the deceased as a good citizen and a lawyer of sterling integrity, and of more than ordinary professional learning and ability.
Resolved, That we tender to the family of the deceased our sincerest condolence in their bereavement for their irreparable loss.
And now, February 19, 1880, it is ordered that the resolutions, reported by the committee appointed on the 16th day of February inst., be entered at length upon the minutes of this Court as a part of the proceedings of the day, and that the prothonotary make and deliver to the committee a copy hereof certified under his official seal for presentation lo the family of the said O. J. Hamlin, deceased.
The eulogies bestowed on the pioneer lawyer on that 18th day of February, 1880, only five days after he was called to the bar of the Supreme Court of the Universe, were not utterances of fashion or custom, The pioneer more than deserved this praise, for every act of his, during over half a century's residence in McKean county, was one bringing benefits to the community, county or district.
Mr. Hamlin was the father of three children: Henry, John C. and Pauline (wife of Robert King), who all live in Smethport.
BYRON D. HAMLIN. When the average young man of the present day is disposed to grumble at the fate that compels him to earn his living, and to complain of his "luck," it may be profitable to him to study the lives of the older men around him who are enjoying wealth and honorable position. He will discover that almost without exception their earlier days were fraught with struggling toil, and that their success is the result of earnest and persevering application of the hand and brain, and the prompt improvement of every opportunity offered. The gentleman whose name heads this sketch holds a most enviable position socially and financially. In the declining years of his life he is surrounded with all the comforts of a competence and the assurance of the respect and honor of his fellows, and the love of a large circle of friends and family connections. This is not the result of chance, but the reward of patient toil and persevering "endeavor. Equal success is in the power of any young man. Hen. Byron D. Hamlin, the senior resident-member of the McKean county bar, was born on May 7, 1824, at Sheshequin, Bradford Co., Penn., the youngest of seven children. His father, Dr. Asa Hamlin, was of English descent, while his in other, whose maiden name was Delano, came of French ancestry. His parents and ancestors had resided for many generations in Litchfield county, Conn., his father removing to Pennsylvania in 1816. Dr. Asa Hamlin, who was one of a family of twenty-one children, was bred on a farm, and brought up under the old Puritanical regime as practiced by the New England Presbyterians. Amusements were rare, and Sunday was a day to be dreaded. He had scanty opportunities for education or culture in his youth, yet he improved them so well that he secured a profession in which he held a respectable rank. In those days, however, doctors' fees were small and hard to get. In June, 1833, he removed to Smethport with his wife and two younger children--the subject of this sketch and his sister, Jenette--and died in 1835, leaving his family without financial means for their support. In this condition of things young Byron, then but a slight lad of eleven years, set about to find some self-supporting employment. The first that offered was an opportunity to peel and gather bark from old hemlock trees that had fallen. This he sold for fuel at $1 per cord, payable in store trade. In this occupation he succeeded in maintaining and clothing himself for some time, and even had sufficient surplus to purchase a handsome cream pitcher as a present to his mother. It cost 5 shillings and 6 pence, and is still preserved and highly prized as a relic of the struggles of his youth. After a time he was offered the position of mail-carrier between Smethport and Clean, N. Y., then the principal communication with the outside world, and he accepted it gratefully. He had to make two round trips a week, going to Clean and returning each Sunday, making a ride of fifty-six miles, and going Wednesday and returning on Thursday. The salary was 75 cents a trip, or $1.50 a week. The Sunday trip commenced at 4 A. M., and was generally concluded between 8 and 11 P. M., in all kinds of weather and at all seasons of the year. Young Byron began this occupation when thirteen years old, and continued it two years, during which time the mail rarely failed to be on time. His mode of conveyance was on the back of a mule, and Mr. Hamlin enjoys nothing better than to relate the comical, though often unpleasant, experiences of those days. By the improvement of odd hours with his books at the fireside, and an occasional few weeks at school, he had gained sufficient education to undertake teaching school at the age of sixteen on 3iarviu creek, about four miles from home, at $10 a month and "board around." The term lasted three months, and from the proceeds he was able to purchase a suit of clothes and a few books. His sister, Jenette, having married Rev. Moses Crow, a professor in Allegheny College, at Meadville, Penn., he accepted an invitation to makehis home with them, and enter the college. After about a year and a half, his brother-in-law's health failing, so that he was obliged to resign his professorship, young Byron, having no means to pay his expenses and continue his studies, returned to Smethport. He then accepted an offer of partnership in a little store owned by his brother, Orlo J. Hamlin, the whole stock of which would not inventory over $500. After about a year thus engaged, his brother-in-law, who had in the meantime united with the Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and been stationed at Geneva. N. Y., again invited him to live with him, and attend the college ill that beautiful town. The long hoped-for opportunity to complete a college course seemed to have arrived, and he hastily closed his interest in the store, and prepared to accept the offer. His profits in the year's business comprised a respectable wardrobe, and about $100 in bills receivable. He had in preparation for his trip a wooden trunk made by a carpenter and joiner (which is still preserved in the attic of his residence), in which all of his worldly wealth was stowed, when a few days before starting he received a letter stating that both Mr. and Mrs. Crow were lying at the point of death, from typhoid fever. He went there at once, on horseback, but found that his sister was dead and buried, and his brother-in-law almost at the point of death, so he was obliged to return to Smethport with his hopes disappointed, and his spirits crushed. By the advice of his brother, Orlo J., who was then practicing law in Smethport, he gave up the idea of completing a collegiate education, and entered his office as a student and clerk. This was in 1843, and in 1846 he was admitted to the bar of McKean county. His brother had the care of a number of landed estates, for various owners, and the attention to the details of this part of the business falling largely upon the young student, he early acquired a taste for it, and having given the subject his principal attention during his long professional career, he is an accepted authority upon legal as well as practical business questions relating to lands and land titles. In 1855 he accepted the agency of the lands of Keating & Co., then comprising nearly two hundred thousand acres of the two hundred and ninety-seven thousand they had purchased from William Bingham, in the year 1796, in McKean, Potter, Cameron, Clinton and Clear-field counties. He had their care and management to the year 1884, when he became the purchaser of what remained of this estate, and interested some of his family relatives with himself in its ownership--the business being conducted in the names of Byron D. Hamlin, Henry Hamlin and John Forrest.
In politics Mr. Hamlin is a Democrat. When a young man he was active and prominent as a local leader, and his party, then largely in the majority in the county and district, recognized his abilities and usefulness. In 1848, at the age of twenty-four, he was recommended by his county as a candidate for the legislature, but declined at the district convention in favor of G. W. Scofield, of Warren county, who was elected; in 1850 he was elected treasurer of McKean county; in 1852 he was sent to the State senate, in which body, although one of the youngest members, he took a leading and prominent position, and was elected as its presiding officer at the close of the session of 1854. He was re-nominated by the convention of his district at the close of his term, in 1855, but was defeated by Henry Souther, of Elk county, the candidate of the American and Free-Soil parties. Having a good clientage and extensive land estates under his care, he considered it his duty to those interests, and to his family, to withdraw from active political life to more congenial and profitable pursuits. He was tendered the nomination (which, in that district, was equivalent to an election) for president judge of the counties of Clearfield, Clinton and Centre, in 1868, but declined it. Since that time he has been urged by the people of in his own district, without regard to party, to stand as a candidate for judicial honors in it, but adhered to his often expressed determination to spend his life in domestic pursuits, without the slavery of public office. In 1882, however, he was induced, after repeated solicitations, to allow his name to be presented as the candidate of his party for the legislature. Although the county was Republican by a considerable majority, and he was opposed by the strongest candidate who could at that time have been nominated against him, he was defeated by less than a score of votes. In the dark period of our Nation's history (1861-65) Mr. Hamlin stood on the ground that the only way to correct the fallacies of those who sought to break the bond of union of the States was the physical one; all arguments appealing to the patriotism and reasoning faculties having failed. He was examined, and pronounced physically unfit for service in the field, but, immediately following the news of the first shot on Sumter, he applied himself to the work of encouraging and aiding the valorous young men of his region to enlist, for the defense of their country and their homes. He rendered efficient aid to Gem Thomas L. Kane, to whom he was much devoted, in selecting the valiant fellows who formed the famous Bucktail Regiment, and no compliment ever bestowed on him afforded him and his family more gratification than his election as an honorary comrade in that regiment, at the re-union of its survivors in 1888. Mr. Hamlin is now at the age of sixty-five years, a well-preserved gentleman, in the prime of his maturity and usefulness. Although his life has been full of toil and business cares, he has always been temperate in his habits, and has not wasted his energies or his health.
In 1846 he married Miss Harriet, daughter of John Holmes, of Smethport, who has by her faithful devotion, constant sympathy and good counsel, contributed largely to his success. They were blessed with children, one boy and two girls. The son, Delano R., died May 30, 1884, leaving a widow and two children. The eldest daughter, Jenette, married H. V. Redfield, the well-known Washington correspondent of the Cincinnati Commercial, who died November 17, 1881, leaving his wife and three lovely children. Mrs. Redfield was next married September 24, 1889, to William E. McCoy, an enterprising and substantial cotton manufacturer of Augusta, Ga., and with her children now resides in that healthful and attractive Southern city. The youngest daughter, Mary, married John Forrest, who is a lawyer and a partner with his father-in-law in the law and land business, and the main reliance for the details of the business of the firm. Mr. and Mrs. Forrest have two young daughters, who are the pride of their parents and grandparents. Mr. Hamlin is very domestic in his tastes, and is happiest when surrounded by his family, children and grandchildren. Helices in a comfortable mansion in Smethport, and enjoys with his family the competence and ease earned by his hand and brain throughout a busy and useful life.
HENRY HAMLIN, eldest son of Orlo J. and Orra L. (Cogswell) Hamlin, was born at Smethport, McKean Co., Penn., April 9, 1830. At this time his father, Orlo J. Hamlin, a man of rare scholarly attainments, and, until obliged by physical weakness to give up his profession, the leader of the bar of his district, was an active practitioner, and his son, who had inherited in a marked degree his father's love of books and research, and whose mind fitted him to follow in his footsteps, naturally at an early age commenced the study of law. Finding, however, that his health demanded a more active life, he concluded to take up the mercantile business, and entered as a clerk the store of O. J. & B. D. Hamlin, of which firm, at the age of nineteen, he was admitted as a partner. From this time on until the year 1878, when he sold out his interest in the business to Mr. Haskill, he was successful in all his ventures; strict integrity, close attention to business, and his wonderful faculty of acquiring a knowledge of the minutiae of everything he undertook, being the secret of his success, and the latter trait has followed him through life, not only in business matters, but even in out-door and other amusements, in which he has always taken a lively interest, ever ready to take a hand in them during his leisure moments, and never satisfied until he has mastered every feature. As a financier Mr. Hamlin has been wonderfully successful, making investments only after thorough investigation; and while he has been and is at present largely interested in timber lands in his own and other States, in the production of oil and in other commercial ventures, he rarely, makes a mistake or suffers a loss, his present banking establishment, known as the banking house of Henry Hamlin, being one of the solid institutions of Western Pennsylvania. A marked characteristic of Mr. Hamlin's business life has been his leniency toward the deserving poor among his debtors, as many a man in McKean county can attest, for while he has always worked under strict business rules and principles, he has never been an oppressor of the poor. Mr. Hamlin has done much for the prosperity of his native town: notably his connection with the present successful water-works system, the erection of his handsome bank building, which would be an ornament to a much larger place, .his own handsome grounds, and his interest in all matters of public improvement. In 1854 Mr. Hamlin married Hannah L., daughter of Dr. W. Y. McCoy, a lady who by reason of her many virtues has endeared herself to all classes of people. They have four children: Laena D. (now Mrs. Robert H. Rose), Emma M. (now Mrs. J. H. McCandiess), Eugenie M. and Orlo. To Mrs. Henry Hamlin and her sister, Mrs. John C. Hamlin, Smethport mainly owes its present Episcopal Church system. Mr. and Mrs. Hamlin and their children are all members of St. Luke's Church, Mr. Hamlin contributing largely toward the erection of the church edifice. In politics Mr. Hamlin was formerly identified with the Democratic party, but is at present an active Republican, coming into the Republican ranks by his support of Abraham Lincoln. In 1881 he was elected associate judge, and he performed the duties of that office with great credit to himself and in the interest of his constituents until the abolishment of the office by reason of the county becoming a separate judicial district, under the constitution of 1874, it then having a population of over 407000. Mr. Hamlin is widely known and universally respected, and his career as a business man and as a citizen has been such as to be an example to young men, showing what can be done by application and a conscientious performance of business and other duties.
JOHN C. HAMLIN, hardware merchant, Smethport, son of Orlo J. Hamlin, was born March 4, 1836, at Smethport, McKean Co., Penn., where he was educated and where, in 1865, he opened the first store exclusively for hardware, a business he is still engaged m. In 1857 he married Charlotte M., daughter of Dr. W. Y. McCoy, one of the first practicing physicians of Smethport, which union was blessed with three children: William O., C. Aline (now Mrs. Dr. Lewis H Robinson, of Brooklyn, N. Y.) and Mary E. (now Mrs. Charles Bosworth, also of Brooklyn, N.Y.). William O. married Miss Julia Lightbody, and is also a resident of Brooklyn. Mr. Hamlin is a member of McKean Lodge, F. & A. M., No. 388; of Bradford Chapter, R. A. M., and Trinity Commandery, K.T. He is a Democrat, but not a politician, devoting his time and energies to business cares. He and his family are members of St. Luke's Episcopal Church. The foundation and prosperity of the church afford an example of the reward of twenty years of untiring labor by Mr. and Mrs. Hamlin, who maintained the Sunday-school and church affairs in. general, from 1857 to about 1880, when St. Luke's had grown to be a strong parish, and since then it has become one of the largest and most flourishing in the county.
DELANO R. HAMLIN was born at Smethport, McKean Co., Penn., August 10, 1847. He was the only son of Byron D. and Harriet Hamlin, and was the eldest of their family of three children. After having attended the public schools of his native borough until he was thirteen years old, he was sent to a public school at Flushing, L. I., and two years later entered Flushing Institute, conducted by that prince of educators, Prof. E. A. Fairchild. The damp sea-air at that place disagreeing with his health, he was removed to Allegheny College, at Meadville, Penn., where he made excellent studies, and remained until 1868, when he returned to his home, and entered upon the study of law in his father's office. He was admitted to the bar, and on January 1, 1871, became a partner in his father's law and land business, under the firm name of Hamlin & Son, and continued as such until his death. In 1871 Mr. Hamlin married Miss Eugenia McCoy, a daughter of Dr. William Y. McCoy, of Smethport. This union was a happy one, the parties to it being congenial, each striving for the welfare and rational enjoyment of the other. They were blessed with two promising children: Paul and Jenette, the son being now a student in St. Paul's school at Concord, N. H., and the daughter at home with her mother, who keeps house in the beautiful family mansion erected for her by her husband a short time before his death. At an early age the subject of this sketch became a victim to attacks of inflammatory rheumatism, which continued at intervals, producing hypertrophy of the heart, and finally causing his death, which occurred May 30, 1884. His remains were buried in Rose Hill Cemetery, at Smethport, the funeral services being witnessed by a large concourse of sorrowing friends, assembled from all parts of the county, as a young man he started in life with bright prospects and high resolves, and, had his health and life been spared, no man in this region would have attained a higher station of honor and usefulness. His characteristics, habits and ambitions all tended toward the true and the right. He had not in his nature an impure, mean or ungenerous impulse. His sympathies were ever active, and his heart and purse always open to the demands of charity and the public good. He was eminently public spirited, and always ready to advance every enterprise for the benefit of the community. In politics he was of the Democratic faith, ardent in the support of his views, laboring earnestly for the candidates of his political party, but never seeking office for himself. He was sincerely and actively interested in the prosperity of his native borough and count)-, and his loss was deeply felt and deplored by all. He was a faithful member of St. Luke's Protestant Episcopal Church, was a member of Trinity Commandery, No. 58, K. T., of Bradford; Bradford Chapter, No. 260, R. A. M., and McKean Lodge, No. 388, A. Y. M., and an honorary member of the Smethport Hose Company, No. 1, many of the members of these organizations being present to sympathize with his bereaved family, and aid in the performance of the last sad rites. Following his death, action was taken as shown in the following resolutions of respect and condolence. At a meeting of the McKean county bar, the following resolutions were adopted :
The members of the bar of McKean county desire to express their deep sorrow over the death of Brother D. R. Hamlin. His amiable disposition, his gentlemanliness, his uniform conduct to all, and his hospitality, won the affections of his brethren of the bar as his ability, modesty, honesty, and truthfulness won their respect. The members of the bar desire further to express their sympathy with the parents and widow of the deceased in the loss of son and husband so richly endowed with qualities which make the relationship of parents and children one of unalloyed satisfaction, and the association of husband and wife uninterrupted happiness: John C. Backus, N. B. Smiley, J. M. McClure, committee. It was ordered that the resolutions be spread upon the minutes of the court, and ,s certified copy be sent to B. D. Hamlin and family. Appropriate and feeling remarks were made by the following gentlemen: Judge Olmsted, and Messrs. Backus, Gorton, Keenan, Smiley, Milliken, King, Smith, Cotter, McSweeney, Well, Chapman, McClure and Rose.
At a regular meeting of the Smethport Hose Company, No. 1, the following resolutions were adopted:
WHEREAS, The final roll has been called and one whose name appeared at the head of our list as the first honorary member of our association has courageously and even cheerfully answered its imperative summons, whereby we have lost a genial companion, a well-loved friend, a ready helper, and a generous benefactor; and,
WHEREAS, For the first time the darkened chambers of the silent city have been opened to receive one of our members, we, the officers and members of the 8methport Hose Company, No. 1, express our sincere sorrow for the loss of one whose aid and advice have been invaluable to our success, and whose patience and cheerfulness under great affliction were proverbial; and we desire hereby to express our heartfelt sympathy with the parents and family of our deceased brother, Delano R. Hamlin. in their great bereavement. Resolved, That a copy- of these resolutions be presented to the widow of the deceased brother, and a cop3 furnished the McKean Miner and the McKean Democrat for publication: F. W. Brownell, S. Gorton, T. F. Richmond. committee.
At a regular meeting of McKean Lodge, No. 388, A. Y. M., the following preamble and resolutions were adopted:
WHEREAS, It has pleased the Great Master of the universe, who doeth all things well, to call from this world of labor, sorrow and pain our beloved Brother, Delano R. Hamlin, whose life has ever been an exponent of the beneficent principles taught within the lodge and who by the constant exercise of charity, patience and resignation under suffering, and the faithful discharge of every duty, had endeared him to his fellows, resolved, That while we mourn the loss of a friend and brother, we bow submissively to the decree of the great and all-wise Master, and tender to the bereaved family of our departed brother our deepest sympathy in this their great affliction. Resolved, That these resolutions be engrossed upon the minutes of the lodge, a copy presented to the family of our deceased brother, and that they be published in the Miner and Democrat: H. F. Barbour, L. O. Chadwick, G. M Smith, committee.
ORREN E. HAVEN, farmer, P. O. Smethport, is a son of Luther and Jemima (Colegrove) Haven, and was born in Norwich township, McKean Co., Penn., December 1, l820. His father came from Chenango county, N. Y., about 1820, and located at Colegrove, where he engaged in farming, remaining there until 1847, in which year he removed to McHenry county, Ill., where he died March 1, 1855, and his wife November 11. 1861. Their children were Lorinda P., Jasper J., Benjamin C., Orren E., Helen O., Edson G. and Edmund F. (twins), and Fidelia C., eight children, all living, the eldest now seventy-three years old and the youngest sixty-one. Their father took an active interest in educational matters, and during his residence in Norwich township paid one-third of the entire sum raised for educational purposes. Orren E. Haven made his home with his parents until twenty years of age. and having received a practical education became a teacher; for some time was also engaged in searing timber. In 1851 he married Eunice, daughter of Henry Lasher, of Norwich township, McKean county, and located in Keating township, on a farm he had previously purchased and where he has since resided. Mr. and Mrs. Haven have three children: D. L., Clyde P. and Mittie L. They are members of the Old Norwich Church. In polities he is a Republican, has filled nearly all of the local township offices, and was urged to accept the nomination for county commissioner, but declined.
F. S. HOLMES, proprietor of planing-mill, Coryville, was born in Geneseo, Livingston Co., N. Y, in 1850. He learned the trade of a carpenter and joiner, and located at Coryville, Penn., in 1874, where he had a planing-mill, which was destroyed by fire in 1885, after which he built what is known as the Iron Mill, of which he is at present proprietor. In 1874 he married Ella C., daughter of A. H. Cory, of Coryville, and they have a family of four children. Mr. Holmes is a member of Eldred Lodge, No. 5, F. & A. M-, and in politics is identified with the Republican party. He and his wife are members of the United Brethren Church.
P. D. HOPKINS, merchant, Smethport, son of P. C. and Anice (Franklin) Hopkins, was born at Lenox, Susquehanna Co., Penn., in 1848. With his parents he removed to Lafayette township, McKean county, where his father engaged in farming, and in 1868 the latter proceeded to Michigan, where he died in the fall of 1887. His widow makes her home with P. D. Their children were Clark B., Mary E. (now Mrs. William Foster), Patience C., Sarah L., Clarissa, Edwin I., Alonzo F., Caroline A. (now Mrs. Stephen Pattison) and P. D. P.D. Hopkins was reared and educated in McKean county, and after his school days engaged in business at Smethport as a dealer in general merchandise, in the building he still occupies. In 1884 he married Annie E., daughter of William and Mary Wilkinson, and they have one child, Bessie. Mr. Hopkins devotes his entire time to business, and although a stanch supporter of the Republican party is no politician. He and his wife attend the services of the Baptist Church.
OLIVER IRONS, farmer, stock raiser, and proprietor of cheese factory, P. O. Smethport, is a son of Gideon and Miami Irons, and was born in Keating township, McKean Co., Penn., in 1828. Gideon Irons was a native of Rhode Island, and removed to Keating township at a very early day, where he married Miami Stark, and engaged in farming. They were the parents of the following-named children: Oliver, Clark, Otis, William, Stephen, George, Olive, Sirena and Lydia. Oliver Irons made his home with his parents until 1851, when he married Ann Housler, and to them were born six children: Wilbur O., Malissa A., Florence A., George C., Willis W. and Isadore A. He has devoted his attention to farming and stock raising, and has also erected a cheese factory on his farm, with a capacity of four tons annually. The milk is supplied from his own cows, and his cheese have more than a local reputation. Mr. Irons is a worker in the Democratic party.
OTIS IRONS, farmer, P. O: Smethport, son of Gideon and Miami Irons, was born in Port Allegany, McKean Co., Penn., in 1830. Gideon Irons, who was a native of Rhode Island, came to McKean county at an early day, and located on Potato creek where he engaged in business as a farmer and lumberman, and where both he and his wife died. Otis Irons made his home with his parents until twenty-two years of age, when he bought the farm he now owns in Keating township, to which he removed after his marriage, and where he has since been engaged in farming. He was married in 1870 to Sarah Hand. In poll tics he is a Democrat.
STEPHEN IRONS, farmer, lumberman and oil producer, P. O. Smethport, is a son of Gideon and Miami Irons, and was born in Smethport, McKean Co., Penn., in 1834. Gideon Irons was born in Rhode Island and was one of the oldest settlers of McKean county, Penn. Stephen made his home with his parents until 1855, when he married Julia, daughter of Joel Cross, of Chautauqua county, N.Y. The mother of Mrs. Julia Irons, before marriage, was Miss Julianna Medberry, a native of Connecticut, born in 1812, and daughter of Joseph Medberry. They then located on Marvin creek, and from there removed to Minnesota, in 1864, but on account of the ill health of Mrs. Irons returned to Keating township, McKean Co., Penn., and in 1868 he purchased the old homestead in Irons Hollow, where he has since been engaged in farming, as well as in the oil and lumber business. Their children are Eugene, Gideon, Jeptha and Mrs. Emma Chadwick. Mr. Irons has been honored in having been supervisor of his township two terms. He is a Democrat in politics. Mrs. Irons, although belonging to no church, is a believer in baptism and the Church of God.
JOHN KEATING was born at Adare, near Limerick, Ireland, in 1760. The family was of Norman stock, emigrating to Ireland under Henry II. They were dispossessed of their lands by Cromwell. John Keating's grandfather, Byron Geoffrey, fought at the battle of Limerick, and was banished to France at the capitulation; subsequently he returned and married the daughter of Thadeus Quln, the progenitor of the lord of Adare, to whose title was afterward added that of Dunraven. When John Keating was five years of age, his father moved to France in order to escape religious persecution. There he was granted letters patent of nobility by Louis XV in recognition of the title held by the family in Ireland, previous to the forfeiture of their estates. Of his six sons, five entered the French army, one of whom attained the rank of general of division, and died from the effects of imprisonment during the "reign of terror." Geoffrey Keating, the Irish historian, was the brother of John Keating's great-great-grandfather. John attained the rank of captain in the Irish Brigade, Walsh Serrant Regiment, and was awarded the cross of St. Louis in recognition of his meritorious service, a rare distinction. After the execution of the king, John, who was stationed in the West Indies, in 1795, refused command of the forces stationed in San Domingo, proposed by the government, resigned from the French service because of his disapproval of the atrocities of the revolution, and came to this country, bearing letters to Washington and others. He was immediately sought after by capitalists abroad to represent their interests here, and became the agent of large landed estates in Pennsylvania. The part of his life of especial interest to the people of the counties, for whom this volume is compiled, relates to his connection with the large body of lands acquired near the close of the last century, and known as the lands of John Keating & Company. The entire management of this property devolved on him. This region was then a dense wilderness, with not a white man dwelling in or near it. Mr. Keating at once set out to " settle" it in the interest of the owners, and for the benefit of such as he could induce to become pioneers, and come to it with their families to make homes. The labor, privation and peril attending such an endeavor are shown in other parts of this volume. He came early and frequently on the grounds. The trip then cost much more thought and exertion than are now required to circumnavigate the globe. The skill exercised to make the settlements he founded self-supporting, and at the same time render some revenue to the owners of the estate, though of a different sort, was hardly less than that necessary to conduct a campaign in the wars in which he had been engaged. He at once adopted a policy of great generosity; granting land in limited quantities to heads of families, without other considerations than its occupancy and improvement; giving contracts for sales at low prices and on long terms of payment; contributing money to build roads and to establish schools and places of religious worship. No settler who desired to remain was ever ejected because of his inability to pay for land he had contracted to purchase. Mr. Keating was known to many of the settlers as the " Squire," and his coming among them was an epoch in their isolated lives, they calling him so for advice in all their affairs, both business and domestic. His decisions were regarded by them as wise and just, and were generally accepted. He had a sympathetic and endearing word for all. These visits were continued for well nigh fifty years, and until he saw unmistakable evidence of the comparative comfort of the inhabitants he had placed here. When great age came upon him and these visits ceased, his people continued to inquire after him in terms of affection. At the news of his death, some of the old men who knew him as their patron saint, and were indebted to him for all they possessed, shed tears. He was an intimate, social friend of Horace Binney, John Sergeant and others equally eminent in the professions, literature and business, and resided in a handsome old-style mansion on Fourth street, below Walnut, in the city of Philadelphia, this then being the locality of the homes of its most cultured residents. The management of such estates, together with the financial and-charitable institutions, with which he became connected in Philadelphia, occupied the balance of his days. He died in 1856, at the advanced age of ninety-five years, but still in the midst of active work, having scarcely ever known a day's sickness. In religion he was a devout Roman Catholic, and left an example of piety and good deeds, which his children and children's children cherish as their richest inheritance. Mr. Keating married Eulalia Des Chappelles, daughter of a rich sugar planter of San Domingo, who was forced to fly from that island during the negro uprising, and take refuge in Wilmington, Del. Mr. and Mrs. Keating had two sons--John Julius and William H.--who became eminent in their chosen professions, were both members of the legislature, but died in their early manhood. They had one daughter who married her cousin, Jerome Keating, and became the mother of Dr. William ¥. Keating, the eminent physician and surgeon of Philadelphia. who at his grandfather's death, in 1856, took charge of the landed estates his grandfather had so successfully conducted. Dr. Keating possessed the same noble and generous qualities of his grandfather, and while he was distinguished in the medical world, he became equally endeared to the people where the lands were situated. Dr. Keating has two sons residing in Philadelphia, both of whom have already made a mark in their respective professions: John M. Keating (a physician and medical director of a prominent insurance company in Philadelphia, and lately elected president of a society composed of all the principal medical directors of the United States) and J. Percy Keating, a lawyer of excellent attain-meats. Dr. Keating has four accomplished daughters, two of whom are well married, and all reside in Philadelphia.
E. L. KEENAN, attorney at law, Smethport, son of John and Eliza (Lloyd) Keenan, was born in the city of Philadelphia in 1844. There he pursued his studies, read law, was admitted to the bar on his twenty-first birthday, and first began the practice of law in that city. In 1880 he married Miss Mary S. Feitig, and removed to Venango county, same State, remaining until 1879, when he located at Smethport, McKean Co., Penn., where he has built up a good practice. He had always voted the Democratic ticket until 1888, when the issue on the tariff compelled him to suspend his connection with his old party, and become a supporter of Harrison. In 1884 he was delegate to the National Democratic convention held at Chicago, which nominated Cleveland for president; and in 18S6 was the Democratic candidate for member of congress from the Sixteenth Congressional District of Pennsylvania, but was defeated by the Republican candidate, Heavy C. McCormick, of Williamsport; in 1877 he was the candidate of the Democratic and Union Labor parties for additional law judge for counties of McKean and Potter. Mr. Keenan is one of the self-made men of the day, and has won an eminent reputation at the bar; by application he has secured a fine property and enjoys the respect and confidence of the community in which he lives. Mr. and Mrs. Keenan are the parents of three daughters: Mary E., Lulu E. and Dora V. He is a vestryman of St. Luke's Episcopal Church, of which his family are also members. J. T. KENT: farmer and lumberman, P. O. Coryville, is a son of R. C. and Prudence (Wood) Kent, and was born in Allegany county, N. Y., in 1844. In 1853 R. C. Kent removed from New York State to Liberty township, McKean Co., Penn., and thence to Keating township, same county, and located on the farm J. T. Kent now owns. He had a family of twelve children, six of whom are living, viz. : Cordelia, wife of Manville Tuttle; Louise, wife of S. Tuttle; Laura, wife of F. Moody; Alvina, wife of H. R. Frisbee; America, wife of Asa Champlin, and J.T. Our subject was reared in Keating township, and after his marriage located on the home farm which he now owns, an (l has since been engaged in farming and in the lumber trade. He was married in 1866 to Charity Otto, and they have a family of four children: Frank, Winnie, May and Fred. Mr. Kent is a Prohibitionist in politics.
G. W. KING, farmer, East Smethport, was born in Smethport, Penn., August 8, 1844, a son of H. B. and Jerusha (Rice) King, both natives of Rhode Island. H.B. King came to Smethport about the year 1818, and here met and married Miss Rice, who bore him nine children, of whom G. W. is the only one now living. The father died in June, 1880, the mother in June; 1862. H.B. King was a leading member of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Smethport for over half a century, and in his death the church met with a great loss. G.W. King, the subject proper of this sketch, received his education in the public schools of Smethport, and in 1861 he enlisted in the United States service, in Company E, Fifty-eighth Regiment, P. V. I., served five months, and was discharged on account of disability. In December, 1863, he married Miss Henrietta, daughter of Andrew and Amelia (Dart) Rifle, of Hamlin township, McKean county, who bore him one son, Wilford A. In 1881 G. W. King embarked in the mercantile business in Mount Jewett, McKean county, and there remained two years, at the end of which time he came to Smethport, where he was engaged in the same line of business for a short time. In December, 1881, he married Miss Clara E. Bauer, of Pine Grove, Schuylkill Co., Penn., and by her has had three children: Horace B., Roxie and Lloyd L. Mr. King and family live on the old homestead, which he farms. He is a member of Smethport Lodge, No. 389, I. O. O. F., and has held various township offices. In politics he is a Republican.