Richardsville Presbyterian Church
Source History of Jefferson County 1888 page 244
Richardsville is found to be sixth on the list, and was organized in the
fall of 1851 with a score of members, Revs. David Polk and C.P. Cummins, M.D.,
being the presbyterial committee. James Moorhead, SR., John Wakefield, and L.E.
Bartlett, were ordained and installed at the organization as ruling elders,
and D.W. Moorhead and John Slack as deacons. The name of the church at first
was Pine Grove, but it was changed to Richardsville September 5, 1860. A
school-house was used as a place of worship until 1858, when a comfortable
church building was erected. The total membership of the church has amounted
to about 150 and at the present writing is reported at 30.
Since that date to the present writing the church has had no regular
- Rev. David Polk, stated supply the first five years;
- Rev. William McMichael, stated supply for one year, from April, 1859;
- Rev. T.S. Leason, pastor from September, 1860, to April, 1863;
- Rev. W.H. Filson, pastor for one-fourth of his time from September,
1871, to April, 1875;
- Rev. A.B. Fields, stated supply June, 1884, to April 1886.
Contributed for use by the Jefferson County Genealogy Project
Jefferson County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any
presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Jefferson County Church