Source History of Jefferson County 1888 pages 245-246
The Troy Church (Summerville post office) is located on the Low Grade Division of the Allegheny Valley Railroad, and was the tenth in the order of organization. Revs. Elder and Leason were the committee and attended to the duties of their appointment August 22, 1871. Fifteen persons, all members of Pisgah with two exceptions, entered the organization. The meeting was held in the Methodist Episcopal Church and a memorable discourse was preached by the venerable Richard Lea, D.D., of Pittsburgh, the theme being the words found in Revelations xxii, 17, "The Spirit and the bride say, come." Their sanctuary, which cost them about $4,000, and which with some extensive repairs made in 1886, affords them an elegant place of worship, was completed in the fall of 1874, and dedicated January 15, 1875. The church has recently organized a ladies' missionary society, is free of debt, has good officers, enrolls thirty-eight members, and is sanguine for the future. There is no reason, it is believed, why it should not become by and by a strong, self-sustaining organization.
Since that time the church has only had occasional supplies, but is very desirous of securing a pastor.
- Rev. Ross Stevenson, D.D., was pastor from November, 1871, to February, 1876.
- Rev. J.M. McCurdy was stated supply from April, 1877, to April, 1885.
- Mr. A.T. Aller, a student from the seminary, preached regularly in the church for one-third time during the summer of 1885.
Contributed for use by the Jefferson County Genealogy Project http://www.pa-roots.com/jefferson/)
Jefferson County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Jefferson County Church Page
Return to the Jefferson County Genealogy Project
(c) Jefferson County Genealogy Project